Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion MLC is not about marriage. But...

F
Discussion Re: MLC is not about marriage. But...
#20: December 31, 2019, 04:43:45 PM
That is tough to say because apparently my husband never communicated when he disagreed or wanted to do things a different way.  The deployment is what changed the relationship from good to bad.  He stopped letting me in no matter how hard I tried.  In time that created larger and larger issues, but technically his MLC probably started when he broke in Afghanistan.  He also has ptsd.
Married 23 years
Husband is 46
Me-42
4 kids 9-18 years old
BD-October 2018-ILYBNIL, wants a divorce, 2 OW at different times.
April 2019 He got an apartment and moved out.
Oct 2019-Apologized for a years worth of monster behavior.  Still wants to start divorce this Spring, is distant, but friendly.  Tries more with kids, but superficial.
2020-He has continued to help out when asked and be polite.  I do think he questions his choices at times.  I do not believe he has OW.
Oct 2020-He wants to get back together.  I am unsure. 
August 2021-.  He has shown very gradual, but consistent progress.  He moved back home.
December 2022-He has been home for 1 1/2 years reconnecting, in the room with me for several months. I now consider us reconciled.
October 2023-After two years home and being the man he should be, I finally fully let him back into my heart.

• Mentor
Re: MLC is not about marriage. But...
#21: December 31, 2019, 05:53:15 PM
My H also told me that he has PTSD, and that was what was going on when he started into the tunnel...

m
  • "You must do the thing you think you can not do."
#22: December 31, 2019, 05:58:45 PM
Interesting, sea...

But can anyone actually self-diagnose PTSD?  Might he just believe that he has that?

• Mentor
#23: December 31, 2019, 06:19:56 PM
He had decided to go to an IC because he wasn't sleeping, on his phone all the time, stomach pains, not interacting with family.  Suspected PTSD and he said his IC agreed. 
IDK if it was just depression/MLC or if it was truly PTSD.
He wouldn't share with me after that point.

I only thought it was odd because his deployment had ended over 10 years prior.
IDK that much if you can have PTSD occur that late, but I didn't question because I had no say...

Sea
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:20:59 PM by Seahorse »

F
#24: December 31, 2019, 06:36:23 PM
Aww Sea!  I guess were in it together!  Mego, mine is not self diagnosed either.
Married 23 years
Husband is 46
Me-42
4 kids 9-18 years old
BD-October 2018-ILYBNIL, wants a divorce, 2 OW at different times.
April 2019 He got an apartment and moved out.
Oct 2019-Apologized for a years worth of monster behavior.  Still wants to start divorce this Spring, is distant, but friendly.  Tries more with kids, but superficial.
2020-He has continued to help out when asked and be polite.  I do think he questions his choices at times.  I do not believe he has OW.
Oct 2020-He wants to get back together.  I am unsure. 
August 2021-.  He has shown very gradual, but consistent progress.  He moved back home.
December 2022-He has been home for 1 1/2 years reconnecting, in the room with me for several months. I now consider us reconciled.
October 2023-After two years home and being the man he should be, I finally fully let him back into my heart.

m
#25: December 31, 2019, 06:56:11 PM
Sea

I think PTSD can last indefinitely. 

Also - the IT is capable of diagnosing stuff.  Mine diagnosed bipolar (or at least told my doc, and she actually “diagnosed” it.)

• Mentor
#26: January 01, 2020, 12:45:08 AM

“Is my fractured marriage a fallout of MLC, or, was it a catalyst that helped launch MLC in my spouse?
I asked this all the time. My conclusion is that the fracture was caused in the pre BD wind up, the part where he checked out and didn't tell me. I even told him, "I feel like I'm in this marriage alone, and no matter what I do, it isn't right. What is it you need from me?" And he gas lighted me and said he was totally engaged in the marriage and there was nothing I could do better.

Was he lying? Maybe. He later told me he was lying and that he really had checked out. But was that due to MLC ? Or did he just check out and forget to tell me because he didn't want to be married to me? Who can know since he continually lied and changed his stories.

The question I like to work with is "Had I known he had checked out all those years prior to BD, would I have been the one to walk away?  Why or why not?" And knowing what the behavior looks like (now), would I ever tolerate it again? 
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

• Mentor
#27: January 01, 2020, 06:34:02 AM
Off Road -
That's a good way to look at it --  I think we've all learned so much and are probably much less tolerant of the behaviors we might have once tolerated.

I was thinking about Acorn's question in bed this morning...

“Is my fractured marriage a fallout of MLC, or, was it a catalyst that helped launch MLC in my spouse?

Does it really matter?...
Just one more thing to worry about??
Because --  if we've done the work, on ourselves, then that would help make our future relationships stronger, either way.
Maybe looking at the cause/effect only allows us focus on the wrong things (our H and/our marriage)?
As it's been said before - it's not about the MLC or our H - it's about how we take this opportunity to grow and change...
It takes two in a marriage, and if those two are not working together, regardless of the reason, it can't be a healthy relationship.

Does that make sense?

Sea

m
#28: January 01, 2020, 07:19:57 AM
I was diagnosed with PTSD by my therapist. 

There are a host of things that may have caused it, although BD certainly didn’t help (?!)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:55:30 AM by megogirl »

N
  • MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
#29: January 01, 2020, 08:40:56 AM
Does it really matter?...
Just one more thing to worry about??
Because --  if we've done the work, on ourselves, then that would help make our future relationships stronger, either way.

If we weren't the cause of the MLC, then why should we have to "do the work on ourselves"?

Am I the only one that sees the "work on yourself" mantra as one that encourages people to blame themselves and find fault with oneself? I see "working on yourself" as just one more thing to worry about that isn't necessarily valid.

As I understood Acorn's original post, she is concerned about people who are making decisions about their future based on the assumption their spouses are the cause of the marital breakdown, when they may actually be the cause themselves. In that case, if someone is standing expecting their spouse to come back, they may be wasting their time.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:43:17 AM by Not Your Monkey »

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.