Skip to main content

Author Topic: Interacting with Your MLCer Non-verbal communication / body language - how to improve

70% of communication is nonverbal: body language.  So either you aren’t paying attention to yourself and what your body is trying to tell you about your feelings on something or you are trying to people please.....

For me one possible reason is my body is in constant attack against itself.  Has been for 10+ years...  Apart of random days here and there, I really recall what "pain free"body really feels like. Most of the time it just sinks in the background as I get up and on the move.  But for example when I do mindfullness, I feel my body way too well.

Speaking of percentages....   W has an interesting claim, likely true... For her spoken words means WAY more than 7%... I guess it is possible. In the end I would assume the 55% body language - 38% tone - 7% spoken words rule is just very rough approximation.
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

C
Alvin,

I have been reading the Pete Walker Cptsd book....wether it applies or not is irrelevant....but he make a great point about the weight of our unfelt emotions being held in our bodies.
He encourages stretching for tension an stress, I have been and it helps...heck H is having me help him stretch every morning and every night because he is so tense.

I have been doing EFT (emotionally focused tapping) there is YouTube videos for each different emotion, I find that to be a good release for emotions I just can’t seem to clear.

And mindfulness, I am trying to find ways to incorporate it into my life over and over and over, that and grounding techniques....it keeps me focused on ME, and how I feel, and what I need, and my true self. I find when I am acting out of my true self as opposed to shame/ obligation/guilt /should’s and codependent tendencies my actions match my words....

The only way to not send mixed messages is to be in touch with yourself and then authentically be yourself and be true to your feelings and emotions.
Me 38
H 38
S17
Wallower/Chaos kid
EA discovered 3/31/2019
BD March 31 2019
He left 10/6/2020
Status: I’m done. Stbxh remorseful, texts and apologizes a lot, is in therapy and several treatment teams.
“God allows us to feel the frailty of human love so we’ll appreciate the strength of his.” C.S. Lewis

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.