Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Starting to find solid ground...

S
  • Jumping in front of tornadoes since June 2016
My Story Re: Starting to find solid ground...
#50: January 22, 2017, 02:01:37 AM
Hi Emmy,

Thanks for checking in. Things have been progressing, but have been super hectic. I've had the reply window open about a half dozen times but haven't been able to get to it before crashing at the end of the day.

So, where do I start.

Right now, my W isn't home, but it's because she's travelling for work and for her annual birthday trip with her best friend. She gets back next week and has been gone since early last week. It's been strange going back to being single dad after a couple weeks of being a couple again.

So, over the last little while found out some things. W and I went to the neighbours a couple weekends ago and we both had too much to drink. My W passed out when we got home. I, on the other hand, got curious... So I did some digital sleuthing. Found out some new data and gave me what I needed to understand some of my W's motivations.

Turns out that not long before she "came back" to me, she was trying to have a "chat" with OM. Based on where things are at, I'm assuming the chat didn't turn out the way she hoped. So, it looks like I'm her rebound after OM didn't want to have a R with her after all.

Then, on New Year's, she had messaged OM, and he didn't respond. Hit her hard. So a couple days later, when her and I had a miscommunication, she monstered on me about being "rejected". At the time I didn't know it was projection, but I do now.

Then the weekend after New Year's, we were out with another couple and she got a little snippy with me. I totally forgot everything I had learned and spewed right back. Was a pretty ugly night. Ended up with me going and staying at our rental. Two bright spots out it though. The husband in the other couple gave her a truth javelin in saying that if he was her husband, he would have been gone months and months ago... The other bright spot was the next day, I did come back to the house and apologized for my behaviour. That night, she came and slept upstairs. A couple days later, I asked her why - she said it felt "comfortable". She's been back in our bed with me since...

So, her actions all say that she's back for now. Her words make it clear that she feels like she has lots of work to do. I know she's probably still in the tunnel, and I'm not sure if her reconnections are poking her head out or something else.

I'm doing pretty good at keeping my expectations in check and not over committing. It feels strange when I have to keep other's expectations in check (like my MIL) as they don't know how the tunnel works.

Just trying to live in the moment and enjoy the good parts. Haven't cycled much so I'm pretty happy about that. Looking forward to seeing my IC next week. Curious about her thoughts on all of this...

For now, just going to keep working on grace and trying to be the lighthouse. So far, so good.
Me - 54
MLC W - 53
Together 24 yrs
Married 19 yrs
S 18
S 16
S 13
BD June 1 2016
Home Dec 23 2016
Recommitted to our M Sept 2017
7+ years since BD, reconciled and going strong

Re: Starting to find solid ground...
#51: January 22, 2017, 07:30:32 AM
Hi SC!

It's good to hear from you again and see the progress you are making on yourself.  I also learned that my H initially started to reconnect with me after he heard something he didn't like from MOW2.  It's interesting how rejection from the affair partner seems to kick them back to us.  I don't know for me if I would call it rebound though, it's like my H realized in his fog that I'm there for him, that I am the strong stable person/friend that he wanted to be with.  Why yes, the lighthouse!

"Nothing others do is because of you.  What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.  When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering."  - don Miguel Ruiz

The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz
1. Be impeccable with your word.
2. Don't take anything personally.
3. Don't make assumptions.
4. Always do your best.

My Journey: http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9093.0

#52: January 22, 2017, 09:36:23 AM
Hi Stormchaser! Thanks for checking back in. I know what you mean about hectic. I often start replies to threads here and never finish.

Good for you for keeping your eyes open and taking what she does/says with a grain of salt. We all have slip ups to old ways, it's what we do afterwards that matters. Sounds like you're doing a good job of recognizing it  and making amends when necessary :)
"You are as much a real person as you are deep. As with the depths of a diamond, the interior is twice as important as the surface." - Baltasar Gracián

• MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
  • One day at a time. And time is my friend.
#53: January 22, 2017, 01:33:52 PM
Attaching
Married 11 1/2 years, together 18.  BD 9/2016, 2nd BD 10/16.  H moved out 10/16.  2 AS's from my first M.  Me 55, H 50. OW 23.  Moved back 4/18.  Reconnecting and working on our M.

"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through; how you managed to survive.  You won't even be sure if the storm is really over.  But one thing is certain; when you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person that walked in...that's what this storm is all about."

"The trick is to enjoy life.  Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones."

S
#54: January 23, 2017, 02:41:31 PM
Thanks everyone.

STL, quick question for you - how has your husband talked about "his work" or what he still feels he has to work on. Has he had any episodes of true remorse showing either in actions or words? Lastly, how has he addressed the future or the R? Has he talked about it at all?

I don't know for me if I would call it rebound though, it's like my H realized in his fog that I'm there for him, that I am the strong stable person/friend that he wanted to be with.  Why yes, the lighthouse!

I guess I'm feeling a bit like a rebound because it seems like she really bounced right back to me when she finally seemed to give up on the OM (still to be verified though). And there didn't seem to be much of a delay between it. And she's been so insistent that she's back, but doesn't know what the future holds. So she's almost kind of cake eating...

As my W has been away for almost a week now, its been good to see where I'm at with certain things. I'm finding I don't cycle as much now as I have in the past few months. I have felt a bit of resentment and that's bugging me. She had a couple work trips and went on a side trip to London England with her best friend in between so she's gone for 9 days. I've had a strong feeling of being left out as those trips were historically with me - one of our key ways to bond over the years. This one with her best friend and the previous two special trips were with OM. So trying to manage the feelings around that and hopes of future and memories of past all making me feel a bit blue.

It'll pass, but I wanted to journal that.

Me - 54
MLC W - 53
Together 24 yrs
Married 19 yrs
S 18
S 16
S 13
BD June 1 2016
Home Dec 23 2016

• Mentor
#55: January 24, 2017, 05:58:18 AM
I think I've been several rebounds actually.. I'm jealous that at least your wife gives you direct input, even though you don't trust it.

My wife bounced between super wife, having the shakes and bringing me coffee in the morning one day.. I can only guess as to what was going on. I'd love to be screamed at, told she's going to work it out with me, just once.. lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and show you some support and let you know that I've appreciated yours immensely!

#56: January 27, 2017, 07:24:20 AM
STL, quick question for you - how has your husband talked about "his work" or what he still feels he has to work on. Has he had any episodes of true remorse showing either in actions or words? Lastly, how has he addressed the future or the R? Has he talked about it at all?

Hi SC!

My H doesn't talk about the "work" that he is doing on himself.  I don't know if he would recognize it as such.  What I am seeing is the lessons he is learning by God's hand, for lack of a better description.  We are both believers in things happening for a reason, that we are being guided on our journeys but are not religious, just spiritual.  So as I learned to recognize my lessons for what they were, I can also see the lessons he is being taught himself.

When my H approached me to "get back together", it was COMPLETELY out of the blue, similar to how you described.  I had not expected him to approach me at all that way, although his attitude to me had softened, he was still all over the place.  He did recognize that we had a lot of work to do, etc. 

He would still fluctuate back and forth on his moods, but I was better able to manage myself and how he was acting because of my own mirror work.  Plus I had learned enough on here to know that this was to be expected.

As far as true remorse, I haven't seen that yet and I don't know if I will get that verbally from him.  And at this point, I don't expect it from him either because I found that this was something I was holding on to and "expecting" from him, which was making me feel disappointed.  I'm looking more at the changes in his behavior, how he treats me, how he shows that he cares for me... to me, that's more telling.

Things that I'm noticing from him that he wasn't doing back when we first started to reconnect... he tells me who is calling, who is texting.  He shares conversations with me.  He tells me that he wants to hear from me during the day.  He smiles when he sees me... this list could go on and on and on.

My H is still working through his issues slowly... but what I am seeing is he is working through them.  I think that what has helped me with this is that I'm continuing to work on ME and my triggers and staying present moment focused.  I've found that when I start focusing on the future, of what COULD happen, that I get easily frustrated when it doesn't happen the way that I expect.  My H has to do his work, but it's at his own time and pace.  So I continue to work on recognizing the positive changes that he has made in himself and showing gratitude for what he  does. 

At first, when he came back, ANY mention of the future would get him all "oh I don't know about that, we are still working through things, i can't look that far ahead" etc.  And I would get frustrated and wrapped up in that "why can't you commit!!" feeling.  And anytime someone mentioned something to him about the future, I would want to tell them to shut the heck up because I could see him fidgeting.  So I finally just said Firetruck It, I'm going to let go of this.  I'm the one that's standing, dang it... so that means he's got to work on his own stuff and get through it.  And I left him alone about it... because I found that if I did bring up those sorts of things about the future, that it put PRESSURE on him.  So while he may be getting that from other people and himself, he isn't getting it from me.

We are finally at a point where H is more active in his decisions about the future.  He's talking more long term.  His comments are around "I want us to spend more time doing this thing this year" and us "having more fun this Year".  Notice the "This Year" statements.  At the end of last year, I was lucky if I got a "next month" commitment. 

All of this has moved slowly forward over the last 6 months.  And yet, MOW2 is back in our lives again as of this week... but it's tied to a job opportunity at this point and his interactions with her are more open with me.  He's talking to me more about her and he's also setting boundaries with her and enforcing them.  So I'm seeing progress on that side. 

My point being here that for me, I found that when I had expectations about what SHOULD happen, that this is what got me frustrated the most.  When I let got of it, stayed present moment aware and recognized for myself the positive steps he is making, then I was able to let go of the frustration and be content with the progress he's making.

It takes a LOT of time... and they have to do their own work and they don't work as fast as we do, unfortunately.  But I think that the mirror work that we do on ourselves lets us develop empathy for them, and compassion, and some understanding of what they are going through.  Think of it this way... we are making the choice to do our mirror work, so we feel in control of what we are going through even though it can be painful for us.  For them, they are really being forced to work through it... and while they have a choice, they fight it kicking and screaming, hence the MLC.

Ok, long answer to a short question. :)
"Nothing others do is because of you.  What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.  When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering."  - don Miguel Ruiz

4. Always do your best.

• Mentor
#57: January 27, 2017, 12:16:05 PM
I really agree with everything you've said! And I always appreciate your input, not matter whom you're directing it to!

I need to get better at not feeling pressured myself.. Maybe my situation is unique, but my W can really flirt sometimes. It's innocent, but she can really get her hooks into me and I feel pressure like you said.. I want to know why she can't commit then!?!?

Maybe it's not so different, on the whole. Just her directness makes it that much harder, even though it's just one aspect of her cycling towards positivity and closeness. Like yesterday she said she was on a call at work. She came back a second later and said I didn't want you to think you made me upset or something cause I disappeared.  She was showing concern and empathy and that's something old W would not have done..

Ugh, but the teasing, it just makes it harder for me I guess.. I'm doing really good though, I just need to cut myself some slack and that is something I'm bad at.

#58: January 27, 2017, 01:50:30 PM
gman, thank you. :)

I will tell you that I also felt that way at first... everytime H would peak out and be the loving person that I know of, that would show his concern for me, then I would get all excited and push forward.  And WHAM... he felt the pressure, starting panicking and pulling back.  That's when I learned a very important lesson patience and letting him show ME what he wants from me. 

That may sound like I was being a doormat, but I wasn't.  I was fully aware of what was happening and I had my own boundaries and if I didn't want to do something then I would tell him so.  And I would be gentle but firm about it.  I found that during the first initial months of reconnection that H was still cycling and it was harder to deal with because he was "back".  But the reason it was harder was because of MY expectations.  Once I went back to "No Expectations", just focus on me and continue to enjoy what my H can give me, it got much much easier.

And trust me, your lessons in patience right now will pay off in the long run.  You learn to really let go of things that are just out of your control and have gratitude for those little moments... the ones we sometimes loose track of because we have been married for so long.

And yes, give yourself a break.  Stop being so hard on yourself.  Read the Four Agreements and apply them to your life.  Because all you are doing when you say "Need to" or "should do" is judging yourself.  Break the "being my own worst critic" mantra.  You can only do the best that you can during the moment as it happens.  If it didn't go the way you wanted it, that's ok, next time will be different. :) 

gman, you have been doing so well, give yourself that credit and be proud of the work you have done on yourself.  It shows in the progress you have been making.  Enjoy that progress... at some moment, you will realize that you feel content and that, my friends, is the moment when you realize that your mirror work is paying off, that you are truly enjoying life and you can take what it gives to you. :)

4. Always do your best.

S
#59: January 30, 2017, 02:33:59 PM
Just checking in here...

Not much new or different. W is still home. Still back. It's so very clear that she is "off". Whether that's her peeking out of the tunnel or what exactly, I don't know yet. There are moments when her confusion about life in general is very clear. But she's clearly making an effort to be part of the family and at the very least "act" like my wife.

She's starting to sleep through the night now, but complains of "tossing & turning". That's a big change from before the holidays where she said she wasn't falling asleep for hours.

I've also extended a new boundary of drinking less. She was definitely drinking too much during and after the holidays. I've asked her to dial that down. This is a discussion that we've had periodically over the life of our relationship. It's not particularly contentious but has needed to be brought up on occasion.

STL, thanks for answering that question. I have a feeling that I may see the same non-answer answer. That she may not expressly say anything remorseful, but fulfil it with actions over time.

My one deep down fear is that she is still enough in replay that she may drop another bomb on me. Or look outside our M again. I guess that's what happens when your trust is shattered completely. Obviously, only time will tell on that. Despite the fact she often leaves her phone available, I'm not sure if she's at the point where she would allow me to go through it...

My hope is that over the next few months, she does agree to some MC as I think that there are many things to be unlocked. However, I'm not sure if she's done enough of her own work to be ready for that yet.

All in all, I'm in a good place. Enjoying having her back in my life regularly and trying to continue to be my "best self".

Me - 54
MLC W - 53
Together 24 yrs
Married 19 yrs
S 18
S 16
S 13
BD June 1 2016
Home Dec 23 2016

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.