Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Guilt vs Remorse #2

Discussion Re: Guilt vs Remorse #2
#140: February 25, 2016, 05:58:54 AM
I think that in moments of clarity they say sorry and they do mean it but when the fog comes back over them that makes remorse impossible. My W has had a few moments of clarity when she has broke down sobbing saying "I'm so sorry, Ive F'd Up" and just holds me tight. I believe that she truly is sorry but hours later when the fog comes creeping back in that makes any signs of remorse impossible. Plus for my wife actually saying the words I'm sorry is very difficult for her and when she finally does say it she has reached down to the depths to pull those words out. it's very tricky and like many people have said you will know the difference when you see it.

M
Re: Guilt vs Remorse #2
#141: February 25, 2016, 11:18:52 AM
I actually think that "guilt" holds our MLCer back.  They feel guilt, then they figure, in for a penny, in for a pound.  So they compound it.  Then they get angry, because we are MAKING them feel guilty. 

Yep, USELESS, TOXIC emotion!  Does more damage then good.

Hugs Stayed

Omg, so true.  I'm sure this applies to many, many who do not return or are a long time in returning.  Great post!

R
Re: Guilt vs Remorse #2
#142: February 26, 2016, 05:28:24 AM
I read that one of the reasons guilt holds them back is because it convinces them they are good people - prevents them from hitting bottom. "At least I feel guilty about all this". The guilt keeps them stuck essentially.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.