Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story My new Normal 5.0

• MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
My Story My new Normal 5.0
OP: May 26, 2021, 11:53:10 AM
Thread #5 here I come.  5 threads for 5 years. (If the moderators can do their magic and link my old one it would be so much appreciated :))

I had not planned on starting a new thread or even posting on here so soon, but I have taken a seat on the struggle bus the last few days and wanted to share.  I also wanted to show that my reconnection, much like MLC, is not linear. 

My calmness has been disrupted by a small cycle back by H.  He did not have his regular therapist appointment last Friday and I noticed it over the weekend.  Every once in a while, I see younger versions of himself pop up.  This time it was the 12 year old boy.  The one who can’t control his mouth and is worried he is always in trouble. This 12 year old boy brought out a trauma cyclone in me.  We have not been a good combination to say the least.  I am finding my way back to detachment. 

Over the weekend we did a bunch of chores around the house and at our business.  One of these include fixing a sprinkler system.  Two weeks before this I was at my parents house and my dad showed me how to change sprinkler heads.  So I knew how to fix them.  At first my H was impressed; I went on to fix an outdoor timer by watching a you tube video and learning.  My H was also impressed with this for a little while.  Over the last 5 years as my H stopped doing anything around our house, I learned how to do everything.  I have a strange knack for fixing things, I’m not sure where it came from.   When we were done I was sweaty and dirty.  My H looked at me and said “I guess you are the boy your dad never had”  I laughed it off a bit and then he said “ I better be careful you may take away my man card”  Well, this didn’t go over well with me.  I asked him what he meant by that and he said “ you’ve taken over everything around the house and if people knew they would think that I’m not manly enough to do it”  (12 year old speaking)  I said “What I think you meant to say is thank you Roo for doing so much around the house the last few years, I appreciate it”  I let it go and walked away.  I went inside and took a shower and put on a dress and made myself look great to go out for dinner.  My H cowered a bit throughout the night and I kind of forgot the whole interaction.  He feels threatened by my new found skills.  That is on him, I’m pretty kick a$$ in repairs now, not something I’m giving up. 

Monday we were on a zoom call together with an architect who is starting to design a new house for us ( This is being picked up again after a 5 year pause)  As we were going through the plans in the kitchen I asked if she could add in a broom closet.  My H interjected here and said “Roo doesn’t need a broom closet; she doesn’t know what a broom is” I sat stunned and kind of confused as was the architect.  He went on to say “with the exception of when she rides it” Really?.... a WTF kind of moment.   I brushed it off and we continued.  I gave it a good three hours before I decided that I was going to call him out on the comment and his behavior.  I sent him a text telling him that the comment he made may have been trying to be funny but it was hurtful and embarrassing.  I told him it made both me and the architect uncomfortable. I waited for his response.  In the past he would have been angry with me for calling him out.  I surprisingly got an apology, a nice apology.  My H said he gets that from his father (He does) thinking that what he says is funny when it is hurtful.  I thanked him for his apology and I thought we were fine.  That night he came home and I could tell he was upset.  I asked him if he was ok and he said yes gruffly.  The next morning as I was drinking coffee he came and sat down and said he wanted to talk to me.  I was a little confused.  He told me that I didn’t need to include the architect in my “scolding” of him for telling a joke.  He said now I’m worried about how she views me.  I could not figure out what he was saying.  I said “yesterday your apologized for this and I really thought you understood the hurt you caused, today you are angry with me about how I told you about it? This makes me feel that you are more worried about how the architect views you than my feelings”  He shot back “There you go getting reactionary again”  Well, that opened the Roo flood gates and he got back more than he ever wanted to hear from me.  I told him in the last few days he was made me feel manly, like a slob and a witch.  My mouth didn’t stop there.  I went on say “Why are you still here if I am not what you want?”  Trauma cyclone hit and started to spin. 

I spent most of the day crying yesterday, everything hit. I questioned whether I made the wrong decision by staying, I questioned if my h was with me because I made it easy for him to return, I questioned if I even like him anymore.   My H was silent until about 5:00 and he called.  He started out by apologizing a more heartfelt apology.  He said he was deeply sorry he hurt me.  He told me one of the things he is working on in therapy was not to feel sorry for himself when I express pain, taking ownership and not making himself the martyr.  I said thank you.  We were quiet the rest of the evening.  When we got into bed he said “I am sorry for what I said”  I said “sometimes I wonder if you know how much I have been through and how hard it has been for me”  He said “I hope I can understand someday.”   

He’s pulling back and so am I.  We each have some work to do.  Somedays are for sure harder than others.  Somedays I’m just plain tired of being strong and I need to sit and cry for the incredible amount of loss that I have experienced.  Right now, the sun just came through the clouds and I’m taking my dog out for a walk and picking myself back up and carrying on.  Just wanted to share to show that none of this process is easy, none of it. 

Today I will mourn a bit, and tomorrow I will go forward.  Baby steps and time. 

By Your Command.... Last Thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11602

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:48:38 AM by UrsaMajor »
Husband 58
Me 58
Kids 3 sons 33, 30, 28 1 daughter 24
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017
married 36years.  Together 38
H never moved out except 3 weeks after BD #1
OW 30 year single mom employee-PA

m
Re: My new Normal 5.0
#1: May 26, 2021, 12:20:14 PM
I am sorry, none of this sounds fun (obvious statement I know). And boy does it illustrate how hard this really is even when there is "progress."

But for what its worth I for one think it is very positive how well you are in touch with what matters, what hurts, what is yours, what is his. These are so critical to be happy and/or content in our lives. And most of us never get a chance to learn about ourselves, the skills and boundaries.

Sounds like no matter where this all goes (not being negative at all) these skills will be with you and enrich your life forever. I hope your H manages to do the same.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

Re: My new Normal 5.0
#2: May 26, 2021, 01:07:31 PM
You did great, Roo. Big hugs as all of this processes.

C
My new Normal 5.0
#3: May 26, 2021, 02:36:30 PM
Joining you for this stage of the journey, Roo. Thank you for sharing the ups and downs of reconnection; it’s helpful to all of us, whether we are in that stage or not - and even if we never get there, I think that for all of us, there is benefit and healing in understanding all the various intricacies of this process.

From my perspective, as much triggering and trauma as there is in this experience, the progress you have both made is evident. You didn’t gloss over how his statements made you feel, you let him know - and you also got on with your life instead of letting it make you feel small. You had a cry, pulled yourself together, and kept moving forward. As for your h... yes, the adolescent is still there - the lack of consideration, the lashing out when he feels insecure. And it took him a couple of tries, but he got to a point where he was able to communicate respectfully and apologize sincerely.

Your retelling of this, at least the way I see it, makes it seem like you’re in a good place. You are detached enough to be able to step away, to take the time you need to respond instead of reacting - but you are also in reconnection and allowing yourself enough trust of him and enough vulnerability that when he backslides, it hurts. I am sorry for the difficulty and I wish you peace and strength as you navigate this rocky path.

A
My new Normal 5.0
#4: May 27, 2021, 06:14:18 AM
Oh, Roo….  (((((HUGS))))

Of course you felt hurt after hearing those words from your H.  He appears to have been momentarily afflicted with the ‘foot in mouth’ condition, and attributing (more likely blame shifting) the gaffes to genetics made it even worse, perhaps.  However, by the end of the post, I can detect your healthy coping mechanism kicking in (going out for a walk with your dog) and seeing the sun come out, metaphorically and literally.  Well done you!

If it is of any help, may I remind you what you already know — his words are all about him, and not you.  They revealed his vulnerabilities and moments of indiscretion and immaturity.  As you said, he has some ways to go and I hope this incident brings on another spurt of growth for him. 

Personally, I would not introduce any excuses for the spouse’s behaviour in my mind through the back door — that of ‘children of different ages showing up’ in MLC theories. Some truth in it but I think it can be overused/misused to minimize or rationalize MLCer’s words and behaviour. (Ask me how I know. ::))  ‘It’s MLC!!!’ may provide some context, but he is accountable for ALL his words and behaviour because HE chose them.

((((HUGS))))) again.  I hope you bounce back soon!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:48:12 AM by Acorn »
Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

My new Normal 5.0
#5: May 27, 2021, 07:16:39 AM
Thank  you Marvin, Ready, Curiosity, and Acorn, a new day brings new perspective.  Thanks for helping to see things I sometimes don't.

If it is of any help, may I remind you what you already know — his words are all about him, and not you.  They revealed his vulnerabilities and moments of indiscretion and immaturity

Thank you for the reminder.  It is so very true.  This has always been slightly there throughout our marriage.  His father does the same thing.  My H is a funny guy but sometimes his humor is hurtful.  This is the first time I have heard him acknowledge that his father does the same thing, and acknowledge that this is a bad trait.  That is big in my book.

H and I went out for dinner last night.  It was calm and good.  Talked about all sorts of things except for the events of the last few days.  I think we both are detaching a bit to sort things out.  This is ok.  H seems concerned about me in a far away manner, h likes the Roo that does not address the real issues at hand.  Sometimes I do too.. :)  I have realized that I have a ways to go in addressing my own stuff.  I never thought I had FOO issues but I do.  I am seeing this more and more the more time I have spent with my parents and sisters the last year. 

My parents live two states away and none of us kids live anywhere close to them.  We have been taking turns going out to them.  They are both in their mid 80's.  My dad is bipolar and my mom is on medication for anxiety.  When my dad is manic it sets my mom off in a tailspin.  It's a bad combination.  My sisters and I are very close (Thank god)  and we jump into action when these episodes happen.  I have been thinking a lot about my mom because I get my fixing tendencies from her.  My mom grew up in a upper middle class family.  She was the oldest of 3 and did everything the right way.  Very prim and proper.  She decided to go to college in Wyoming because her father taught at the university there in the summers.  She met my dad her first year there.  He was a very charismatic farm boy.  Nothing like the boys she dated back home.  She got pregnant and got married, because it was the right thing to do.  Her entire life changed.  They moved back to his parents farm where she had my two oldest sisters.  They moved around a bit and they had 2 more girls.  4 girls in 5 years.  My mom was always stressed when we were growing up.  She wanted everything to be perfect ,but this was at her own expense.  She never seemed happy.  She gave everything to our family.  My dad was Mr. happy go lucky and my mom took care of everything.  I talked to my mom during our last visit and I found out that she had attempted to leave my dad several times (I never knew this)  It was too much with 4 kids and she always felt it was the wrong thing to do.  She stayed and fixed and resented.  This resentment has been brewing and now as she ages it is coming out more and more.  Somedays my dad can do nothing right.  When he gets manic she gets even more resentful.  I think she has felt trapped in her life because she did the right thing all the time.  She didn't want to rock the boat.  I tell this story because sometimes I have wondered if I have done the same thing.  Have I stayed because its the right thing to do?  Have a stayed because I don't want to rock the boat?  Have I put up with so many things because I feel like I have no choice?  Digging deep and sorting out all of these emotions has been difficult.  Going back through my own marriage and realizing that I didn't say things when I should have just to keep the peace.  I was dealing with 4 kids as well.  Keeping the peace was essential and it was my full time job. 

Now that the kids are gone, we are back to facing each other.  I don't want to be 80 years old and still resentful of my H.  After my last trip to my parents I had a conversation with my H about this very thing.  I told him I don't want to be angry anymore.  I don't want to spend the rest of my life harboring resentment and I want to feel like we are together because we have chosen to be together not because its the right thing to do or we have to.   I want to work towards this goal.  I think he does as well. 

I have a 5 hour drive on my own to see my S26 tomorrow.   I just downloaded this book at the suggestion of a friend:  The Body Keeps The Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma.   Tackling my own issues and my H tackles his.  We continue our parallel roads forward.  I see a calm, healthy  marriage that is a choice ahead, that's what I am driving towards.   
Husband 58
Me 58
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
My new Normal 5.0
#6: May 27, 2021, 07:20:03 AM

I have a 5 hour drive on my own to see my S26 tomorrow.   I just downloaded this book at the suggestion of a friend:  The Body Keeps The Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma.   Tackling my own issues and my H tackles his.  We continue our parallel roads forward.  I see a calm, healthy  marriage that is a choice ahead, that's what I am driving towards.   

Really excellent book, I think you will get a lot out of listening to it on your drive!
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
My new Normal 5.0
#7: May 31, 2021, 04:35:28 PM
Just ordered this book to read this month.  It's supposed to get here this next week.
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

My new Normal 5.0
#8: June 01, 2021, 05:48:50 AM
Thanks Nas and Faith. 

The book has been/is eye opening and I make my way through it.  I was able to listen to 5 hours the other day alone in the car and 4 hours yesterday as I made way way to my D’s place.  I found myself shaking my head and seeing how much of me was being described in almost every chapter.  It does deal a lot with veterans with ptsd and children and adjust who have suffered through severe abuse.  I fit in neither of these categories but came to realize that trauma can happen to anyone and it is damaging and life changing. 

I had an epiphany of sorts.  As my H continues to move closer to me and I start to reattach  the more trauma I feel I start to experience.  Triggers seem to come out of nowhere.  Things that I really haven’t dealt with come back.  As I moved forward I realize that I haven’t put to rest what has happened.  My H is no longer doing the crazy antics of replay but I continue to sometimes treat him like he is.  My perception is often skewed and I take his past actions and apply them to his present.  My H is often confused and will say things like “I don’t understand, I’m not doing those things anymore” he is trying to understand where I am coming from while at the same time figure himself out.  Some days it all feels like too much for him I know.  He gets close to giving up.  We have had some tough conversations the last few days.  But we both have been calm as we talk about the past.  There is no sugar coating it for me anymore.  I am starting to express what happened to me without being so emotional.  He very much can’t handle my emotions right now.  Some days my emotions get the best of me. 

A couple of highlights form the book that I found myself nodding along to.  When trauma hits you need to be able to talk with someone or groups of people who have been through the same thing in order to start your healing.  This is where this forum had been invaluable.  Having someone understand is key.  I also have found a friend on this forum that I text almost daily.  We are each other’s support system.  If you are a newbie please post and share your story.  Writing it down makes it more real.  All a part of how you move forward.  I realize that I still need some help with getting over the past.  I’m looking into EMDR and neurofeedback.  The foster kids I have worked with have done these things and had great results.  I never thought I needed more help but I do.  I feel like I just need a small push sometimes.  Detachment is fine but it also has made me not pay attention some nuggets issues as we reattach.  Intimacy is still on the horizon.  This is where I think I’m going to need the most help.  I recognize that. 

A few good things from our weekend.  My H joined me at our sons house Saturday.  We hiked and helped our son with things around his new house.  My H was concerned about our son and talked to him often.  (Hasn’t done this in years). We went to lunch at an outside barn.  There were two families with babies nearby.  The babies noticed each other and started to crawl towards each other.  We all watched and cheered them on.  The biggest cheerleader was my H.  He was laughing so hard.  When they met up my H said “that may have been the cutest thing I’ve ever seen”.  I almost started to cry.  This was one thing I noticed about him during the last 5 years.  He used to love babies and completely stopped paying attention to them during replay. 

In our way home we were listening to another audiobook.  He stopped it midway and said “Seeing our son with his first house and getting married soon reminded me of us.  We had so little when we first started out but we had each other.  I put you through a lot when the kids were young.  You did so much in your own, I’m sorry”. I told him there was nothing to be sorry for.  I wouldn’t change any of those times. It was hard but we were happy.  We had a lot of love as we built our family and our company.  We just need to figure out what is next. 

Forward we go as we pick up the broken pieces.  We are both are working to repair ourselves first, which I am finding is essential.  I am starting to see better times on the horizon.  Slow and steady. 
Husband 58
Me 58
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017

My new Normal 5.0
#9: June 01, 2021, 04:56:01 PM
Roo, lovely to read your recent posts on your new thread.

Good for you working all this out.

Rose 🌹
Married 15+ years with 2 children
BD1 - 2016
BD2 - 2017
BD3 - Sept 2019
MOW Mar 2016-Jan 2018
OW2 - Feb 2019, age 30
H left home Oct 2017 to stay with his parents
Bought a family Puppy mid 2018 - referred to as ‘P’

Link to advice by my mentor, Phoenix, on what to tell the children about H leaving - reply #33 (it had a glitch)
https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9313.30

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.