Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!

M
Off-Topic Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!
#40: March 19, 2020, 08:56:15 AM
I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of COVID 19 nor am I arguing against the measures being taken to slow down its transmission. But what is interesting is that we don't know how many undiagnosed cases there already are of COVID 19. Because of a lack of testing, all that we're really seeing are the serious cases.

If you look at the nmbers for serious flu cases this year, 280,000, vs. the number of deaths, 16,000, that's almost 6 deaths per 100 hospitalized which is far higher than the current suspected COVID 19 death rate. Furthermore, while COVID 19 so far seems to mostly kill the elderly and those with preexisting conditions, the flu kills people from all age groups, including many young, healthy children and adults.

Some of the news media have commented on the difference between COVID 19 in South Korea, where the death rate is relatively low, and COVID 19 in Italy, where the death rate is quite high. The biggest difference between the two seems to be that South Korea has aggressively tested people for COVID 19. It's been pointed out by the news media that this aggressive testing has made it possible for South Korea to identify those who have the disease and isolate them, thus better controlling transmission of the disease. What hasn't been mentioned is that it has also given South Korea a more accurate picture of the true death rate, including both serious and mild cases, which in South Korea seems to be much closer to the death rate for influenza.

Regardless, influenza and COVID 19 are both serious infectious diseases, the measures being implemented to fight COVID 19 are effective against both diseases, and the health care systems in most countries seem to be ill prepared to handle a large influx of new patients with either disease, so I hope everyone will follow the suggested guidelines and stay healthy. And I hope everyone's financial health isn't too badly impacted by this situation.

Thanks for giving me a forum where I can share my thoughts.

Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!
#41: March 19, 2020, 09:21:58 AM
Thank you MB for some wise words amidst all the fake stories and panic

All the media has done is caused wide spread panic and the result of that are empty supermarket shelves and members of staff being attacked by members of the public!

It is worrying but as far as I can see more people have died of normal flu!

Take care everyone and stay safe

X

M
COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!
#42: March 19, 2020, 09:54:48 AM
I'm going to add something here, and take it with a grain of salt because I had no official testing. I am a therapist. I saw a kiddo who came in sick in January. Her parents told me she had had a fever the day before. She had a little sniffle and a slight cough. Her father had returned from China the week before. (we weren't really talking about COVID-19 at the time). About 5 days later I became ill. It was on a Wednesday because I was with clients and I remember having to cancel my afternoon. I had massive chills, ran a fever between 101-102 for two days, had a killer headache and a bit of a cough. After 2 days, the fever broke and I started feeling better. Took me about a week to get back to my normal energy level. Am I saying I had it? Maybe. Obviously I wasn't tested, but the timing was right and seeing as the kiddo's father had been in China.... I guess why I'm putting this out here is because we don't truly know the number of people that have been infected, so it's hard to know the morality rate, etc. I'm just complying with the recommendations because it seems prudent to do so.

• Mentor
#43: March 19, 2020, 09:59:02 AM
Please do not downplay this.

There is a vaccine for Influenza. Influenza's "patterns" are well known by the scientific community.

You can shorten the severity and the duration of influenza with Tamiful.

This is a new virus, one that little is known about. There are no TREATMENTS for this virus. No VACCINE.

Our hospitals are already functioning at capacity in normal times. They cannot handle the number of critically ill cases that will need ventilators. Triage will occur which means that doctors will make decisions about who is going to live and who is going to die.

Get your factual information from the CDC or WHO. Dr. Anthony Fauci from the NIH KNOWS his stuff.

Please DO NOT brush this off as not as dangerous as influenza.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

N
#44: March 19, 2020, 10:02:46 AM
The problem is not simply the proportion of people who die from it.  It is that there is no immunity to it, whereas there is considerable immunity to flu both from natural means and from vaccinations.

So our medical system is swamped.

‘Normal’ flu is  by no means harmless, but it affects a limited number of people each year.  Those st the front line - the a and e personnel, the anaesthetists, the surgeons are genuinely alarmed.  If my child has a ‘normal’ asthma attack and needs a ventilator, s/he will be in competition with a very large number of other people.  The same goes for if s/he needs an icu bed after a car accident or a stroke or appendicitis or any other reason.  Psychiatrists I know are told they will be taken away from Psychiatric work and put into A and E to shore up the need.   A friend who is an anaesthetist at a university hospital said we are imminently going to have 100 people needing an icu bed and only one bed available.

It’s the sheer volume rather than the severity.  Bird flu was far  more fatal  but  far harder to catch.  If it’s your parents or relatives who are not given the bed because someone else is deemed more deserving, how will you feel?  The person who questioned whether a few lives here and there were worth the economic damage isn’t thinking that she or her loved ones are going under, I assume - that or else she’s An acolyte of Trump.

There’s  plenty of sound information (as much as is known at this stage) if we care to look to the correct sources.  There is disagreement but that is because this is a dynamically
Changing scenario and anyway, scientists question and disagree and debate.  That’s what they are supposed to do.

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#45: March 19, 2020, 10:05:51 AM
It all comes down to math.

0 % of the population has immunity to covid 19 whereas cautious people have had the option to get a flu vaccine for years.
So when comparing the death rates between covid and flu, you have to use denominators that differ greatly. Madrid is now expecting an 80% infection rate. If you apply that to the US population and then take 20% of that, about 53 million folks may very well need hospital care. We do not have the personnel nor equipment to tend to the number of expected sick people. Add to that all the illness and accidents that happen when not in a pandemic and we are going to be overwhelmed. When the CDC is telling healthcare workers that they can use bandanas as a desperate measure, it means we are in for hard times.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

#46: March 19, 2020, 02:38:27 PM
Thanks for the well wishes all. It’s no fun, but I have great friends and family who will run time pick up necessities and drop on the door step. MLC H even (through S14 who is pretty sick) offered yesterday and again this morning to bring anything we need.

S15s GF’s family is quarantined until March 26, the dad got it, but so far not the wife or either GF15 or her little brother 12.  The grandfather was asked to participate in a human trial, experimental so offered only if the patient is essentially going to die - well, Grandpa is responding! Wednesday night they didn’t think he would live through the night, amazing answer to prayers - the side effects are not yet know, but he is talking and responding. Thanks all for the prayers
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

s
#47: March 19, 2020, 02:53:28 PM

I believe we have about 60 reported cases of the virus in Minnesotan most all of them were travel related, not person to person.

Yes, Thunder...yesterday we had 60.  Today we have 89.  I have also been told we have over 300 samples frozen waiting to be tested because we can't get enough testing kits. 

It's going to keep going up.  I have to go to work but my building has only 3 other employees (offices quite a distance apart) and we need to be there to facilitate distance learning for students.  We've not been allowed to do it from home but it's probably going to be mandated before too long. 

Our gyms, restaurants (doing to go orders only), libraries, churches, salons, schools.....all are shut down.  The grocery store in my small town still has most items available, with the exception of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and clorox wipes. 

I do not take it lightly - I had pneumonia many times as a infant/toddler/child and I also use an inhaler if my asthma kicks in.  I've done all I can to lead a healthy lifestyle as an adult but if a respiratory virus hits me, I'm likely to end up in a hospital.  My lungs are compromised. 

It's a good thing I've had a lot of practice these last 4 years learning how to be alone - it has come in handy. 

Stay the course, HS peeps. 
BD: 1/1/16
Together 15 years - married 7 years
His divorce final 7/26/16
Married the OW

After all, tomorrow is another day.

• Mentor
#48: March 19, 2020, 03:03:00 PM
The person who questioned whether a few lives here and there were worth the economic damage isn’t thinking that she or her loved ones are going under, I assume - that or else she’s An acolyte of Trump.
This was unfair. Not everyone runs on the emotional "what-if it were their loved one who was ill".  It's OK if you happen to, but unfair to judge those who may not or accuse them of being an acolyte of anyone because they run on the "What-if the economy is trashed, people lose their house, their jobs, their livelihood and die from stress related illness or become more prone to COVID 19 due to being unable to take care of themselves and their family". There is no requirement that we have to agree with each other.
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

F
#49: March 19, 2020, 03:09:15 PM
Surviving-I also believe the virus already went through my household in January.  We tested negative for the flu and mine turned into pneumonia.  I was sick for 6 weeks, only down for two.

The two of us with asthma are the two that really struggled, the others only had it a week. 

Being in an at risk group, yet being overall healthy, I have to say this was way worse than the flu.  Though I was never tested, so nothing is confirmed.
Married 23 years
Husband is 46
Me-42
4 kids 9-18 years old
BD-October 2018-ILYBNIL, wants a divorce, 2 OW at different times.
April 2019 He got an apartment and moved out.
Oct 2019-Apologized for a years worth of monster behavior.  Still wants to start divorce this Spring, is distant, but friendly.  Tries more with kids, but superficial.
2020-He has continued to help out when asked and be polite.  I do think he questions his choices at times.  I do not believe he has OW.
Oct 2020-He wants to get back together.  I am unsure. 
August 2021-.  He has shown very gradual, but consistent progress.  He moved back home.
December 2022-He has been home for 1 1/2 years reconnecting, in the room with me for several months. I now consider us reconciled.
October 2023-After two years home and being the man he should be, I finally fully let him back into my heart.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.