Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story “As much as you burn me, baby, I should be ashes by now.”

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Heart,

Most US banks and many others will  do an EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) at the request of the account owner. I know that Wells Fargo offers this service as I used that to pay my Student Loans and everything else. It is not an automatic debit (unless the account holder sets it up that way).

My question for you though is, if it is NOT automated, will you then end up having to chase him to pay? My guess is yes if he is as bad about finances as you say he is....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

L
HT, if he is paying thru the court system, I don't think you can legally accept a paper check. And, having it come thru the courts gives you more protection. They will go after him for you. All you have to do is complain. My xH was really late one month. I called the court and the money came in toute suite.
trying2bok

Listen to UM and Learning! This will be the beginning of more headaches for you. Ignore him. His problems are not your problems. <-- my mantra!!

His problems are his problems, not yours.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
I wouldn´t accept a paper check b/c it then becomes a "must be lost in the mail or delayed by the mail" excuse. With a preset automatic withdrawal there´s no room for error and YOU don´t run the risk of bouncing a payment (not that you would be in that boat, but you get what I mean about knowing your finances). If he does a wire transfer, there may be a wiring charge for that.
And even if you were willing to take a check, he´d have to send it by a certain date and keep track of his balance and still run the risk of an overdraft because you could cash it before he thought you would. A paper check is not going to save his financial patoot. Perhaps it is time for him to become responsible. He could think of it as a mortgage with a late fee penalty:)

Well, it does show that they are not sharing a bank account. Maybe ow figured out his MO in that arena.

Please go beyond protecting your address and insist on timely electronic transfers.

Hugs,
FTT
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

c
Hi HT,
I'm a little behind on your thread [I agree with the others by the way, not your problem].  Anyway just to say I still read your thread even if I have nothing to add.
We are about the same age and both working when we didn't expect to...but, I'm glad to be working in many ways; it means I'm still part of life you know?  I think it would be far more difficult and lonely to be home all the time.

Thanks for following along, Calamity. Yes, I never expected to be doing this kind of work again, especially at this age. But, for me too it has on the whole been positive. 

I have hesitated to discuss another part of my recent journey because I am doing fine & have great support from family, friends, & co-workers. After a routine mammogram this spring I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was small & caught early & does not appear to have spread. I had the necessary relatively minor surgery (lumpectomy is kind of an ugly word). Genetic testing on the tumor confirms that chemotherapy is not warranted, but I have begun radiation treatments to decrease the chances of recurrence later down the line.

One of my reasons for bringing this up on HS is to remind all of us once again, to be vigilant in self-care. Even years down the line, once all the crazy painful panicky angry depressed effects are winding down & you are “moving on” with your life in healthy & happy ways, stay vigilant.

Our LBS symptoms are so severe I often marveled at how healthy I remained, with hardly a cold, let alone more damaging physical effects. So it gave me a bit of a chill when my oncologist was talking with me & casually mentioned that this tumor “has probably been forming for 4-6 years”. Bomb drop was 5 ½ years ago.

Now, I have a pretty strong family history for cancer (although not breast cancer) & we all know the statistic that 1 out of 8 women will experience breast cancer in her lifetime. (Heart disease still kills more women though.) So, I’m not going to blame my H or his MLC. One can never know what environmental factors trigger crazy genetic mutations. The larger point is Take Care of Yourself. Keep Taking Care of Yourself. Keep up with a primary caregiver. Get those mammograms & then get the mani/pedi. Take your BP meds even if you feel fine. Return to counseling if you’re depressed. Call a friend or a suicide hotline if you have ANY thoughts of harming yourself.

We have all lived through one of the most traumatic events one can experience. This sort of stress has an effect. Somewhere. Some how. Some day. Perhaps in a way we least expect. Take care out there.

Hugs,
HT
Detach and Survive: A Book of Self-Care for the Wives of Midlife Crisis Men
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing, Susan Anderson
Healing the Shame that Binds You, John Bradshaw
The Addictive Personality, Craig Nakken
https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M'ed 41 years
BD-Jan 2013
Legally separated Feb 2013
D'ed without my consent July 2015
H M'ed OW Sept 2015

Hugs, HT! Yet more proof how strong you are (and how much more absurd it is for your MLCer to prod you to help HIM out at a time when he could be offering YOU support instead). I do believe the emotional turmoil we experience can manifest physically. I am very glad you are doing all of the proper self-care to continue your success story. :)

• When the world sends you lemons - make lemonade!
HT,

I have just caught up on your most recent interactions.  (I don't come here as often as I used to, either).

Great response on your part!  NO!  I would say that some people have all the nerve...but we are talking about an MLCer...and they have more than just that.

Sorry to hear about your recent health scare....it is good that it was caught and fixed.  Very strange to hear that it possibly started about the time of BD.  I remember (and don't remember) how I felt at that time!  How we all felt!  Our lives completely in upheaval....the shock, the overwhelming sadness.....It's amazing how many of us have been able to get to the other side...in one piece!

He expected you to say no....but he had been "told" to ask.  By whom, I wonder?   ::) ::)

Take care of yourself.....you did a great job of standing firm to your own needs.

Hugs,

L
M -62,  ExH - 69 (56 at BD)
M - 33 years (do the last 3 years count?)
D - 33, D -29, S - 29
BD 5/29/2010, Ran away from home - 8/15/2010,
Found out about affair - 2/11
H asks for divorce - 8/11
H filed for divorce 10/11
Announced "new" girlfriend 12/12 (3rd OW)
Divorce final 06/13 (I decided to finish it)
Dumped OW#3 9/15 (After 4 years)
Married OW#1 2019
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions For Newbies
The Mentor Program
Report Technical Problems

I'm sorry to read you had a big health scare, but glad to know you are doing well.

I too believe this terrible emotional experience can show physically.

But it is indeed impossible to know it your husband's MCL was the reason.

Big hugs.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.