Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Re: Forum Problems 2

A
Off-Topic Re: Forum Problems 2
#150: February 18, 2020, 04:27:42 AM
OK, I understood that perfectly, UM.  NOT!
Is that why the ‘guest’ number is 578 right now?   It’s probably higher now.
I did notice extraordinarily high numbers of ‘guests’ recently and wondered why. 
I tend to look at number oddities when I visit HS ever since the view number fiasco on my previous thread.  ;D

Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Re: Forum Problems 2
#151: February 18, 2020, 06:36:23 AM
OK, I understood that perfectly, UM.  NOT!
Is that why the ‘guest’ number is 578 right now?   It’s probably higher now.
I did notice extraordinarily high numbers of ‘guests’ recently and wondered why. 
I tend to look at number oddities when I visit HS ever since the view number fiasco on my previous thread.  ;D

500-600 "Guests" is not really all THAT high when you consider the number of in the world that could be directed to the Forum by a simple web search. Since the Forum is, with the exception of the part behind the Paywall, open to the Public, anyone browsing the articles or forum would be logged as a "Guest."

In addition, any Indexing Agents (i. e. Robots or Spiders) would also be logged as a guest. These agents are used by the major Search Engines to provide their users with "relevant" search results when someone searches using specific keywords like MLC or Mid-Life Crisis or whatever (in the example of the Forum) just like they index the Web Site for my church if someone searches for "English speaking churches Frankfurt Germany" or anyone of several other key words.  For what it is worth, I see an average of about 20000 hits per "normal" month on my church web site and that number goes up to somewhere around 45000 and 50000 around Christmas and Easter....

Next Thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11379
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 06:39:27 AM by UrsaMajor »
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

S
  • Administrator
Re: Re: Forum Problems 2
#152: February 18, 2020, 01:46:34 PM
One of the problems we've had here is there are random bursts of errors from different mods, that's something I'm trying to correct with clean install.  Don't know what's causing this, afaik RCR hasn't been making any changes to the forum.  I'm working on the rebuild in a clone install in separate directory connected to same database, when I want to try it live I flip the dir names, then flip them back when I'm done.  It's possible bots are hitting the clone and somehow triggering errors, but most of the errors are coming from mods that are installed in production forum, not in clone.  Been wasting a lot of time working with a new responsive theme, think I'll go to Plan D and just do a clean install with your current theme and add responsive theme after forum is cleaned up. 

There are also problems with the server, I have a clone install running on my server, same database, it runs much faster there, but is as slow here as your current install.  Two nights ago I got an exceeded resources error that took the forum down for a short time, that should never happen with just the forum and blog running in the account.  RCR has a support ticket in with host, but this has been an ongoing problem for quite a while, will be surprised if they can fix it.

• Administrator
#153: February 18, 2020, 01:50:37 PM
One of the problems we've had here is there are random bursts of errors from different mods, that's something I'm trying to correct with clean install.

Just to clarify that this post in reference to mods is not moderators but mods to the forum itself.

S
  • Administrator
#154: February 19, 2020, 08:35:31 PM
I've blocked msnbot, had logged 50k database errors in past 3 days.  Ignored robots.txt, 600 errors in 8 minutes, so blocked it in .htaccess.  Forum is running faster for a change, will see how long it lasts.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:51:13 PM by Sir Osis »

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.