Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Reconnecting Who ever thought I would be here? Part 3

My Story Reconnecting Re: Who ever thought I would be here? Part 3
#50: November 27, 2019, 05:22:58 PM
I really don't want to buy the men are "dense" stuff either. Maybe all you could do is explain it to him like this:

How would you feel if our roles were reversed I had the affair and I was giving some guy a ride home and didn't say anything about doing that?  ???

Hard for them to have any empathy when they did not go through it. Your trust has been shattered and it's really hard for me to understand how he doesn't get that. That's what this is mostly about is trust and that's a really long road after what's gone on.
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

J
Re: Who ever thought I would be here? Part 3
#51: February 02, 2020, 09:48:38 AM

Are you still doing counselling together and on your own? Are you glad you took him back?

Limbo-  yes still seeing our couples therapist monthly now. I have yet to find someone for myself that I like enough to continue but so far so good at managing my emotions on my own. 

I want to thank you all who are reading and encouraging me along this journey. 

Today is a milestone....3 years ago 2/2/2017 I found out about the affair!  Very proud of how far we have come but still feel devastated and angry that it ever happened.  I know I am emotionally better three years out than I was 2 years or a year out but man it freaking sucks! 

I don’t know if H knows what day it is or if he is ignoring it.  His M.O. is avoidance when situations are uncomfortable!  He hates conflict.  Today is the Super Bowl and he has invited a few friends over to watch the game.  I am feeling less than enthusiastic about this so he can do the prep and cleaning to host his crowd. 

My job is stressful.  Being promoted unexpectedly last year from a teaching assistant (para pro) to a teacher was exciting but it is stressful to have to plan and document my lessons plus grading!  Ugh!  Money is nice...my take home pay literally tripled...but I feel exhausted half the time.  I just need to organize myself! 

Well wish me luck making it through today!  I know when this date has passed I feel less stress.  It’s been between Christmas and February 2nd that I am on edge and emotionally fragile.  But less each year so that is good. I can’t wait til one day it’s February 2nd and it doesn’t even register in my brain....that probably won’t ever happen but I can dream!  Doesn’t help that it is Groundhog’s Day too so that is always a blurb on the news or in the schools bc I am an elementary school teacher.

Anyway thank you again for being there to read and encourage me! 

Me 53
H 53
Married Aug 1996
4 adult children- S24, D22, S20 & S18
July 2014 BD "thinking of divorce, let's go to therapy"
Aug 2014 to Fall 2016 weekly therapy
January 2017 BD he says he's seeing a lawyer about divorce
February 2017 OW confirmed but H doesn't know I know yet...affair began July 2014, when he decided things were bad
February 2017 I filed for divorce
March 2017 H FINALLY  admitted OW and said it was over
May 2017 H moved out
June 2017 New therapist who mentioned reconciliation as an option and we began "dating"
June 2017 dropped divorce case/H fired OW/we began serious reconciliation
May 2018 lease up on apartment and H is back home full time
Currently still seeing therapist once a month, still working through the issues we had with communication that led up to our disconnection

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
#52: February 02, 2020, 12:15:07 PM
Hello,

First of congratulations on becoming an elementary teacher. I taught for over 11 years myself. I taught fourth, first, second, and subbed every position from K-6 to special education.

Now as a superintendent, I am at the top of my game and realize I don't know that much!

Today is a milestone....3 years ago 2/2/2017 I found out about the affair!

That was a milestone for me as well. My new wife and I went to the courthouse to get married. Ours was in 2018. We had to get married to qualify for our home loan. Just about to celebrate two years in our home.

His M.O. is avoidance when situations are uncomfortable!  He hates conflict. 

In my opinion, this needs to be addressed. My ex and I were both hated conflict and the avoidance led to burying issues. By the time we were in counseling there was so much in the attic, it was impossible to clear it. You need to bring up issues and work on them as a couple. Conflict and the process of how you resolve the conflict will either bring you closer or further apart.

In my current situation, we have our disagreements and our fights, but we attack the issue- not each other. It allows the pressure to be let out without having to mask and pretend that we are just a happy , loving couple 24/7.

It’s been between Christmas and February 2nd that I am on edge and emotionally fragile.  But less each year so that is good. I can’t wait til one day it’s February 2nd and it doesn’t even register in my brain....that probably won’t ever happen but I can dream!

It will take time, but don't worry.....with communication and counseling, you can reach acceptance first and hopefully forgiveness later. It won't happen overnight, but with time, you will get there.

Enjoy the Superbowl and (((((Hugs)))))

Ready
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

• Mentor
#53: February 03, 2020, 08:34:23 AM
I am so glad we are working through all this but wow reconciliation is hard! 

I was reading your post and nodding my head all the way through it. We are 6 years post reconnecting-re-conciliating and there are still triggers. The pottery of our marriage has been glued back together but there are still cracks and chips.

Married 18
BD April 2012
Left home Nov 2012
Home May 2016

J
#54: February 04, 2020, 10:39:34 AM
Ok so yesterday I got a text in the morning that simply said "I love you :) "

Then in our family text thread he asked if we all wanted to go do something as a family....dinner and a movie....something....we decided to go to a local restaurant that had trivia night. 

When I got home from work he had just gotten home and he bought me a bouquet of flowers that he arranged in a vase and later at bedtime brought the vase up to our room! 

So I think he is trying to acknowledge that we just made it through February 2nd without saying it out loud....
I think tonight I will bring it up so we can discuss.  Hate that he is so weird about addressing anything that has even the slightest hint of conflict.
Me 53
H 53
Married Aug 1996
4 adult children- S24, D22, S20 & S18
July 2014 BD "thinking of divorce, let's go to therapy"
Aug 2014 to Fall 2016 weekly therapy
January 2017 BD he says he's seeing a lawyer about divorce
February 2017 OW confirmed but H doesn't know I know yet...affair began July 2014, when he decided things were bad
February 2017 I filed for divorce
March 2017 H FINALLY  admitted OW and said it was over
May 2017 H moved out
June 2017 New therapist who mentioned reconciliation as an option and we began "dating"
June 2017 dropped divorce case/H fired OW/we began serious reconciliation
May 2018 lease up on apartment and H is back home full time
Currently still seeing therapist once a month, still working through the issues we had with communication that led up to our disconnection

#55: February 04, 2020, 11:10:19 AM
Or
You could just both have a night of peace and enjoy the flowers.
Sometimes words are not everything. Sometimes words get in the way.
Just an idea.....
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

b
  • Mentor
#56: February 04, 2020, 11:29:20 AM
Hate that he is so weird about addressing anything that has even the slightest hint of conflict.

I also have a man like this. ANY remote possibility that there may be an issue or a conflict...and he is gone into his turtle-shell. It makes resolving any issues almost impossible . He is very aware of this and is "working" on it. I found it very interesting a remark from our therapist that I had NO IDEA about. When I have a "trigger" that I can not manage, I am loud, crying, attacking , swearing ( yep..I am) . When he is "triggered " he shuts-down, retreats, avoids. She made a comment that at this point he triggered more than I did. I would not have seen his shut down as a reaction to a  trigger. As a child there was lots of conflict in his life...trust me, he would never had spoken back to his father. He was silent, looked for an escape and tried to hide. In many many ways, this is his behavior as an adult . Apparrently this shut-down reaction is involuntary. That is very hard to believe .
Married April 1985
5 children
Bomb Drop April 2013
Thrown out of house August 2013
Affair discovered November 2013 (i guessed who)
Home December 3 2013
The Journey Of Reconciliation .. is for the brave .

Anger is like a candle in the wind ... it blows out the light of all reason.

s
#57: February 04, 2020, 02:02:22 PM
I’m going to second Treasur here.  Unless you absolutely feel the need to talk about it, why not let the actions speak for themself?  We all talk about live languages and words are not for everyone.  Sometimes gifts and acts of service take the place of words.

I’m glad he recognized the date because it was on your mind.  I doubt mine knows the date of that fateful accidental text that blew up his, my, and his OW’s world.  It’s a date I will never forget though.  I’m trying to put less importance on the date.  It’s just a day.  I don’t want to celebrate or mourn it.  I want to move past it.
H: 44
M: 45
M: 2003, T: 2001, Friends: 1996
No kids
2 dogs, 2 cats
BD1 (Summer 2014) "We aren't happy, I should move out, we should divorce"  Nothing happened.
Nov 2014 we moved across the country for H's job
BD2 (July 2015) "I'm not happy.  I want a divorce"  H moves out for 2 weeks.
BD3 (Nov 2017) H takes a new job 2 hours away and moves out.
BD4 (September 2018) OW2 discovered despite claims there has never been one.  She outs MOW1 and discloses that H filed for Divorce, but has not served me.  OW2 dumps him.

s
#58: February 04, 2020, 02:02:29 PM
I’m going to second Treasur here.  Unless you absolutely feel the need to talk about it, why not let the actions speak for themself?  We all talk about live languages and words are not for everyone.  Sometimes gifts and acts of service take the place of words.

I’m glad he recognized the date because it was on your mind.  I doubt mine knows the date of that fateful accidental text that blew up his, my, and his OW’s world.  It’s a date I will never forget though.  I’m trying to put less importance on the date.  It’s just a day.  I don’t want to celebrate or mourn it.  I want to move past it.
H: 44
M: 45
M: 2003, T: 2001, Friends: 1996
No kids
2 dogs, 2 cats
BD1 (Summer 2014) "We aren't happy, I should move out, we should divorce"  Nothing happened.
Nov 2014 we moved across the country for H's job
BD2 (July 2015) "I'm not happy.  I want a divorce"  H moves out for 2 weeks.
BD3 (Nov 2017) H takes a new job 2 hours away and moves out.
BD4 (September 2018) OW2 discovered despite claims there has never been one.  She outs MOW1 and discloses that H filed for Divorce, but has not served me.  OW2 dumps him.

• Mentor
#59: February 05, 2020, 07:00:01 AM
I third what Treasur said, at least for now. 
If it still bothers you after a few days, then bring it up.

Jo I just wanted to say, and don't think men are exactly dense, but I do feel they can be when a woman is getting too personal or familiar.  I doubt he thought anything of giving her a ride, but the fact that she called him for a second ride should have been seen as too personal.  Ok, he did her a favor, but she now needs to know he has no intentions of giving her rides anywhere, anymore.  I bet she got the message loud and clear.  He is a married man, call an Uber!

I hope things keep getting better and better for you two and I hope you had an enjoyable evening.

Hugs
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.