Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Just Looking for ideas

B
Discussion Just Looking for ideas
OP: November 08, 2020, 02:02:27 PM
I'm have lived a Nomadic life living in a custom showhauler (RV) for the last 15 years and love the life style.  I'm a pastry chef.  I mostly do seasonal work and will move somewhere to work for 6 to 9 months and them move back to the east coast for the winter.  I have been on the winning team of a few competitions and the primary chef in the top 10 of a few pastry competitions.

2018 in early I got divorced, no kids, and she was cheating on me.

Late 2019 my dad got sick and died.  I bought a duplex near my brother and remolded the one side for my mom and got her moved in.  I remodeled the other side for my brothers family and moved from his apartment.  I'm still living in the driveway as we get all the odds and ends finished.  I have been working part time as a baker for the last 14 months.

The only real jobs that I'm finding for 2021 (in the US) are in Alaska so far.  I'm not sure I want to work in Alaska again.  With the uncertainty from COVID it looks like a lot of the higher end seasonal jobs are going to get filled by locals this year.

I'm not near any good jobs that I want to work.
I'm kinda in a rut and have not been happy for the last 9 months or so.

I'm open for any advice. 

Re: Just Looking for ideas
#1: November 08, 2020, 02:59:14 PM
That's a toughie, BobA! It's great that you've had a lifestyle you love, though. Being mobile really does give you options (I hope, even in the age of COVID!).

I know some high end chefs selling their meal plans online, and sometimes doing the meal prep and delivery for private clients. Just throwing that out there. It's not my field, but I do marketing and content creation and love brainstorming, so I'm happy to jump in with a few things that come to mind. I don't know how entrepreneurial you might want to go, but the food truck industry still seems to be pretty strong here in the midwest.

B
Just Looking for ideas
#2: November 08, 2020, 04:37:50 PM
COVID has limited my traveling, but I have still been able to take some nice trips.  My mom has been on a few trips.

The food plans would I putout are for fattening people up in an unhealthy way.  I'm not sure that would work very well and I know most people would not be able to make the pastries and candies.

There is a lot of stuff that background stuff that goes into doing a food truck, not just the food truck it self.  Moving from with a food truck is not that easy.
Festivals are setup differently for the vendors.  I have done the festival circuit (worked for other people) a few times, but most festivals to iffy right now.

s
#3: November 08, 2020, 05:51:40 PM
When I met my MLCer, he was traveling and our lifestyle was pretty nomadic, moving every year or so and eventually settled back at his home country. We are always together and so, trying to get used to a life when we're not together has been really, really hard. It was a shock to me.

When we separated, I needed to GAL and started traveling and spending time outdoor and hiking more, which I loved! I met plenty of new friends this way too. Perhaps if you like camping/outdoor, spend more time outdoor for camping, hikes, road trips, traveling (probably not so much during COVID), fishing? Maybe online blog for your cool recipes?

After the separation, i forced myself to be independent, even more so than before. I got my own car, first time living on my own and most recently just purchased my own home after having to save my deposit (again) after the MLCer took half of it to spend on OWs / other MLCer fancy things. Once the dust settles, I am hoping to take on running/riding more seriously and enter duathlon/triathlon races when I am ready.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:53:10 PM by spock »
Together since 2009, 7.5 years
- PA with OW1 09/15 (BD1)
- EA with OW2 02/16 (BD2)
I moved out 07/16..

Just Looking for ideas
#4: November 08, 2020, 06:44:54 PM
Hi Spock.

What if you look for restaurants that are suffering from COVID. I am certain there are some people that would love to get out from under their businesses right now.  This could give you a cheap entry and help someone else out.
Together 12 yrs Married 5
5 kids 3- Step (21) (20) (18) Two together ( 8 ) (9)
BD1 March 2018 - I wish I could give you more of what you need
BD2 Aug 2018 - I want a divorce sent by text ILWYBNILWY

O/M Discovered Nov-18

Divorce final Nov-21

B
Just Looking for ideas
#5: November 09, 2020, 02:07:17 AM
I'm at the point that I'm used to being alone and it dose not bother me.

I'm getting out and doing some hiking, but mostly long bike rides right now.  There are to many people that can not wear a mask to begin with and most people are unable to wear a mask once there heart rat goes up a bit.

Restaurants are not my thing.  A low end job would be a baker for me.  Right now I'm working 4 six hour shifts making pastries witch I like.  A lot of years I end up working at a country club, resort, or a high end hotel.

With COVID I don't want to travel more than a few states away.  I also only want to work in 1 state a year due to taxes.

• Administrator
#6: November 09, 2020, 06:54:22 AM
Welcome to the Board

You are in a good place.
Your H/W  is on his/her own journey.
You can not do anything to control this trip.
Come here and read or vent, we will listen.
Give your H/W space  he/she needs to heal himself/herself.

I would not ask him/her anything unless you can have no expectations.
Sometimes asking them questions will be thought of as pressure.
You do not want to do anything that can be thought of by your H/W as controlling or pressure.

Your need to start working on you.
There is nothing that you can do to help your H/W.

He/She has given you a gift.
It is time!!

Use the time wisely to make yourself a better person.
Look in the mirror to see what it is that you can improve.
Take care of yourself, breathe, eat, sleep, exercise.
GAL.

Read some books on depression. Both for yourself! And for H/W.
Believe none of what he/she says and 50% of what he/she does.

Read the resources from this site.
The links that are in my signature.

Detach. - The single most important thing you can do

The detach link and HB's 6 stages of MLC(rewritten from Jim Conway) located in the resources above.
http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=4.msg380#msg380

Developing Detachment
http://jamesjmessina.com/toolsforcontrolissues/developdetachment.html

http://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/self-focus_releasers_detach.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14712-developing-detachment/

RCR has asked everyone to keep to one thread until  that thread is 150 posts

Keep posting and asking questions and we will try to answer them.

Knowledge is Power - Sir Francis Bacon

B
Just Looking for ideas
#7: November 09, 2020, 12:56:50 PM
I think my problem is I need a job that I will enjoy next year and in a place that has some sightseeing.

I'm all most done with test of a new cookbook and should have it finished by the end of the week.
I did order a bunch of stuff from the printer for my Etsy store.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.