Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Advice please?

M
  • Spouse of an MLC Husband, together 18 years.
My Story Advice please?
#40: September 10, 2023, 07:36:17 PM
Hello Everyone! I Need some advice of how to approach our situation this time. This is a little long so bear with me. Lol 
So my H came back home after he moved out for a month and a half.
A few weeks before he came home, he has been texting me everyday and even apologized for the way he has been talking to me. He even asked if our kids and I would want to go on a trip with him, I asked our kids first and they said Yes. And we went ahead with our plan and had a great time.
The day we got back from our trip, I asked him when would he come back to visit us again at our house and he said He doesn’t know when and asked why. I told him that the kids and I miss him. And was hoping he would come back home when he’s ready. And he had a huge smile on his face and said, you guys miss me? I said of course we do! And that’s how we ended our conversation that day.
The next night I came home from work, he was sleeping in our bed and brought all his belongings back. But the thing is, we haven’t had a chance to talk yet. I come home from work and he’s sleeping and by the time I get up for work, he’s already gone to go to work.

So how do I approach talking to him about what happened? I don’t know if we are back together, or he just moved back in but doesn’t see us back together, I don’t know if he’s still going through his MLC? Is he in acceptance stage? Or will the monster come back?
To be honest, I am scared. Like after the BD, how he treated me the past 4 months, how do we start again? How do I deal with this? How do i start the conversation? When can I have “the talk?” Should I wait? I want to set some boundaries this time because I don’t want to get hurt like that again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

(modified for ease of reading
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 03:50:04 AM by Songanddance »

R
Advice please?
#41: September 10, 2023, 11:15:59 PM
Mimosa, you might look at Evas' thread. She had a MLCer who came back home after only a few months.

I would say that any answer to your question needs to focus on how it helps you.

When do you want to have a conversation? What do you want to know for your own mental and physical health?

Remember that boundaries are based on your actions. If he does X, you do Y. It's the "you do Y" that you have control over. You don't have control of "if he does X". MLC teaches us that, that's for sure.

What do you need? Ask  yourself that.

"I need............"

Advice please?
#42: September 11, 2023, 03:18:24 AM
I agree with Reinventing that it might be useful to turn those questions on their head.

Why?
Bc you are unlikely to get useful answers from your h right now, which I think you know (or you wouldn’t be agonising about asking the questions).
Bc it isn’t just about what he thinks or wants….it’s about you and your children.
Bc focusing on him gives away your own agency and power….and he already did that by leaving and by returning without asking or agreeing a more clear arrangement.
Bc it’s ok to say no, not now, not like this. Bc it’s ok to think about what you need and want now. Or don’t. What is acceptable to live with. Or not.
Bc you can’t control his choices but you can control your own.
Bc he is showing through his actions what he feels works best for him….to slide back as if nothing happened and without talking about it or making a new ‘deal’ on what you should expect of each other from here on.

I imagine that must feel very unsettling for you. Like waiting for another unseen bomb to drop.

So let’s turn those questions around….and it’s ok to take your time and not jump into action. (Anxiety and uncertainty tends to make us want to jump into action, doesn’t it?) and the only opinion that matters is yours bc it’s your life.

I don’t know if we are back together, or he just moved back in but doesn’t see us back together? Do you think you are back together? And what does that answer mean for what feels ok or not ok as a way to live?

I don’t know if he’s still going through his MLC? What does his behaviour look and feel like? How close to ‘normal h’ does he seem? What if it wasn’t an MLC at all? What difference does the answer make to you?
Is he in acceptance stage? As above? There’s a saying here that if you’re confused, they are still MLCish. You might want to go back and reread some of the MLC descriptions….does he look like someone who is in that place of deep reflection?
Or will the monster come back? To be honest, I am scared. What are you most scared of? What do you see and hear that triggers fear? And how might you protect yourself, based on what you have learned so far? What would make you feel safer, regardless of what happens?
Like after the BD, how he treated me the past 4 months, how do we start again? Do you want to? Do you feel ready to? Do you feel able to? What would feel like a first small step in that? What would he need to do differently that would feel as if he was doing his part of that? What are you prepared to do or not do yet?
How do I deal with this? What is ‘this’? And what would ‘dealing with it well’ look like to you?
How do i start the conversation? When can I have “the talk?”  What is stopping you from starting it? Do you know what you are trying to achieve? Or what you will do if it doesn’t unfold the way you want? What do you fear if you do or you don’t?
Should I wait? What do you feel you are waiting for? What might happen if you do nothing?

You will see that these questions now are not about him, they’re about you.
Which doesn’t make them easy questions so you might want to breathe and take your time.

Boundaries are not about what other people do or say….they are essentially about  what feels ok to you as a way to live and what does not. And you can’t have them without answering the basic question of what feels ok enough to you right now. And what absolutely does not, for you and your kids. Do you know? If not, I’d hold any big conversation until you feel clearer about that.

Bc one of the things that goes along with our own boundaries is that other people don’t have to like them, agree with them or act in a way that respects them. Just that the price of a ticket into our lives includes them  :)…..if you’re not ok with the price, that’s ok but then you are not included. I think honestly that this is one of the biggest barriers to acting on our own boundaries….we fear the other person saying No and what we will need to do then to respect our own needs and wants. We fear what might happen if we have boundaries….or we might have convinced ourselves over time that it is not nice or kind or fair or reasonable to have them. Or that we’ll be rejected if we do.

And truthfully, boundaries are not about words, they are about actions, our actions. In all walks of life, we have them, but sometimes we don’t know what they are until someone gallops across them. So, let’s say, if you were in a store and a stranger just went in your purse bc they wanted some spare change to pay the cashier…you’d probably be pretty shocked, right? But you might feel quite comfortable offering a stranger some extra cash if you see that they had forgotten their purse or were a couple of dollars short? Or you might not….bc people have different versions of what feels ok or inappropriate in given circumstances. But, in the store situation, your response would communicate your boundary….we show people what we will accept from them really rather than tell them. Same with kids….we can use a million words lol, but they learn from our responses what we actually find ok or not ok as a parent. And what happens next - which they may or may not like much - if they choose the ‘not ok’ behaviour.

What do you think your behaviour right now is communicating to your h and your kids and yourself about where your boundary lines are, about what is ok and what is not? How close is that to your actual boundaries? Or where you want them to be?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 03:32:29 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

K
Advice please?
#43: September 11, 2023, 06:14:56 AM
My immediate response to him showing up in your bed, unannounced, without speaking with you, or asking if it is what you would like, or even if it's OK with you - in other words, being completely insensitive to your feelings without any kind of mutual respect - is - Wow, how arrogant. How selfish and entitled.  You said you missed him, you did not invite him back into your intimate space. I understand that everything looks different closer up, and you know all the nuances of your situation, so I don't mean to trash your H, but, to you, do his actions suggest that he is thinking about your feelings? If the answer is no, well, that's a good indication that he is still self-absorbed, aka not mentally well (assuming he was not like this before). His wishing to sweep it under the carpet. Ditto. Treasur has thrown some great questions out there. From my experience, it is near impossible to get any clear-eyed perspective in the wake of BD.  I may well have let my H sneak back under the duvet too  ;) - I'm not sure, but I do know, some detachment really helps us understand how we want to move forward and what a reconnection might look like to us. You've not had the time and space to do this yet - your still proverbially firefighting. If you find a way to can create some distance from your H's emotions to properly be able to reflect on your feeling, things will likely become clearer to you.

W

WHY

Advice please?
#44: September 11, 2023, 07:45:06 AM
I think it's also more than likely he will leave again based on the way he returned.  So please prepare yourself and dont get your hopes up.  Take it day by day. 

S
  • Mentor
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
Re: Advice please?
#45: September 14, 2023, 03:55:58 AM
do his actions suggest that he is thinking about your feelings?

Excellent question.

If the MLCer is only thinking about him/herself then he is very much in escape and avoid phase.  Knowing that he was "missed" would have given him the impetus to carry on doing what he wants to do.   

MLCers become quite narcissistic and selfish and only they matter.

Boundaries are for you BTW and not for him.

Could he leave again - yes he could.  Remember MLC is rooted in depression and depressed people never want to be where they are right now.  They may seem jovial and light-hearted but it's all an act.

Please keep bright, breezy and detached with him and do not commit to any R talks just yet.  Actions will always speak louder than words.
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017.
Separated 2022 (my choice because he wanted to live alone) and yet fully reconnected seeing each other often.

M
  • Spouse of an MLC Husband, together 18 years.
Re: Advice please?
#46: September 16, 2023, 11:40:13 AM
Thank you so much for your replies! I apologize for not replying right away, I have been very busybat work.

! I have been very, very cautious of dealing with my H. haven’t discussed the word R yet, and he hasn’t apologized. I definitely have my guard up. But, lately he has been showing some improvement, He has been helping with chores again, he’s been thanking me for even the smallest thing I do for him and even saying ILY and said that he missed me. He spends more time with our kids again, always showing initiative when it comes to spending time with them. I can see the old him more and more everyday but I still don’t expect anything. I guess only time will tell.

What happened to us has made me realize that I don’t need him to make myself happy, I have my kids,  my Family and friends. And if in the future,  he still decides to D me, I will be okay with it. For four months and even now, i worked really hard to find myself again, to bring back the old, independent Me. I thought for a long time, he was the only one who can make me happy. I was very attached to him. I can be happy with or without him. I realized that. So for now, I will take it day by day, whichever path my life goes,I will be happy if we get back together and start fresh. and I know now I too can be happy happy without him.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.