Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Sometimes the finish line is just the start of somethin' new

M
At the end of last week I had a text from Xh. It was phrased in such a way that lead me to believe he wanted to tell me something about S. He asked me to call him. I did. Am I sorry I did? Hmmmm- that is where it gets murky and not for the reasons I might have anticipated.

I was mildly triggered initially - I admit, due to the nature of the call. It had to do with he had been contacted by someone claiming they were trying to reach me for an unpaid credit card debt of $5K. He then called S and S said he had a similar call. S didn't answer the call at all. Xh did and spoke to them long enough to get some info, but didn't give out any other information, fortunately.

I was sitting there listening to him ramble on about how he was going to call my parents, as he would have in the past - but said he has changed. I could feel my blood starting to boil and wanting to just go on a rant, but I bit my lip. For one, I was the responsible one in the relationship and he blamed me in MLC for the financial issues. Yup, I will admit, I was guilty of letting him just take over and run amok. That is my crime. And he used to tell anyone who would listen that I was the cause of the problems. My parents were often told stories - most which they knew were false, but it still was hard for them to not start to question things. I started to believe that narrative as well while the many months of gas-lighting went on.

After Xh left, yes, life has not been easy nor pretty at times. I had to deal with the fallout and I have endured those moments of just muddling through to get back on my feet. It has been humbling, but I have worked my freaking butt off to try and keep it all afloat. Keep the kids in the house and get them through college. That was my primary focus during that awful time. Now, I am just trying to iron out the remaining wrinkles.

I had to pay for things that Xh left for me to clean up. The unpaid house taxes, etc. I didn't bring any of that up in this call. I was not going to engage with him over this. I listened to him ramble on about how he felt he should talk to me and let me know because I have the house. That phrasing was a bit off-putting - I didn't somehow end up with everything and make out like a bandit.

This is not a rant about all the money he really should have been paying. I have moved on from that. Not worth the price of my sanity, but this call sort of ruffled my feathers.

His next comment was something to the effect of I had the kids. I didn't bite.

I simply replied that the call was probably someone phishing because I have worked my a$$ off getting out of debt and I was really quite upset by the possible perception that is out there about me. I also told him I appreciated him not calling my parents, as they have aged considerably in the years he has been out of our lives and they do not need to be worried by such things, true or not. It is not their issue to be concerned with. Xh said he was glad he didn't call and he really has changed. Then he said to me that he was so happy we could talk the way we did in that moment. And he thanked me again for sending the things of his with S. Like it was in the old days. I simply thanked him and we ended the conversation.

The next day it had snowed and I went out to clean off my car. I then proceeded to clean off D's car, which made me laugh because Xh in MLC land would be irate when I cleaned snow off of his car. How dare I? He then would accuse me of trying to manipulate him because I was being nice. LMAO - considering it was always something we did for one another when life was "normal". As the snow came tumbling down off the windshield, I laughed, thinking back to how much that upset me at the time, not really seeing the lunacy attached to that.

My initial trigger from the call didn't last. There was no anger at Xh, but I was still dealing with a misplaced feeling - one of guilt as if I had done something wrong. But, I had nothing to be ashamed of and it just was an old feeling of being accused of something I hadn't done.

I realized that while I don't want a relationship with Xh, nor do I want his input in personal matters, I don't want to be angry about MLC either. It happened. It is a horrible part of my history and I am glad I no longer feel the level of pain I once did. I will always be connected to Xh because of the kids - or at least as long as he has some contact with S. The situation with D is a whole other story and it is not getting better - that I have some anger over, but I cannot fix it. I will accept my moments of frustration are okay.

What all of this lead to was me embracing a real attack on things that I have avoided because of the pain associated with them. Stupid things like tax paperwork from the MLC period, etc. I went through the boxes that have been stowed away and shred years of paperwork. I came upon the divorce year and realized that at the end of this year, I will be able to get rid of those papers too, except for the necessary ones I should keep.

I then boxed up more of the things that belong to Xh or were really his. The kids can decide what they want out of the boxes, but the rest, I am sending Xh's way.

As I was going through the one box, there was a small book. I knew immediately what it was and because of Xh's rant about S's x-GF at the time and what went down, I realized it was a small book of photos S had rescued for her from the rubble of when her house burned down. I set the book aside and will scan the photos for x-gf, who D still talks to regularly, and make sure she has the photos. I shook my head and thought about that whole time period. MLC just blew up all of our lives and the man who behaved the way he did with S's then GF would have made pre MLC Xh bristle.

None of that matters now. Those photos back then were painful for that young woman, as they were all she had from her childhood photos. I set them aside and told D that I am going to scan the photos for the former GF and fix the damaged ones. I will give her the original damaged ones but she should have the "healed" versions of that time of her life.

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
I'm sorry you had to have a convo of that nature with xH.  Ugh. 

That is very sweet of you to fix the photos for her.  I love it!
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

R
MD, yes a phishing and very irritating that they reached out to him. Sorry that happened.

Only LBS would chuckle at this lunacy and understand how this type of thing really happened leading up to BD.

I then proceeded to clean off D's car, which made me laugh because Xh in MLC land would be irate when I cleaned snow off of his car. How dare I? He then would accuse me of trying to manipulate him because I was being nice.

In addition to chuckling, I also feel empathy for the LBS while remembering how manipulative and crazy that time was when we didn't know what was going on.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 11:49:10 PM by Reinventing »

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
If I wasn't on the wrong continent, I'd drive to xH's family and give them a right royal dressing down...

Regarding the phishing, S should keep an eye on his card just in case xH blathered on a bit more than he should have.....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
Wow, I’m still on he almost called your parents. That is crazy talking there. So, glad he didn’t. The cleaning the snow off and him being irritated. I can look back and remember many of those now and being so confused, but understanding now that if I was being nice than that was not fitting the vision of me he needed to justify his actions . I think it’s sooooo healthy to get to the place when you don’t want to be angry. There is a time and place you need that anger and it serves you and a time and a place where it no longer serves you.  Once you get there you know you are getting yourself back. 
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

M
Reinventing, UrsaMajor, & MadLuv -

Looking back now, I see that there was no winning with whether or not I cleaned off the MLCer's car of snow or not. Like so many of the moments in that time period, it was going to result in "damned if I do, damned if I don't". Had I not cleared the snow off of his car while I was out there, I would have fallen into his narrative of being a thoughtless, and selfish person. Then when I did clean it off, I was manipulative. None of those words would have come into play prior to this whole madness as it had always been something we did for one another for years. It is why the gaslighting and changes in behavior really shake most of us to the core, IMO.

And there have been plenty of those moments over the past few years. The only change I can vouch for is the changes in myself and my reactions. IDK where Xh is in this journey. I have my suspicions and some blips of information that come in from time to time.

For instance, this year S is watching former SIL's house again while she travels. So, I see S very little and as it is he is staying near Xh, when I do see S, he will sometimes confide in me. I don't ask because it is not my business any longer, especially since the kids are adults.

A couple of weeks back, S called me and said he couldn't come for dinner midweek, as he had been doing since Xh had taken a job and someone needed to go feed Xh's dog. I paused a bit and S told me that Xh is struggling financially and was offered a job in addition to his one client, but it was a long commute. When he told me where the job was, I knew OW was probably involved, as it is in her town. It is a good thing it was a phone call because I know I rolled my eyes and sarcastically "oh this will end well"  ::).  Xh lasted a two weeks. It wasn't for him - working for someone else. Hmmmm. You don't say.  ::)

That is my LBS response to the scenario. The truth is, it is sad. I don't feel bad for Xh, but it is sad to see such destruction, when I know what he is capable of and what he had prior to blowing up his life. This is what he wanted though it would seem. He had worked to build a highly successful business from the ground up. Had a second one launched that he could have sold, but chose not to. His MLC had kicked in by then and his partner in the business suggested they sell it, but MLCer's ego wouldn't let go of it, so instead, he just quit doing anything with it and it died a slow death. Then came the out of no where decision to fire all but one of his clients because he wanted to travel and then it was build homes for people in third world countries, followed by other ideas.

The thing was, I was always telling him to ease up and we could live a simpler life. I saw how he was pushing himself to burnout level leading up to the first BD. We both had always been workaholics prior to having kids, but somewhere, I learned to adjust. I think it was really when the kids were born and I knew I couldn't have it all. Xh and I decided at the time I was the one who could walk away from my full time work status and spend more time at home. I never gave up my own things, but I adjusted. Xh was good about balancing his work and home life right up until MLC, but he sometimes needed reminders.

What struck me was S telling me the other night that Xh quit working on another idea he had and it was gaining traction. I remembered, as I had joked about changing the QR code he had on his vehicle, with a sharpie marker. He had that project ready to launch and go full tilt. And, I have to admit, it was a brilliant idea at the time. S told me that Xh just suddenly lost interest in it. Again, he could have sold the business and had offers. He didn't protect it and now someone else is running with it.

It doesn't bring me some sense of joy or vindication knowing any of this. It could be Xh is very content in his life as it stands now. For me the conversation with S didn't bring me anything new to the table. It has become somewhat odd to realize that back when the whole cleaning off snow from Xh's car time period, I would have held on to every word and dissected it, hoping I could somehow figure out some way to help Xh and put things back together. I so desperately wanted things to go back to "normal".

I had to put a pause on my quest to clean out paperwork, etc, as school started back up. It has been a very hectic start to the semester. It will level out, so I am not concerned.

This morning, while waiting for a meeting online, I pulled out some papers to go through and in the mix was a small slip of paper with what was something I had written out. I know when I wrote it and it was in the middle of my work day and I was in my office at the time. I needed to clear what was going on in my head so that I could return to class. I had a meeting with the attorney the next day, regarding the divorce I certainly didn't want at the time. On that slip of paper I described how I felt like life was so completely out of control. I likened the feeling like being pushed from an airplane and realizing the main parachute malfunctioned. The feeling of free falling and trying to get the reserve chute to deploy. Once that deployed, then having a bit of a feeling of relief only for a few seconds before finding myself entangled in a row of trees just dangling above the ground.

The feeling at the time was such complete unease. Dizzying at times. Thinking I was never going to feel like myself and I would just spend life twisting in the wind.

Yet, somehow with a lot of mirror work, time, patience and a whole lot of other ingredients I found myself in a whole other place.

I certainly could make some comment about how if only Xh had done the work, or had hung in there, we could have worked through it. The thing is, I am not sure I believe that now. That is, I am really beginning to believe that the universe or God had other plans. Xh's freewill changed the trajectory. I had a choice to make. Stay the course or change. I opted for the second - kicking and screaming at times. For me, it was the right decision to make.

• Mentor
Quote from: MourningDove
When he told me where the job was, I knew OW was probably involved, as it is in her town. It is a good thing it was a phone call because I know I rolled my eyes and sarcastically "oh this will end well"  ::).  Xh lasted a two weeks. It wasn't for him - working for someone else. Hmmmm. You don't say.  ::)

;D ;D ;D

I certainly could make some comment about how if only Xh had done the work, or had hung in there,
Ah yes.... If only..... If only I had a million dollars... If only cows could fly.... if only.....

If the Mid-Lifer would have only done the work they needed to do in the first place, this would be a VERY quiet web site/forum but.... That is not the way they roll.....

Yet, somehow with a lot of mirror work, time, patience and a whole lot of other ingredients I found myself in a whole other place.
<...snip...> I had a choice to make. Stay the course or change. I opted for the second - kicking and screaming at times. For me, it was the right decision to make.

That choice - ripping off the band-aid and applying iodine to the wound - is what the LBS has to do at some point or another anyway in order to grow forward in their own lives. For some that takes longer than for others. It IS hard work and a hard road to travel but, int he end, it brings the LBS to a better place, regardless if it is reconnection, or going off on our own paths......
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
You know I find with MLCers they just get bored easily.  They want the success but they also no longer have that drive that they originally did. It is hard to watch, however my XH is rising from the ashes. Getting some success back and higher paid position again. I think that is where his focus is. You xh seems more  scattered with not a clear focus. No matter what they do they dont balance life at all!!

I also am more towards leaning that maybe the universe just knew to het me put of that situation. I have always hated the quote “Everything happens for a reason” ( as losing. A child its a hard one to agree with, but I will say that I do feel our lives are already mapped out and maybe we dont control as much as we think we do and for that reason maybe the saying is  true. I also agree that 3 years in from BD2 and I feel pretty darn good. I wish my D33 was not distancing form us all, but I have also just learned to appreciate those that do show up in my life and just continue to be the best person I can and make the changes that I feel that I need to make.

We really do become better human beings for having gone through this all
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:05:00 PM by MadLuv »
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

M
Thank you UrsaMajor & MadLuv.

I am trying to think of what word to use to describe my current state of mind. Furious? Seething? Frustrated? IDK

Part of me is annoyed because this goes back to a mandated part of my divorce and knowing Xh didn't comply. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not upset by having to carry life insurance on myself for the kids' sake, but there has always been this pebble in my shoe over the fact that I have followed every "rule" and the like and now because of that particular policy, I am having nothing but aggravation.

Okay, so in reality - that is to say, I know that the current situation has nothing to really do with the MLCer by now, but it is just one of those things that was still attached so to speak. I had recently updated the policy and changed companies and I am having nothing but difficulty with that original company now. When I originally filed the paperwork to cancel the policies, they charged my account then went on to claim I let the policy lapse. Hmmm. Nope. They had paperwork I filed asking to cancel the policy and said they never received the request for the other policy. Funny, that paperwork was sent to me all as one packet and went back as one packet. They have "lost" paperwork? Seriously? They have charged my account again, but for only one of the policies, when they shouldn't have. I refiled paperwork last week and sent it overnight with a required signature and now I got a letter telling me that I owe a premium and if I don't pay it, I risk basically any payout of the cash surrender if I don't pay it. I am pissed, because I would be getting money back. This has been going on since the end of November in one form or another.

Again, I know it is not Xh's fault. It just brought me back to a feeling of knowing how this whole thing started in the first place. I felt like I was forced to do this at the time and I had little say. So, I know my anger right now is rooted in a bit of a trigger and not really in any type of rational reality. And, I am not going to rip the customer service rep's head off. That is not how I roll. But, I am feeling a bit rattled at the moment.

It comes during a time when I have honestly for the first time in a very long time really felt like things related to any MLC past were behind me. When D's support ended I had cut the ties to those things that no longer were "required" and while I still have a will and insurances in place to protect the kids, they are decisions I made without some court mandated aspect.

It is not about not wanting to somehow never have any input from anyone else.

I think part of me is just super sensitive this week after having really faced so much of the painful paperwork that I had to hang on to up until now. Seeing it all again and shredding it has been cathartic, but this is really getting under my skin.

I left a message for my insurance rep, who called me back immediately. He is not affiliated with this company but carries the bulk of my other policies, including the new policies I updated. He is sending out the "troops" so to speak. This is not the first person he said who has had trouble with this company.

I am tired of the MLC past biting me in the butt. Truly. I am just going to have a really good cry by the end of today at this rate.

• Mentor
Insurance companies are the absolute worst...... They try anything that they can in order to scam their clients out of money. I can fully understand your anger at them. I hope that you can show that they are wrong and that you get your payout!
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.