Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!

• Mentor
Off-Topic COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!
#50: March 19, 2020, 03:19:54 PM
I place my trust in The World Health Organization, The Center for Disease Control, The national Institute for Health and all the other public health agencies around the world who are leading the fight against COVID-19. They are the experts. They have prepared for pandemics before and are working towards limiting the spread of the virus so that lives will be saved.

Lives will be saved. That is what I consider to be important.

Slowing down the spread of the virus will ultimately allow the economy to recover.

A society that does not value life (and we are already in that mindset but don't get me started on that) is one that will be the ruin of itself.

Just my opinion. No we do not have to agree with one another. Nerissa was expressing her thoughts and she was well within her right to do so.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

N
COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!
#51: March 19, 2020, 04:38:04 PM
The person who questioned whether a few lives here and there were worth the economic damage isn’t thinking that she or her loved ones are going under, I assume - that or else she’s An acolyte of Trump.
This was unfair. Not everyone runs on the emotional "what-if it were their loved one who was ill".  It's OK if you happen to, but unfair to judge those who may not or accuse them of being an acolyte of anyone because they run on the "What-if the economy is trashed, people lose their house, their jobs, their livelihood and die from stress related illness or become more prone to COVID 19 due to being unable to take care of themselves and their family". There is no requirement that we have to agree with each other.

Point accepted, Off-road.  I wrote carelessly.  But I’m not running on emotion.  The post I referred to is here:

“The disease is highly contagious, that’s for sure.  Probably more than we realize.  Give they are saying 80% that get it will have little or even no symptoms and we aren’t doing widespread testing, it could be far more widespread than we realize.  The mortality rate is very high in the elderly but the latest numbers I’m seeing for the whole infected population are now estimated to be much closer to the flu.  Everyone keeps pointing to Italy for how bad it will get and I keep asking what the population there looks like compared to other nations?  Is it older?  More smokers?  Those facts matter.

So I keep coming back to “at what cost”. Are we actually saving lives by destroying the global economy?  And how many lives?  Does even one life saved justify the financial ruin of millions?  It’s the retired those just starting out that will suffer the most though lower retirement funds and future necessary tax increases to pay for all the bailouts being talked about.

Have we reached a point where the cure is worse than the disease?  I am not an expert it virology, but I do understand data sets and statistics and economics and the numbers don’t work out when I look at what they are presenting.”

And it seemed to me to be thoughtless and  and asking questions with answers, (as far as possible when the circumstances are unprecedented) which are in the public domain.  As Treasur pointed out somewhere, right wing governments are not known for trashing their economies for fun.   Expert Forecasts are easily available on any reputable news site and the  situation  in Italy and Spain  is broadcast.   The human (and economic)  cost of inaction will be huge. it isn’t hard to educate ourselves  about the basics and to know that we are not talking about the loss of a small number of lives. I’m not arguing about the ethics of choosing lives  over economic growth - just that the post didn’t seem to me to have a grasp of the situation.

Denial  and cognitive dissonance are very real. Our own experiences mean  We know that better than most!

M
Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe!
#52: March 19, 2020, 04:45:32 PM
Thanks for the update 3Boys. I hope the grandfather continues to respond well to the trial therapy. That's good news not only for him and his family but for all of us.

SB, take care of yourself. Do you have anyone to help out if needed?

s
#53: March 19, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
I’ve been thinking for a while that it’s time for me to walk away from this site.  I haven’t stated a new thread because for a long time I’ve felt that only people who run on emotion are welcome here.  I run on logic.  I’m willing to have a rational discussion with a anyone.  But I won’t debate emotional pleas.  I’ve written several responses to this post over the last day but have deleted them all.  Accusing me to be a f****** Trump acolyte because I disagree......passive aggressively asking if you misunderstood my words because you disagree is BS.  On the bright side, this site once again taught me that I don’t have to put up with stupid $h!te from my husband or anyone else.

Farewell.
H: 44
M: 45
M: 2003, T: 2001, Friends: 1996
No kids
2 dogs, 2 cats
BD1 (Summer 2014) "We aren't happy, I should move out, we should divorce"  Nothing happened.
Nov 2014 we moved across the country for H's job
BD2 (July 2015) "I'm not happy.  I want a divorce"  H moves out for 2 weeks.
BD3 (Nov 2017) H takes a new job 2 hours away and moves out.
BD4 (September 2018) OW2 discovered despite claims there has never been one.  She outs MOW1 and discloses that H filed for Divorce, but has not served me.  OW2 dumps him.

#54: March 19, 2020, 05:13:01 PM
Thanks Brain, I have tremendous support. A sister already brought me supplies today and other siblings and friends are on-line for when we need more. We are blessed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:15:53 PM by 3Boys4Me »
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

• Mentor
#55: March 19, 2020, 07:17:45 PM
I've been off the forum for awhile now, but wanted to put the good news out there.
China's been able to close 6 sites of service of COVID 19 because the need is decreasing.
So, in a few weeks we should be there.
Keep staying safe and doing the right things.

Sea

M
#56: March 19, 2020, 08:49:25 PM
[quote author=Finding Joy link=topic=11420.msg760098#msg760098 date=1584655755
Being in an at risk group, yet being overall healthy, I have to say this was way worse than the flu.  Though I was never tested, so nothing is confirmed.
[/quote]

Right! I don’t get flu shots because I did once and was so sick. I’ve had influenza a few times over the years but I’m young and healthy. If I get sick I stay home and keep away from people. Whatever I had in January was way worse than any influenza I’ve ever had. Again, I am quite healthy with no underlying medical conditions so it never occurred to me to seek medical attention so I guess I won’t know if I actually had it or not. Whatever it was, it was bad and I wouldn’t want to see what it could have done to someone with a compromised immune system or an elderly person.

W
#57: March 20, 2020, 12:23:25 AM
I am truly sorry for everybody that is directly affected by the Virus, I wish you all well and the strength to get through this. Nobody should be alone right now, make a phone call, chat with loved ones and friends, crack a joke in your Whatsapp groups and try to pick people up who are down or just bored! If anybody wants to Whatsapp me (even if out of pure boredom)  just pm me for my number.
I personally do not like the comparisons to the flu. These are the comparisons used at "the start" of this which caused Governments to take it on the light shoulder for too Long. Trump is a great example!!!

It will not be as bad as it in Italy everywhere. Italy has an older than average Population and it is common for Generations to all live together in one house meaning that the elderly are on the front line so to speak. Its similar in Spain, Turkey and other countries.
Turkey is horrible example of how quick this Virus can spread when given a Chance. On the 12.03 Turkey had just one case, 13.03 - 5, 15.03 - 6, 16.03 - 18 17.03 - 47 18.03 - 98 19.03 - 192 20.03 - 359….. we can expect to see a similar rise in countries like India, Pakistan and others soon too.

I suspect that the figures in the USA (Especially NY) are going to double in the next 3-4 days latest, a similar pattern if not quicker than that we are seeing in Germany atm.

Life will be different when this is over.  I just hope that we all as a human race can grow together a Little and show more respect for the simple Things in life and learn to appreciate Things like Sport events, bars, concerts and all public gatherings in general.

Please Stay home if you can and take this seriously. I personally have no fear, I still have to go to work every day but I truly believe that this whole Situation is for the best.
We can still go for walks and appreciate simple things. We can still ride our motorbikes (I think/hope). You are alone on a bike afterall and have a helmet on so that may just become the go to, pretty safe activity over the next few weeks.
Just look what has happened to the water in Venice with just a week or 2 without humans. The planet is breathing a sigh of relief and we Need to grasp this Chance and stand together in Solidarity.
Married - 19,5 Years pre BD
Together - 21,5 Years
Me: 46
W: 46 (Acts 25)
BD 1: 10.01.2017
BD 2: 24.02.2017 OM 28 (now 31) Trainings partner. Is tolerated by LaFamiglia
2 Sons - 20 & 21
1 Dogs and a cat.
Own home . Sold!
Divorce Date 21.08.2018
T1  http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=8671.0

#58: March 20, 2020, 01:18:29 AM
A lovely thing happened yesterday....bc don't we LBS all love those glimmers of good humans, so refreshingly unMLC  :).
A note came through my door that a local group of volunteers is offering to be a source of support to anyone living alone, ill or isolated without a family support system. Our local small shops have already sent round a note that they have set up a centralised delivery system for anyone who needs it but of course little shops only have a few people. And people might need support in more than just shopping. Good idea I thought bc where I live has an older population. I'm going to ring the guy up and volunteer. I really like it when we are reminded of the kind of unshowy solidarity that WhyUs mentions.....it is easy to forget that it is out there, but truthfully our communities are full of it and we can be optimistic about that https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/after-coronavirus-well-be-poorer-and-more-broken-but-we-might-be-more-tender-too

On a more somber but practical note https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpRlI-W_cEc.....this young fit 39 year old woman with no pre existing health conditions recovering from the virus in ICU posted this. Her big message....it's real, please don't take chances with it and you need your lungs and immune system to be as strong as possible
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:34:24 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.