Skip to main content

Author Topic:  2 years in - feeling really panicked

2 years in - feeling really panicked
#10: October 23, 2023, 12:52:18 AM
I think your main post has been misfiled under Stories….perhaps one of the moderators can retrieve it and link it with this one?

I read your main post though which described your experience overall of the last couple of years and where you are now, which was helpful. I am very sorry that this has happened to you and I am very sorry that your observations suggest it is happening again.

I’m not sure I would call what you describe a flashback - which in my experience are something where past and present feels more entangled than you describe, a bit more out of body if that makes sense and more single frame than a series of movie frames. But it doesn’t really matter what one calls it…..it sounds as if something about it felt unsettling or confusing to you. Do you know why? What do you think is happening or causing it?

I was diagnosed with PTSD a couple of years post BD. I’m not alone here in that. So, yes, I have seen my brain do some strange stuff as it tried to make sense of things that made no sense to me. Bc of that I have learned to have respect for some of the ways our brains try to shuffle our mental cards, communicate basics and try to make us feel a bit better than we do in the moment. I learned with time to see it as a kind of neurological hiccup….what mattered was less the experience itself than what it told me about where my unconscious nervous system felt I was. It’s as if our system can feel things while we are busily trying to think the opposite….I suspect it is a kind of basic almost primeval alert system of red, yellow and green, the same bit of our hind brain that raises our metaphorical hackles with a feeling of unease about someone or brings nightmares that half make sense and half don’t.

So what do you think your own system is trying to communicate?
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#11: October 23, 2023, 01:05:05 AM
I pulled your original thread out of the Archives (how it got there is a mystery) and merged it with the "Flashback" thread so now all posts here under this thread....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#12: October 23, 2023, 05:33:25 AM
There is something called involuntary autobiographical memories. I don’t know much about it but remember stumbling over the term.. Here is an article with some basic information that might be useful to you:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/days-gone/202205/involuntary-memories-and-depression?amp

If you don’t have a therapist yet, might be a good idea to start working with one to sort through all of this. I was sad to see your use of the word “panic” in your thread title. That is no way to live, and you don’t have to live that way, even if you are trying to save your marriage.

Edit: I have flashbacks from diagnosed CPTSD (not caused by BD). It’s very very different than a memory. my body literally feels like it is back in the moment with all the same sensations, as if the past is happening right now. And I don’t necessarily see mental images of the past event - sometimes I cannot even connect the exact past event that is causing the flashback. I just feel the same terror, fear, panic, being trapped etc.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 05:39:44 AM by Nas »
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.