Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story My new Normal 5.0

• Mentor
My Story My new Normal 5.0
#20: July 14, 2021, 03:21:06 PM
And Roo, you are doing FABULOUS. Please don't think I am second guessing you. I somehow think if I can listen to enough perspectives, I could make better decisions in general based on having enough information about how someone who is not me might be thinking.
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

• MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
My new Normal 5.0
#21: July 14, 2021, 05:52:39 PM
Thank you Ready and Off Road.

Off Road, no offense taken what so ever.  That’s why we are here to look at situations and see what works for us. 

Ready everything you say is true.  Add in alcohol, and workaholic and you have described my H to a T for the last 5 years.  I hope he can work through it all.  I really do.  He seems to be suffering.  He has a good therapist so that does help. 

Onward and detached I go.  At his family reunion as we speak.  I love his family and they love me.  We had a silent car ride here, had some hiccups before we left.  Not going to let it ruin my fun. 

Forward! 

Roo
Husband 58
Me 58
Kids 3 sons 33, 30, 28 1 daughter 24
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017
married 36years.  Together 38
H never moved out except 3 weeks after BD #1
OW 30 year single mom employee-PA

My new Normal 5.0
#22: October 26, 2021, 09:57:27 AM
Thought I would drop in for an update.  Seems like some of the 5 plus year members are doing the same.  It’s fascinating to see the different paths reconnection can take and the choices that come along with it.  A common theme seems to be that the MLC struggle does not end with reconnection.  For me it has taken on a new problem, how to put a marriage together when both of us have changed.  In my case, I’m finding that I have changed more than my H.  This is where we are right now.  My H wants our marriage back, wants the old Roo back, wants the life we had back.  For me I feel like I made our old life function by giving and giving, making thing OK when they weren’t.  Making our kids, my husband, and our company a priority over me.  In the end MLC hit and all the pieces of my very codependent puzzle came apart.  My giving did not stop MLC, my attempts to fix my broken H did not stop him from doing his damage, my attempts to control the situation were futile.  I’m seeing all of this now and digging deep into myself.  Not an easy task to do. 

Things for me really started to change about a month ago.  My D 21 was moving back to school after being here all summer, my S 26 was in full wedding planning for a wedding that took place last weekend, My parents were in the middle of a huge struggle with my Dad’s bi polar.  And our company was going through a major tailspin as 3 key people put in their resignations.  My H was a mess.  All of these things formed a major breakdown for me.  I dropped my D off at school after a 4 hour drive.  My S 26 was calling me about helping him solve wedding problems, my sisters were calling me to help solve parent problems and then my H called me with company problems.   I came home from the move and sat down on the floor and cried.  Not just cried, broke down.  Full on break down that I have not experienced since BD #1.  My h called during this breakdown and was so freaked out by it all he came home.  I really thought I was going to have to be taken away.  I could not for the life of me stop all the emotion from flooding out.  I made myself into a ball on the floor of my dark bedroom and this is where my H found me.  He sat down beside me and said he didn’t know what to do.  Everything I have faced in the last 5 years came spilling out of me, everything.  All of the pain all of the anguish, all of it. He didn’t run, he didn’t move, he didn’t say “you are making me feel bad with your feelings” he sat and listened.  For the first time in almost 6 years, he listened and took it in.  He said quietly “look what I have done to you, I’m sorry.”  I told him it wasn’t all him.  We sat for maybe an hour in silence.   

The next day I gathered my pug (Gertrude the MLC dog) and decided to drive to my parents 12 hours away.  My mom needed a break, and I went to stay with my Dad.  My H was scared for me to leave as he felt like I wasn’t in a good state.  It was just the thing I needed.  A long car ride with a pug.  I had downloaded several books awhile ago. And decided to listen to the book Codependent No More by Melody Beattie.  As I drove along and listened, I started to feel like the author was talking to me.  Everything in this book related to me.  Everything.  The more I listened the more I could see just how much I was depending on other people making me feel value.  How much damage giving constantly can cause.  How much my voice had become diminished because I wanted to keep the peace.  I came to the realization that things were not going my way because of me and only me.  It was definitely an Oprah “Ah Ha” moment.   I stayed a few days with my dad and then listened to the book again the whole 12 hours back.  It all started to make perfect sense to me.  I am the only one who can control me.  I am the only one who is responsible for my own happiness.   I started to come out of my codependent tunnel and am working on not going back. 

I’ve read so many times about how both partners have to go through MLC and all it carries with it.  I kind of pushed this aside thinking “Yeah but, my H is the one with the real problem” Never realizing our whole relationship had issues that needed to be solved long before MLC hit.  And yes, I had issues as well (Gulp).   It is a two way street.  We both seem to be working towards healing on our own. 

My H is continuing his weekly therapy which seems to be helping.  I see and hear changes all the time.  He is settling down and growing up.  All of his compartmentalized boxes he sealed tight are slowly opening.  Emotions and empathy come out when I’m least expecting them to.  Sometimes he looks at me like he hasn’t seen me in 4 years.  Sometimes I get an apology when I’m least expecting it.  He is changing in a good way.  I think he is starting to realize as well that we can’t go back to our old marriage.  I am hoping we get something new from all of this.  I am hoping we both continue to make the choice to stick it out while it forms.  We both still have a lot of work to do.  We do know we love each other and have a 36 year history together.   It may not end up how I imagined it, maybe it will be better as we each become better people. 

On a side note.  My S 26 got married last weekend almost 6 years from when my S 28 got married.  It was interesting to note how different I was at these two weddings.  At S28 wedding, I was starting to suspect my H was having an affair.  I had lost 10 pounds that I couldn’t afford to lose.  In the pictures there is a look of fear, anxiety, and sadness in my eyes.  My H had just started his step into the fog.  I had no idea that what lay ahead.  We just got the pictures back from last weekend and I am so proud of how I look.  I look happy, strong, and confident.  My sister told me I looked like a warrior.  I kind of felt like one.  I’m stronger mentally, physically and spiritually than I have ever been.  S30 just got engaged and is planning a wedding next fall. (All fall weddings for some reason) It will be interesting to see where I am at that time.  No matter where I am, I do know that I am going to be ok. 

As a fixer in recovery, I hope all you other fixers out there find your way.  My horoscope the other day was so easy but so fitting, it read “They are not appliances, you cannot fix them”   :)

Wishing you all the best as you navigate through this life changing time.   
Husband 58
Me 58
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017

C
My new Normal 5.0
#23: October 26, 2021, 12:12:40 PM
Wow, Roo. What an incredible update. I have thought of the LBS journey as a mostly gradual process; not always smooth, but usually spared from the massive ups and downs of the MLC roller coaster… at least, once we manage to detach. But more and more, it seems like reconnection stories include these moments of realization of the scope of the changes that will need to occur - whether the necessary changes are in one or both people. And as scary as the initial BD and detachment are, the wanting to reattach and reconnect while not knowing how to proceed… that seems like a whole different kind of uncertainty.

My new Normal 5.0
#24: October 28, 2021, 05:09:41 PM
Well, Didn't think I would update so soon but I'm back with a major movement.   Right after I posted on here, I got the results back from my annual exam and pap smear.  I tested positive for HPV.  I was shocked to say the least.  We have spent the last year dealing with my niece who found out she had cervical cancer while pregnant.  She has HPV.  So HPV in our house is big and scary.  Believe me it has been a wake up call. (I just found out more results and it is good news no cancerous cells and it will just be watched with yearly paps)   My H who has never admitted more than an emotional affair and inappropriate behavior now has confessed the year long affair with OW1 it ended 4 years ago.  Not shocking to me what so ever.  I knew from the beginning this was the case.  He decided to handle it by not handling it and pretending it didn't happen.  He is no longer able to do that.  We have entered new waters and he is facing head on the damage that his actions have now had on me.  He is beside himself and I am calm.  I have done all the work processing the affair for the last 6 years he now has to do the same.  He is taking complete responsibility and will do anything or answer any question I have.  We have talked for 2 days about everything that has happened the last 6 years.  He talks about being in a "Fog"  he talks about not even thinking about me or our family.  He talks about the fact that he has done the unimaginable to me and I am the last person in the world who deserved any of this.  I told him he is right.  Now I get to deal with the results of what he has done. 

I have this very strange feeling of calm.  Acceptance?  The truth setting me free?  I've done all the hard work dealing with the aftermath of betrayal.  He has much to do.  He says he doesn't know what to do and my response is you continue to fix yourself, which he has been doing fairly diligently the last 6 months.  He talks about his actions impacting so many people.  He has kept it hidden from himself because the pain would be too great.  There is no hiding now, he knows that.  There is no taking back anything he has done, there is no making it ok.  There are no more excuses.  We will see where this takes him now.  He is stripped down to his core and needs to rebuild. 

I'm pulling this quote over from Barbies thread from Off Road

I kind of liken it to "I can't admit to all I have done because then you will know how defective I am or think I am and I will see reflected in your eyes the reality of what my actions have caused, which will make me feel horrible and I don't want to feel that way, so admitting anything to you makes me feel unsafe in my own skin."

My H said this to me almost word for word last night.  He thought he could keep it all hidden.   It's out in the open now and no putting it back. 

I am ok and moving forward.  He has a mountain to climb to forgive himself.  He finally wants to start. 

Just a public service announcement for the women on this site.  Get your Pap Smears regularly.  HPV can remain dormant for up to 10-12 years.  It is silent and it can be deadly. 

Forward because backwards is no longer an option for me. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:50:48 AM by UrsaMajor »
Husband 58
Me 58
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017

My new Normal 5.0
#25: October 28, 2021, 10:45:17 PM
I am so very sorry, Roo.
Pleased to hear that the latest test showed no cancerous cells, but still I am so sorry.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

My new Normal 5.0
#26: October 29, 2021, 06:09:48 AM
Thank you Tresaur,  I appreciate your words. 

I have come to realize that in reconnection we were missing a big piece of the puzzle.  I see it in Barbie’s thread as well.  If the MLCer does not fully take responsibility and forgive themselves they get stuck in a big way.  To deny what happened, to not address what brought them to that point and to shove it all under the rug hoping it won’t come out created a roadblock in my case.  I’m hoping this all starts to clear the path for a new life now.  I do feel a difference.

I watched a lot of these affair recovery videos when I was going through the processing of the affair on my own years ago.  I found these two and sent them to my H who sat and watched them last night on his own.  (I’m not fixing here, I mentioned them in one of our talks and he asked for them….trying to stay a fixer in recovery🙂)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7vVYmDljGyU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkRdVrhA_6s

He has counseling today and mentioned he has a lot to talk about.  He is doing the work he needs to do and I am doing the work I need to do as well.  Life feels calmer, more mature and empathy is once again flowing from each of us.   

It kind of feels like we have both been through he!! and there might be some light.  Reconnection is no fairy tale.  It’s hard work.  All of MLC is hard work.

Wishing all of you peace as you navigate through it.
Husband 58
Me 58
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017

C
My new Normal 5.0
#27: October 29, 2021, 08:47:34 AM
I am sorry that you are in the position of dealing with this. You seem to be calm and strong, moving forward with what you need to do and not in denial.

The point about how reconnection can’t really move forward until the MLCer takes responsibility and forgives himself or herself - that really makes sense. That’s the biggest reason that I have to doubt that we are meaningfully reconnecting in my marriage… I don’t know if she has done both of these things, or if she hasn’t forgiven herself because she hasn’t accepted responsibility for the damage she caused.

I don’t think there’s anything so wrong with being a fixer that you should try to completely suppress that tendency… in moderation, it can be more of a supportive, caretaker tendency. As long as we let the other person lead the way, I think it can be a good thing. Or maybe that’s my bias as a fellow fixer.

My new Normal 5.0
#28: October 29, 2021, 11:11:30 AM
Thanks Curiosity!

I don’t think there’s anything so wrong with being a fixer that you should try to completely suppress that tendency… in moderation, it can be more of a supportive, caretaker tendency. As long as we let the other person lead the way, I think it can be a good thing. Or maybe that’s my bias as a fellow fixer.

I agree.  Fixing and caretaking is part of who I am.  As long as I am aware that I do these things because I want to, not for others to validate me or for me to control the situation,  I think they are a good thing. 

Husband 58
Me 58
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017

• Mentor
My new Normal 5.0
#29: October 30, 2021, 11:42:21 AM
I would like to caution that fixing other people's issues can deny them their own opportunities for growth if you are not careful. In Roo's case here, if he asked, she sent. That is not fixing. However, if one party makes all the IC appointments for the other person,  that is not requiring them to be their own adult and could be looked at as fixing someone's inability to do adult things.

There is nothing wrong with doing caring things (example: bringing a snack for another when you are getting one for yourself). That is different from doing things because the other person will not or is inapable and does not try to solve their own issues.

It sounds like your H is beginning to understand he needs to fix himself, roo. That sounds good.
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.