Skip to main content

Author Topic: Mirror-Work Domestic Violence is a deal breaker PERIOD

Mirror-Work Re: Domestic Violence is a deal breaker PERIOD
#50: January 05, 2018, 12:13:46 PM
You are welcome bvFTD

IMHO I could care less if they were violent before in the relationship or "changed" during MLC into violent abusive people. MLC is NOT an excuse to treat other people badly.

Abuse is abuse plain and simple. They should  NOT get a pass because "Oh poooooor him he was having an MLC." Boo effing Who.

It should NOT be dismissed or downplayed due to an MLC.

Drunk, sober, whatever..not one damn excuse good enough for it in my book.
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

P
Re: Domestic Violence is a deal breaker PERIOD
#51: January 05, 2018, 12:45:59 PM
Hear Hear, Init!

Hugs

i
#52: January 05, 2018, 12:56:12 PM
I think Passiflora makes a really good point about the shame a victim can experience in the wake of a trauma, and how this can make recovery more complex.

Like Passiflora, I completely froze. I couldn’t see that I was being emotionally abused because I was shocked into a very susceptible state where I could not reconcile my FH behavior with what I had believed to be true about who he was. On some level I also saw he wasn’t well and was there left with the complex task of trying to understand and help a person who wanted to hurt me, along with another abusive person, the OW, who I believe also contributed to the emotional abuse, all while still believing I was in part responsible for his behavior. (Something I can see is ridiculous now and also something I think HS should not imply or encourage. Traumatized  victim should not be encouraged to focus on self improvement or validate abuse, even if our spouses are unwell. Focus should be on total safety of the LBS.)

I have to credit Passiflora who was a person who wrote directly, “You are being abused.” I could not even see this clearly because I was still beleiving my FH accusations to me. I truly believed he was reacting to my own failings, that is how overwhelmed and confused I was.

I agree many LBS have been gaslit for some time. However I also think that there is some type of tipping point for some that turns whatever this is into an acute condition.

Passiflora- I think H has been gaslighting me. And I have believed exactly what you said that he was reaching to my own failings. Every time.he blamed me I would.believe it then someone in my support system would have to bring me back to reality. I *think* this is MLC with a very high shame level  esp fear of others knowing what he has done. It just compounds and spirals down.

P
#53: January 05, 2018, 01:26:53 PM
Oh I'm so sorry, Iwant, that you was/is on the receiving end for gas lighting. This erode your sanity and "makes you" crazy even if you are not crazy. Don't laugh but I was convinced at the time when I kicked out my xh that I was the crazy one. When I got back to work my boss sent me to a psychiatrist who explained to me that I was sane. I was having a normal respond to an abnormal situation. The first thing I did after that first meeting was to call my oldest son. His response; But Mum did you really think you are the crazy one! I can laugh about it now, 3,5 years after but in that moment I wanted that psychiatrist to put it on paper so that I could put it on my fridge to look at. I'm not crazy I'm not crazy!  ;D

The gas lighting is severe since the victim is often isolated from outside input (aka reality or normal) so the victim is starting to believe the abusers reality, or the abuser wants the victim to only have the abusers reality. It is crucial to not isolate yourself, have someone who can be your "normal or reality". Heck I didn't know if up was down or the shy was pink but even if I was made totally crazy there was some grain of sanity in my head. Things he said didn't happen (that I know happened). I went to the place in our house where it did happen and I could feel it happened I know it happened right there. (like you do when you forgot what you was suppose to get or do but forgot what it was, you go back to where you thought about it in the first place  :)

Without knowing it then, but I know now, in hindsight, I did "use" a lot of people in the beginning to kind of validate what is normal and what is not normal behavior. Best thing for me and my recovery. I think for me it's very important for you to look inside yourself, what are your core values, morals, ethics etc. the faster you can ground yourself the better. I hope you understand what I mean.  :)

Hugs

#54: January 05, 2018, 02:02:22 PM
I'll tell you what the woman at the Domestic Violence office said to me when I documented the incident with her.

When I was done I told her "He said I was crazy".
With a wave of her hand she said "They ALL say that"

Nothing crazy about us we were being ABUSED there is a difference..We may appear crazy but it is normal when and after being abused to feel all kinds of things. Act in ways that would be out of character.

Yes they believe their own lies, all they do is lie. And YES it's ALL control whether based in fear or manipulation.

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.

b
#55: January 06, 2018, 04:33:49 PM
I understand, In It, but sudden violence in midlife is actually a symptom of a terminal brain disease called FTD which my husband has. A neurologist will rule out tumor and small strokes which can also cause behavioral change. My husband's neurologist knew right away what my husband had but performed all the tests. He was so compassionate and gentle when he told us there was no cure. My husband did not get it at all.

If he forgot how to find his way home or didn't remember our children's names, everyone would quickly deduce that he has young-onset Alzheimers, but because my soulmate, best friend and husband exhibited a distressing and shocking personality change, he is just an @$$hole or has always been like this, but in 30 years I was too dense to know?

What I want to convey to you is to step back. Stop mulling over your relationship and get him to a doctor. Your reports of his new and upsetting behaviors will greatly help. Do not take what he has done personally. If he had a heart attack would we hesitate to seek help?

If he is not terminally ill then he may have a psychiatric disorder and he unraveled in midlife, or he or she were never nice people to begin with. Don't you want to know?

#56: January 06, 2018, 04:55:22 PM
Are you asking if if I want to know?
In a few words hell no!
He and I are divorced.
Hes not my problem anymore.. my compassion ran out.

b
#57: January 06, 2018, 05:29:51 PM
We must protect ourselves. Love and Strength to all of us.

b
#58: January 06, 2018, 06:36:04 PM
Dear I Want Off:

I am so very deeply sorry and sickened to hear what you endured, but it is so very fortunate, as you said, your assault was witnessed. Yes, you may be called on to testify, which will undoubtedly be extremely difficult, but then you will finally get your husband the help he needs.

P
#59: January 07, 2018, 08:54:14 AM
Hi all,
It would be informative, I think, if some who have reconnect with their MLC spouse, if they have brought up this topic. Are they capable to take responsible for their abusive behavior (monster, lying, deceit, the trauma their behavior created). Has anyone been 100% remorseful about this?

Hugs

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.