Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Sometimes the finish line is just the start of somethin' new

R
I was smiling the whole time reading your experience in your first year of college, Ursa, especially when partnered with a classical antiquities major the semester you turned your attention to academics. That must have made for some fun conversations!

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
I was smiling the whole time reading your experience in your first year of college, Ursa, especially when partnered with a classical antiquities major the semester you turned your attention to academics. That must have made for some fun conversations!

And weekends in D & D tournaments instead of drinking contests
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
Reinventing & UrsaMajor - You both have me laughing. Fun conversations, indeed with someone in classical antiquities indeed. As for D & D tournaments, not my thing, but then nor were drinking contests - might be why I found myself working long hours in the studios.

FB has a way of bringing up memories. Most of the time, I laugh or smile, but don't really spend a great deal of time sharing such things. In fact, I really don't spend a whole lot of time sharing or even looking at FB. I often do a quick browse to see if a couple of people, such as a couple of my nieces who travel extensively have posted any photos of their travels. Beyond that, I try to limit myself and not get sucked in for hours on end. This morning a memory popped up that would have at one point in time set me off into a major upset and it would have been days of recovering from a trigger. It is not upsetting me at all, and in fact I am really just shaking my head and wondering…

How did I even make it through to the other side of this MLC nonsense? How did I make it through that evening even - because somehow I didn't let on or managed to put on a good facade? Did the people we were with have an inkling at that point that something was so incredibly off with Xh?

The memory was from 9 years ago today. I recall that night even without the "reminder". It was after BD #1, which had occurred that September. Things were still not great, and I was deep in reading how to books about how I could improve myself. "I was the problem" - so I believed and quite frankly was lead to believe by the words the MLCer spewed in his monster moments. I had enrolled in the usual save your marriage programs. I was taking financial classes about home finances. I hadn't gotten into HS at that point. I was fully immersed in improving myself so that Xh would see that I had changed.  ::)

For the record, I don't think any of that was a waste of time. It gave me something to focus on instead of just constantly falling apart. The financial classes, were educational, although it is extremely amusing now, considering I was not the one who should have been taking them at all or adhering to them. I wasn't draining our accounts. Yet, even those were not a complete waste of time. For one, most of the classes had couples there - working together. Not me. I was the sole person showing up to do the work. In fact, in many respects maybe it was the universe preparing me for what I had no idea what was coming down the path and I would really benefit from knowing how to rebuild your finances after ruin. I had no clue at the time how bad Xh would leave things. I had always been the responsible one. Who knew?

But, this particular night, came months later. After around Christmas time realizing I was not the only woman in Xh's life. Okay, maybe I should restate that. I was not the woman Xh wanted in his life. I was a problem for him. Oh, he did notice I was making changes, and I do think that confused him for a time. I was getting some fight back in me, much like he was used to when I met him in college. I had self-confidence that I know had slowly been broken down, largely in part by FIL's presence in the house and the chipping away by what I now know was Xh going into crisis. It is not all his fault.

That is not it. Like anyone, we go through periods of needing to push ourselves and grow. Life ebbs and flows. For me, my career was changing and the kids were growing up. My role was changing. I probably could have navigated it had FIL not been in the house. That is one regret I do have. I never should have agreed to that, but who am I kidding? I don't think I would have won that battle. I convinced myself it is what was needed for Xh and FIL to heal their relationship. One flaw in that theory - neither were willing to actually do the real work to do that.  ::)

At any rate, after finding out about OW, I kept my mouth shut. I didn't say a word, for one because I convinced myself early on that it was my imagination. And then the late nights became more frequent, etc. It would be on a February afternoon, when stupidly, or perhaps arrogantly, Xh asked me to check his computer for an email from his client. It wasn't like I was snooping. What he didn't realize was Schmoopie had sent an email - a very explicit email right as I was checking the client email. Then it was just me digging deeper as I sat there in shock - wanting to scream and to throw up at the same time. I remember the day really well. I put on the happy face, as the kids came through the door. I put on the good front as Xh came home. It was a really warm February day - unseasonably warm and FIL had gone south for the winter, so I didn't have that to contend with.

I was taking the laundry detergent out of the car and Xh asked me how my day was and why was I acting so weird. I lost it. I wasn't crying. I was not screaming. I just looked at him and out it came - just demanding to know how long it had been going on. He tried to lie and then realized I wasn't having it, as I calmly rattled off the nights he had been away and verbatim what Schmoopie had put in the explicit email she sent, recounting the last evening they had spent together and she wanted another round. Xh had tears in his eyes and said he hadn't meant to hurt me. He apologized. Then asked what I wanted him to do. He wanted to tell the kids and confess. I told him no, because it was not their issue to deal with and not something they needed to know about their F. I still feel that way, had Bozo not screwed up later by giving D his phone that he never erased completely.

What followed was Xh saying he wanted to try. It was Xh telling me he didn't think he could cut ties completely with OW because they worked together and had been friends. I stupidly agreed to this arrangement thinking it would cool down and things would be fine. I forgave him and took some of the blame. Looking back I realize though that the only apology that ever came was when I confronted him. He would immediately use ways to blame me moving forward about why he cheated.

That FB memory had been about a month after that fateful driveway confrontation. We had met up with our dear friends - the H had been the best man at our wedding. Their eldest S was touring colleges in our area and we hadn't seen them in a couple of years. The kids all were having a great time and our friends had no idea what had been going on.

We went out to dinner and the FB picture was of our dinner event. Our friend is a person who likes to document those times. The dinner was fun. It was still awkward with Xh and I, but he seemed like he was trying.

The thing is, I recall having a decent time. I know where we were, but most of that weekend was a bit of a blur, except for what happened as we left the restaurant. I had sort of picked up on it, but told myself I was being paranoid. Xh was on his phone a great deal and I convinced myself it was the client he had been working with, as they had a huge project looming. It would be outside of the restaurant when our friends called Xh out on it and the W grabbed the phone from Xh and laughed. The look on her face said it all. She out and out asked who Schmoopie was - as in Xh had a woman he had been texting all night long and there were photos. She was nice enough not to share what she saw or let on, but I knew from the look on her face that the woman in question was in fact OW. She did say to him in front of her H, that she would divorce him on the spot if he had that on his phone. Xh just laughed. I said nothing. He had changed her name slightly on his phone, but I knew who it was. I would be quiet the rest of the trip. Crushed.

Later when we had come home from the trip, I would ask him why he wasn't being honest with me. Hee would tell me that it was none of my business and I didn't have any right to ask and I should trust him. She was just a friend and I basically should just accept that, since he wasn't giving her up.

I put up with that for months, as the gaslighting kicked into overdrive. It would be summer when I realized OW had never left the picture and was helping Xh find a place to move to. I would be hit again with BD#2 in the fall, right on schedule almost exactly a year later.

The thing is today, that memory is still very vivid, but only because I had the reminder. Now though, it is more of a "wow, has it been 9 years since then" reaction.

I would have done anything that fateful night to make it all go back to "normal". The pain was horrible and I never thought I would feel any true happiness again. I was wrong.

The end of my marriage was devastating. I guess I no longer wished it had turned out differently. It is not to say I still don't truly understand it. The difference is, having closed that book, I wouldn't want to go back to that life. Seeing that "memory" today makes me realize that I honestly couldn't go back. It really would have meant rebuilding from the ground up and 9 years later, I am not who I was back then.

The truth is, I am happier than I have been in more than 9 years. That night - is now a blip in my history. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:09:48 AM by MourningDove »

Morningdove what a very nice update. I could relate to some of the feelings you described.it sounds like you are truly healed. It’s very inspiring to read your story.
Me 43 at BD
H    45 at BD
Married 11 yrs at BD, no kids,
BD May 2019 (I moved out Nov 2019)
EA or PA with ex gf (not sure), H spent 3 nights with the hoe during our vacation in July 2019, it was a friendly encounter according to H
H wanted D April 2020 seeing suspected OW2 (divorced with two kids) and 2 years older than him, H didn’t file the D
Clinging boomerang
6/21 H moved in with me; kicked him out 01/22
H turned into a vanisher, wants a Divorce, OW 3 (16 years younger and extreme sporty)
14.11.22 Divorce final, I'm done

M
Dragonfly33 - Thank you.

I have come to realize that the healing that has happened for me is complex. That is to say, that I have scars from this experience. Most times I don't see the scars or am no longer really aware of them, but there are moments that they become noticeable and sometimes still have pain associated with them. It has taken me a long time to be okay with accepting that reality.

The thing with that "reality" though, is while I am stronger in many ways and maybe in new ways, I sometimes find myself falling victim to some of the residual effects. I am learning that those things may always creep in and I have to allow myself to feel or let them go. The trick is to not let most of them take hold.

Today, I came across something in my closet I had forgotten about. The object in my closet was a shadow box that I had assembled after my wedding. I am a bit of a romantic, and had kept flowers from my wedding and carefully dried them. I had arranged the small blossoms against a piece of cloth and it hung in our apartment and then in our hallway for many years. I only put it away after the pain of seeing it when Xh hit me with the first BD too painful. I stuck it behind suitcases I rarely use anymore. Today, I was going through those suitcases and deciding which ones I wanted to keep - if any. There was the shadow box. It didn't rattle me. It didn't stir emotions along the lines of sadness nor anger nor any other thing.

Now, I have kept my wedding pictures and things from my wedding for my kids' sake. I no longer get upset or nostalgic about it, which sometimes feels a bit odd. I have no intention of getting rid of those. But these flowers - they somehow seemed odd to hang on to. I know why I held on to them before. Just as D has the first roses Xh gave her when she had her first ballet recital, which she had me frame in the same manner I had this collection of flowers.

I pulled them from the frame and decided to have a bit of a ceremonial fire in my fire pit. I had considered a bonfire. It was not out of some anger that I wanted to burn them up. I could have tossed them out, but somehow I had this urge to burn them much like people burn sage in a ceremonial way. I didn't let the kids see what I was doing.

I realized that maybe today I really needed that little bit of letting go. I had felt a slight bit of that self doubt creeping in and Xh's MLC monster accusations creeping in. I know what had brought it on earlier in the day and if left to take hold becomes a bigger battle with myself.

I think part of it is I have truly moved on and the relationship I am in now is my focus. As I looked at those flowers, what dawned on me was I am okay with the wedding photos and my past with Xh. I no longer want things like flowers from Xh around.

I am still a romantic sap. That hasn't changed. Maybe I am just making room in my life for different things to hold on to.  ;)

R
Totally get this.

M
I think that sounds very healing. I don’t really care to see any photos even of XH. He wants them all including our wedding photos and I was going to send them to him, but then I thought…..isn’t that what he is running from? Makes
No sense. I like you will keep the photos for the kids. I plan on putting things in a box for them for after I am gone to have and know at some point it was good :)
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

M
Most days I no longer give Xh much thought. It is something I probably never thought possible way back when life just blew up.

I have often said it was best for me to treat Xh like he died. In my situation it was the healthiest thing for me to do, in all honesty. He had become capable of being a monster and lashed out in ways I never thought possible. He was spending money and didn't care what happened to the kids and I. Had I held on, I am convinced now that the kids and I would have had to move in with my parents because I would have lost the house and more. It is a sobering thought.

During the very stages of when Xh began his departure (it took him months to actually move out entirely, as he was renovating his new place) we didn't have a separation in place. I kept thinking he would change his mind, as I feverishly worked on myself, thinking I had some ability to change the trajectory. It was not worthless, I learned a great deal about myself along the way.

One of the things that started before Xh moving out - perhaps a handful of years prior, Xh adopted a bit of a shocking pattern. It took me awhile to pick up on it being a pattern and looking back, it always correlated with something in his life he didn't want to deal with or couldn't control. He would go on massive cleaning sprees and would get rid of things. The hauling out of things didn't always bother me, but often he would get so out of control with this process, he would put things out by the road to give away that made no sense. Things that months later he would come to me and ask where for instance the table saw was. I would remind him he gave it away and he would look at me like I had just answered him in a foreign language he didn't understand. He truly didn't quite seem to grasp he had gotten rid of this or that.

At one point in time as he was starting to move things to his cottage, he took 2 pieces of artwork. There was no logical reason for him to select those two pieces in terms of importance, so that was a bit odd. He left some pieces that had once meant something to him. The 2 pieces he took actually belonged to my F. There was no formal paperwork with these loans of artwork - why would there be? I often had borrowed work from my F's collection and returned it. With no agreement in place there was little I could do. One piece was a sculpture of my F's and the other was a real head scratcher. It had hung in the wine cellar for a very long time. It was a gift given to my F from a dear friend of his who was an artist as well. Xh took that with him when he left.

I initially had confronted Xh about these two items, expressing that those pieces were not mine nor his. The short version of that part of the story was Xh promised me he would make sure the kids got the items if he ever got rid of them. My F was fine with that and when the sculpture came back some time ago, we didn't really think too much about it.

The piece that remained has some significant value. That was never the point for me. It was that it was my F's and sentimental. The last I knew it was still hanging up somewhere in Xh's cottage. I hadn't really thought about it in a very long time. I always knew it was possible Xh could sell it, but I had put that out of my head.

Yesterday, I made a stop at a thrift store on my way home. I can't even begin to recall the last time I was there. I had decided to just pop in and take a quick look around, as I was seeing what they had that we could possibly use for D's apartment. This place is also somewhere that gets artwork in.

I made my way around and noted some ideas and decided to check out the artwork as I had found several pieces from an artist I know well. My guess was someone passed away and what was there was from an estate. As I made my way down the wall of artwork, I stopped in my tracks and saw the piece that had hung on the wine cellar wall. I pulled it off the wall and saw my F's handwriting on the back, noting the date he received it and who the artist was. I could feel anger bubbling up. I left without the piece, torn with what to do.

This particular store is somewhere my F comes to buy used books regularly to read. He likes buying several at a time and it means there is no date he has to worry about returning them to a library. When he is done, he donates them back to the organization. This particular organization uses any proceeds from their sale to go right back into the community and it is run by volunteers.

My fear was my F finding this piece that was his hanging on the wall, full well knowing that Xh donated it. He didn't return it to my F or to my kids as promised. I knew my F would be very hurt and upset. I drove home wresting with how to handle it. I have always like the piece, but the price on it was not exactly what I was wanting to spend at the moment and I was just annoyed and angry. I decided to leave it behind and sleep on it.

I had a couple of people who told me I should call and ream Xh out. I thought about that scenario. Hmmm. I would get it off my chest, but what would it really solve or accomplish? Xh might create waves with S or D it. That was not a scenario I need, since my focus is getting D to grad school, not having a row with Xh. I thought about telling my F. He would be hurt and angry. I thought about leaving it hanging there and hoping my F would not see it. One person suggested I should tell the shop owners. I laughed thinking sure - I didn't file a police report. There is no paperwork trail. Why would I bother volunteers with this - who had nothing to do with it and how would I prove it anyways?

I went to work this morning and had let go of it, until I left work. I found myself going back to this shop and with no hesitation I took it off the wall and paid for it. The volunteers asked me about the piece, as they were intrigued by the artwork. I recognized the one cashier as someone my F knew. I laughed and said there was a bit of an odd story behind it. I gave them the quick story and the one gentleman who knew my F said he is glad I rescued it because it would be hurt my F to see it just donated. The other cashier informed me I was a good D for worrying about my F's feelings. They were a bit surprised I was willing to pay the price that was on there. I told them that frankly, I was okay paying what they had on the tag because I know it is going to a very good cause and it was worth way more than what they had on the tag - just from the emotional standpoint.

The thing is, the minute I made the purchase, I felt an immediate sense of something else. It was closure for me. Both pieces that had been taken are now back in my possession. It has nothing to do with the material aspect for me. It was more about those particular pieces and the sentimental meanings to my F. They were taken before the divorce and now it feels like that closed the loop for me in a strange sense. Maybe a bit of taking back what is my life and such.

When I mentioned it to one of my friends this morning, they asked what anniversary was coming up that set Xh off. I hadn't even thought about the crazy behaviors that would go on and the mass cleaning out scenarios that often corresponded with those anniversaries. Hmmm - BIL having a tumor was a new one, but the anniversary of FIL dying is coming up as is BIL 5's death. The biggie though is this week and that would be both his best friend and MIL. It would make sense, but it is not for me to worry about, as sad as it may be for Xh.

I took an extra side trip on my way home. I brought the piece to the frame shop and decided to have it reframed. It has some damage to the frame, but it was more me deciding that with the rescue, I was going to give it a new life.

I will show my F the piece is back, but I will not be telling him how it came back in my possession. He doesn't need to know that part.

As for Xh - I don't need to know what is going on in his life nor do I want to at this point. I can say he is unhappy and spiraling, but that is a guess. I don't really know. He might just be cleaning out and happy in his new life. My anger and aggravation yesterday had nothing to do with that part of it all. I wasn't mad about Xh's MLC behaviors or any of that. It was odd that the only thought I had today after all was said and done was perhaps this is part of me being able to put another big chunk of the MLC truly behind me.

First of all, I am very glad that the universe decided it was time for that piece to come home. And well done on navigating the rather complicated emotions to be able to cut through to the core of what you wanted to do about it.

Gosh, when the lid blows off these folks, it stays blowed for a long time, doesn’t it? I’m sure you’re right about the pattern behind it, but still - even now - I find it a remarkable thing to even witness second hand. Remarkable tbh how seemingly capable they are of doing just plain $h!tety things. Sad festering pools of strange resentment and self-centredness quite at odds with the reality often of how others have behaved towards them vs how they have behaved towards others.

Still, useful reminder too that your xh took himself with him and that it really was never about you as you have been absent from his life for so long. I have often wondered here, reading others’ stories, if the real LBS truth is that we unknowingly were such great partners that we kept their metaphorical cheese on the decent human stick bc of who we are day to day. Even if that wasn’t and shouldn’t have been our life job. So, hurrah for all the decent LBS humans imho lol.

Most days I no longer give Xh much thought. It is something I probably never thought possible way back when life just blew up.

I have often said it was best for me to treat Xh like he died. In my situation it was the healthiest thing for me to do, in all honesty.

Me too. Word for word. Quite early on - even though I knew he wasn’t actually dead - that made sense to me. It fitted how the experience felt. And it fitted what I needed to do to move towards my own next. I have no idea how MLC folks see it, maybe they kill us off somehow in their minds long before we do the same, idk. Their behaviour is quite violent really, isn’t it, even if they are not actually physically violent? Strange experience to have lived through, for sure.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 11:34:16 PM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Gotta wonder sometimes what kind of frenzied vacuum has formed between the MLC'ers ears.....

Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.