Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe! #4

• Mentor
Off-Topic Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe! #4
#20: July 21, 2020, 06:01:55 AM
I wanted to thank you Nerissa for volunteering to receive the vaccine in clinical trials.

This vaccine is sounding very good. I often tell people who are skeptical that we have made several vaccines in the past so there is good science regarding this...it's not just something new..and if I understand correctly, Cambridge had been working on corona virus vaccines for several years.

I will say though that you are very brave to be one of the test subjects!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:39:42 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe! #4
#21: July 21, 2020, 06:35:15 AM
I had an initial mild reaction of the kind to be expected after a vaccination.  Otherwise all normal.  I understand I will know in about a year the details of what I was given.

Well it seems that you must have gotten something if you had a reaction.
This is great anecdotal information, thank you for sharing.

m
#22: July 21, 2020, 06:36:15 AM
I will say though that you are very brave to be one of the test subjects!

It does take a sense of volunteering, community and caring for others and bravery. Kind of the polar opposite of the narcissistic non mask wearing people who want their "freedoms."

But vaccines, even in trial, are relatively safe. Not that there can not be some adverse reaction, but we do not expose humans to dangerous test situations without precursor testing and/or a clear understanding of the procedure. For example if the vaccine is made of proteins from the surface of the virus (which I believe most are targeting specific ones) then it is really just using the same procedure we know well (safe) but using a different protein "signature" to teach the immune system. The overall reactions should be very much in line with other similar vaccines. Question is are we teaching the right signature and will immune system then respond rapidly to the real virus.

And mild reactions are actually normal, this is part of the light immune reaction that some subjects have. In fact in some vaccines having no reaction may be an indication that there was no immune response (but not always).
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

M
#23: July 21, 2020, 03:14:23 PM
Fascinating stuff. Incredible really.

Here in Italy, we have been 'free' since May 18th, so over 2 months. We are still obligated to wear masks indoors in public places, but since the beginning of July, it's no longer illegal not to wear a mask outdoors, although most people still wear a mask outside, especially in busy streets. Restaurants and stores can scan you to take your temperature, and you must use antibacterial gel before entering. Gel must be provided by all stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc. It seems to be working quite well so far. Our numbers are pretty good. We've had a slight increase just lately due to foreigners entering the country (15 out of 17 cases in Tuscany are foreigners) . We are getting some northern European tourists, but we were also allowing flights from the middle east and other places. They are now on hold.

I'm only a lay person, but my impression is that we are much better equipped now if we are to have an outbreak, than we were the first time. We have more hospital beds, and we have some treatments that help. A vaccination is the best possible solution, but the positive trials on drugs such as this steroid (apologies to the scientists out there for not knowing the correct term) are going to be a huge help, too.

From those I've known who've had this virus without serious consequences, it is a very nasty flu. It's not your regular flu. I think the secret is being able to monitor those who are very sick in a hospital environment as soon as possible. I heard on the news tonight here, that they are seeking more doctors.
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

N
#24: July 22, 2020, 03:22:21 AM
if I understand correctly, Cambridge had been working on corona virus vaccines for several years

Yes, XYCZF, specifically MERS, I think, which is also a coronavirus, so much initial work was already completed.

I don’t Think I am  brave because, as Marvin said, they don’t just administer trials on people without a vast amount of information about safety.

I suppose the nuances of science are complicated.  They are rarely ‘sure’, but fairly sure; rarely ‘safe’ but ‘safer’.  Things happen ‘rarely’ rather than ‘never’.  I think this often confuses us when the reality is that we haven’t learned enough about science, and the complexities feel too onerous to read in articles which try to communicate science to a lay public.  The  headlines creating fear are more attention grabbing.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:26:20 AM by Nerissa »

• Administrator
#25: July 22, 2020, 05:06:45 AM
From those I've known who've had this virus without serious consequences, it is a very nasty flu. It's not your regular flu.

I agree and since I have had it now since May 4,
I am wondering if I will ever get rid of all the symptoms.

• Mentor
#26: July 22, 2020, 05:49:16 AM
I agree and since I have had it now since May 4,
I am wondering if I will ever get rid of all the symptoms.

I am so sorry OP. I see stories of several people whose symptoms stay longer than what is "expected". I pray that you will recover completely very soon.

I am thinking about other infectious diseases that sometimes linger, mononucleosis comes to mind as one that can take several weeks before the person feels normal. Yet in others, it clears more quickly. Each person's body responds differently, not only to COVID.

Vaccine preventable diseases like chickenpox and measles do not usually cause any long term harm, but in some individuals, there are long term effects and even deaths which is why it is so important to get vaccinated. Varicella which causes chichenpox remains in our bodies and can later cause shingles. Tuberculosis is another that can remain dormant and never cause any symptoms but may become active when a person is immunocompromised such as if they develop cancer or are started on some drugs which suppress the immune system.

Perhaps this is the case in people who are testing positive for COVID but who never develop symptoms.

I write about this, because COVID seems to be acting like other viruses do which may allow science to figure out how to treat it. There are "patterns" but the viruses and the body are very complicated.

Until an effective and safe vaccine is available, wear a mask, wash your hands and stay as much as possible away from other people.

I feel "better" these days when I have to go grocery shopping because masks are now mandatory, yet I still see people wearing them around their necks once they are in the store...they just refuse to get it.

OP, let us know how you are doing ok?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:52:43 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Administrator
#27: July 22, 2020, 06:32:15 AM
I am thinking about other infectious diseases that sometimes linger, mononucleosis comes to mind as one that can take several weeks before the person feels normal. Yet in others, it clears more quickly. Each person's body responds differently, not only to COVID.

I am thinking Lymes Disease which always stays in  your body,
or herpes, same thing, those can be triggered by something happening.
I believe its chickenpox that can give you shingles.

So its not exactly any different with this disease and  I am lucky that my symptoms are actually mild,
just not going away.

m
#28: July 22, 2020, 07:29:52 AM
I am thinking Lymes Disease which always stays in  your body,
or herpes, same thing, those can be triggered by something happening.
I believe its chickenpox that can give you shingles.

So its not exactly any different with this disease and  I am lucky that my symptoms are actually mild,
just not going away.

I am so sorry it is lingering, and it can't be pleasant. Is your medical team giving you any plans, ideas, approaches on what they are going to do to resolve?
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

• Administrator
#29: July 22, 2020, 07:31:13 AM
I am so sorry it is lingering, and it can't be pleasant. Is your medical team giving you any plans, ideas, approaches on what they are going to do to resolve?

NO - they give me - The gift of TIME as a cure.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.