Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!

S
My Story Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#110: July 13, 2023, 08:54:11 AM
Hi SAM,

just checking in on you. Hope you are enjoying the summer with your kids and grandkids.
Me 53
H 51
AD 22 from previous R
Known H since 1993
Together since 2000
BD 06/21/2017
OW High School Sweetheart lives 4 hrs away

Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#111: August 04, 2023, 04:47:40 PM
Hey Sam

Just caught up. I understand what you say about it being less stressful when you don’t see them.

It’s so nice isnt it. Glad you feel like that.

You sound good, girl.
Rose 🌹
Married 15+ years with 2 children
BD1 - 2016
BD2 - 2017
BD3 - Sept 2019
MOW Mar 2016-Jan 2018
OW2 - Feb 2019, age 30
H left home Oct 2017 to stay with his parents
Bought a family Puppy mid 2018 - referred to as ‘P’

Link to advice by my mentor, Phoenix, on what to tell the children about H leaving - reply #33 (it had a glitch)
https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9313.30

• https://affaircare.com/the-180
Re: Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#112: August 25, 2023, 07:40:04 AM
Dear 66, Faith, Rose and Mad....thanks for checking in and for your thoughts!  I often think of checking in more regularly....then life happens!

UM:  love the spinning ape.  Too funny!
10.29.17 BD-Moved out to OW/A began in  6.17
3.5.18 OW moved away/H moved in with F
3.19.18  H moved home
7.14.18  Moved to be with OW
9.4.18  Moved back-At Parents 
11.1.18  OW back.  H living w/her in D's basement 
11.18 - H started visiting on holidays
11.26.18 Call from H.  BIL died suddenly.
1.19 - H announced  that he moved to sisters
2.19  H volunteers to house and dog sit whenever.
Spring 19  H visiting house and doing chores on a regular basis
7.20 OW2 Confirmed  5 hrs away 
Summer of 2020 Less help with chores
Early Spring 2021 - helping with chores again then stopped and is getting more distant gradually
9/21 distancing growing worse...hardly see or hear from H
4/22 getting in touch more but sporadically

#113: August 25, 2023, 08:26:46 AM
I have not realized how much time has gone by!  I keep saying to myself to get in an update and to see how everyone else is doing!   Then I don't get it done!

So now.....nearly 6 mos later....here is an update on how things have progressed in MLC land for H.   He is still there!  Things seem oddly worse too!

So, after the holidays (TG, Christmas and NYs), H started to become more distant.  Less visits.  Less phone calls.  It was nothing to go weeks and weeks on end without hearing or seeing him.  On one occasion he showed up for PB at the same location as me.  He stayed 2 hours and didn't once communicate.  Not a hi or anything.  I saw him choose courts far from me.  I followed his suit and didn't attempt to get near him or communicate with him either.  Later I realized that this was a period of drought.  He actually went over a month with no communication and the only time we saw each other was that one time at PB.

Oddly....I wasn't hurt by it.  I was playing PB and that makes me happy.  He could do nothing to spoil my night!

He has not been around for Easter, Memorial Day or July 4th.  Just gone.  No attempts to want to be with family at all on those days.

Sometime in mid to late May, he suddenly showed up at the house unannounced.  Since they, he is back to popping in for a day or two for either a visit or a call and then disappearing for a few days to a few weeks.  I did notice some changes in him since he started popping back in.

1.  He is starting accept responsibility for things.  If he plays bad, he says he played bad.  Before he would blame it on others.
2.  He has occasionally asked me to do things.  Such as go to another town to play PB or ride along to daughters house so we only have to take one car.  Just little things like that. 
3.  He used to say he wouldn't play in tournaments because it didn't fit his work schedule.  Now he says he won't play because he lets his nerves get to him and he doesn't want to let his partner down.
4.  He will occasionally, call or text and tell me where the better players are playing so that I can show up and play.  They are a little secretive because they want their play time to stay competitive.  I am not in the group because I can not play regularly with them since I work. 
5.  His mower broke down and he asked to use mine.  I allowed it.  In return, he would do my weed whipping and fill my gas tanks and when time allowed, he mowed my grass.
6.  He notices things around the house and points them out.  Instead of being critical that some things are not done or telling me how he would do things, he says things like  "I can't believe it needs week whipped again already" or "I'll take care of that the next time I am in the area and have my tools with me"
7.  He talks about needing a pb practice partner and says he asks people but they have different schedules...then says we might have to rely on each other to practice drills.

That is a sampling of things.  They are very small and few and far between.

Other big developments:

Son and DIL are having some growing pains in their relationship.  They are working through it but DIL tends to use H as a place to vent.  H just recently told her that she is the source of all of son's unhappiness (not true, she is a contributor but he is also not happy about things other than her).  Told her to just get a Divorce now because they will never be happy or have a healthy relationship.  Per DIL, he went on for about 45 mins about how terrible a person she is.  DIL told son when son confronted her and said I know something is bothering you....time to share and not keep it bottled up.  So she did share some of it.   Son has not talked to H since then.  H keeps trying to reach out and son is avoiding him for now.  Son wants to confront him about it but wants to man up and do it face to face.  He wants to get some time and space between them for now so he doesn't act out emotionally with anger.  H doesn't understand why son is avoiding him.  He gets angry that son won't take the time to talk to him.   Son keeps saying that H has no right to say that and no matter what he feels, he should support them and if he can't then there is no place in their life for them.  He wants to tell him that H is not a role model and in fact, son wants to be just the opposite of H.  He wants to work on and fight for his marriage but run off with floosies that come along.  this is what he says he wants to talk face to face with H about. 

DIL tried to call him out on projecting but it didn't phase H.  He said he feels bad that he left me after all those years we were together.  Yet he is still with ow1 and ow2 per DIL.  He is cheating on each of them with the other and he has no intention of committing to either one. 

I asked H to dog sit for me when I went on a family vacation.  I had someone else lined up and 5 days before vacation they bailed.  I tried other options and H was the only one available.  During that week he stayed at the house and did a lot of work on the outside.  He was so proud of himself.  Said he has been wanting to do some of this stuff for years.

A few weeks ago I got a bad bacterial infection that was on the verge of sepsis.  There was talk of me needing to be admitted to the hospital for some treatment for a day or 2.  My daughter called H to TELL him that if I ended up in the hospital that he was going to have to take care of the dogs for me.  She said she told him it was time for him to step up and help out that I couldn't take care of the house and dogs while I was sick and possibly in the hospital.

He responded and said he would help.  He told her that he loved me.  He doesn't want to hurt me.  If he wanted to hurt me, he would have divorced me years ago.  Said he will always love me but that he can't live with me.  Then told daughter to let him know what I need and he terminated the call.  She was flabbergasted because he has not used the word love at all since before bd.  Doesn't even tell the grand kids that he loves them let alone daughter.  She recalled how he used to tell her all my faults...even some that I didn't have and now she can't believe that he said what he said.  She was afraid to tell me for fear I would read into it.   I didn't.  It is just the Mad Man of MLC talking.  Today it is love....tomorrow it is not. 

During a recent ride together, I said something to H about doing what is best for him and he responded...I keep thinking about what is best for me and I can't figure it out.
 m y brain is messed up.  I said what do you mean....he said his thoughts are foggy.  He can't keep his thoughts straight.

The few times I do see H, he is either looking good and appears happy or he looks like crap.  There seems like there is no in between.   

Long story short.....H might be making some progress.  He might not.  Only time will tell!  I still hope he heals. 

3.19.18  H moved home
Early Spring 2021 - helping with chores again then stopped and is getting more distant gradually

• Mentor
#114: August 25, 2023, 02:46:08 PM
It's so very strange. The slight movement, perhaps a normal conversation or time spent that was pleasant, followed by distance and silence. And then it repeats itself.

Some perhaps can get further, some can express their own "confusion" others (like my husband) never say a word. It is as though there is no past, no hurt...yet their "desire" to have some contact at times ........they have not totally forgotten us.

I am happy that you have found many things that bring you happiness. That you don't "need" him in order to have a very good life.

I am sorry that you were ill and hope that you are completely healed.

H might be making some progress.  He might not.  Only time will tell!  I still hope he heals.

Yes. I hope they all heal and find whatever it is they need to become whole again.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:47:09 PM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

I
#115: August 25, 2023, 05:44:44 PM
As I read your update, what sticks out to me is your H’s perception that he hasn’t hurt you because he hasn’t divorced you. That is some messed up thinking. But then again, that’s an mlcer for you. Wishing you all the best Sam!

Z
#116: August 25, 2023, 05:55:47 PM
As I read your update, what sticks out to me is your H’s perception that he hasn’t hurt you because he hasn’t divorced you. That is some messed up thinking. But then again, that’s an mlcer for you. Wishing you all the best Sam!

What I was thinking! Does he think he is Gods gift to you…The Ego!

That he is cheating on 3 women right now….yikes! At least me is now admitting to what his relationship is with OW1 and OW2

S
#117: August 28, 2023, 07:10:57 AM
So good to hear from you Sam and even better that you seem truly to be happy and that you do not let his bobble headed behaviour get to you.
That is so awesome.......if he wanted to hurt you he'd have divorced you long time ago.....just WOW...they truly have no clue and I do not believe it for a minute. If he was sure at all about never coming home he'd have divorced you long time ago .....they truly are teenage boys in their thinking but you take it all in stride and with such grace. Keep on going on and you have been !!!
Me 53
H 51
AD 22 from previous R
Known H since 1993
Together since 2000
BD 06/21/2017
OW High School Sweetheart lives 4 hrs away

M
#118: August 28, 2023, 09:26:53 AM
Oh the mind of the MLCer. When I asked my XH why he had to disrespect me, he said. i think I was disrespecting myself. Well, yes that’s a given, but…….

It is all about them and how ever they can justify it in their own minds. They can not deal with our pain and they normally don’t divorce as they don’t have the energy mentally to do that. If I hadn’t done it to protect myself financially I believe I would still be married today.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

#119: March 08, 2024, 01:05:06 PM
Once again....TIME got away from me.  I remember at the beginning where I had to count time in seconds or minutes and it felt like another day was never gonna come to an end.

Here we are almost 6.5 years later and now time is just flying by.  TIME is no longer the cuss word it used to be.  Now TIME is just blowing by and I don't realize it has gone. Over 6 mos since my last update and really I don't have a lot to say.

Where am I?   I am still doing me.  More pickleball.  Getting better and more competitive.  Doing some tournaments.  3 grandkids that I adore.  The loss of a dog and the new adventures with a new one.  Life just keeps cranking on and it is my intent to savor every possible minute I can!  I want to live life to the fullest and just continue to be happy!  Very simple....just enjoy life!

My life is full.  I have a new normal that does not involve H and that is fine.  I have tons of friends and several very close ones that I trust with all...especially the MLC crap.  They are the ones that get it.  I occasionally wonder about how life would be if H were to ever want to come back.  I just can't envision it.  I used to dream of it.  Now I just don't see it.  I don't see anyone else in my future at this time either.  I really am very happy with doing me.  No one to cook for.  No worries that I can't make salmon tonight because someone else doesn't like it.   No one to wait up for.  No one to check in with.  My only concern is making sure my dogs are taken care of it I go away.  There are people you help me with that!  I really do enjoy the freedom of living!  Just living and doing and being!

H:  Well he is all over the place.  For the last few months, he has been in contact more.  I have seen him more because of pickleball.  He calls but only to talk about pickleball or the grandkids.  He stopped by this winter to clean places in the yard so the dogs could go out after snow storms.  He has been going once a week to breakfast with the grandkids.  He guys one week, I buy the next.  Occasionally, there is a little humor.  There are still a lot of times when he is just silent.  Not a peep out of him and I let him to it.  He is in a funk where he doesn't like to come to the house....especially come inside.  His mail goes months without being touched.  I no longer worry that I need to get important stuff to him.  That is all on him.  He got sent to collections because he ignored stuff.   Not my problem.  He knows where the mailbox is.   

We are friendly and cordial at pickleball.  Far cry from the time he played as if I was not even there. 

H and my son have not been talking for several months now.  My daughter in law was venting one day and H told her that she was the fault of the problems my son was having.  She didn't clean enough.  She didn't walk the dogs enough.  She didn't work enough.  She is not happy enough. Told her to divorce him before he finishes his residency because all she wants is to be a trophy wife and she is not entitled to that.   Does it all sound familiar?  Sounds like the exit speech H gave to me at bomb drop. 

There was a lot more to the convo and I ask DIL to not share it.   That is between them.   My son basically wrote H off.  Said if he doesn't support them.....then son has no time for him.   OUCH.  I remember a time when DIL could really do no wrong.  Now she can do no right and H couldn't keep it to himself.  Oh well....that is his pot to piss in.

Not much else to say.  Thanks to those who take the time to stop by and read my updates.  I think of many of you....I just never take the time to get on this site and get updated!  Hope you are all doing well and are finding ways to be healthy and happy too!  ~Sam

3.19.18  H moved home

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.