Skip to main content

Author Topic: MLC Monster Resources about MLC 2

• Administrator

a
Re: Resources about MLC 2
#1: March 16, 2012, 01:45:05 PM
Kikki - in response to your question, honestly, I'm  not sure. I can report what he says. When he first came back, I was on a pedestal. I could tell by how he referred to me and how he would joke, "everyone's wondering how a great woman like you would stay with a guy like me...." More recently, he states, that he feels that I "continue" him, or that we are one...

What he says and what is true, may not be the same, but I can only go by my gut sometimes. Even then, I make a mental note and move one. He's got to navigate this on his own.

The further he gets away from the bad experience, the more distant and baffling it is to him.  He is better with me and kids than he's even been, and it seems to flow naturally now.  I will keep you posted if he makes more comments...

Angelgirl

• Smile, people wonder what you've been up to.
#2: April 26, 2012, 06:12:30 PM
http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=2445.0

NOt really a resource but something to consider anyway. 
Thanks Tsunami
You must do the things you think you cannot do.

k
#3: April 26, 2012, 09:19:54 PM
Thanks for answering Angelgirl. Please do keep us posted if he has any further insights.
All the very best to you and your family

• Smile, people wonder what you've been up to.
#4: May 14, 2012, 01:57:26 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.

#5: October 09, 2012, 08:48:03 AM
Here is an excerpt of The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce by Dr. Judith Wallerstein and Dr. Julia Lewis. It was published as an article in Psychoanalytic Psychology in 2004, and it covers the results of a 25-year study of divorce and how it impacts families, including (and especially) children.

http://ebookbrowse.com/unexpected-legacy-of-divorce-pdf-d169942552

There is a book as well, published in 2001:

http://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Legacy-Divorce-Landmark-Study/dp/0786886161
Me: 45, Her: 40. Married 16 1/2 years, together(-ish) 20.

Every day is another chance to get it right.
http://www.vachss.com/mission/behavior.html

"Counting days won't buy us years" —Wings by HAERTS
"Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past."  —Lily Tomlin
"When we commit to our lovers, we implicitly promise to forgive them. There is no other way we can live with someone for better or worse or until death do us part." —Dr. Frederic Luskin

k
#6: October 09, 2012, 02:24:21 PM
Thanks so much for posting that SS.  I remember listening to Judith Wallerstein being interviewed on the radio a few years ago.  It was sobering stuff.

#7: July 01, 2013, 03:20:05 PM
I just included this link about depression on my thread but thought it might be helpful here.  Dr. Joe Carver, PhD includes this article on his web site which also has additional info on other brain chemistry issues.  He makes a reference to MLC in this article.  Since MLC is so often accompanied by severe depression (which came first? the depression or the MLC?), readers may recognize these symptoms they observed either pre BD or post BD or maybe both.

The article may help explain the crazy behavior and that there is something mentally "wrong" with the MLCer, though it doesn't ultimately justify the horrible way they treat the ones that love them the most.

http://www.drjoecarver.com/clients/49355/File/DEPRESSION%20-%20Causes,%20Symptoms,%20and%20Treatment.html

TAWANDA!!!

M: 54
H: 50
D:12
Married 13 yrs.  Together 18 yrs
BD : 8/12  "I just can't do this anymore".  Denies EA/PA with "JustAFriend" of 2 years.
H filed D 11/12  w/o warning
H moved out 1/13 after 4.5 months of "monster".
OW: age 30 (JustAFriend) confirmed 1/13 (younger version of me...go figure!)
OW gone 8/13
OW back 8/13
D in process

The man I married no longer exists. He is now an angry, depressed, Rx pill popping, MJ smoking, vindictive, immature, narcissist punishing the family he abandoned. He hated his life so blamed his wife. Yet, he still isn't happy in his new life.

#8: July 12, 2013, 01:54:47 PM
I highly recommend You're Not Going Crazy...You're Just Waking Up!  The Five Stages of the Soul Transformation Process by Michael Mirdad.  It's a very succinct (90 pages) and accessible primer on both crisis (the hard way) and transition (the easy way).   He doesn't refer to just mid-life,  but does say we all have one major one in our lifetimes, which, if we don't complete, will show up at other times.  It confirms a lot of what we've read here about both the MLC experience and what we've lived within our own LBS crises.

It refers also to the tunnel, the light, the dark night of the soul, and many other metaphors we use daily.  It doesn't make light of infidelity, heartbreak, the hellish nature of the whole thing, and the abuse a person in crisis may inflict on others.  At the same time, the crisis is not painted as an evil trauma - it can be a very rewarding experience if we accept the change that comes and allow it to improve the rest of our lives. 

The five stages are:

1. Dismantling
2. Emptiness
3. Disorientation
4. Rebuilding
5. A New Life.

He says 1-3 can all be considered Dismantling and 4-5 Rebuilding, with a gap in between that we must take the leap of faith to reach if we don't want to stay stuck.  He emphasizes that our lives will never be the same after this, but even if we liked our prior life, that's ok - we can rebuild an even better one with what we learn.

It would no doubt appeal across a broad spectrum of spiritual belief - it does quote Jesus, as well as Mother Teresa, The Beatles, Jung, Buddhist writings, and Duran Duran - so there's as much a lighthearted take as there is scripture.  I would consider it about as New Age as this website is, for anyone sensitive to that.  It cites A Course in Miracles quite a bit, which I know very little about but will now be researching more (even if it's some sort of New Age-y cult or something, I don't feel that association has darkened the info in this book for me). 

So if you're seeking an afternoon read that would provide even more insight and confirmation into this process, as well as maybe provide a few exercises for achieving more from your LBS experience (there is a simple one for each stage), I would highly recommend this little book. 

S
  • Mentor
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
#9: July 12, 2013, 02:25:55 PM
Just kindled it from Amazon - bed time reading!!!! Thanks R2T
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017.
Separated 2022 (my choice because he wanted to live alone) and yet fully reconnected seeing each other often.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.