Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story WHISKEY ME AWAY

W
My Story WHISKEY ME AWAY
OP: February 05, 2023, 07:56:45 PM
Today I ran my 10K for the 2024 NYC Marathon. I arrived early and just waited in my car to stay warm and then walked to the usual starting location at 102nd street. However, there was no one there when I arrived so I knew immediately something was wrong.

I was told that the starting location for this particular race was on 69th street so I had to run 2 miles south as the race was already commencing at 8am.

The runners first started to pass me at 82nd street and I knew I was in trouble when I saw the walkers. The announcer was kind as she said there were a few more stragglers approaching the start line at 8:15am but I think it was really only me.

The starting line was already being dismantled so I just cleared the electronic mat in time as I was quickly adjusting my runners bib. I should have read the course description as I just assumed it would be the same start as the one in January.

I had to fight through the crowd of 4800+ runners but that's what happens when you start late. I had even been elevated to the F corral for this run as I have slowly been moving up from I, H, and G. I think the corrals goto L.

So it ended up being my 2nd fastest 10k and I was only 21 seconds off of the one I ran in January. This was the 3rd race of nine needed to qualify for the 2024 NYC Marathon. I have all nine races scheduled already and I will serve the volunteer requirement at the 2023 NYC Marathon working the starting corrals.

I had to run afterwards because the 10k, plus those 2 miles I ran to the start, oh those count lol, were not enough miles for me to acquire on a day off from work. So I added another 7.5 to bring me to 16 miles for the day which I ran at a much slower pace.

Next Sunday I have a 4 miler and I already checked the course description to ensure it starts at 102nd street. This is the start of week #7 at 40+ miles and I think all the hill running is making a difference so far.

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
WHISKEY ME AWAY
#1: February 06, 2023, 12:33:21 AM
Today I ran my 10K for the 2024 NYC Marathon. I arrived early and just waited in my car to stay warm and then walked to the usual starting location at 102nd street. However, there was no one there when I arrived so I knew immediately something was wrong.

I was told that the starting location for this particular race was on 69th street so I had to run 2 miles south as the race was already commencing at 8am.

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

At least you were there, did it and , yes, got the T-Shirt...  ;D
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
WHISKEY ME AWAY
#2: February 06, 2023, 09:16:37 PM
I'm impressed that you still pulled that off showing up at the wrong location!  Wow!   8)

And getting in more running later?  I would have been a limp noodle at that point.  But then in my wogging (walk jogging) I've only ever done 5k's so my running stamina is completely non-existent.
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

W
WHISKEY ME AWAY
#3: February 10, 2023, 05:10:45 PM
Hi UrsaMajor, FaithWalker,

I think I would have been disappointed if the start line had been closed by the time I arrived. I ran a 7.5 min mile for those two miles which I never do so I was a bit gassed by the time I began the course. I fumbled away pinning my bib to my shirt as the course immediately ran uphill but I was able to slow my breathing and gain my proper race composure.

Today we had 60 degrees with 24 mph wind, so the running conditions were not great for a 11.5 mile run. I closed out the week with 44 miles and reached the target goal for 7 straight weeks. I think I counted I will have 16 complete weeks prior to running London Marathon.

I still have Zach Williams concert rescheduled to July from last November. IDK why it was canceled originally. I have Morgan Wallen in May however at an outdoor stadium venue so I'm not sure how that will sound. Leaving that particular stadium afterwards is a traffic nightmare so it's not my favorite venue. I just purchased Disturbed in August at an outdoor amphitheater which is a great venue on a summer night. I think Land of Confusion was the first song I liked. I know Stupify and, of course, The Sound of Silence. However, I really want to hear Down With The Sickness in person and that was my original motivation. Eric Church is also in the mix, but that is a divorce requirement in New Jersey. If Jason Aldean, Luke Combs or Eric Church come my way then I have to go according to Family Court. It's in the MSA.

Thanks

https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11999.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:12:20 PM by Watcher »

B
WHISKEY ME AWAY
#4: February 10, 2023, 10:45:50 PM
Watcher,

Very impressed at you running 2 x 7.5 min / mile before even starting the race! That’s quite a pace as a warm up.
Your training for the London marathon seems to be progressing fantastically. I’m a long way behind you in my running endeavours but I’m following the London marathon beginners training plan now. Thursday I did a 7 mile slow run and will do a similar distance tomorrow. 

W
WHISKEY ME AWAY
#5: February 12, 2023, 09:19:02 AM
Hi Biscuit,

Fortunately this Winter has been mild and thus far there has been absolutely no snow. I had 11 weeks at +40 miles heading into Berlin and now my motivation is to take 16 weeks at +40 miles into London to set a personal best.

I'm looking forward to running over the Tower Bridge which is at the midway point. That has to be a similar feeling as to running under the Brandenburg Gate.

There was no continuity with my first 3 marathons because of covid. Now I'm still on the same training cycle as Berlin and New York City. So 2022 and 2023 are the same training cycle for me whereas 2019, 2020, and 2021 were stop and go and starting anew each year.

This is also my first opportunity to run a Spring marathon and establish that Spring/Fall marathon axis. I ran Philadelphia in the Fall of 2019 and then covid wiped out the Spring marathons until now.

This morning I ran a 4 miler which celebrates the Super Bowl and was race #4 for my 2024 NYC Marathon entry. There were 4800+ runners again and the temps were 43° with no wind so I should have worn shorts since I heated up quickly.

I ran this course in 2020 and took 5 minutes off that time and set a personal best for me at 4 miles. This course was all hills so the results continue to look good as I am running well on it.

The Rome Marathon passes by the Colosseum and that looks pretty cool, lol. Well I would only attend that one if I ever run Tokyo first. My next race is a 5k on March 5th. I didn't plan any other races, and many are not even scheduled this time of year, because we are usually buried in snow.

Enjoy your day

WHISKEY ME AWAY
#6: February 15, 2023, 01:29:47 AM
Have you considered visiting Lindisfarne, Watcher? Not far from Hexham/Hadrian’s Wall, unique history, wonderful walks (and Northumberland breakfasts lol) and a rather magical island where the sea covers the road in so you can only access twice a day at low tide.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

W
WHISKEY ME AWAY
#7: February 16, 2023, 04:22:34 PM
Hi Treasur,

That is actually a very cool suggestion. I did not know about it until you mentioned it. There is also a castle on Holy Island. I was also reading there is a pub on the island just in case one gets stranded.

There are 65 days until the marathon. My goodness that has arrived quickly. The finish line looks cool with all the Union Jack's on display. My hotel is at the finish line and the start line is a 50 minute train ride I believe to Greenwich Park.

Today I was finalizing my hotel details. I got dinged in Berlin because I inadvertently reserved a room for two people. I also had to make modifications at Bath and York.

I wanted to fly out at Edinburgh however there was a surcharge for a connection through Dublin. The only other non surcharge connection was to fly to Lisbon which made no sense to me. So I will have to enter and leave via Heathrow since those are the only direct flights I could find.

I just need to purchase my rail pass and have to decide whether I want a paper ticket or download it to my phone. I purchased the paper ticket for Germany and then they had a Summer sale and knocked off $200 from the price which I missed out on because paper tickets have to be ordered ahead of time.

Anyway I believe I can use the mobile ticket immediately whereas I had to find someone to endorse the paper ticket before I could use it.

I am just finishing week #8 at 40+ miles and I already have to make hotel reservations for the Marine Corps Marathon in October however that will be just a 4 day event for me in Arlington, Virginia since I can drive to it.

So I was also reading not to refer to the Scots as being English. Apparently they don't like that and the same article said I would have a hard time understanding the Scots. I believe they speak English but maybe that's also a no no to point out, lol.

Enjoy your day

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 04:23:47 PM by Watcher »

B
WHISKEY ME AWAY
#8: February 16, 2023, 10:49:06 PM
Watcher,

All of the countries that form Great Britain like to be referred to as separate to England (apart from England of course!). Each of the 4 nations have very strong identities and distinct culture.
The regional accents around Britain can be a little tough to understand for non Brits. Rest assured that despite what it sounds like most people will actually be speaking English. The accents can change really drastically over a fairly short geographical distance too. I’ve always been fascinated by this!

WHISKEY ME AWAY
#9: February 16, 2023, 11:21:04 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsjVgujCMY

You’ll be just fine, Watcher....as Biscuit says there are lots of different accents in Britain given that we are a pretty small country, a function of history really, but most are pretty recognisable lol. Like the difference between say a strong Jersey accent vs a big Texan twang  :) but just in case, here is a wee (Scots for little  :)) overview!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 11:25:24 PM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.