Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story This Too Shall Pass

K
My Story This Too Shall Pass
OP: April 04, 2023, 04:41:17 PM
Last Thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11690.new#new

In May, it'll be 7 years since BD. Wow. Feels like 30.  ;)

Where to begin. Since I last posted, H went off the deep end. Got blasted drunk early on a Sunday morning mid December and fled the house when I called him on it. Shortly after he left, OW shows up at my door. Again. Tells me he was living with her all last year (when he told me he lived in his own apartment) and that he calls her when he drinks for her to come get him. Which she does. In her pajamas on my doorstep. She had no idea he was married the whole time.  ::)  That he ruined her life b/c now her own son hates her. Yada yada yada.  Anyway, I told her she can have him and promptly kicked him out.  He proceeded to drink all night, threatening to kill himself and then wanted to come home....... so I blocked him.

Next day he had a come to Jesus. Said he hit rock bottom and knew he could never drink again. I support that but he still couldn't come home. He moved into his parents home and I left for Philly for Christmas with S16. Then in January, the day after I returned home, MIL had a massive heart attack and passed away a week later. We were all devastated. H is still living at their house still and is  taking care of his father. First time he has ever had to care for another human being in a long long time.

Then S16  reached out to me saying he had no motivation and couldn't sleep. That he felt sad all the time. Then he had a panic attack during practice one afternoon. It is a horrible feeling when your child is in trouble and you don't know how to help them. His school has an excellent counselor, so he is seeing him now and seems to be doing better.

H is working on his sobriety and says he wants to be a family again. Problem is, this is what I thought was going on last year....while he was in fact living  with the FB. I don't really believe a word that comes out of his mouth. So I am back at that place where I am living for me and S16 only. It is lacrosse season so H is extremely busy although he does see S16 for practices and games on the regular.  And he comes over for dinner with his dad every so often and will also come for Easter. I guess the difference is, I am no longer invested. A strange apathy took over after that cold morning in December. And though I feel terrible about MIL, and how it affects H, I am more sad for myself. She and I actually had gotten close. And I miss her terribly. I realize her death triggered all of those abandonment feelings again.

Despite the fact that post looks terribly sad and negative, it really isn't my mindset currently. S16 is doing much better. I discovered the fact that he reached out in the first place is an excellent sign.  And I am generally happy. I just feel so overwhelmed and alone sometimes. But I think that will pass as well. We all grieve differently. Bad things have to happen in order to help us appreciate the good. And even in the worst of circumstances, this too shall pass.

Me 50
H 49
S15
BD 5/16
H Moved out 6/16
OW--yes. Worked for H. EA turned into PA while I was in chemo. On again/off again like every high school romance

• Mentor
  • How I long for your precepts! Psalm 119:40
This Too Shall Pass
#1: April 04, 2023, 05:01:56 PM
Oh KIT,

I feel for you... I rarely come on here anymore - I have so much on my plate. I re-read all over last year and just read this update - you are a brave woman KIT, and you carry on being that rock for S16.
Despite the fact that post looks terribly sad and negative, it really isn't my mindset currently. S16 is doing much better. I discovered the fact that he reached out in the first place is an excellent sign.  And I am generally happy. I just feel so overwhelmed and alone sometimes. But I think that will pass as well. We all grieve differently. Bad things have to happen in order to help us appreciate the good. And even in the worst of circumstances, this too shall pass.

Oh yes, this too shall pass

Maybe I will update soon - nothing new, just in the midst of a storm, however, this too shall pass.
M 61
H 61
S 31
D 28
BD 13 Dec 2010
Divorced 27 Feb 2015 (30 years marriage)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

b
Re: This Too Shall Pass
#2: April 04, 2023, 05:27:36 PM
KIT, I just came to say that I'm sorry for the loss of your MIL and also for all of the challenges that your H's crisis still presents.  You are  so strong in the face of it all.  You've survived every bad day to this point and will continue to do so....for you and your S.  He's very blessed to have such a courageous and supportive mom.

M
This Too Shall Pass
#3: April 04, 2023, 05:49:25 PM
So very sorry for the loss of your MIL. Maybe this will truly be a turning point for change. Sounds like despite the loss and the new betrayal you are in a strong place to move forward no matter how things unfold. Also, so glad your sons school was able to help him. It’s so important the young men lnow it’s ok
To seek help.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

This Too Shall Pass
#4: April 05, 2023, 12:59:27 AM
I’m sorry for your loss too, Kit.

And I hope you are managing to shut down any self-critical voice that is blaming yourself for believing him and giving him the (very generous) chance to start repairing the damage he has caused. His lies and avoidance and manipulation and the effects are simply not your responsibility. You gave him a chance, he blew it. You may or may not give him another.....but I suspect you will require rather more time and consistent evidence before/if you do. And that’s just fine. And it’s ok too to decide that you want not one jot more of the chaos he carries whether it is FB turning up on your doorstep or the effects of his drinking. You have other nicer, better, lovelier things to focus your time and energy on, right?

Acorn posted something on your last thread about her own realisation of needing to let go of her ‘greediness’ for her own h’s recovery and I thought that was a wise reminder. Your h will lie, drink and create mess around him until or unless he decides to stop doing so.....nothing to do with you or your son, not on a timeline that is influenced by you either way. You get to choose how much or how little of it you will allow past your door, but Acorn might be right that some kind of letting go of any investment you have in his recovery is a helpful thing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 02:35:18 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

• MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
This Too Shall Pass
#5: April 05, 2023, 05:49:21 AM
KIT, so good to hear from you.

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL.  I know from your past posts she was a person who seemed to be always in your corner while accepting her son for who he was.  She seemed like a bright light in your life, I'm really sorry.  It did remind me to call my MIL today.  She has been put in the same situation so many times. 

I can't say I'm surprised by your H.  I could just as easily see my H doing the very same thing.  A dip back into  mess of MLC to see if it can feel better than facing himself.  My H has taken a few dips himself.  Accepting this and guarding yourself and your heart is all you can do.  You seem calm and wise.  This is acceptance at its finest.

You have done an amazing job with your son.  You are his pillar, you are his rock.  It’s no small matter getting a 16 year old to open up and be honest.  You are an amazing mom.

I feel the times of overwhelming loneliness as well, and my H is still in the home.  Working on this myself. 

You sound good, strong and accepting.  Thanks for posting and showing all of us the unpredictability of MLC.  The only thing we can control is ourselves, and you are doing an outstanding job .

Hugs,  Roo
Husband 58
Me 58
Kids 3 sons 33, 30, 28 1 daughter 24
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017
married 36years.  Together 38
H never moved out except 3 weeks after BD #1
OW 30 year single mom employee-PA

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
This Too Shall Pass
#6: April 05, 2023, 07:27:55 AM
I'm sorry for the loss of your mother in law, KIT. I remember how she was supportive of you and how that meant a lot to you.

I'm also so glad that your S16 was able to share his feelings and reach out for help. I'm glad he has a counselor he feels comfortable working with.
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

s
This Too Shall Pass
#7: April 05, 2023, 08:08:08 AM
KIT - I also am not here much but I do occasionally check to see if there are updates from the folks who I got to know back in 2016 when my BD happened. 

Condolences on the loss of your MIL. 

I'm glad your son is working with a counselor.  I have many students that are in counseling and for the most part it appears to be such a good thing for them. 

Your MLCer......he has so many demons to escape.   Good on you for carrying on and being the parent your son needs. 

It was good to have an update from you, KIT. 
BD: 1/1/16
Together 15 years - married 7 years
His divorce final 7/26/16
Married the OW

After all, tomorrow is another day.

S
This Too Shall Pass
#8: April 05, 2023, 09:50:40 AM
Oh my goodness KIT. I was hoping to get an update on how you are doing but I did not see all of this. Wow, just wow and first off...HUGS.
I am terribly sorry that your MIL passed....mine passed a year ago but she shunned D and I at BD so I did not get to see her during her final days. I am absolutely flabbergasted that he lied to you on that level and was living with her the entire year.......I don't even have words, other than if anyone can handle it, it is you. I am glad that S reached out to you that he had problems and that he is getting help. That truly is the worst feeling when your child is in trouble and there isn't much you can do. My D had serious anxiety issues her first college year and it was hard, but she made it through and I pray that your son will see that counseling does help.
The nerve of that FB to just pop up at your door.....
You know what though.....wisdom from Treasur when I had my near fatal face plant (not literally) ...the most difficult situations bring often the most transformation out in us. It will be 6 years for me in June and I have followed your story from the beginning and I know you will be ok.
It sucks having to continuously be the strong one, and it does get very lonely, but what choice do we have ?
Your MLCer is a definite moron for getting a second chance with this fabulous person that is you and screwing it up like nobody else.
Not that it wil be any consolation, but  just wrote on my thread that my MLC was always such an honest man and his word meant something and now he has turned into a liar who cannot be believed about anything, which is similar to yours. Realizing that actually helped me the last few weeks and I hope you will also see that your MLC in his current version is not a man that you would give the time of day to.
Keep doing you and your S and I am glad that you are generally happy despite this messed up situation.
Hope to hear an update again soon. You got this.
Me 53
H 51
AD 22 from previous R
Known H since 1993
Together since 2000
BD 06/21/2017
OW High School Sweetheart lives 4 hrs away

• Mentor
This Too Shall Pass
#9: April 11, 2023, 03:08:31 PM
Im sorry for your loss KIT. Be strong, maybe it was a stumble, but who knows. It seems like you've been learning to put your first and that's important regardless. 

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
This Too Shall Pass
#10: April 25, 2023, 03:14:44 AM
I guess we will have to see if he stops drinking for real. He's already had issues with that before right? DUI if I recall correctly? The fact he fell off the wagon again despite that is NOT a promising sign...

As for you, since Judgy McJudge is no longer your circus or monkey to deal with, he can sink or swim on his own merits.

I am so sorry to hear about MIL though. that is such a sad thing to have happen....

I am glad that S16 confided in you though. That is a good first step and a better way to reinforce your R with him and his with you...

I think though that I need

now to get rid of the mental image of FB on your porch in her jammies.... UGH!
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

S
This Too Shall Pass
#11: April 27, 2023, 03:38:29 PM
Hi Kit:  I had no idea - last I heard he was living at home and behaving.  Just awful that you are dealing with his nonsense again.  FB is SO rude to come to your house - classless.....

I am sorry to hear about your S.  You have done such a good job of keeping him calm in the middle of the circus.  His dad moving out again, his grandmother, being a teenager with raging hormones - makes sense he is dealing with anxiety.  I am glad there is a good counselor at school. 

Very sorry for your loss.  It sounds as if she provided good support during the storm.

Sending a big hug!!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 03:40:44 PM by Shining Star »
H:56, I am 54
BD: March 2014, Left Sept 2014, Back Nov 2014
Left again in February 2015.  Asked for D on 9/22/15
Said he was "sure" he wanted a D in Dec 2015; 
Admitted long term affair - May 14, 2017 - says he is in love with the "symptom" but wants to build a relationship with me with "clear expectations" WHATEVER THAT MEANS!  Settlement Agreement signed 9/20/17.
Divorce final 3/14/18.
NC - by choice - 1/2018

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
This Too Shall Pass
#12: May 08, 2023, 06:03:46 PM
Wow, KIT.  I am just now reading your update.  Sending you and S16 lots of positive (((((vibes)))).  You two have got this!
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

S
This Too Shall Pass
#13: July 13, 2023, 08:53:04 AM
Hey KIT....just checking in on you and sending positive thoughts your way. Hope you are doing okay
Me 53
H 51
AD 22 from previous R
Known H since 1993
Together since 2000
BD 06/21/2017
OW High School Sweetheart lives 4 hrs away

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.