Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story What am I dealing with here?

H
My Story What am I dealing with here?
#10: January 29, 2023, 12:29:53 AM
I decided to ask her just a bit ago if she was still in love with me, and that it felt very much like she was wasn’t. She said yes and that what she’s going through has nothing to do with that. I asked her if at any time during this last year did she struggle with feelings that she’s not in love with me anymore. She said no, not at all. She said she’s committed to healing and growing. Hopefully this is the case.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:49:11 AM by Hopeful5 »

R
What am I dealing with here?
#11: January 29, 2023, 01:01:14 AM
Hopeful5,

Sorry to find yourself in this situation. Having a spouse go through midlife crisis is life altering.

I want to repeat what xyzcf said before:
THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU AND NOT ABOUT YOUR MARRIAGE

Your W has fallen out of love with herself. She is doing what she can to raise her dopamine levels and like a drug addict, is not going to make rational decisions. She will defend those decisions (buying things, losing weight, other man) at all costs.

I get the desire to understand this through her by asking her questions. I get that. However, she doesn't have the answers because she's in crisis. It's like trying to anchor yourself through her and she is lost at sea.

So anchor yourself through turning inward and doing what it takes to stabilize you. That's the most important thing is for you to stabilize yourself without relying on her since she's not stable right now and likely won't be for a looooong time.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:02:32 AM by Reinventing »

#12: January 29, 2023, 04:32:10 AM
I’m sorry that this is happening in your family, Hopeful.

In terms of answering your headline question, while it certainly has lots of MLC flavours (and if it is MLC, time will tell bc it will get worse and more inconceivable before it gets any better, sorry), i’d suggest that you have enough info to answer your own question to some degree without labelling it. The compulsion to label it, understandable as it is, is often an unconscious desire to reassure ourselves that there is a visible way out or a need to figure out how to make it go away by doing x or y, isn’t it?

From what you have written, regardless of the label, you have a wife who is experiencing some kind of internal upheaval, who is at best no longer actively engaged in your marriage and who sees you as an object of blame for a lot of things that truly are not and never were your responsibility or in your power. Painful as that is, it is important for your own sanity that you develop a clear eye about what belongs to you and what doesn’t. It’s not unusual here that our spouses seem to almost have a kind of warped codependency in their attitude towards us....we go from being a kind of ‘saviour’ or safe place to being the opposite. And that is rather mindf**king to experience, isn’t it? And difficult to balance how to treat their words and actions as significant enough evidence that we are in new marital territory which requires a change in our own perspective as we adapt vs taking their words and actions as some kind of reliable truth about us, the past or the future.

So, putting your wife to one side for the moment, what you are dealing with is a significant change in your marital and family landscape. When you will need to develop some new ‘operating rules’ and boundaries to navigate how things currently are, as opposed to how they were or might become. For most of us, once we lay down our fixing tools and questions of them, that means digging a bit deep on what is do-able and acceptable to us as a way to live regardless of what is going on in their heads at any given time. Including our own POV about marriage, family and how we look after our own wellbeing and that of our kids if we have them. In that process tbh, it’s not at all unusual to find that some of our assumptions - about ourselves, our spouse, our priorities, the way we look at the world - can change, sometimes in ways that surprise us even. So, right now, you get to decide what marriage means to you when your wife is disconnected, doesn’t want to be intimate with you and doesn’t want to answer your (understandable) questions or provide much reassurance to you as a partner.....how do you do you, and do fatherhood and indeed normal life, if she is emotionally AWOL from the We?

Starting small usually helps imho. More day to day or week to week than trying to predict months out. We tend to call that stuff GAL as a kind of shorthand here....the stuff you do or don’t do that gets or keeps you in good shape physically, mentally, spiritually and practically.

Going by her ‘list’, please don’t be manipulated into taking responsibility for things that are/were not your responsibility. It will drive you nuts and it won’t help anything. So, as an example, this cult religious group that you were both involved in....unless you put a gun to her head, you both own bits of that choice and the consequences of it. You own your bit....but don’t pick up her bit too.

This kind of experience can be a bit crazy-making - bc these crisis folks say things that are hard to make sense with and tbh they change their POV and sometimes lie a lot. I would advise you to find a decent individual therapist to support you as you figure out how to navigate what is going on and how to respond to events in the most emotionally healthy way possible. Sometimes when life gets s$it hard, it needs a village imho....and this stuff is really, really hard for most of us, male or female.

Based on your w’s current behaviour, I would accept that she has told you she doesn’t want to talk about some of these things atm and can’t/won’t reassure you in the way you want. So, stop asking.  :) stop talking about the relationship at all, stop looking to her for clarity or certainty or comfort. A STFU smoothie is called for. If she wants to talk, and initiates that, you can choose if you want to be available to listen. Or not. But listening means an extra STFU smoothie or two usually. Learn about validating how someone feels, or acknowledging what they have said, without needing to provide solutions or demanding answers. Or indeed agreeing with them lol. Learn about boundaries. Learn about the difference between responding vs reacting. Learn how to think and feel without needing to share your thoughts and feelings with a spouse who can’t or won’t care much about it. Look at how to get more of your own needs met without your wife’s active involvement and get honest with yourself about how you feel and what you want to do with those feelings. (And please avoid any emotional or physical dalliances with other women....there is not a single thing in your situation right now that will be made better in the medium term by adding more players  ::) )

I told her we should go get counseling, but she wont do it..  She's 'working through this on her own'.

Is this a midlife crisis, or just a marriage that is in some serious need of work, and a much more supportive husband?
Which is why, in a way, this is not exactly the right kind of A vs B vs C question, is it? Could be some mix of all or none of the above. Whatever it currently is, there is no We work there in your wife’s eyes. So, you can’t do any We work that requires both of you until/unless that changes. And your supportiveness is of limited use imho bc she’s not inviting you to play. Acceptance, yes. Not behaving like an a$$hat, yes. Even a little Grace at times perhaps. But no We atm...sorry...imho it’s a version of marriage that is a bit more like parallel parenting than co-parenting if that makes sense. Separate train tracks rather than a shared one, maybe running in parallel and within eyesight, maybe with time diverging further apart or maybe coming closer again.....bc of course none of us, including you, can know an unknown future. But we can see - as you can see - that you are largely no longer on the same train or track as you used to be. And that takes some adjusting to after decades of a marriage partnership, doesn’t it?

So, if you mentally put your wife to one side as a non-active player regardless of the reason or label, what’s left in your life, Hopeful?
What do you see as your priorities at the moment? Or the risks?
And how can we best support you?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 04:50:34 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

#13: January 29, 2023, 04:58:04 AM
PS just read back through some of your posts about how you are feeling, as opposed to what you are thinking. Wanted to say that we do get how deeply destabilising, distressing and downright scary this experience is. So, please have a hug from here in case you need one today xxx
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

H
#14: January 29, 2023, 07:18:23 AM
Treasur - THANK YOU.  A lot to think about here. I really appreciate it.

J
#15: January 29, 2023, 07:43:39 AM
And after her losing 50lbs and becoming super hot again?  Ugh... It's been 6 months now and It feels like the worst thing ever.

Yup...

Welcome to the board, Hopeful. My ex-wife did the same thing. Menopause hit her right before the pandemic started, and I think that really blew her up (in addition to other family things). Mine didn't start working out, but started seriously dieting, and got a facelift. And started posting a lot of hot and wistful-looking selfies to FB in which she looked a lot younger than she is. (Filters, I suppose.) We're both in our early 50s.

Like everyone else said, it's not about you, so unfortunately there's nothing you can talk to her about that will fix it or set her back on course. Mine came up with some odd excuses to leave (She has tattoos! I don't! OMG!) like in the threads xyzcf posted.

This is the best place to talk it all out, as your wife probably won't be receptive, as you're already finding.

Hang in there,

JB
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. They're ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable and we have to face them. That's what being human is all about.  -Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

H
#16: January 23, 2024, 05:55:41 PM
Well,  It's been over a year since my last post... Everything is crazier. My wife hasn't spoken to me in over 4 months. Just one word answers, no eye contact etc. Total stonewalling and silent treatment.  Everything slowly escalated to this place but things mostly blew up once the kids found out about all of this.

So now where we are... Total relationship breakdown. My wife has completely demonized me and slanders me to my 4 kids behind my back, and they are confused as hell. My wife has also resorted to going to her mother for support, ruining my relationship with her parents (whom I really like). Her confiding with her mother is a terrible idea as she's just a rescuer and will always side with her.

I've been in therapy for 9 months now. Mostly for support in going through this. Also, any issues with myself and my behavior I'm working through.

She will not get any help. No personal therapy, no couples therapy, which I've begged for.

My oldest son has also confronted her several times and asked her to get therapy also. She won't do it. Their relationship is toast, yet she still continues it all.

She says she's been unhappy in our marriage for a long time and doesn't care anymore.  Strange, she never showed any signs of being unhappy until the summer of 2022. In fact, she would always shake her head at people we knew that were going through midlife crisis and say "I'll never do that because I've lived my life the way Ive wanted to and I'm happy".  Hmmm....

One good thing - This has pushed me (and my oldest son) into a deeper and richer faith in Chirst than I could have ever imagined. And that will not change moving forward. Abandoned and rejected by one love, and accepted by another. Unfortunately, she's not at all on the same page as me in regards to that.

So...  Everything is stuck.  I have every "right" to leave this marriage, as she's completely abandoned our relationship, but I will do everything in my power to stay as long as possible in hopes that something changes in her. I love her, and am willing to forgive if she comes around. Also, I'd like to minimize the trauma that this is causing my children. It's extremely hard on them. A divorce would only make things more intense. I'm doing my best to stand strong and provide as much stability as possible for them. But. This. Is. Hell.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 06:12:11 PM by Hopeful5 »

a
  • Trial Subscriber
#17: January 23, 2024, 09:52:47 PM
I started this thread from a year ago and was so sorry to read that drastically unhappy update!

It does sound like hell and man, can I relate to this.

I am new to this whole thing myself. My H only really BD'd in October but looking back there was a testing of the waters BD in like May. He was soooo angry with me when he came to visit at Xmas. But the rage has dissipated. He's moved onto a more kind of quiet resentment and irritability. But we don't live together. I think living together must make things more fraught. I hope your wife can let some of the anger go too. Are you still pushing her to talk about her feelings and the relationship? bc that makes it worse for sure.

The upside is, a lot of people think if you live together you have a better chance of repairing - and also with all those kids - and young (mine are 7 and 10) living together is likely better for them. My kids want their dad home, even a grouchy, distant dad is better than no dad at home in their minds. But I don't know how YOU heal with her there monstering at you all over the place. So your oldest son is team dad but the others are angry at you? What is she telling them about you? Is she actively complaining about you? That's tough. As bad as my H is, I'm trying not to say anything negative in front of the kids. They can see he's cold to me but I am trying not to rub it in bc he's still their dad. Maybe you can talk to her about how it's damaging to them to see anger/hatred between you and you can agree at least to fake kindess/friendliness in front of them?

Good to hear that ab your faith. I'm a long time Christian but mine has really deepened in this crisis as well. Having a refuge and a place to go for comfort is so important. There's a book called 'broken heart on hold' that someone here recommended to me and it offered comfort. Also a devotional app called Lectio 365 (something like that) that is like a CALM app for Christians that is good at night before sleep. 

I hope you can find some other, better answers here from the group. Just know you are not alone, AT ALL, in any way and we feel your pain.

#18: January 24, 2024, 01:26:28 AM
Hi Hopeful5,

I'm so sorry for you. She sounds a lot like my xW, so I can relate to what you are going through.

Like many have written before, it is not about you or your relationship, but about her facing her inner demons. Hurt people hurt, and sadly you cannot force them for help.

As for you and your hell..... what you control is you, and how you think/feel and how you react/respond.  Hopefully therapy has given you some useful patterns and tools to navigate these dark waters (if not, switch a therapist). As sad as it is, your main priority is not your marriage now, it is getting that oxygen mask on for you, so you can save yourself - physically, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually, and financially. That is only way you can help your family/kids to navigate the dark waters too, by showing healthy behaviour, providing stability, and being there unconditionally for them. It will serve you well over the years. There is way out of hell, but it does not involve her. It involves just you, and how you look and react with the world around you.

As for your relationship .... You likely have read  the phrase this is not a sprint, but marathon many times.  Most LBS/MLC stories involve timelines from 5-15 years before being able to rebuild any kind of communication/connection. And many never receive any kind of resolution. So there is no need to push more speed, instead you can/need to slow down a lot. Her crisis will take as long as it takes, and you cannot heal her.

If she does not talk of divorce, I would not bring it on the table. It is important understand that if you separate or divorce, it will not end the problems. They just become new problems. On the other hand, space can create room for healing (but that too will take years and years.

Not sure if you have given much thought to your core beliefs about relationships and marriage and family, now might be a good time to challenge them with your therapist.

One step at a time. You are doing good.

Alvin
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

m
Re: What am I dealing with here?
#19: January 24, 2024, 03:37:17 AM
I have been following this thread, and I’m very sorry that you are here, but sadly, I am not surprised. It just seems like a typical progression downward that so many people see.

The upside is, a lot of people think if you live together you have a better chance of repairing - and also with all those kids - and young (mine are 7 and 10) living together is likely better for them. My kids want their dad home, even a grouchy, distant dad is better than no dad at home in their minds. But I don't know how YOU heal with her there monstering at you all over the place.

I did want to make a comment that in my opinion, the “common knowledge“ about chances of repairing and living together is made up. As I’ve said elsewhere, this is a psychological fracture, it is such a massive event that details like this do not even register to the sufferer. But they do register for those of us who are around them, including kids. How can it possibly be a good idea to expose oneself to continued abuse, hatred, anger, irrational behavior? How can it be argued that it’s better to be around disorder than to protect oneself and children if there’s an option?

There’s also the irony of if there is even a small chance of repair later, the LBS has to have not taken enough damage to not care anymore and or not be willing to try to work on a relationship. And trust me if you read many stories you will see that that point will almost always come if you continue to be in the line of fire.

Just something to consider.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.