Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 7

Discussion Re: Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 7
#30: September 29, 2018, 03:07:26 PM
Thank you 31. In my case, there may be more added stess, mostly of the normal kind, because of so many years dealing with grandmother.

It may never go away, but mine is much better. I also don't take as much to recover. But certain things, like someone being harsher, that I didn't use to have a problem with, now make my body react.

Of course it is the body remembering Monster.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

M
Re: Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 7
#31: September 30, 2018, 08:30:08 PM
There has been some discussion recently on this thread and on other threads about PTSD. I've been following them because I'm being treated for PTSD related to BD and also for complex PTSD related to childhood trauma.

The therapist I'm seeing specializes in treating trauma and dissociative disorders and she teaches courses in trauma therapy at a large area university. She also teaches Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). She has told me several times that MBSR is helpful for people with my issues; PTSD, complex PTSD, abandonment issues, attachment disorder, anxiety, and depression. I've considered attending one of her MBSR courses but it takes me 90 minutes just to drive from my home to her office. It's hard to make the trip every other week so I don't think I could manage to attend one of her twice a week MBSR courses.

I enjoy taking online video courses through the Udemy website. You have to pay for most of the courses, and I've paid for my share of them, but they do have some free courses that are very good. I just started a free course through Udemy called Learn Mindfulness Meditation for a Calmer and Clearer Mind.

I just started the course so I can't tell you too much about it, but it seems pretty good so far. Udemy reports 19,941 enrolled students and 251 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5. The course includes 3 hours of video lessons and 7 hours of guided audio meditations. The course is based on the standard 8 week MBSR course that my therapist teaches but also includes some supplementary material. In addition to watching the weekly videos and doing the twice daily audio meditations the instructor recommends keeping a daily journal. The course also has a website for additional information and a FB page for course related discussions.

In one of the first videos the course instructor states that he had lived a typical, happy life until about 7 years ago when his marriage fell apart, he lost his job, and he had a "spectacular midlife crisis". Can you imagine the look on my face when I watched this? He said that he eventually attended an 8 week MBSR course and it saved his life and turned him around. He became an MBSR instructor and created this course so that he can freely share with the world this program that helped him so much.

Once again, this is a free course, so I thought I would post about it here in case anyone is interested in it. If there is enough interest, maybe a group of LBSes might like to take the course together and maybe share about it and support each other on this forum.

The course can be found at

https://www.udemy.com/mindfulness-stress-reduction/

#32: October 01, 2018, 03:19:01 PM
Thanks for the link, Brain. I enrolled, but the lectures made me sleepy. I will use the PDFs.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

b
  • Mentor
#33: October 03, 2018, 07:29:02 PM
I am going to enroll ..thanks for the information . I will try anything  ( I too have PTSD , attachment disorder , anxiety et). Thanks for the info!
Married April 1985
5 children
Bomb Drop April 2013
Thrown out of house August 2013
Affair discovered November 2013 (i guessed who)
Home December 3 2013
The Journey Of Reconciliation .. is for the brave .

Anger is like a candle in the wind ... it blows out the light of all reason.

M
#34: October 03, 2018, 08:22:31 PM
Barbie, I hope it helps you. My trauma therapist is pretty positive about MBSR.

#35: October 07, 2018, 06:12:03 AM
I really don't think even now that my h was a narcissist as it is described here, but I do think with MLC, they all become jaw-droppingly narcisstic....some of the communication examples shown her look pretty familiar http://www.thriveafterabuse.com/word-salad-narc-speak/...and the author echoes what we all say about detachment and minimal contact.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

#36: October 12, 2018, 05:14:55 AM
thanks brain!

I've done some udemy courses before and have found they help!

(hugs)
Hurting people hurt people :(

K
#37: October 14, 2018, 06:02:03 AM
Hello,
I wanted to share this with you because in a strange way it helped me understand a bit of themlcer, in a vey simple way. Sorry i don't know how to paste but if someone could i would appreciate it.  its a song by Gordon lightfoot. "if you could read my mind love" .I was cleaning , listening to the radio. this song came on and it captured me. to me it sounds as though this guy really wants to be with his love but just can't find the feelings he once had and just is very confused as to Why?  total mlc song

K
#38: October 14, 2018, 06:07:40 AM
he sounds so broken hearted that this happened to him

• Mentor
#39: October 14, 2018, 06:22:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QgqkY4YJQ8

Here you go, KB. 

Good lyrics, but sad.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.