Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story One week after papers come through MLC wants to talk

H
  • Trial Subscriber

As of now, you have to protect your interest and the interest of your children as if literally anything could happen. If you have one certified copy of your marriage license, and if copies are not accepted in divorce filings where you live, it is in your best interest to be the one in possession of it, and to keep it safe, I would put it in the possession of your lawyer. He has blown up your world and has proven that he has no one‘s interest at heart but his own. Obviously your lawyer is the best source for advice on this, but from experience, you would be doing yourself a big favor by holding onto that document until your financial security is legally settled.

I have got two certified copies but I’ll give him one of those and then keep the original. Thankyou for that little nugget of info - I know this is for the best I guess you just hope they come to their senses and become the person you were with for so long.

But bottom line is he ended our marriage via text, and requested divorce via text, never communicated anything was wrong, left me whilst pregnant, then blames me for not feeling secure enough to have him at the birth for the bond he has with the baby, didn’t take care of me at all post partum, has left me all on my own to deal with a newborn and two other small children one of which has additional needs. And is struggling so much with everything but H wants to continue to do what he wants to do (introducing her to them) even if the eldest boy is in tumoil.. I have to remember that the OW/AP is a magician and won’t magically save him - I tried for 15 years because I felt bad for his childhood wounds - not any more look where it got me. His loyalty to me was up the shoot so I’m sure it won’t be long until she is feeling the same…
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 03:04:51 AM by UrsaMajor »

Be guided by your lawyer but I’d be loath to let him have the original too. Legally speaking, it’s the only proof that you were married.

On the drip drip timescale thing? Well, these folks lie. A lot. My money would be that ow was in the mix much earlier than he has said. And if not? Then both he and she are as stupid as each other and behaving like not very bright teenagers. But my best bet is he is lying, sorry. Bc that’s the textbook play and once you get your eye in, there’s a lot of predictability to the BS and WTF stuff tbh.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

K
Regarding the timescale. It could be either really. Yes, they lie (their shame) (or because they can - and who knows why?) and yes, they do jump into things like a pimply teenager. My H is on the Pimple Express from what I can tell - moved in, went on holiday (twice), intro to family, all in 5 months. All on FB, which he never used before - it's like if FB was available in the 80s :)  BUT, I know the OW had the plough out, planting seeds, for much longer. Such people see opportunity. I don't wish to be unkind to anyone, but there is a certain type who consciously or unconsciously targets vulnerability. I am not letting your H (or mine) off the hook, they have made their choices, and I don't think I could top what Treasur has said about the behaviour of your H, but the other person, they seek a dark opportunity, that I know I would go nowhere near. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter that much to you. The effect is still the same. I think I know why it seems relevant. I was there too. The madder the behaviour the more certified MLC. But in the end, it's exhausting and truly detrimental to a person's health.

I hope the meeting with the solicitor goes well today. You will be thrown a lot of info.  A friend on mine used to work for Relate in the UK. She is someone with the strongest values, and she rates them a lot. They can help individuals, especially when sudden single parents.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 12:37:00 AM by KayDee »

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter that much to you. The effect is still the same. I think I know why it seems relevant. I was there too. The madder the behaviour the more certified MLC. But in the end, it's exhausting and truly detrimental to a person's health.

KayDee makes a wise point here that imho applies to more than just those ‘why ow’ questions and is useful as a guard rail to consider for all folks new to this.
It’s a perfectly normal response to shock and confusion to dive into bits of the picture to try to make sense of it. It’s what our brains are wired to do….look for confirmation or try to squeeze stuff into a pattern that makes a bit of sense. And to get a bit lost in the detail….like standing very close up to one of those impressionist paintings. I did too. And yes, it was quite damaging to my mental wellbeing.

With hindsight, I think though the more useful vista is from a bit further back…..the pixels become a picture then, dots become a water lily.

I recently watched a Netflix documentary called ‘Bad Vegan’. Without getting into the detail of the story, what struck me is that there was a point early on when the players did not ask themselves some pretty basic big picture questions. Instead they were almost distracted by the detail of a moment……putting a lot of energy into wiring x amount of money or not, say, rather than the bigger question of not being able to meet the payroll. And imho that’s how gaslighting works….theres a lot of don’t look at this, look at that going on. Again, with hindsight, I think we LBS can almost self-gaslight for a little while. An ‘oooh, he/she replied to my text quickly’ as opposed to ‘he/she has left the family home and cleaned out the savings account’. A couple of the  players said in the documentary that there was a point when they could not admit certain truths to themselves at the time bc it would have required them to accept that they had already lost a huge amount….and that was too painful or scary….so they stayed looped into a kind of sunk cost fallacy where if they ‘kept going’ they might get some of it back or it would all work out ok in the end. I recognise that thinking in myself in the first year or so, maybe a bit more, post BD. And I say that as someone professionally trained in analysis and deductive logic - not my finest hours lol.

Imho you are wise, and sane, Hollie, to keep your lens focused on all the big picture list of your h’s actions or inactions that you wrote. Bc those are factual observable things and can be a great bit of ground to stand on mentally when/if you feel nuts. Those kind of facts help us feel we can safely trust our own judgement and sense of reality. And part of that imho is the ability to filter what really matters, what is germane to our own actions and decisions and what is not. Again jmo, but a lot of MLC type drama is not as germane to us as it feels at the time.

So, in my case, what did matter was that I was receiving anonymous death threats….who was sending them or why or what they were trying to achieve by doing so or what anyone else thought about that really mattered much less than the reality that I was getting them. And that they had a big effect on my mental health and life. Which meant that my priority was to feel safer, and therefore to take actions, whatever they needed to be and whatever anyone else thought about those actions. Again, in my case, realising that my stbxh had stolen money from our joint resources mattered more in my decision making than if he had spent it on a new car or on an exotic vacation or given it to ow to spend at Cartier. My actions needed to be based on the fact that he had stolen from me, not why he had done it or how he justified it. Ditto ow….i knew there was an ow involved and I knew my then h had lied about a lot of things….right up to the divorce being final, bizarrely iirc even afterwards, he continued to deny her existence and then her significance to his lawyer, my lawyer and me. (I found out later even more bizarrely that in parallel he/she were planning their wedding…to someone who did not exist/was just a friend/nothing to see here lol). But actually that did not matter….what really mattered was that my h had left me, stolen from me, refused to talk to me pretty much and was consistently refusing to engage with any of the practical effects of that choice. The fact that I didn’t understand why, my speculation about whether ow was a delightful person ha ha or more likely not, or if he had been seeing her while my father was dying, even the fact that he was under psychiatric care, did not change the observable bigger picture. He left, he wasn’t talking to me, he lied so much it was impossible to place any weight on his words. That was the water lily. I took a long long time to swallow that, well sunk costs, probably did it in small chunks looking back, but finding the capacity to see the germane trees from the distracting wood was really important. S&itty but important.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

H
  • Trial Subscriber
Guys. Thankyou both of these were just what I needed this am. My intuition is strong and has been feeling a certain way for a while which I have ignored - I understand this am after the devastation of yesterday why he is now onto the next thing - as that is how it has felt all the way along one bomb thrown after another.

If I leave I’ll feel better
When I buy a new car I’ll feel better
When I can spend my money on me and what I want I’ll feel better
When I meet someone else and date I’ll feel better
When I move in with said person I’ll feel better
When I can start having my kids overnight at hers I’ll feel better
When I can have family days out with her I’ll feel better
When I am divorced I’ll feel better and less guilt
When I am divorced I won’t feel bad for moving on quickly and she (ow) will feel more secure and stop questioning me and where I am/ what I am doing
When I am divorced I can finally move on with my life…

But I will always be there in the back of his mind - chipping away the fact he abandoned all of us when we needed him
The most especially little one. I had every right to deny him the opportunity of seeing his child born when he did what he did abandoned me emotionally, I however did say he could meet him as soon as he was born - he CHOSE to not do that because if he wasn’t good enough for the birth he wasn’t good enough for much else - that is HIM trying to manipulate me and make me feel bad for his $h!te decisions. I didn’t impact the bond he had HE DID. And if he’s telling her BS the truth will out one day. She is silly to think that if he owed his partner of 15 years and 3 children no loyalty when leaving.. he will not do the same for her.

Treasur you are so right.

He left me pregnant and vulnerable
I have a heart condition aswell as suffer terribly with morning sickness all through pregnancy
I had to navigate pregnancy, maternity and single motherhood and post partum all on my own
He stole money from me which I raised for charity.. it had to of gone somewhere..
He ended our marriage by text
He STILL hasn’t say me down and have a face to face convo
His Crocodile tears mean nothing - he has no idea of my reality!
The man I married would never of done this
His family have enabled all his behaviour and not made him accountable just swept everything under the carpet - so are no longer important in my life!

I know my truth, I  know who I am,  and I think I was a bloody angel, who is emotionally stable and literate and can communicate how I feel and show people all of me… he however pretends to be who you need him to be, then gets mad and say you changed when your merely reflecting his behaviour and the way he has been treating you back at him. As they say holding up the mirror it’s easier to run.

Thankyiu so much for your support I am the only person in my circle that has experienced this so to have you guys here for me makes all the difference.

H
  • Trial Subscriber
I’m not sure if I’m doing all this right - link to previous thread above I can never seem to find my original posts to carry on posting with.

So as the above says MLCer asked for marriage certificate so divorce can start - but when I gave it to him he seemed surprised. He threatened divorce after I implemented a boundary where when I was out he didn’t need to be there for the kids when I got back if I was unsure of the time someone else would take over - he didn’t like this much.

He is very keen to know my plans with the kids on my weekends and asks what we are often doing when seeing him.

Wednesdays during his contact he still comes into the house especially as we have the baby - he seems so comfortable - sits in the same place he used to - last night ordered me food and we all ate together… managed my son who has difficulties together - and said well done for the teamwork - I decorated the kids room over the weekend on my own. And he said how well I’ve done - he often cries when Holding the baby..?

This weekend he had the kids (apart from baby) at his new place with the gf overnight for the first time in 10 months (although he maintains that they not living together yet) he should of been over the moon but still seemed unhappy..? He said Monday it was so quiet.. he hated it…? Yet he is still chasing that life..? I am so confused - I know they are too I just find it hard to not try and make sense of things.

Last night he laughed at my jokes - I’m just trying to be as normal as possible not scorned I haven’t been mean to him at any point just let him do his thing..

So after this I then get smacked with the reality that he is going home to his gf and sharing a bed with her.. and times like this make me feel like we could rekindle but then at the same time so much damage has been done. In my gut I don’t feel like it’s over.. it’s been 10 months am I still in denial?

I find the lack of real reasons as to why we are here hard to contend with as our marriage was far from awful - it was a marriage which like everyone else’s needs work from
Time to time..

I’ve looked into dating and I just can’t I still feel like I’m
Being disloyal.. how mad is that!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 05:17:30 AM by UrsaMajor »

No, imho fwiw, you are adjusting to a new painful situation that doesn’t make sense to you, you didn’t plan for and didn’t want. That takes a little time, sometimes a bit longer than we think it might. And of course you don’t feel like dating…..and if you did, we’d probably be encouraging you to take your time particularly as you have such young children and are still married. Basically, to do the opposite of what MLC folks seem to do  :)

What do you think his words are communicating?
What do you think his actions are communicating?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 03:13:09 AM by Treasur »

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
I've merged this thread with your previous one. If you were able to link the old thread in, you were on your old thread. Just hit "Reply" after the last post to start a new one on the same thread
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

H
  • Trial Subscriber
I've merged this thread with your previous one. If you were able to link the old thread in, you were on your old thread. Just hit "Reply" after the last post to start a new one on the same thread

Thankyou so wasn’t sure whether to do that

H
  • Trial Subscriber
What do you think his words are communicating?
What do you think his actions are communicating?

I really don’t know - I feel like his words are communicating everything he feels he should be doing - he has left me and the kids, for over 10 months - if I put a boundary in he tries to hurt me by doing/saying something he knows will hurt.. threatening divorce but still not doing anything about it..

But his actions are like he still loves us all and for whatever reason he is leading a double life - I think the OW threatened to tell me about the affair (he never confirmed it said they got together after) and he now feels stuck - without her he hasn’t got anywhere to live (his parents) who apparently won’t have the kids stay there.. he’s racked up so much debt which I helped him clear once (he doesn’t know I know this) I don’t know it’s just ODD..

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.