Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Old Timer's Thread #6

• Mentor
Discussion Old Timer's Thread #6
OP: March 10, 2021, 01:55:34 PM
Previous thread:
https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=10761.0

10 years ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old labrador retriever. Her name was Kaci. She was the first thing that made me smile in 1 1/2 years.

She and I bonded immediately. She came into my life in the darkest of times and sometimes it wasn't fair to this creature, that I was so sad, so unavailable...she was always at my side. If I got up to leave the room, she would quickly find me.

When she was 5, she became blind but she adjusted to that as well.

She had suffered from dementia for the past 1 1/2 years so she has been a challenge at times....she slept a lot but continued to be at my feet (and under my feet) and perked up at meal times. She would stand in front of the pantry door until I gave her a treat.

This morning, I said my final goodbye to my girl. The last 24 hours, she deteriorated and it was time but I did not want it to be time.

This gentle creature...who I loved. Who gave me so much love, a huge emptiness resides inside. This is going to be hard for time to come.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Re: Old Timer's Thread #6
#1: March 10, 2021, 02:06:01 PM
I am soo sorry. That is a whole body pain and brings on sobs. She came into your life and saved you at a low point and you stuck around to help here at her low point. The loyalty of a pooch is awe inspiring. I´ll be thinking of you as you deal with the loss of Kaci and the new routines. Hugs,
FTT
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Old Timer's Thread #6
#2: March 10, 2021, 02:28:17 PM
I'm sorry, the loss of a pet is so incredibly painful.  My thoughts are with you.
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

#3: March 10, 2021, 02:31:16 PM
Biggest of big hugs, xyz. I had to make that decision last Friday for my shepherd/chow boy. We'd just celebrated his 15th birthday the Monday before, but I knew we were on borrowed time. He had a slew of issues we'd worked around for a long time, but he'd started having daily seizures, so there was no way to continue. I still have cats, but even they are a little beside themselves that the routine has changed and their best buddy isn't in his normal cuddle spots.  :'(  There is truly nothing like the love and loyalty of a dog.

M
#4: March 10, 2021, 03:32:28 PM
I'm so sorry, xy. I know what it's like to lose a doggie we adore. I try to think of the positive, the fact you had your wonderful and loving Kaci at a time you desperately needed to be loved unconditionally. Big hugs x
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

C
Old Timer's Thread #6
#5: March 10, 2021, 04:01:47 PM
Xyz, I can’t tell you how sorry I am. We lost our almost 19 year old kitty last year, about a month before BD, and it was heartbreaking even though we knew it was coming. Much as we love the remainder of the feline family, when you have a special bond like that, there is an emptiness that lingers. My heart goes out to you.

• Mentor
#6: March 10, 2021, 04:23:28 PM
Dogs are taken from us far too soon. We can only hope we made their lives happy for the short time we were blessed with their presence. I know for sure you did, xyzcf. My condolences during an awful time.

{{{Big Warm Hug}}}

A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

Old Timer's Thread #6
#7: March 10, 2021, 09:26:44 PM
Xy,
I’m so sorry for the loss of Kaci.
I’m grateful that she was there for you and I’m quite sure she felt very loved by you as well.

Hugs,
Believer

T
Old Timer's Thread #6
#8: March 10, 2021, 10:19:28 PM
I'm so sorry, xy -- It's horrible.  I'm glad she was there for you, I'm glad you were there for her.  Losses like this when we've already had so much loss seem even harder to bear.  Thinking of you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:20:42 PM by Trustandlove »

E
Old Timer's Thread #6
#9: March 10, 2021, 10:57:50 PM
This is very sad news XY. I’m currently watching my old staffie girl roll around on the lawn. I was thinking just before I read your update, that it will be awful when it’s time did her to go. Sending big hugs.
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.