Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Re: Forum Problems 2

S
  • Administrator
Off-Topic Re: Re: Forum Problems 2
#130: January 28, 2020, 02:19:30 PM
Ok, several things you should know. 

- This forum is currently configured to allow guest access to three boards:  Our Community, Resources, and Forum Information.  The Community board contains many threads discussing members' personal situations, and this info is available to all visitors/bots/spiders/etc.  All other boards are visible only to logged in members.

- The only data that is hashed in the forum database is your password.  Email address and all other info in your member profile are saved as clear text.  It is possible for any database to be hacked, this depends pretty much entirely on server security, which is usually host's responsibility unless you're running your own server, in which case you'd need to know exactly what you're doing.

-  All ad services are designed to collect personal information, and they will take whatever they can get, however they can get it, regardless of the few unenforceable laws that may be in place.  Once they have the data, there is no way to have them delete it, even if you know they have it, which you don't.  It's analyzed, aggregated, bought, sold, and traded, and very shortly ends up in many hands, none of which you're aware of.

- If you're using an Android device or Chrome browser, there's no point in being concerned about your privacy as you've already given it all away.  Android and Chrome have access to everything on your mobile or pc, and send data to Google at regular intervals whenever the device is operating.

A great deal of effort goes into keeping SMF forumware secure, there have been 17 updates to the current 2.0 branch, most, if not all, of which contain security patches to address new vulnerabilities and exploits that are an ongoing problem on the net.  I've cleaned up several forums that were hacked, none recently, and in those cases there were no indications that the database had been breached.  But you must consider that any info you put into your pc, mobile, and (especially) phone is at risk.  You can do some basic things to reasonably protect your online privacy, but no security on the internet is bulletproof, and this forum is no exception.

A
Re: Forum Problems 2
#131: January 28, 2020, 02:31:08 PM
Thank you, Sir!

Any explanation why my thread was ‘hijacked’ for a wild ride on view numbers? 
It racked up more than 20,000 views in a few hours.

Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

S
  • Administrator
Re: Re: Forum Problems 2
#132: January 28, 2020, 02:49:54 PM
Don't know, there was a big spike in overall views Jan 26 or 27, the numbers since end of Dec have been all over the place.  The busiest ips have been from legitimate areas.  It's possible someone launched an attack on the topic, but more likely it was something random.  I'm working with RCR on doing a clean rebuild, it will be easier to address these traffic anomalies when the forum is running right.

A
#133: January 29, 2020, 05:17:29 AM
Thank you, Sir O, for your reply. 
Hopefully, some explanation for the anomaly will come forth. 
Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

• Mentor
#134: January 31, 2020, 08:55:09 AM
Question -
when I click on "all" to go to the bottom of a thread. it still only takes me to the bottom of the first page. 
will this be corrected:?

Also, I have a message that my "uploader is full" when trying to post a photo.
Any thoughts bout that? 
I've PM'd another member, who might be able to help.

Thanks,
Sea

S
  • Administrator
#135: January 31, 2020, 07:57:16 PM
Question -
when I click on "all" to go to the bottom of a thread. it still only takes me to the bottom of the first page. 

That's interesting, never seen it before.  'Max topic size to show "All" posts' is set to 500 posts, that's unusually high.  There may be a limit above which it doesn't work correctly.  Will look into it.

Also, I have a message that my "uploader is full" when trying to post a photo.

If that's a forum error, post the complete error.  What are you uploading from?

• Mentor
#136: February 01, 2020, 04:59:24 AM
Thank you for your efforts, Sir.

I am only trying to upload a photo from my computer desktop, for instance (jpg).
Or a meme downloaded from the internet to my computer.

Thank you for your help (again)

Sea

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#137: February 01, 2020, 06:52:30 AM
Question -
That's interesting, never seen it before.  'Max topic size to show "All" posts' is set to 500 posts, that's unusually high.  There may be a limit above which it doesn't work correctly.  Will look into it.
Hmmm, It works perfectly for me--I tried it ALL from the board and from the thread and both worked fine. We do have a 150 post max, but that's not in settings, so threads can go above until they are locked, but I doubt we've ever even approached 500.

S
  • Administrator
#138: February 01, 2020, 07:37:02 PM
Just tried it on one of my forums in a 31 page topic, works fine, but I do see the problem here.  Best guess is it's another mod glitch.

I am only trying to upload a photo from my computer desktop, for instance (jpg).

Are you attaching it to a post in post editor?

• Mentor
#139: February 02, 2020, 08:05:52 AM
I still have the problem of "all" not taking me to the bottom of the last page (it used to to work fine).
And the problem of my uploader being full - I'm using the "attach" section below (choose file).

I would be happy to screen share if you're interested.
If that's a violation of privacy, I totally understand.

Sea

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.