Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Alvin's 8th: I'm the Bad Guy

My Story Alvin's 8th: I'm the Bad Guy
OP: July 15, 2020, 01:14:26 PM
Time for my 8th volume.... Here are previous parts of my journey:

Alvin's 1st (New guy - wife having MLC or just resentment?): https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=10874.0;all
Alvin's 2nd (To be or not to be, that is the question):  https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11031.0;all
Alvin's 3rd (Doctor Doctor please): https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11076.0;all
Alvin's 4th (Difficult to Cure): https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11127.0;all
Alvin's 5th (Ghost Love Score): https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11233.0;all
Alvin's 6th  (When You Believe): https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11375.0;all
Alvin's 7th  (Try): https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11459.0;all

This part of my story is titled "I'm the bad guy".....  because Billie Eilish is one of those things that manifests in behaviour/life of STBXW in number of ways. And I am apparently the "bad guy" in number of ways.  ::)  No lyrics this time as I honestly speaking cannot see anything worthy of that song apart of catchy tempo.

Life... Lots of changes.

Letting the genie out of bottle... finally telling the kids that she wants divorce.  Countdown T-4 days...

New city - I'm the one moving out and it will happen mid/late August....  Without W's help/assistance I really don't have much of a change to survive rural life on my own with kids.  Not sure how she's gonna handle it alone with kids (but it's her challenge, not mine).

Reversing parenting roles - will happen in September 1st, after that STBXW will be the main parent till end of May (kids being with me all school holidays and one long weekend per month).   

New home - part of me is excited about this, part of me worries if and how it becomes a home.   And of course I gotta find it first, LOL (but I think that for starters I will settle for smaller flat, and when I see how things go, I might upgrade in year or two).

New job  - After nearly 20 years I'm putting my business aside and starting a new job at big (international) company.  It will be professionally fun and hopefully challenging too

New life - pretty much everything in my life is about to change upside down.  From country boy to city boy. From business owner to office worker.  From full-time family-father to 'split-parenting'.  From fat to fit.  Saying goodbye to life and people I grew to love.

Divorce  - on it's way and will be finalized in November/December if things don't change drastically. And I think they will not change in long, long, long time, possibly never.

And I'm from here onwards referring W as STBXW.   Because it is reality.

So some interesting times ahead.... 

Alvin.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:53:32 PM by AlvinTheMaker »
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

Alvin's 8th: I'm the Bad Guy
#1: July 15, 2020, 10:27:08 PM
Journaling.... Not sure if I'm the only one feeling this way, but I notice that as I try to help others on their journey, I often times end up writing "smart stuff" that reflects my beliefs and who I have become. I wrote the below words in Sasquatch's story, and IMHO they to large extend reflect my current understanding of the process as whole.There are so many other lessons learned I could write too, but maybe I'll save them for the bestseller I want to write some day, LOL.

I'm coming from very similar place as you. A STBXW who is resentful or in "I have forgiven but I can never forget" mode. Been this way likely 5-10 years, of which I've been aware for 17+ months. The worst and greatest months of my life.

I'm gonna share you three lessons I've learned, maybe they will become useful:

I have made many mistakes in past, but here's the newsflash. So does everyone. So feel free to look at yourself with a bit (or maybe even more) of grace and forgiveness.  Fix what you think was wrong, and carry on. Life is all about growth. If you keep looking what other person was in the past, it's gonna keep you stuck.  If you keep looking what other person should become in the future, it's gonna keep you stuck. Focus on present you and present others. And become best of you. Grow daily. Physically, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually. It attracts people towards you. It makes you the lighthouse.

Which takes me to second item on my list. It is never about you... What you think of something and how you feel of it is always a choice you make. It is never about others.... The thing is... People in love forgive and forget, feel compassion. It makes love love. It makes people build dreams that last a lifetime. But to forgive is a choice, to look through eyes of compassion and love is a choice, and to forget is a choice... For reason or another she has chosen differently at some point in time, and it has allowed this massive lump of negativity to build within her...You may have done mistakes, but she chose how to feel and respond into your mistakes.... When she felt wronged back then, should have been addressed back then by her. Letting it be and grow in the shadows...was her choice. A mistake she made (see, all make mistakes) that allowed a hurting, blistering wound to evolve... Right now you just existing in same space or universe is enough to trigger the hurt.

Three, hurt makes people do crazy stuff. You just want out of it, fast. Me, my W, you, your W. We all follow this hardwired instinct to survive....  The more you hurt, the less rational decisions you make.It's just inbuilt chemistry and hormones in us. Fight, flight, freeze, fawn are the four basic modes. You are now fighting, she is likely in flight mode...As long as the hurt is there, as long as the triggering happens, nothing really changes....We really cannot heal each others hurts or make them better or worse with our own behaviour. Because the only person we control is us....  So focus on yourself.  Because it is the only person you can change, fix,save and love as whole.

Please do understand that all this is slow process, and you two will travel separate roads for many years, possibly forever.  And all you control is you and how you respond to things not in your control.

Alvin.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

• Mentor
#2: July 15, 2020, 11:24:21 PM
Attaching Alvin. Stressful times ahead.

Don't forget the advice from early on about sleeping, drinking water, etc... Take care of yourself.
"I'm slowly learning to expect nothing and appreciate everything."

Together 28 years, married 27. Two adult kids, ours

BD #1: 2016 - EA  |  BD #2: 2018 - FA

W moved out - June 2019 | OM#3 - July 2019
W asks for divorce - August 2019 | Divorce final - September 2019 | Moving on

My thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11537.new#new

New Here? Read this! http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=1149.0

#3: July 16, 2020, 04:43:44 AM
Thanks PJ.... Back to basics is always a good rule of thumb. When you have steady foundation, you can add new layers on top of it afterwards....  Mentally speaking I'm somewhat prepared that the first 12 months of new life will be rollercoaster ride like never before.  But I'm not gonna worry it, but take it as a journey.

... and on the fun side of life (which I often times fail to share).... I'm growing up a circle beard.  Not sure if it adds to health, but at least I'm having fun grooming it etc.  STBXW would never kiss me with stubb/beard/moustache, so I shaved. But now I can have fun with it, and see whether or not it's something I enjoy keeping longterm, LOL.  Small dreams and small things make life fun.

Alvin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:57:23 AM by AlvinTheMaker »

#4: July 16, 2020, 06:14:52 AM
Looks like everything is about to change, that must be exciting and a huge change of pace going on the offensive instead of playing defense.

Sounds really good, sure is moving forward.

Will be here for the ride  :D

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

#5: July 16, 2020, 10:05:34 AM
Looks like everything is about to change, that must be exciting and a huge change of pace going on the offensive instead of playing defense.

Thanks for joining the posse, Standing :)

Actually I'm not sure if I've ever played defense ;)

But  let's see what this step of life brings for me.  Hopefully some fun and happy times :)   

Alvin.

#6: July 19, 2020, 12:37:01 PM
Journaling....

Well, the genie is now out of the bottle... Kids now know divorce is unavoidable, and they've been explained what the changes mean on practical level, and what it is coming.

STBXW's approach to whole event was very cold: "your father wanted me to come and stay, and say  this thing that should be so obvious to all you. We're divorcing"...  She did express some comfort to kids when they went emotional, but othewise she was very icy.

As to be expected,  G12 and G16  had figured it out what was coming.  But still, G16 had somewhat strong (tears´+crying)  emotional reaction over number of changes happening.  And G12 was worried of some things.  And S5 did grieve the part where it came obvious that he would not see his best friend next summer to same extend as now.  I tried to address all those concerns to best of my ability as all that negative happens on my time  (I did not address any of the negative things that will/may happen on W's time, as they are not my thing to address).... I also highlighted that none of what happens was my choice, and I would have chosen differently and there would have been good propablities of different outcome....  But at least now I can talk to kids about these things and engage them as part of the process of building "Home mk.2".

I did tell kids that they can, and should, talk about their feelings.  To me, to STBXW, to their bigger siblings,  to their friend, to councellor, to healthcare folks at school....   One interesting observation I made was that G16 struggless with the "its no use as its not certain it will help" bias.  Not really sure what else to do than encourage her, and try to explain her how biases work.

STBXW did once more try to squeeze some more extra days for herself.  Saying kids need to be able to visit her parents during summer holidays. I just said "grandparents are free to visit my place", or kids can go visit grandparents on her days (which are still very plenty)....   in the end I'm not asking kids to visit my family during school season, why should I give away even more of time when she's already having much more of it.  How I use my time with kids is my thing, how she uses her time with kids is her thing. How hard can it be to understand.

Money... it's clearly the 'new sweet spot' of STBXW now....   I think she's finally beginning to feel and realize some of the financial implications of divorce,, and begin to panic. Instead of going into "make more money and fix the problems" growth- mode (like most healthy adults would do),  she's turning into "I'll spend even less money than before, try to survive by starvation, and blame you for all the consequences" mode....   STBXW is now struggling with the thought that she may not afford all the stuff I'm leaving behind, saying some of it is worthless.    And when I listed her some of the options how we could deal with the sitch, she was not happy with none...  Oh well, I think the most straightforward and brutal way might be organize a massive yard sale, sell what sells at any price, and split the money 50/50. 

Oh, and I learned she's taking a week off from work right after I've moved (but kids are with me) and spend it at "home mk.1"... honestly put I have no clue what she thinks happens when I move that she needs a week for  :o 

But umm... at this moment.  She's not the gal I dated, proposed or married. I guess I'm finally seeing the bug in edgar suite.  And the less I see her/him, the better for me.

Alvin. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:28:53 PM by AlvinTheMaker »

#7: July 19, 2020, 02:01:01 PM
That must have been very difficult. Sorry Alvin.

As for W.... when reality shatters fantasy, they don't like it.

Seems like she's trying to distance to avoid blame, but it's all her fault. She'll figure that out later.

Hang in there,

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

#8: July 19, 2020, 03:05:30 PM
Seems like she's trying to distance to avoid blame, but it's all her fault. She'll figure that out later.

I did talk this with my father today.  He cannot understand any of W's behaviour... I told that she's running entirely on emotion. A person like that doesn't think with reason for any of the consequences.  Right now I'm giving her rope, plenty of rope, so she could try her luck as freely as possible. She either learns to master it,  or she starves herself, or she hangs herself with it. Either way, I win on all cases as my life is going onwards regardless if her.

Hang in there

Apart of seeing kids hurt because of some changes I'm all okey. And it really does not help kids if I lose my act now. They need the sane, non-emotional parent now

Possibly my biggest "issue" right now is one widowed lady who I met in local pagan group (it's mostly nature stuff about herbs etc) few nights back. She's really trying to woo me. Lots of "I wanna know you better"  etc smoke signals coming my way. I've already put out "middle of divorce" and "under construction" signs as I really don't think I'd be up for new serious R in some time... But it's nice to see "become best of you" attracting new folks (she made the move based on stuff I did a out month back).

Alvin.

• Mentor
Re: Alvin's 8th: I'm the Bad Guy
#9: July 19, 2020, 05:38:05 PM
Hi Alvin I'm a little confused about something you said, if I may.

"STBXW is now struggling with the thought that she may not afford all the stuff I'm leaving behind, saying some of it is worthless."

Why would she struggle at the thought of affording the stuff you are leaving behind, if it is worthless?

I am assuming the marital assets are being divided equally, so why would either of you pay for them?  Seems they should be equally divided so no one person is benefiting more than the other one.

Did I misunderstand you?  Or is she getting more of the assets?

I'm glad to hear things went relatively smooth with the talk with the kids, under the circumstances.
Ice cold is very typical with MLCer's.  No surprise there.
They are usually, emotionally, shut down.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.