Skip to main content

Author Topic:  2 years in - feeling really panicked

A
2 years in - feeling really panicked
OP: October 11, 2023, 02:21:19 AM
Hello fellow "sufferers" (sorry if I am a bit gloomy),

About 2 years ago this journey unfortunately started for me....
It was around this time that my husband let it be known in the harshest terms that he was not happy and wanted me to leave our home. "We were not a good match, never had been, I had taken his money, I was dominant"... and luckily I have forgotten a lot of things that were said.... It was horrible and could easily fall under the heading of verbal and psychological abuse.... I am still really traumatised by it, although I did see a psychologist for a while.
Now a lot of water has passed under the bridge and although I am certain he was never out of MLC, we have had very good times with a lot of progress. I never left our home and we also saw a (really good) relationship therapist for a while. 
Now we are back in a very difficult period and despite Kenda-Ruth's explanation that this is normal (emotional cycling), I feel a lot of panic. I am afraid of a possible next outburst or a radical decision since he seems so unhappy.... I also worry, because obviously I do love him very much. I am on the verge of crying the whole time.
That is why I have signed up for Stand up & Thrive and I hope to find some support here.... God knows I can use it.

Incredibly sad regards,

Alice

M 48, W42. Married 13 years, together 23
2 children D12, D12
BD Oct 21
OW discovered May 22 (ended before that)
H still living at home
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 02:24:32 AM by Aliceinwonderland »
2 children D12, D12
BD Oct 21
H at home

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#1: October 11, 2023, 02:43:47 AM
Hello Alice,

Welcome to the party tat no one EVER wanted an invitation to attend.

As you noted, your MLC'er was likely never out of his MLC - what you describe is commonly referred to as a "Touch and Go" where the MLC'er suddenly decides that things are better ... for a while... until they aren't.

The thing to remember here is that this is NOT your crisis and has nothing to do with your marriage or your relationship or you personally. No matter who your MLCH was married to at this point in his life, sooner or later, it all would have blown up because it is a lack inside the Mid-Lifer themselves that causes the crisis.

If you are able to see an IC on your own to help you deal with the emotional cycling, that might be helpful to you. Likewise, getting back into see your relationship therapist, if it was helpful, might be a good idea but, first and foremost, your MLCH has to want to deal with HIS issues that are the root cause of this whole thing. If he chooses not to do that, you have as much chance of "saving" him (and unfortunately your marrriage0 as you do to change the path of a tornado by standing outside, waving your arms and yelling at it to go away.

My personal advice is that, if he wants you to leave, do not do it. He wants out, he can leave the house and find someplace to live. (you know, he gets to experience the consequences of his actions).

You have 2 daughters of the same age? Twins? They will need a stable parent in their lives and your Mid-Lifer is NOT going to be it..... Just make sure that you are taking care of your needs too like sleep, eating, exercise, drinking enough water (putting your own Oxygen Mask on first) so you can be in a position t be that stable support they will need.

UM
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

A
#2: October 13, 2023, 01:46:55 PM
Hello UM,

Thank you for your kind words.

Of course you are right. And rationally I knew this was coming, ... I just thought I was ready for it emotionally as well and it turns out I am not. I was in such a much better place last time around.

Today I got the speech again... more or less. "I love you sometimes, ... " And though I already felt he does not love me right now I feel stricken by grief just for hearing that.

I would like to know a little bit more about this cycling thing. How does it work, what to expect?

Yes, my daughters are twins. And of course they also can feel something is up again. I am trying to be there for them as he certainly is not a the moment...

Thanks for listening...

Kind regards,

Alice Edited to remove real name - UM
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 01:37:26 AM by UrsaMajor »
2 children D12, D12
BD Oct 21
H at home

A
#3: October 15, 2023, 03:27:05 AM
Hello all,

Today I am having a very bad day... I do not know why, because actually for the whole weekend H. was reasonably friendly and interested, though still not very loving or connected...

I am just so angry... I feel so much pressure inside. I know I should not burst out in reproach and blame, because that certainly is not going to help, but it is taking all my might not too... At the moment I feel so fed up, so tired, so drained... , so much so that I do not really have an idea what could help me get out of this rut... Any ideas from anyone?

Alice Edited to remove real name
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 01:37:59 AM by UrsaMajor »
2 children D12, D12
BD Oct 21
H at home

• Mentor
#4: October 16, 2023, 02:02:01 AM
Hello all,

Today I am having a very bad day... I do not know why, because actually for the whole weekend H. was reasonably friendly and interested, though still not very loving or connected...

I am just so angry... I feel so much pressure inside. I know I should not burst out in reproach and blame, because that certainly is not going to help, but it is taking all my might not too... At the moment I feel so fed up, so tired, so drained... , so much so that I do not really have an idea what could help me get out of this rut... Any ideas from anyone?

Alice Edited to remove real name

Good Morning (from my side of the planet),

2 things-

First and foremost - please do not use your real name. Mid-lifers have found their LBS's here as this is an open forum (publicly visible) as have the Affair Partners) so we have a "no real name" policy to provide some modicum of protection of identity. I have taken the liberty to edit your last 2 posts and used your Screen Name "Alice" in place for your sign-off

Second, you are 100% correct that doing a Mt. Vesuvius on him (blowing your top  ;) ) is going to be totally counter-productive so, what do you to to counteract the desire to

Chop him off at the knees? (Had to get that Alice In Wonderland reference in there somehow)

You concentrate on you and your girls.... you return (mirror) his level of involvement with you.... If he nods, nod back. If he asks superficial questions, give him a superficial answer. You meet them on their level of involvement and do your own thing otherwise, you and your girls.

Imagine that you are each on your own yacht. He is off on his own path and if there are times wen your paths are parallel, you can wave to each other and be polite and friendly but you sure do not need to tie his boat to yours if he is not interested in providing a couple of the ropes and a couple of bumpers too. You can not be the one to do all the heavy lifting. If he chooses the friendly, interested, but "distant" role, then that is where you meet him. Anything more, any attempt to pull him closer will be met with avoidance ranging form shutting down to passive-aggressive pushback to full-blown attach (a strong offense being an acceptable form of defense in their minds)

This is where the "Getting a Life" thing  comes in. Your MLC'er is a grown person and doesn't need  to be entertained by you. You can do your own thing and he can decide if that is something he wishes to take part in or not.

Likewise, something else that you wrote was that you were having a bad day and were not sure why and describing your own inner turmoil. finding ways to relieve that internal pressure that is 100% independent of MLCH is one of the jobs that you have. Maybe that means you go for a walk, take your kids to the local park/playground (weather permitting), meditating (if that is your thing), something but something that does not involve your MLCH or rely on any input/feedback/acknowledgement/acceptance from him - something that you do for you (and your kids if appropriate) that helps YOU to relieve the pressure, defuse the anger, lower the stress levels.  Once you get a few options in this basket, you will find that the pressure and anger don't build up to the point of catastrophic eruption anymore and you yourself will not cycle as much or as fast. You'll find yourself more on an even keel (going back to my boat analogy) despite the MLC chaos going on around you that is roughening up your seas....

UM

Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

A
#5: October 20, 2023, 05:10:42 AM
Hi UM,

Thanks for your reply. Of course you're right... I will make sure not to use my real name again. Power of the habit, I guess. Even though I technically am a millenial I have never been much interested in social media or fora or things like that up until now... I always tried to connect with people in IRL... At the moment, however, I am grateful this forum exists, because I feel very few people understand what is going on in my family at the moment and how it is... It is so very difficult to describe and the advice very often is just so..., well, unhelpful..., going from "just leave and build a new life for yourself" to "think very hard what you are doing wrong and how you should change, because it takes two to tango, so you must have done something wrong."

Anyways, I will do my best to learn how this forum works.... Should I have posted this thread somewhere else? And can anyone just read this thread without making an account?

The Alice metaphor in my mind had more to do with being sucked in a black tunnel and then having to deal with all the madness that lies behind it, the good and the bad. I am not usually a very vindictive person  ;D, although the last couple of day I am having a bit of trouble with that.

Yesterday was a good day, today not so much... I have already been crying a couple of times today. I just feel it needs to get out as the realisation sinks in that we are back to square 1. I have been paying a bit closer attention and have seen that once again my husband's phone seems to be his best friend, he spends more time than usual on Whatsapp and  - I kid you not - a couple of days ago I spotted him asleep in bed while he was holding his phone on the nightstand... So something might be rotten in the state of Danmark again, though I have no proof, but to be fair I did never find any the last time around... I just got an STD as a nice surprise...

I have been reading up on MLC - The Eight Stages of a Mid-Life Crisis - and right now I am a bit puzzled about the emotional cycling thing, because I thought  KR explains that with each cycle something gets resolved and the next cycle people go a little bit less deep... In the book by Heartsblessing Heartsblessing it states that it will get worse every time because people have refused to find a resolution for their problems the first time around.

Also, it has a whole section on that you need to find out why you have attracted such a weak person in the first place as a LBS and that you should also solve that problem... That puzzles me..., because I cannot think of any issues like that... Maybe time is not ripe yet?

Thanks again for listening,

Alice
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 05:12:04 AM by Aliceinwonderland »
2 children D12, D12
BD Oct 21
H at home

• Mentor
#6: October 20, 2023, 06:20:39 AM
Hello,

(Long Post Warning)

The vast majority of the people in the world have no real concept of the Bat-Snot-Crazy that our lives have turned into. As far as the "what did you do wrong" crowd goes, they are usually the ones buying into the narrative of the Mid-Lifer or have guilt about their own failings - projection anyone?

Then there is the "kick the Mid-Lifer to the curb and move on" crew - they are those that have often (in my experience) never formed deep, meaningful relationships with others and see their relational partner as a means to an end - like a car or anything else that one uses until it breaks, then they toss it aside and get a new one....

Neither group has the slightest clue of what is going on in YOUR life and the dramatic changes that have taken place in a VERY short period of time. I often compare the Mid-Lifer to either "The Bug in the Edgar Suit" from the movie Men in Black or the Body Snatcher pod in the Garden Shed from Invasion of the Body Snatchers because the sudden transformation from the person formerly known as "Spouse" to this

leaves us all reeling.

To answer your other questions - yes, this is the correct place to post and continue your thread and yes, this is an open forum so anyone anywhere can read here, even without an account. That is why we insist on made up names. There have been instances where the MLC'er or worse, the Affair Down, has found the forum and the LBS's thread.

Your metaphorical name summarizes exactly how most of us felt when we got Bomb-Dropped and blind-sided.

There is no real hard and fast "roadmap" to an MLC. Anyone that provides one is either speaking from their own experience or are selling you a bottle of snake oil.  There are "stages" that seem to be common to nearly all Mid-Lifers but the duration and severity is variable. If one considers strictly casual commonality, the severity and duration almost appears to coincide with the amount of "damage" the Mid-Lifer has to confront within themselves from their past or their inability to sooth/nurture themselves. However, each MLC'er has their own path and their own timeline. Some never get out of the tunnel and stay in replay the rest of their lives (under the motto "It's better to burn out than to fade away." My xFIL was one of those and he died of heart failure) while others do emerge later but stay bound to whatever life they have chosen for themselves during their MLC. Still others emerge as a semi-healed individual who wish to reconcile with their LBS and make amends.... There is no way in advance to know what the outcome will be. That is why we preach "taking your eyes off the Mid-Lifer, live a life like they are not coming back, and do the work you need to do to heal your own wounds."

I personally find the whole "why did you attract such a person in the first place" stuff to be a guilt trip. No one to my knowledge has been given the power to read minds and predict the future so saying we attracted someone who was going to essentially have a mental implosion is sort of like saying that it is actually our own fault. That is sheer and utter male bovine excrement. The fact that the person we married has suddenly decided that our marriage is not worth a darn, that the LBS has suddenly mutated into the 2nd cousin of Satan themselves, and that the Mid-Lifer has NEVER been happy in the marriage should be the clue that the issue is not and never was with the marriage or the relationship or the LBS.  I mean, seriously, if you were absolutely revolted by the very thought of eating liver and onions, would you have happily eaten liver and onions every day for how ever many years you were married? Probably not....

As far as his phone goes, 1) snooping is like sticking a fork up your nose...... It hurts like Hades when the truth comes out and it WILL come out in the end. 2) If it walks like a duck, flies like a duck, swims like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, poops like a duck and tastes like a duck when it is cooked, well... it is HIGHLY likely that is is/was a duck.... From the stories here, most Mid-Lifers (especially male ones although the female mid-lifers are not far behind)  will, at some point, have an affair, be it emotional, physical, or fantasy. They have essentially checked out of the marriage at Bomb Drop as far as they are concerned so they feel free to do whatever and whoever they choose without remorse.... Meanwhile the LBS is supposed to be sitting on the porch in their rocking chair, surrounded by a pile of boogery Kleenexes, crocheting lace doilies and listening to sad songs waiting for the Mid-Lifer to come back..... Well

The LBS has a life to live, places to go, a things to do that do NOT include wasting time foor the Mid-Lifer to finally get their head out of their ..... fog..... That does NOT mean that we kick them to the curb and move on. It means that we start taking responsibility for our own lives as a unit of one rather than a couple, we dig deep inside ourselves to regain that core of who we are and who we were when we were only responsible to ourselves (naturally, this changes a bit when there are kids involved because the role of Mom or Dad doesn't just vanish, just because our Mid-Lifer has done a runner - in those cases it can be even more crucial because, where there used to be 2 parents, there is now only one stable parent and one "Old weird Uncle Bert that lives in the basement"-type person running around wearing the body of the parent....

Take a look at the links in my signature Tag, especially the "Resources for Newbies" (even if you are 2 years into this Ultra-Marathon slog through the mud) and that might give you more insight as to what and how we grow forward in our lives after everything that we have known has been blown up....

UM
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A
#7: October 21, 2023, 02:59:59 PM
Hello courageous people,

My story thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=12115.0

I just wonder if anyone else has had this experience of flashbacks?

A couple of days ago I was laying in bed and had all these nice memories of things me and my husband went through come before my mind's eye. I was not actively trying to do this... It just happened and it was really nice. Even things from very long ago, things I thought I had forgotten.

Last night I had the same thing, only with all the $h!tety things he's done, not only now during MLC, but also long before that...

Does anyone else experience these?

Love

Alice
2 children D12, D12
BD Oct 21
H at home

K
#8: October 22, 2023, 10:43:16 AM
Not sure I have Alice - how would you distinguish between flashbacks and reverie. Or vivid memories? I tend to think of flashbacks as being  almost hallucinatory experiences. Is that what you mean? Maybe others will chime in on this.

By the way, I cannot see your thread coming up on the main landing page - maybe one of the moderators can assist?

A
#9: October 22, 2023, 01:14:01 PM
Hi Kaydee,

They are real memories, things that have happened, but I thought I had forgotten, also because they are such small things... Acts of kindness in daily life, but also very mean things to do...

Not sure why my thread is not showing up. Whom should I ask?

Kind regards,

Alice
2 children D12, D12
BD Oct 21
H at home

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.