Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Growing up, and looking back.... how many MLC's did you see (and not know it)?

H
My FIL had a MLC while I was dating my ex-husband.  I thought at the time he had mental illness.  FIL quit his job, started an affair with his old high school sweetheart, maxed out several credit cards, stole money from his wife, and it all ended extremely bad.

I worked at a large automobile manufacturing company for 8 years in my twenties and I saw many MLCs.  At the time, I did not know it but looking back now it is so obvious.  The one that stands out the most is a male co-worker that was in his mid-forties.  He started hitting on the younger girls in the office, left his wife, and had both nipples pierced. :o

Several years later I was employed at a small community bank.  We had a customer whose husband was a vanisher.  He owned his own business, and it was quite profitable.  They built a large home together and our bank held the mortgage.  She was a stay at home mom of 2 teenage boys.  One day her husband told her he was not happy and then took off.  He would not respond to her calls or text.  She made it 2 years before the money ran out and the bank foreclosed on her home.

Six months before my own BD, my co-worker’s husband which was in his early forties left her for a 25- year old women.  I thank God for her every day.  She has been a huge blessing helping me get through my trauma from my husband’s MLC destruction.

I have always noticed people in MLC by their eyes.  For many years, I didn’t know what it was but now I know that the blank, lost stare is…. MLC.  I met my therapist’s husband shortly after my own BD and I recognized those crazy eyes in him.   Sure enough…. two weeks later I see my therapist and she is a mess.  She shared with me that her 45-year-old husband was having an affair with the 25-year-old neighbor lady.  I wasn’t even shocked; I could tell by his eyes that he was in crisis!

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.