Skip to main content

Author Topic: Mirror-Work Domestic Violence is a deal breaker PERIOD

Mirror-Work Re: Domestic Violence is a deal breaker PERIOD
#120: November 17, 2018, 08:35:48 AM
Yep Loyal just like anything that misbehaves around you..they get away with it once? They just keep doing it.

I'm sure no one would agree with methods I use for behavior modification in others. I have a cat. He's 17 pounds, so he's big.I love him (feed him, give him catnip, pet him, brush him, talk to him)  for some unknown reason would run into the room from out of nowhere and lay right into the side of my hand :o..I mean bite me pretty hard. >:(

He got away with it the first time because I wasn't expecting it. I kinda let it go. But it happened a second time and I took a swat at him. I missed as he was already running off the bed because he knew what he had done was wrong and he was going to get swatted.
After that when I heard him on his way into my room and he'd go for my hand he would get swatted. He wasn't expecting me to be ready for him.

What was I supposed to do ? Say" Awww the poor kitty he must be having some issues. Maybe he's having an MLC. I'll just put up with him until he's passed it."

NO it hurt and he needs to see how it feels. Only took a couple of times and he didn't try to do that anymore.

No you don't deserve to be abused Loyal and I'm so sorry that happened to you. And I was codependent too..I'm pretty sure I have my issues addressed this time. The good Lord knows I'm not taking one ounce of crap from anybody.Even if I feel just a little disrespected I let whoever it is have it. >:(
Over reaction? Maybe I'll get centered after a while. :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:39:03 AM by in it »
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

• Mentor
Re: Domestic Violence is a deal breaker PERIOD
#121: November 17, 2018, 08:49:17 AM
In It, you did the right thing with the cat.  Their not human beings, or children, you can't talk to them, or reason with them.
If they did that to the alpha cat/dog the alpha would probably hurt them back to teach them a lesson.  That's how their mothers taught them.  Oh if I hurt you you're going to hurt me worse, guess I better not do that again.  Pain they understand.

Now I know you wouldn't hurt your cat but putting fear in them is not a bad thing to teach them.
My one dog who was getting in the garbage got a swift swat on the butt.  Didn't hurt her but it scared her enough to stop doing it.

A spray bottle of water is always a good method too.   ;)
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

#122: November 17, 2018, 08:57:04 AM
The cat didn't do it only about twice and a spray bottle would have been too slow to spray him.

Well I told the ex after  I went back  and before he acted the way he did with me (of course this was after he lost his job because he choked his supervisor)

"You DO NOT put your hands on anyone in anger."

His response?

"I know."
Did he listen? Apparently not or I wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Am I responsible to teach a grown a$$ man right from wrong?If he doesn't know that by now I can't teach him. He should have learned that in kindergarten.

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.

#123: November 17, 2018, 10:35:27 AM
It is such a basic thing, but with more subtle emotional abuse, it can take a while to see the wood for the trees.
I am not responsible for anyone else's failure to manage their anger or need for power and control.
I am absolutely responsible for my safety, sanity and the ability to say No.
I just have to be prepared to deal with the consequences for me when I do...and often I think it is that fear which keeps us stuck for a while.
Love does not want to hurt you. If someone does, it is something other than love.
Unless you're a cat in which case it's just getting used to your human lol
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:38:52 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

L
#124: November 17, 2018, 10:55:22 AM
InIt, the story with your cat made me laugh and brought back sweet memories of my own two. I used the same method as Thunder when they were naughty and always had a water spray bottle near to hand, the two of them only had to see it and they`d disappear.

Your MLCer sounds just as berserk as mine  ::). What in heaven`s name made him  try to choke his supervisor, are you sure he wasn`t taking something??? As I wrote before, my MLCer was able to keep his c abuse secret from me for several years before I copped on.

Like you, I`ve never been one to let anybody walk all over me, am a very down to earth,  understanding (think I was MUCH too understanding in regards to my MLCer)  but at the same time straightforward person and have always been more than capable of standing up for myself, which makes it even harder to explain why I put up with his emotional and the last year he was here, physical abuse and threats.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:57:04 AM by Loyal »
Me: 56 (when he left in April 2017)
MLCer: 57 (when he left in April 2017)
Together since: 1986
Married: No
Children:No
Begin of P`s MLC: around Spring 2010 with breaks inbetween when he behaved like his pre MLC self.
OW: YES , he`s living together with an old spinster who just happens to live up the road.
Animals: 1 doggie, belongs to both of us but MLCers has abandoned him too.

"Surrender to what is, let go of what was, have faith in what will be"

#125: November 17, 2018, 11:35:30 AM
Loyal the only drugs he was taking at that time I knew of was one for diabetes.

He got totally POed because they had been away for work and the supervisor who was responsible for calling in the time was going to call it in for less hours then they actually worked.

Another guy who had been there for 30 years went into the office and straightened it out so there was no need for him (having worked there only 8 years) to go in there and express his opinion in a physical manner.

Before this he was passed over for a pay grade increase ( which he did deserve) If the people who put in for the pay grade increase had just kept their mouths shut to him that they had done that and waited to see if it was approved before they said something he might not have gotten so angry. But they told him that they recommended him for it and he didn't get it. He was making good money he really was all set without it.

But it doesn't matter he would have ended up like this in some other situation anyway.

It was in mediation for a year..it's a wonder just the stress of that didn't kill us all.
The outcome was: He could have his job back if he accepted lifetime probation and anger management classes.

He said he had no problem with the lifetime probation, but would not take the anger management classes. :o

• Mentor
#126: November 17, 2018, 12:01:43 PM
Why doesn't that surprise me?  Nothing wrong with them   ::) ::)

It's every one else's fault.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

#127: November 17, 2018, 12:32:29 PM
Yep..not one thing wrong with them everyone loses a job due to these kinds of situations. ::)

So what was I supposed to do? Divorce him then? Well you lost your job . I want a divorce?

I did not openly blame him for losing his job.
I actually said that to him one night.

"I never blamed you for losing your job".

He somewhat whispered.."That's a really good thing".

I probably would have gotten physically abused if I did. I must have known that at some level to not say anything.

#128: November 17, 2018, 02:31:18 PM
Like you, Ive never been one to let anybody walk all over me, am a very down to earth,  understanding (think I was MUCH too understanding in regards to my MLCer)  but at the same time straightforward person and have always been more than capable of standing up for myself, which makes it even harder to explain why I put up with his emotional and the last year he was here, physical abuse and threats.

Boy if this isn't the truth I can relate to this Loyal. All I can say in my own defense is I thought I had to put up with all this crap to have my family back. I had waaay too much compassion and understanding. They do not understand that.

However that was not what I was dealing with. That wasn't the way they thought they thought it was perfectly ok to treat me like this.They didn't see anything wrong with it.
I was heartbroken and grieving and they are abusing me? Really?

And I still feel if the LBS does not lay down REALLY clear boundaries and enforce them as to what you will not tolerate?

They will run over you.

Every.

Single.

Time.

#129: November 17, 2018, 05:49:33 PM
Found online:

The Truth About Abusers, Abuse, and What to Do

How to spot an abusive partner before it's too late.

More than 3 million incidents of domestic violence are reported each year, including both men and women. Nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million people. One-third of women and one-fourth of men will have experienced some sort of interpersonal violence, and for one-fourth of women and one-seventh of men, it's severe. (For more, visit NCADV.org.)

What is less talked about, though serious, is emotional abuse that ranges from withholding to controlling, and includes manipulation and verbal abuse. The number of people affected is astronomical. Emotional abuse is insidious and slowly eats away at your confidence and self-esteem. The effects are long term, and can take even longer to recover from than blatant violence.

Facts About Abuse

Victims often minimize violence. This is their denial. Violence includes throwing or breaking things, slapping, shoving, hair-pulling, and forced sex. Here are some facts you should know:

Usually, abuse takes place behind closed doors.
Abusers deny their actions.
Abusers blame the victim.
Violence is preceded by verbal abuse.
Abuse damages your self-esteem.
The abuser needs to be right and in control.
The abuser is possessive and may try to isolate their partner from friends and family.
The abuser is hypersensitive and may react with rage.
A gun in the house increases the risk of homicide by 500 percent.
Two-thirds of domestic violence perpetrators have been drinking.
One-third of victims have been drinking or using drugs.

The Typical Abuser

You may not realize that abusers feel powerless. They don’t act insecure to cover up the truth. In fact, they’re often bullies. The one thing they all have in common is that their motive is to have power over their victim. This is because they don’t feel that they have personal power, regardless of worldly success. To them, communication is a win-lose game. They often have the following personality profile:

Insecure.
Needy with unrealistic expectations of a relationship.
Distrustful.
Often jealous.
Verbally abusive.
Needs to be right and in control.
Possessive; may try to isolate their partner from friends and family.
Hypersensitive and reacts aggressively.
Has a history of aggression.
Is cruel to animals or children.
Blames their behavior on others.
Suffers from untreated mental health problems including depression or suicidal behavior.

How to Respond

Most victims of abuse respond in a rational way: They explain themselves and believe that the abuser is interested in what they have to say. This lets abusers know that they’ve won and have control. Instead, one must design their own strategy and not react, thereby not rewarding the abusive behavior. You can do this by not engaging, or by responding in an unpredictable way, such as with humor, which throws an abuser off-guard. You can also ask for the behavior you want, set limits, and confront the abuse. Most victims do the opposite, and placate and appease an abuser to deescalate tension and the risk of harm. It rarely works, and abuse typically continues.

The Truth About Violence

If you’ve experienced violence—and that includes shoving, hair pulling, or destroying property—it’s essential to get support and learn how to set limits. Abusers deny or minimize the problem—as do victims—and may claim that they can’t control themselves. This is untrue. Notice that they aren’t abusive with their boss—because there would be consequences to that behavior. They also blame their actions on you, implying that you need to change. You’re never responsible for someone else’s behavior.

You may recognize the Cycle of Violence:

A build-up of tension.
The attack.
Remorse and apology.
A honeymoon period of loving gestures.

Sometimes, the threat of violence is all the abuser needs to control you, like a terrorist. The best time to abort violence is in the build-up stage. Some victims will even provoke an attack to get it over with, because their anxiety and fear is so great. After an attack, abusers say how sorry they are and promise never to repeat it, but without counseling to treat the underlying causes of the abuse repeat itself. Do not believe their promises.

Why Victims Stay

There are many reasons why victims stay in a relationship. Statistics show that victims of violence endure an average of up to seven attacks. The dominant reason is dependency: Control by the abuser, shame about the abuse, and the dysfunctional nature of the relationship lowers the victim's self-esteem and confidence and often causes the victim to withdraw from friends and family, creating even more fear and dependency on the abuser. The abuse itself is experienced as an emotional rejection with the threat of being abandoned. This triggers feelings of shame and fears of both more abuse and abandonment in the victim, which are then relieved during the honeymoon phase. Then victims hope the abuser will change. After all, there are good times between episodes of abuse. There are reasons why the person loves or once loved the abuser, and often children are involved.

Abusers can have a Jekyll-and-Hyde personality. Dr. Jekyll is often charming and romantic, perhaps successful, and makes pronouncements of love. You love Dr. Jekyll and make excuses for Mr. Hyde. You may not see that the whole person is the problem. If you’ve had a painful relationship with a parent growing up, you can confuse love and pain. Victims also stay for the following reasons:

Finances.
Nowhere else to live.
No outside emotional support.
Childcare concerns.
Taking the blame for the abuse.
Denying, minimizing, and rationalizing the abuse.
Low self-esteem and confidence.
They love the abuser.

If you’re a victim of abuse, you feel ashamed. You’ve been humiliated and your self-esteem and confidence have been undermined. You hide the abuse from people close to you, often to protect the reputation of the abuser and because of your own shame. An abuser uses tactics to isolate you from friends and loved ones by criticizing them and making remarks designed to force you take sides. You’re either for them or against them. If the abuser feels slighted, then you have to take his or her side, or you’re befriending the enemy. This is designed to increase control over you and your dependence upon him or her.

Steps You Can Take

It’s essential to build outside resources and talk about what’s going on in your relationship. A professional is the best person, because you can build your self-esteem and learn how to help yourself without feeling judged or rushed into taking action. If you can’t afford private individual therapy, find a low-fee clinical in your city, learn all you can from books and online resources, join online forums, and find a support group at a local battered women’s shelter. Do this even if it means keeping a secret. You’re entitled to your privacy.

To avoid getting involved with an abuser when you’re dating, beware of someone who:

Insists on having his or her way and won’t compromise.
Has outbursts of anger.
Is rude to others.
Criticizes you or your family.
Is jealous or possessive.
Is paranoid.
Threatens you.
Pay attention to these signs despite the fact that the person is pursuing you and expressing love and affection. An abuser won’t risk becoming abusive until he or she is confident that you won’t leave. First, he or she will try to win you over and isolate you from friends and family. See if he or she respects your boundaries. Often, violence doesn’t start until after marriage or the birth of a child, when you’re less likely to leave. But it also can escalates when you try to leave. This is why it's imperative to have a plan and support.

Don't wait for the next attack. If you’re threatened by abuse, call 1-800-799-SAFE. Some other steps you can take to prepare for an emergency are:

Open bank and credit cards in your own name.
Have a safe place to go at a friend or relative.
Have a bag packed at that place with necessary valuables and important legal papers, passport, bank information, credit cards, phone book, and money. Also pack clothes for your children and some toys.
Alert neighbors to call the police if they hear loud noises or suspect danger.
Make extra car and house keys. Hide a car key outside so you can get away.
If there is weapon in the home, remove it.

Remember, by not confronting abuse to avoid the risk of losing someone’s love, you risk losing your Self.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:03:27 PM by in it »

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.