Skip to main content

Author Topic: MLC Monster a view into MLC from a MLCer

MLC Monster Re: a view into MLC from a MLCer
#80: August 22, 2014, 06:58:35 AM
Moment, thank you for sharing :)  I have not been on the site much( just a little breather needed)  and when I read this, honestly tears ran down my face as I saw my H !!!

We are reconciling and the explanation talks, the bits and pieces I am receiving/seeing are so very similar in J's description.  It could of been written by my H. Scary almost surreal.
Boundaries are as individual as the LBS and MLCer are so that discussion although good, some people will agree and some will disagree. :)
thanks again~ this is a wonderful site, hard habit to break !!
(hugs)
31andcounting
Hurting people hurt people :(

t
Re: a view into MLC from a MLCer
#81: August 22, 2014, 07:04:21 AM
Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe I shouldn't have continued seeing him.  Maybe I should have left him to himself.  Made him figure things out without me around.  I don't know.
Instead I remained in his life.

Thunder, I personally am not sure this has any bearing.  I am around my husband a lot (he still lives here). He is still in crisis and has been for a few years.  I give him PLENTY of space, but he is around.  I know other LBS who are in a similar time frame to mine who choose no contact with their MLCers and their MLCers is still in crisis. 

There is no one size fits all.  While the script is eerily similar, no crisis is the same.

• Mentor
#82: August 22, 2014, 07:04:35 AM
This whole issue of what a "boundary is" has me thinking. I tried to locate it in RCR's articles but cannot find specifically what I seek. Indeed, each LBSer can determine what she/he wishes to "tolerate". My example for me would be no contact if there was an OW.

Stayed stated:
As for boundaries.  Anything that prevents the LBS from constantly picking the scab off their wound and revving up their EXPECTATION LEVELS... is a good thing.

Agreed, but OP is insinuating that the LBSer can either speed up or slow down the crisis by setting boundaries.  I am not sure what specific things he means by that. I guess I am looking at more specific  examples of what boundaries could possibly make a difference in the outcome of the crisis. Perhaps setting rigid boundaries  might work in some cases but it may  also cause the MLCer to push further away if they think that the LBSer has set so many rules and boundaries that they are no longer approachable.

Every LBS has mentioned that when they WITHDRAW from their MLCer, he/she starts pursing, even you have noticed that Xyz.  Why do you think that is?  Our MLCer's are used to our unconditional love, attention and support, when we withdraw that... THEY NOTICE! 

Sorry, I have not noticed that Stayed in my particular case. I have withdrawn (that doesn't mean I am in no contact but there is no pursuit on my part) and it has not made any difference what so ever. Some of the contact that we have had over the years relates to major things like our daughter's wedding. Like you, I do not mean to be argumentative, but I remember us discussing that you would send you h emails from time to time, mainly discussing about the kids, sending him a picture of them now and then.

I get the impression that sometimes when we say set boundaries, that it means to go no contact and I think there is a difference between the two.

Boundaries are for ourselves.  If they help in ANYWAY to bring the MLCer out of the crisis... great... BONUS even!!!  The truth is, it doesn't matter as the LBS heals faster and better when they take control over their personal WELL BEING!

I totally agree and I think trusting also wrote the very same words. The boundaries that we set are for us, not to try and  change the outcome of the crisis.

What I take from this mans disclosures is more "proof" that the LBS, has to get on with their life.

Definitely in agreement. Our lives go on and too much time was wasted when the LBSer didn't have the energy to participate fully in life. Find your passions, go back to school, entertain friends, dance, howl at the moon.

However, and I may be the only one who thinks this,  but when I read "move on" or "get a life" it always seems to mean that you must seek a new partner in order to truly heal. It is great that this woman found a "new love" but then again who knows what type of marriage she would have had if she had been patient enough to wait for the crisis to end, for this man did want to come back, but as we often say, the LBSer has "moved on".
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

#83: August 22, 2014, 07:22:53 AM
I have no emotional attachment to the ending of your friend's story, moment.  Pain and anger don't play in, but curiosity about the process and what we as LBS should cultivate our hope from.  As I said in my post, I believe we should have a true vision of what we are standing for, no sugar coating.  Perhaps, at 37 months post BD, I'm just at a far enough place of detachment where once I would have read this differently than I do now, and maybe that comes off as criticism.  It DOES make me look at the last three years of my life and wonder what the best I can hope for is, based upon what is likely a very good recovery from a personal breakdown.  In that sense, I have no problem analyzing the heck out of it and I need to take off the rose colored glasses to do that.

My husband was also a practicing Zen Buddhist for most of our relationship, after being raised a preacher's kid, vegetarian, peaceful man - now an atheist redneck hunter.  I know the flip is real, so I hold back saying, "If finding the middle path was they way, why didn't he just do this after the bankruptcy?".  They can't, or they don't.  Could have - that's what is the saddest of all.  And therein lies the gray area that we all have to navigate through as we watch our spouses make bad choice upon bad choice, knowing how this movie is probably going to end in their crash.

So that is why I am more concerned with the wife's tale.  I am glad for all recoveries.  People should not hurt, certainly not over first world problems that are so far detached from our 'truest' selves on this planet, no matter what.  And I love a comeback story, even non-MLC.  But I think of how devastating it must have been for that woman to go through the bankruptcy, to see her husband lose his essence, to encourage him to find it even when the money was probably not there for the rock climbing, etc., to be the rock for her daughters, and then to lose him anyway.  To probably suffer in the divorce because the money was no longer there.  To have to build herself up from rock bottom. 

That's where we ALL are.  When people come here as they start down this road, we shouldn't gloss over the possibility of all of these things for us.  As stayed said, still, eyes stay on the MLCer, because we want the elusive hope to know we are standing for a potential reason.  I say then, if we're going to look, we need to look with realistic eyes about what is really in store for us should we get what we wish for.

I have had apologies from my husband, during the first year, and again at our divorce hearing (even though he couldn't say the word "divorce", just motioned to the paperwork and said, "I'm sorry for all this.").  Continues in replay without throwing a molecule toward making amends toward anyone, not just me, so I know he's not fully cooked.  I can't imagine a world where an apology would mean anything until several years after recovery.  That seems to be where your friend is and hopefully he has made amends in ways other than words as well.  I'm assuming that's what is implied here. 

I am on my own spiritual path, and have been carried by that - and I'm not saying we shouldn't view the spiritual aspect of this.  But as a mentor here I wouldn't counsel someone to embrace the struggles someone else is putting them through because it will ultimately make them a better martyr.  Their spiritual journey (or lack thereof) is their own business, and, as was the point of my original post, I do not believe that we must suffer for the redemption of someone else, not even our spouses, our children, our parents.  Sometimes I think in the relief of seeing a recovery we lose awareness of what it took to get there, and we owe it to the newbies at least (and some of us entering the longer end, too, myself included) to be blunt. 

One thing your friend said really did strike me, and that was his statement about the loss of innocence.  I have felt that so many times throughout this, that THAT is the biggest loss.  I mourn it, still.  Very good to see in print that one of them gets that, too.

Just to throw in on the 'can we shorten/lengthen' debate - Another "no" here.  Nothing we do affects the CRISIS of another person.  I would like to say our choices affect the likelihood or not of a reconciliation - but they don't do that either!  Peruse the reconciliation thread.  Talk to people here and elsewhere who are in the  process of being or have already reconnected.  Each story is unique, and I've yet to hear one where the LBS' actions signified any great change either way.  With clingers, yes, they react to distancing.  It DID become a game to me when mine was a clinger, I will admit that!  But even as a vanisher, I get on with my life and lo and behold, I'll still get the prank calls, the covert contact through my website or third parties checking on me - who knows what brings it on!?   Not me.  But he's still deep in as far as I know, so not contacting didn't magically cook him. ;) 

• Mentor
#84: August 22, 2014, 07:30:25 AM
The boundaries I have made were:

When my H wanted to go to a work party in the beginning of his crisis, I knew the house party was given by a woman (married and probably not interested) he worked with and he had asked to go running with him.
I asked him if he would have gone if he was still "happily" married?  He said..well no but we're getting a divorce.
I said...as long as we are STILL married and I am STILL your wife you will not disrespect me.  I think you can wait until you're single.
He never went and hasn't tried to do anything like that again.
My boundary was as long as we were still married I expected him to respect me as his wife.  What he did after the D was up to him.  I think it gave him a time line he could stick to.

I also stopped doing anything for him.  Nothing.  He wanted his freedom well doing things for yourself is part of that.  I wasn't his mother.  He had to face paying bills, washing his own clothes, etc., without any illusion I would do it for him.  He was divorcing me!  I no longer felt I needed to take care of him.

That's about it for me as far as boundaries.  I have made it known to him that if another woman comes into the picture I'm out of it.  He knows this because I did it with my first H.  He found an ow and I walked away.  Hurting but I never looked back.  He knows I don't share.

Not that this would stop him but it was worth saying out loud.  A little reminder.

I think boundaries can be for us or for them.  Just my opinion.
Sometimes they are meant to protect us from hurt and other times it is letting them know there is a line in the sand.

A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

t
#85: August 22, 2014, 07:40:11 AM
I think boundaries can be for us or for them.  Just my opinion.
Sometimes they are meant to protect us from hurt and other times it is letting them know there is a line in the sand.

Agreed.  I just don't think boundaries have any affect whatsoever on the crisis itself and the length of it. But yes, definitely if an MLCer chooses to honor them, certain behaviors may change. 

My husband was also a practicing Zen Buddhist for most of our relationship, after being raised a preacher's kid, vegetarian, peaceful man - now an atheist redneck hunter.

Good golly, Ready. It sounds like your husband must be having some sort of crisis of identity.   ;) 

Every LBS has mentioned that when they WITHDRAW from their MLCer, he/she starts pursing, even you have noticed that Xyz.  Why do you think that is?  Our MLCer's are used to our unconditional love, attention and support, when we withdraw that... THEY NOTICE! 

Sorry, I have not noticed that Stayed in my particular case. I have withdrawn (that doesn't mean I am in no contact but there is no pursuit on my part) and it has not made any difference what so ever. Some of the contact that we have had over the years relates to major things like our daughter's wedding. Like you, I do not mean to be argumentative, but I remember us discussing that you would send you h emails from time to time, mainly discussing about the kids, sending him a picture of them now and then.

I would have to say that I also have not noticed any sort of pursuit or distance thing going in my situation either.  Possibly at the very beginning of the crisis when the light from the beginning of the tunnel was brighter, if I would pull away he would pursue a tiny bit, but in the darkest part of the tunnel, no.  However, my husband definitely does cycle toward or away from me.  It just doesn't seem to have any relationship to my actions or lack thereof. I remain quite consistent - polite but distant. 

• When the world sends you lemons - make lemonade!
#86: August 22, 2014, 07:45:47 AM
Just my experience.....

When I withdrew.....(finally) - my MLCer vanished.  No pursuit.

Honestly, maybe that was what was going to happen (regardless) once we were divorced.  Who knows?

As for the LBS contributing to the length of the crisis?  I don't know.  I do believe staying in the drama feeds the energy...and feeds the Monster.

As far as the rest?  Quite honestly, I don't know if I care what my actions (or inactions) do for HIS crisis any longer. 

Now it is about me and my life.  His recovery (or not) is up to him.

Early on I "used" kindness as a manipulation to support his potential return.  Deep down I am still angry about it.  Deep down I am still very hurt.  Deep down I have a desire for "revenge" of some sort.  I don't know if those feelings will ever truly go away.  They have subsided and are not as strong as they once were.

Sometimes I think his miserable existence and the fact that his kids wants little (if anything) to do with him are enough.

JMHO.

L
M -62,  ExH - 69 (56 at BD)
M - 33 years (do the last 3 years count?)
D - 33, D -29, S - 29
BD 5/29/2010, Ran away from home - 8/15/2010,
Found out about affair - 2/11
H asks for divorce - 8/11
H filed for divorce 10/11
Announced "new" girlfriend 12/12 (3rd OW)
Divorce final 06/13 (I decided to finish it)
Dumped OW#3 9/15 (After 4 years)
Married OW#1 2019
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions For Newbies
The Mentor Program
Report Technical Problems

#87: August 22, 2014, 08:13:55 AM
Eh... I guess the boundary thing is pretty much a moot point with vanishers. Total silence for months. No amount of not pursuing on the LBS part seems to make a difference...

I think the thing is... boundaries need to be for us, for our wellbeing. If I were to keep thinking about my actions might push away or attract X I would go nuts... I can only focus on what's good for me.
Me: 26, Bf: 33, R: 9 years

BD 17 April 2014
OW confirmed 28 April 2014
Phone call: it's over, 3 June 2014
NC and doubt I'll ever hear from him again.

• Mentor
  • How I long for your precepts! Psalm 119:40
#88: August 22, 2014, 08:42:52 AM

OP, detach, let go and boundaries are not going to bring them out of crisis. Let alone vanishers. Vanishers have no contact with the LBS and their crisis only ends when it ends. Ironically I still think if I had not turned my uber clinger into a vanisher his crisis would had been shorter. Or maybe not.

Putting more pressure upon the already pressured and stressed LBS, give them one more thing to worry: enabling the MLCer depression, is not fair. And does not make sense. If MLC is an individual crisis and a MLCer is going to do what they will do no matter what, no point in adding to the LBS burdens by making a LBS feel like we are responsible for their depression. We are not. Nor for how long it lasts.

Anjae, Thanks for posting this.

I agree, we already struggle to carry on living with all that is thrown our way.

I find that I need to operate from my own stable center and I can't really pay much attention to the antics of my h. thinking up boundaries when he has his own firmly in place.

I firmly believe in building bridges and not putting up walls so I welcome any overture in my direction as long as it is non-monster!

Stayed stated:
As for boundaries.  Anything that prevents the LBS from constantly picking the scab off their wound and revving up their EXPECTATION LEVELS... is a good thing.

Agreed, but OP is insinuating that the LBSer can either speed up or slow down the crisis by setting boundaries.  I am not sure what specific things he means by that. I guess I am looking at more specific  examples of what boundaries could possibly make a difference in the outcome of the crisis. Perhaps setting rigid boundaries  might work in some cases but it may  also cause the MLCer to push further away if they think that the LBSer has set so many rules and boundaries that they are no longer approachable.

I get the impression that sometimes when we say set boundaries, that it means to go no contact and I think there is a difference between the two.

Boundaries are for ourselves.  If they help in ANYWAY to bring the MLCer out of the crisis... great... BONUS even!!!  The truth is, it doesn't matter as the LBS heals faster and better when they take control over their personal WELL BEING!

I totally agree and I think trusting also wrote the very same words. The boundaries that we set are for us, not to try and  change the outcome of the crisis.

What I take from this mans disclosures is more "proof" that the LBS, has to get on with their life.

Definitely in agreement. Our lives go on and too much time was wasted when the LBSer didn't have the energy to participate fully in life. Find your passions, go back to school, entertain friends, dance, howl at the moon.

However, and I may be the only one who thinks this,  but when I read "move on" or "get a life" it always seems to mean that you must seek a new partner in order to truly heal. It is great that this woman found a "new love" but then again who knows what type of marriage she would have had if she had been patient enough to wait for the crisis to end, for this man did want to come back, but as we often say, the LBSer has "moved on".

I really don't see how we influence when we are in our own sphere.

I also agree that the pursuit/distance dance is mainly for clingers. My h. does not seem to react to me but then I don't really do anything - over these years I have steadily withdrawn. I don't see any pursuit.

You are not the only one who has the impression that 'move on' and 'get a life' are often linked to getting a new partner.

I AM sad and I miss my h.,  it is no secret that I am standing for the restoration of my marriage, so seeking a new partner is off the books for me. However, that does not mean that my life cannot have meaning and purpose in the meanwhile.

M 61
H 61
S 31
D 28
BD 13 Dec 2010
Divorced 27 Feb 2015 (30 years marriage)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

a

a

#89: August 22, 2014, 09:06:46 AM
Hi All

Herewith part 2:  I am a little hesitant to post it as he does get quite philosophical - too explain this i need to let you know that some of the things he writes are from questions i had asked him both from a personal aspect as well as from a book that we were both reading at the time which had many theories by Carl Jung and Deepak Chopra's perspective on Carl Jung's theories.  Even though he writes it as one email he is answering these questions as he explains his journey

My road to recovery was not easy – even though I had hit rock bottom and realised my ‘new’ life was not what I wanted –  the urge to sooth the pain with the last binge drink or sex with a stranger were strong especially on days where the emotional pain got too much for me.  I cannot say the journey was without its slip ups but as I started to deal with the real issues behind my complete dissatisfaction with life so the addictive pull of my self–destructive behaviours lessened. 

I discovered that what I had expressed in my crisis came from an unconscious self I had developed to cope with some difficulties experienced in my childhood and later in my young adulthood.  To cut a long story short as a child i did not feel  my parents love and I often felt emotionally abandoned.  This is not an excuse for my behaviour my actions lie squarely on my doorstep.  However in my search to discover  why I behaved in a way so contrary to who I thought i was –brought me to a place where I had to figure out what my emotional pain was telling me and how it got there in the first place.  Emotional pain is the same as a physical pain it is there to alert you to a problem.  If you have a broken limb the pain will alert you to make sure you have it healed, well the same goes with emotional pain – it is there to alert you to a healing that is required.  This healing cannot be done through suppression or avoidance but rather by confronting and dealing with the cause of the pain.  In fact,  a person’s  self-destructive behaviours during  crisis is more like a person taking pain killers to alleviate the pain without treating the cause of the pain.

Dr Carl Jung stated “ Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions.”  For me my shadow developed during my childhood, it developed every time I felt unloved or abandoned for expressing a particular personality trait or emotion that my parents deemed as  ‘unacceptable’.  I have come to learn that I had spent a life time suppressing certain emotions in an attempt to become the person that I thought everyone expected me to be, especially my parents.  This started in my childhood where without intention my parents did not allow me to express certain emotional needs, and in so doing I began to see these emotions as a shameful part of me.  So instead of dealing with these emotions in an appropriate manner – how could I, I was a child and children do not have the skills to deal with their emotional needs -  I hid them in the dark crevices of my psyche, they became my shadow self, they became my shame, they became the demons which I came to fear.   I successfully managed to bury the demons in my unconscious for 41 years and deny that they were aspects of myself.  For 41 years I was the good guy, the upstanding guy – Mr. Dependable – the successful corporate guy with the perfect life.  As Carl Jung says “would you rather be the good person or a whole person”.  I was an incomplete being perceived as the good guy by all – and at times I even managed to convince myself of this illusionary self.

I have come to realise that I had nothing to be ashamed of, the darker qualities that were part of me are the opposites that enable me to recognise my higher self, my true goodness.  If I did not know cowardliness how would I recognise courage, if I did not know deceit how can I know truth, if I did not know dishonesty how would I know integrity.  We each have negative emotions that when they arise (or are reflected back to us through others in our surroundings) are there to be acknowledged, they are there to act as the guides to why you feel that way – your shadow is actually your friend not your enemy.  Like any story the villain makes the hero – in my crisis I became the villain in my life as I lived through the shadow.  Today I’m working at being the hero and it is an enriching experience, filled with hope and fulfilment.   By acknowledging and allowing those aspects of myself that I disliked to exist has encouraged me to deal with them in a more a constructive way – I have learnt to have compassion for myself and my human failings, and have stopped hiding behind a facade of expectation.  I’m beginning to live through conscious awareness as opposed to unconscious fear.  By being more aware of myself as a whole human being (with good and bad) I’ve begun to take leadership of my life as opposed to allowing myself to be led by those darker emotions into behaviours that are based on fear and as such  do not reflect my true self.  The thing to understanding myself as whole is as Deepak Chopra states  - to remove judgement and practice acceptance that everything in the universe works with polar opposites, electricity flows from positive to negative, there is day and night and so I’m both good and bad – it is what it is, it requires no judgement.  However, in order to live with joy and self-acceptance conscious choices about how I choose to express myself need to be made – I could either choose to live through the shadow which only yields self-loathing, loneliness, guilt, pain, and fear not only to myself but to the people i held most dear.  Or I can choose to live through a more authentic self, a self that uplifts the spirit and embraces a life of passion and joy .

My  crisis allowed many suppressed emotions to surface but instead of looking within I projected the blame onto my environment  – and mostly my wife.  She had let herself go since our youth, she had put on 30 pounds, and quite frankly was looking older.  I now know that my shame was more about my lack of self-worth, my sense of failure and I projected those feelings onto my wife and made this all her fault.  Other things I blamed her for was her lack of excitement, her disinterest in doing things with me and her focus on our daughters.  In my mind this gave me the excuse to flirt with another woman and start an affair.  If my wife was not going to validate me as I should be validated I was going to find someone else who would – I felt entitled, this was my God given right damn it – right? right!.  And so began the justification for my behaviour during my crisis. 

My wife’s initial emotional reaction to my affair while it made me feel guilty it also lent more evidence that I was doing the right thing, you see I would think and say – “she is difficult I cannot and should not have to live like this!!!!”.  As time went by my wife withdrew and stopped reacting, she started treating me with respect  and courtesy, this only exacerbated my resentment of her because she was no longer enabling my projections of everything being her fault.  You see I had set up my wife to fail she was dammed if she did and dammed if she didn’t.

I started to vacillate between guilt and avoiding the guilt by altering my projections and deciding that she was not really being kind she was using it to be manipulative – this view was encouraged by my affair partner and new friends, who would warn me about the woman ‘scorned’.  Yet apart from protecting herself and our daughters financially, my wife never became the vindictive scorned woman. So yet again it was just another projection as I had by now started to cheat on my affair partner and was being deceptive and manipulative towards her.  I would often lie about my marital status to these other women and in order to present the “good” guy image I would vilify my wife and caste the blame on her for our failed marriage.  Playing the heroic victim seemed to win me many points in luring woman to my bed and more importantly their understanding and empathy fed my need for attention and admiration which gave my failing self-esteem a temporary boost. 

Cheating on my affair partner did bring some guilt which I again justified by viewing the quality of our relationship as a trade off – she gave me everything I had complained about my wife not giving me – kinkier sex, thinner sexier body, participating in all my interests at the expense of her own – the trade off – I had money and paid for most things from expensive dinners to upmarket get always.  Furthermore, she had compromised her integrity by having an affair with me, like me she was not to be trusted, like me she had no honour – so she did not deserve my faithfulness.  I guess I blamed her for helping me break up my marriage.  And a deeper part of me knew that unlike my wife who fell in love with me when I was a penniless student with a beat up old car, who had loved me through my successes and failures – and still believed in me in spite of my failures – my affair partner being a young, corporate woman fell in love with the successful image I presented – so she ‘loved’ the image not the man behind the image.  My affair partner would not have given me a second glance if I had driven a moderate car instead of a luxury car or not spent the kind of money i spent on her – again a justification for my awful behavior.

I had become that comical pathetic middle aged guy who spends loads of money to keep a younger sexier woman at my side to show the world my success – no-one was fooled – I was like the proverbial teenager who takes up smoking to look cool – you fool yourself into believing the world is buying it, but the only people buying it are the parties involved - the rest of the world sees quite clearly through your pathetic attempts -  i had become a man trying to capture his lost youth and avoid the reality of aging and dying – how humiliating.

In truth my marriage may have had its problems but they were minuscule, the few problems that did exist could have been solved with some real honest talks.  Our marriage prior to my crisis was good – I trusted my wife, I loved her, she was my best friend and confidant (she had always supported me through thick and thin, through good and bad) and she knew me well, but at the time I was convinced I hated her. 

My lack of any happy memories during my crisis was a complete farce – I have a memory from one of the more earlier days (before the affair) when I came across a family holiday video – in it i was happy - i was goofing around with my wife and yet as i watched that man in the video clip he was a stranger to me.  That happy man could not be me as my memory served me I was unhappy for most of my marriage.  In the depth of denial I brushed off the video clip as a once off moment that was never repeated again during my marriage.  And yet there are albums filled with good times and many more videos that speak to a good solid and mostly happy marriage. That’s denial for you.

In the six years during the worst part of my crisis, I seldom visited my daughters I just could not stand seeing the haunted look in their eyes and so I made excuses not to see them.  During the two worst years of my crisis I only saw my daughters a couple of times two of which were on Christmas. My guilt over what I was doing to my wife and daughters overwhelmed me and sent me into overdrive abusing and using with higher intensity in an attempt to suppress the anxiety, the guilt, the loneliness and the sadness.  In my messed up mind I also managed to successfully blame them for this – so it was easy to justify to myself why I could not visit them – you see it was their fault they were making me feel bad about pursuing my life.  After all I was not stopping them from living their lives – these are the distortions of a mind living in crisis. My demons were well in control and I was merely their puppet.

Today, I write this in an attempt to take ownership for what I did by exposing my shadow to the light of knowledge and in so doing I have started to live a more fulfilled life – yes I regret losing the life I had – I realise it is what I wanted all along – with a few tweaks here and there.  My wife has lost the weight and has a new enthusiasm for life – she looks great.  She admits that she is grateful for my crisis because it forced her to take a good hard look at herself which enabled her to make the changes she had been putting off. She has made herself a priority in her life.  The contrast in how we both chose to deal with our pain amazes me, she chose a more conscious way to heal while I followed the more unconscious path – and there is a part of me that envies that she has less to be shameful of today. Although........ she often tells me this is my perception because she did go to the depths of despair too, she did experience her shadows and her shame, she felt her failure at losing me and our marriage.  None-the-less I can see she chose a more constructive path – I do not begrudge her this – it has made me more aware of her value as a mother to my children and it has filled me with pride that she was my wife and best friend because in her I also see that part of myself.

We both wish we could have somehow made these changes while remaining together.  I do not blame her for not wanting to reconcile – I know I broke it !! If the tables had been turned I wonder if I would have been as forgiving as she has been.  I suspect with all the demons that had been lurking in my psyche at the time I would probably have turned my back on her and not looked back.  My wife has been there in the background through all of this – in the beginning of my crisis, once she had stopped reacting, she made it clear if the time ever came when I needed her she would be there but as long as I was behaving in a self-destructive way and with so little respect for her and our daughters,  she would keep her distance – she was the only person I trusted enough to phone when I finally reached rock bottom. 

I have the deepest admiration for her strength of character and for her ability to forgive so completely.  I remember my 9th grade history teacher saying to our class when writing a test always trust your first answer it is invariably the correct one – well I should have trusted the first choice I made in terms of the woman I married and the family I created with her – they were the right choice.  What a pity that it is only hind sight that is 20/20.

Hope this answers some of your questions

take care
moment

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.