Skip to main content

Author Topic: Forum-Info Mentor and Moderator Duties

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
Forum-Info Mentor and Moderator Duties
OP: October 30, 2020, 03:45:16 PM
Below is the list of Mentor and Moderator Duties given to all Mentor Team members and kept on a thread on the Mentor Board. I'm posting it here so you know what is expected from your Mentor.

Mentoring is on a volunteer basis. OldPilot or I will post on [the Mentor Board] when someone has requested a mentor and we assign based on who volunteers. Mentorships last 6 weeks. We maintain a specific thread for mentor requests.

Mentor Duties
  • Introduce yourself to your mentees.
    You may do this by Personal Message or on their thread.
  • Be reasonably available to offer support and guidance.
  • Continue to check-in on them—either via their thread (and post) or by Personal Message if they are not posting.
  • Encourage them to continue to post to their story thread.
  • Be familiar with the site articles for referencing.
  • Direct them to resources on or off site and suggest other threads—such as another LBS with a similar situation.
  • Answer their questions—even if the answer is I don’t know.
    Even better, help them discover answers to their questions
  • Encourage Self-Protection—including seeking legal advice.
  • Encourage Self-Focus and Detachment.
    But recognize that they don’t want to hear that they aren’t detached over and over again—that is one of the biggest complaints.
  • Share your insights and experiences.
  • Validate.
  • Accept their process to recovery and help them to accept it.
  • Let them know of any restrictions for availability or contacting you
    So if you aren’t around the board on weekends, just let them know when you introduce yourself.
  • Check AND post/participate in the Mentor Board where we discuss board issues, those needing help, challenges...
    Checking in on the board regularly also lets me know you are still active as a Mentor.

Moderator Permissions
  • Merge threads
  • Edit for content—swear words, personal information.
    Add a note when you edit, giving the reason for making modifications.
    Ex.: Edited for carriage returns
  • Edit for carriage returns—sometimes OldPilot does this and it can be a great help.
  • Be alert for spammers.
    Then let me know and I can delete an account.
  • When possible add a link source when someone references an online article or pastes an excerpt.
    You can often find the precise online address by doing a Boolean search for a section of the article.
  • Greet newbies and encourage them to start a story thread if they have not done so.
  • Enforce The Code of Conduct and administer appropriate action according to The Enforcement Policy.
  • Personal names are not allowed as a display name. Just offer a gentle reminder on the story thread.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.