Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Whiplash from clinging boomerang

M
My Story Whiplash from clinging boomerang
#40: April 11, 2024, 06:18:22 AM
I could read all about MLC and related topics with no issues, but couldn’t handle TV shows at all and was a lover of crafts and I could not do anything creative at all. It took 2 years before I could. For me, my brain was just so overwhelmed with the tragedy and confusion of it all. Just the basic “ I can’t even think straight” so wasn’t capable of anything normal for a while.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

H
  • Trial Subscriber
Whiplash from clinging boomerang
#41: April 15, 2024, 01:15:18 PM
I could read all about MLC and related topics with no issues, but couldn’t handle TV shows at all and was a lover of crafts and I could not do anything creative at all. It took 2 years before I could. For me, my brain was just so overwhelmed with the tragedy and confusion of it all. Just the basic “ I can’t even think straight” so wasn’t capable of anything normal for a while.

I do think part of my problem is the brain overload--both piano and crochet are new skills for me, but I can't push too hard on the learning.  I easily become frustrated when it is challenging.  I am learning, but taking it slowly.  I try to work on those things for like 10 minutes a day at least.  Maybe I need to rebuild my reading capacity also. 

More time spent at home. Like I've shared before, its hard when he's there so much.  He is at the house so much, and it is hard to say exactly what is changed, but when you've been around somebody for so long, you can pick up on a lot of changes in person even if you can't always put a finger on exactly what it is.  He seems much less angry than he was, and also less manic.  He isn't working out anymore (which he actually has worked out regularly pretty much our entire relationship).  He is spending a lot of time at the house scrolling on his phone, playing video games, or he will ask if I want to watch TV.  Spends lots of time there, but then will be gone for a night or two, and sometimes comes to the house and works from home in between.  He's sleeping a lot--like 9-10 hours a night and then will still take a nap.

A couple of things have happened.  One, there were pretty big layoffs at his work.  He kind of expressed to that it was stressful because people he had worked with for a long time got laid off.  I also, had a mishap with weights while I was working out and ended up with a bruise on my face (honestly I'm lucky that it's only a small bruise).  He has expressed concern that people are going to think he hit me-only like 10 people in my life have any idea what is going on with us.  He even texted me and asked if anybody asked me about it.  I think its really interesting because although it hasn't been physical abuse, I feel like what he has put me through has been worse.  What if everything he has done left a mark that showed on the outside?

I know that not everybody understands or supports standing for your marriage. From what I understand, many who are abused feel ashamed. I know that none of it is my fault, but I won't share what I am going through because many will make me feel ashamed for standing and not leaving.  I am not going to judge others for divorcing, but in my mind, when you say "For better or worse," people don't really mean it.  They mean for better or not so good, but they don't truly have any idea what "worse" can actually look like.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 01:23:05 PM by Happylight »
M-23y T24y
Me 47
H-49
S20,D16,D11
BD1 9-21 BD2 9-22 Atomic Bd3 & ILYBNILWY 2-23
Moved to RV 5/2023
OW Discovery 7/23
Touch and Gos since 6/23

R
#42: April 19, 2024, 03:09:06 AM
Happylight,

Two things you said resonated with me

What if everything he has done left a mark that showed on the outside?

I thought about this too and was so thankful that people couldn't see the damage from the outside. At least people who didn't know me couldn't tell (unless I was crying). I can see how some may find healing in expressing this in art or something like that. I had the image in my mind of him taking a flame thrower to me psychologically.

This also allowed me to have a tiny inkling of what people who are physically damaged by someone else have to go through since that damage is both visible and invisible. I can't even begin to imagine the pain of seeing and having such a reminder of the abuse with a physical manifestation. The Boston Marathon bombings happened during the early stages and my mind couldn't even comprehend being a runner and surviving the damage from that. I still can't imagine.

I know that not everybody understands or supports standing for your marriage.

Yes, I used to think, "throw them to the curb" when hearing about infidelity. I understand it is complicated and don't judge people for standing or divorce. I do advocate for LBS healing as paramount either way.

This is so hard, any way we look at it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 03:13:19 AM by Reinventing »

• Mentor
#43: April 20, 2024, 11:36:06 PM
I so wish there was a "Yeah, that^^^^" button. I also could read anything mlc, but a book? Nope. Short story even, nope. Creative, nope. Brain was stuck between overdrive (what happened, how to deal with it, getting a job, taking care of kids, etc) and exhaustion.  I didn't dream for many years that I could remember.

As to what other people say to you, they aren't living your life. You have to process this in your own way. People here will give you suggestions based on their own experience and a lot of us started out standing, then something happened to change that.  Some are still standing after years and years. The only thing most everyone here will tell you is to make sure you take care of yourself. You didn't cause this, you can't fix it. You can't nice him back. I had an 18 month live in and I stood until. My until was when he filed for divorce. At that point, for me, that marriage was done. If he ever came back, it'd be a different relationship. Everyone's mileage will vary. But mine started coming home late and leaving the front door unlocked or even open. That was a no go for me as I had children in the house so I told him home by midnight or the extra lock goes on. I was not putting our lives in danger. He only missed that one time because I locked him out, so he never missed "curfew " again. He could be as angry as he wanted, our safety came first.

But I sure got tired of people saying I should be "over it by now" whenever that now was. Sorry, Bucko, you don't get to tell me when I'm over it. Each of us gets to choose how we move forward with our life, and you can change your mind weekly, daily, hourly if you want.

Live ins are very hard. I joined meetups (coloring, ghost hunting and driving off road) because they didn't take any true brain processing power, but did take me away from reality for a short time. Just a suggestion.
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

H
  • Trial Subscriber
#44: April 22, 2024, 08:54:10 AM
Live ins are very hard. I joined meetups (coloring, ghost hunting and driving off road) because they didn't take any true brain processing power, but did take me away from reality for a short time. Just a suggestion.

I don't have a true live in.  He stayed for almost 3.5 months after bomb drop (I think he was waiting for a spot at the RV park to open up), then he didn't spend a night at the house for 4 months after he moved out (maybe once randomly), but then in September of 23 started spending a night or two a week.  The last two months he has spent around 4 nights a week at home, and comes over almost every day even when he doesn't stay.  As much as I hated when he was gone full time, it has been a different challenge for me to find my equilibrium with the back and forth.  Its hard on me, but he sees the kids more, and he is treating me well.  I have also noticed, that if somebody tells him or asks him to stay or come over when he is gone, he will usually use the excuse to come over--for example, my son asked him if he could move his motorcycle in the garage on a Saturday, so he ended up coming over and spending the night.  It's really frustrating because I keep thinking, well maybe he will just stay, and then he leaves again....
M-23y T24y
Me 47
H-49
S20,D16,D11
Moved to RV 5/2023
OW Discovery 7/23
Touch and Gos since 6/23

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#45: April 23, 2024, 12:21:19 AM
I have also noticed, that if somebody tells him or asks him to stay or come over when he is gone, he will usually use the excuse to come over--for example, my son asked him if he could move his motorcycle in the garage on a Saturday, so he ended up coming over and spending the night.  It's really frustrating because I keep thinking, well maybe he will just stay, and then he leaves again....

This is why face-huggers (see below) aka Clinging Boomrangs

can be so hard on our mental health and equilibrium..... Those pesky anticipations/expectations keep popping up..... and then we end up disappointed when things don't pan out. This is where it is so crucial (and so freaking difficult) to NOT have any expectations....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

H
  • Trial Subscriber
#46: April 29, 2024, 10:31:07 AM
Those pesky anticipations/expectations keep popping up..... and then we end up disappointed when things don't pan out. This is where it is so crucial (and so freaking difficult) to NOT have any expectations....

I literally tell myself over and over--he's going to leave, he's going to leave, but I guess that is an expectation as well.  I mentally can say, no expectations, but my emotions don't always play along. 

Its been a few weeks and the pattern has continued.  He has been spending at least 4 nights a week at the house, and even when he leaves he is usually there until 6 or 7 pm.  This weekend I again got some I love yous, and you are an amazing mother.  It will be kind of sporadic that he decides he feels very intensely about me.  I have seen that he feels drained and tired by the kids sometimes, but I haven't seen "monster" since around Thanksgiving.  I realized that I haven't gone over to the RV in over 6 months now.  I don't know if that has impacted his choices--knowing that I am not going to come to him. 

I have seen that he seems more engaged with the kids, and I wonder if he notices the tiny steps that they are taking in his direction--like my D17 going into his office to seek him out when she got back from her band trip, or my D12 asking him to change the hallway light bulbs outside her room (he was kind of amazed at how much reaction he got from her for doing this).  For months, they haven't asked things of him around the house or sought him out unless they absolutely had to. 

I am working hard on just keeping on with my life, but I do find I am tired.  It is hard that I can't ask for anything in terms of my emotional needs, and I usually only ask for support with tasks when I literally need to be in two places at once. 

Lately he has made more comments to me about how he needs to workout (he hasn't in about 4 months now), he's gaining weight, and he feels old. 

I have noticed so many tiny changes to habits that are interesting to observe:  changed back to whiskey as drink of choice (tequila had been in for about 18 months), switched back to white undershirts, music preferences leaning back toward more classic rock, switched back to lace-up boots for daily wear instead of wearing his motorcycle boots all the time, only is taking his bike out like once a week instead of multiple nights and weekend rides.  The biggest one for me is he just seems much less angry in general.  For a couple of years he was so angry and irrational and couldn't have rational discussions about topics.  I was aware of this, but thought it was just the MLC that people talked about, and that I would have to weather the storm.  I have watched the stuff about bomb drop and not really being multiple bombs drops etc.  I know that we have been in this turmoil for 2-2.5 years with multiple bomb drops, replay behavior for about 19-20 months, 15 months since he said he wanted to move out (when I realized MLC is really deep), and we are coming up on a year since he "moved out."  I put moved out in quotations, because he never really moved out...he just took the RV out of storage and started spending time there. 

This end of school year time is always so hectic.  I had promised myself I would stand at least through the end of the school year, and then reassess.  It seemed like such a long time when I set that goal.  The end of this month marks a year since he moved out, his 50th birthday, and the end of the school year.  We have seen definite progress, but I still don't know where we will end up.  I don't have any idea how to handle his birthday this year.  So many things I don't ask and don't say. I promised myself I wouldn't put him in a position to have to lie to me since I think it would just cause more damage.  I don't know that he is doing anything that he would have to lie to me about , but I don't know for sure, so I ask very few questions. 
M-23y T24y
Me 47
H-49
S20,D16,D11
Moved to RV 5/2023
OW Discovery 7/23
Touch and Gos since 6/23

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.