Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Advertisements

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
Off-Topic Advertisements
OP: January 17, 2020, 09:00:45 AM
I am adding a note to the top of this post so that you see it first. A thank you to AlvinTheMaker for this link. If the ads are being serviced from google (not within my control, but most common), go to this link and you can set it for ads personalized to your preferences--according to your browsing. I know, it's still annoying ads, but it should help you to avoid the dating ads--I have that blocked in categories and it's not working.

Yes, as you have noticed, the forum now has ads running. Sorry, I don't like it either, but I need to pay to run this site, the main site and the blog and this is part of how I do it. I had them running a couple years ago through a plugin and then there was a problem between plugins after an upgrade or something. I actually did not think they would get them running on the forum this quickly, I've been working for two weeks to get the blog prepared, but since both the forum and blog are part of the same top domain, they got going at the same time. So sorry, I was  going to post something before to prepare you.

Instead of a plugin, I am using Ezoic. They are a company that manages the ads for me. When I first began running ads years ago, they were often tailored to the content of a site, now--from my own browsing experience--they are tailored to the personal user and where/what they browse.
But I still want and need feedback from you so I can report it to Ezoic about inappropriate ads.
Please use this thread to offer ideas or reports.

Thank You

PS
Previously a no-ads experience was part of the paid subscription. I am going to talk to Ezoic and ask at the simplemachines forum board about how to do that again. It may be different since these ads are coming through from Ezoic and not a plugin. I should be able to control it in user permissions, but it might be a different area of the permissions since it is from a different source now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:35:37 PM by Rollercoasterider »

Re: Advertisements
#1: January 17, 2020, 09:21:55 AM
Well I'd have to say my ads don't seem to be related to my searches or browsing.  I'm getting ads for dating sexy single moms, ads for moms who can be naughty, ads for singles dating apps, and the like.  None I have ever searched for or browsed as I'm not single, or interested in mom's or dads naughty or otherwise. 

And I seriously doubt the other lady I spoke with this morning about these ads has ever searched for or booked a gay mans cruise. 

Offensive and annoying.

Lp
if people won’t listen to you, there’s no point in talking to people. If they won’t listen, you’re just banging your head against a wall.

Sadly Ive used up all the time I had allotted to spend banging my head on the wall

#2: January 17, 2020, 09:27:57 AM
Mine have been home improvement, household related stuff - so seems to be matching my browsing profile.
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

• Mentor
#3: January 17, 2020, 09:44:39 AM
So far I haven't seen anything inappropriate, just dating sites, divorce attorneys (ironically my X's was one of them at one point), or how to save your marriage, etc.  I never read them.

Nothing I searched for, it seems more geared to what this site is about.  Marriage, divorce, getting your spouse back.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

m
#4: January 17, 2020, 10:37:30 AM
My immediate comment is this: the ads are understandable, but on Safari/Mac they are being served as the top 20% of the window and cover the bottom 10% of the window. So a little less than the 1/3 of the screen either has no content or is blocking content. That is irritating. It would be much better if they were on a column or at least grouped in one area.

Specially the bottom overlay on top of content.

I for one would be very happy to pay a subscription to not see these and support the cost of maintaining the site.

P.S. I just got served with an ad about "Top 10 reasons why Men pull away from Women." That may be a somewhat touchy subject here.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

• Administrator
#5: January 17, 2020, 10:45:32 AM
For the moment I can hit the X which gets rid of the ad until I click on something else.

So at least the whole screen is just the forum.

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#6: January 17, 2020, 01:13:24 PM
Thanks--especially LawProfessor since yours are not a browsing match and Thunder who sees stuff that makes sense with the site content.
Ezoic is new to me here--it's jsut sort of run itself at the main site and since that is not a community, I have not received feedback as to the content.
The person who is helping me now--just a support ticket though--said something about a categories app for ads as well as a blocker app and I'm supposed to ad a file to my root.
As I said before I thought there was more on my end to be done before ad began here at the forum and In had planned to get some of that done once the blog ads were going.
I'm going to go look at those aps now and read the instructions for the file to add to my root directory.

M
#7: January 17, 2020, 02:52:28 PM
I have apple for everything and it's like Marvin said, I only see a third of the screen. My ads don't have anything in them, just like a white veil.  It's very annoying. I guess I would pay a subscription to belong to the forum but I feel that might cut out many LBSes who are struggling financially but desperately need help.

I have seen the ads for years on the main site but they are on the side, and the articles once opened, take a while to read. With the forum, we click quickly from one page to the other, and it's continuously having to put them off, plus it takes for ever for the pages to open up. Really frustrating.
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

#8: January 17, 2020, 04:49:52 PM
Opened HS and once again got NAUGHTY MOMS that want to date me.  Tried to upload a screenshot but of course that didn't work. 
if people won’t listen to you, there’s no point in talking to people. If they won’t listen, you’re just banging your head against a wall.

Sadly Ive used up all the time I had allotted to spend banging my head on the wall

#9: January 17, 2020, 04:51:24 PM
File was too large to upload but it wasn't too large to cover my screen when I opened HS.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.