Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Your greatest benefit/accomplishment in being a LBS

Discussion Your greatest benefit/accomplishment in being a LBS
OP: November 20, 2019, 09:30:10 PM
I think it's so easy to not think about what we have gained and instead focus on what we are lacking (I'm guilty of this sometimes).
But at the same time, I'm very thankful for MLC (no I'm not crazy), so much gained, so much growth, and so much more to learn.
I realize that I wouldn't have grown as a person or valued many things which were important but I was too busy to be bothered. No more.

What has been your greatest accomplishment, area of growth, or lesson that has affected your life forever?

Let's make it really interesting and eliminate the "easy" responses:
"I've learned to not rely on anyone for my happiness"
"I found myself"
"I've learned to not put up with this crap" (LOL!!!!)
All LBS's learn and accomplish these things during the process.

For me the greatest benefit and accomplishment has been to get up off my azz, and get to work. So much put off, so many dreams put on the shelf.... waiting....waiting.... waiting for what??? I don't know, but I know now that I'm in a race against myself. I had felt like this in the past but somehow had lost it. It's back, and I'm thrilled..... I'm ALIVE. From this, life is worth living, is exciting, and I've learned that I have all the time in the world. Not because I'm going to live forever, but because I have all the time that I have. So much can be done with one day, and I have lots of days still to come. When all this started, my thoughts were "OMG, I'm 42 and W is going to be in this for 2, 3, 5, 7 years.... and maybe I'm going to lose her altogether...... what a waste of time!!!! I've thrown away my 20's my 30's and I'll be at least halfway thru my 40's before anything ever STARTS to improve. Did I choose badly?????
The answer (and this is the real miracle to me) is that NO..... it wasn't a waste...... today is not a waste unless you make it one. All the previous days brought you to today: Are you a good person?
No matter what someone else is doing, they haven't driven you into the ditch, they are the ones in it..... you just keep looking because they're laying on the horn. We all have our ditches, and we have to pull ourselves out of it, there's no Triple A for life. If we have to pull ourselves out of the ditch, so do they. That's life. We learn, we grow, or we don't. That's on each of us.
It's ok to love them, it's ok to be concerned for them, it's ok to hope they will get out of the cab and crawl out of that ditch, it's even ok to yell encouragement at them.... but while they're there life goes on.... so make it a good one. There is no guilt, no shame, no embarrassment for standing, for loving, for hoping..... but there is no excuse for stagnation. 

That's my light-bulb over the head accomplishment during LBS/MLC, and it's something I HAD to learn. Maturity. I had to know that the race is on.... that there's things to be done, and no one will do it except me. There's no moping about..... no pining for lost years.... I spent the years that I spent, and I love W. If I knew then what I know now, I'd do it all over again. No regrets. Without adversity, challenge and pain there would be no growth. I'll take my pain, take those lashes, take those chains: and then I'll grit my teeth, break those chains, grab that whip and show life who's boss. Come here life... I've got something for you......

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

Re: Your greatest benefit/accomplishment in being a LBS
#1: November 20, 2019, 10:07:24 PM
Great topic, Standing.

Living, right now, right here, in present moment, being grateful of it. That's the goal :)

Re my greatest accomplishment so far...  Improving relationship with kids... no doubt about it.... If I loved them all before, this experience has made it 'over the top'.  I have learned to become grateful even for the shortest periods of times  spend together. 

Alvin
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

#2: November 21, 2019, 08:29:44 AM
This is s genuinely difficult question for me, Standing.
To the point when I found myself muttering darkly well, try it at 56 or if you never see your w again, Mister....which is unlike me so obviously something about the question hit a chord so it is probably a good one.

All the normal survival LBS blah, sure.
But do I see any of that as a real benefit or accomplishment in my life bc I was an LBS?
Did I need those things in my normal life? Are they worth what happened? Are there things I didn't have at all before or things I had to fire up that already existed in me? Or are they are kind of making the best of a bad job? I am honestly not sure.
And even was what I had in my life and relationship worth what I survived? Not entirely sure of that now either, although I would have said yes probably until the last year or so bc I valued it.

The best I can come up with that is substantially different and that feels like a genuine benefit to me is the deepening of my personal faith. Is that enough to be worth the last few years? Maybe. Not even sure of that tbh. But the price I paid for it was huge. Jmo.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

N
  • MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
#3: November 21, 2019, 10:13:11 AM
To the point when I found myself muttering darkly well, try it at 56 or if you never see your w again, Mister....which is unlike me so obviously something about the question hit a chord so it is probably a good one.

Or if as one of my other LBS friends put it, whose spouse never fully left, every single day in the past 7 years was worse than any previous bad day they ever had in their life.

Seeing a benefit or accomplishment in your spouse's MLC is like dancing on a grave, even if you feel there are benefits or accomplishments.

M
#4: November 21, 2019, 11:21:59 AM
Darn! I can never find an emoji that depicts dancing on a grave when I want one. ;)

Try it at 60, muttering darkly. :D

Actually SS, I think your post was great and your topic is a great one.

My greatest accomplishment has been creating a deep and personal connection with my daughters and grandchildren. Before BD I was connected to them through my wife. Now our connection is deeper and direct.

I also learned that I am capable of feeling much more compassion for another person than I ever would have imagined, I've learned a great deal about who I am and how I became this person, and I overcame my lifelong fear of death.

F
#5: November 21, 2019, 12:46:59 PM
I have learned my value and my worth.  Also, I have learned to live in the day and let go.

I would not chose my husband again if I knew he would abandon his family.  Not in a million.  My kids are hurting and our family is shattered.  I do However stand by my vows and chose love and forgiveness.  I do trust God, even if I do not trust my h.

I do not in any way believe that this situation will bring more good than harm.  The harm is extensive, but there has been good.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:49:41 PM by Finding Joy »
Married 23 years
Husband is 46
Me-42
4 kids 9-18 years old
BD-October 2018-ILYBNIL, wants a divorce, 2 OW at different times.
April 2019 He got an apartment and moved out.
Oct 2019-Apologized for a years worth of monster behavior.  Still wants to start divorce this Spring, is distant, but friendly.  Tries more with kids, but superficial.
2020-He has continued to help out when asked and be polite.  I do think he questions his choices at times.  I do not believe he has OW.
Oct 2020-He wants to get back together.  I am unsure. 
August 2021-.  He has shown very gradual, but consistent progress.  He moved back home.
December 2022-He has been home for 1 1/2 years reconnecting, in the room with me for several months. I now consider us reconciled.
October 2023-After two years home and being the man he should be, I finally fully let him back into my heart.

#6: November 21, 2019, 01:08:32 PM
Like many others I have yet to experience the “better” side of MLC. I was a strong, competent woman. Outgoing, awesome family and friendships, loved life. I had an executive level job, but my favorite “job” was wife and mother and everyone knew it. I had/have a lovely home and we were able to provide our children with lots of benefits that truly blessed our lives, blessings I know many families are unable to provide. But none of the “things” we could provide financially held a candle to the love we had as a family unit. H and I often talked about how lucky we were and how family was everything.

So personally, I am still mired in grief. Sorrow. I believe sometimes we are asked, spiritually called really, to give up what is most important to “stand in the gap” for another. I am often angry that this MLC and the loss of my marriage, H and family unit is my “cross to bear.”, but if I can support even one family by demonstrating resilience and love, despite the circumstances, that makes them pause from making serious mistakes in their own lives, then I will consider my standing in the gap to be successful.

I have yet to improve as a person, I have much mirror work to do, I believe it comes as detachment and healing comes - that said, I believe I am a better mom today then I was 2.5 years ago, I am less selfish, and more faithful in my spiritual journey - however, I am not as good of a listener to my family and friends, and I have less capacity for “service.” I am still struggling to put my oxygen mask on. This time next year, I hope to be able to provide a much better response, but it’s a lovely question and thanks for asking.
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

F
#7: November 21, 2019, 01:49:57 PM
3boys-Interesting that you bring up less capacity for service.  My kids and I regularly volunteered before this at a pregnancy center, and a food and clothing distribution center.  I volunteered at church and typically ran a Ministry.  We gave much more financially as well.

Now, just keeping up with my life and kids is enough.  Also, we have less money to give to charity.  My husband’s sin has definitely caused great harm and now instead of us being the strong family that helps others, we have needed people to lean on.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:53:57 PM by Finding Joy »
Married 23 years
Husband is 46
Me-42
4 kids 9-18 years old
BD-October 2018-ILYBNIL, wants a divorce, 2 OW at different times.
April 2019 He got an apartment and moved out.
Oct 2019-Apologized for a years worth of monster behavior.  Still wants to start divorce this Spring, is distant, but friendly.  Tries more with kids, but superficial.
2020-He has continued to help out when asked and be polite.  I do think he questions his choices at times.  I do not believe he has OW.
Oct 2020-He wants to get back together.  I am unsure. 
August 2021-.  He has shown very gradual, but consistent progress.  He moved back home.
December 2022-He has been home for 1 1/2 years reconnecting, in the room with me for several months. I now consider us reconciled.
October 2023-After two years home and being the man he should be, I finally fully let him back into my heart.

#8: November 22, 2019, 02:25:00 AM
Why is it the only answer that comes to mind when I read this question is:

I was able to control my crazy side and not drag OW by her hair over the counter of their work, before rearranging her teeth for her... the day I found out?

I am only joking....

...Kind of... :o

But in all seriousness I suppose this ridiculous, self absorbed, betrayal layered cake...has really only taught me that I have more internal strength than I realised, and even in all the pain and mess...the only one who can hold me back is me.

And on a darker more realistic note....no matter how much you invest and put into someone else they can always leave...without so much as a good reason why. So stop investing more in other people than you do in yourself.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:27:36 AM by Mortesbride »
You know this is MLC when you have played emotional hot potato with a pair of crotch-less tights.

S
#9: November 22, 2019, 10:08:40 AM
It has taught me that I should never love another person more than myself

It made me get active and do outdoorsy stuff which I didn't realize that I love so much

It brought me to my knees and humbly admitting to God that I cannot do this on my own and ask for his help

I am still working on these though....

Quit wallowing and start living as if he wasn't coming back...this whole thing called hope keeps holding me back

Me 53
H 51
AD 22 from previous R
Known H since 1993
Together since 2000
BD 06/21/2017
OW High School Sweetheart lives 4 hrs away

• Mentor
#10: November 22, 2019, 09:47:51 PM
I have a problem with the question (no surprise). All of my accomplishments as an LBS would have bern the same had I been a widow, or XH had gotten dementia or he had become disabled in some way. Any of those things would have led me to where I am, some maybe even further, but my greatest accomplishment has zero to do with being an LBS. it has to do with being thrown into a situation where the only person who can keep everything from falling apart is me. And that is my greatest accomplishment: when it all came down to me, I was able to prosper, on my own, keep my kids in school, keep my house, find a job, improve my lot in life.
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#11: December 03, 2019, 09:09:42 AM
It's funny, for the first maybe 2 years, if someone had asked me to find a benefit in being an LBS, I would have rolled my eyes and said there is NO benefit to any of this horrid situation.

But there is for me.  Because of dealing with MLC and because of all the events of the last few years, I can recognize narcissists, where before, I had a fairly limited idea of what a narcissist really was.  I can now recognize gaslighting immediately....funny, a few years ago, I didn't even know the word 'gaslighting.'
I can recognize projection a hundred miles away. 

Not the kind of benefits I was looking for, but there you have it.  They are actually important skills, as is recognizing when things don't make sense.  They'll serve me well, and at this point, that's all I can ask of life.

“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.