Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Forum Problems

H
Off-Topic Re: Forum Problems
#150: August 13, 2018, 07:13:30 AM
I thought I was the only one having issues.
No I dont.feel like such a dummy.

Re: Forum Problems
#151: August 13, 2018, 07:18:13 AM
Using desktop here. Tiny sized Comic Sans font with no options in the Look and Layout setting to change anything.

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#152: August 13, 2018, 07:28:41 AM
OK, for what it is worth, I looked at it on my Phone (Android 8  ) using Chrome as the browser and it is quite nice. The font is arial so it is readable, it fits on a single vertical OR horizontal screen and is quite responsive...

It is, of course, headache-inducing blue so I will NOT be looking at it in the evening as blue is a color that interferes with sleep...

So, in short, the mod used for mobile seems to be working except for the blue color.... What it has done for the PC-based version is an abomination with comic sans as the default font and a font pitch of 8 (tiny)...
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

R
  • MLCer Type: Off-N-On
  • MLCer is in high energy replay.
#153: August 13, 2018, 07:51:18 AM
Yes! Back in business! Thank you OP!!  :D

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#154: August 13, 2018, 07:56:42 AM
Colors can be changed without affecting anything else.  Members were complaining about the awful font, and the theme looked quite different overall.  I'm not concerned about customizing the theme, would like to come up with a decent mobile version that everyone can use.  This one looks a lot better and more functional than responsive curve.  Let's let it run until tomorrow, get some feedback from mobile users.

Post the links (just the urls) for the buttons you want to add, I'll do the code for you.  There's a mod that adds menu buttons, but it's really not necessary once you know how to do it.  In php (and javascript) you have to escape quotes that are inside an echo statement or text string, like this -

Code: [Select]

'title' => 'Hero\'s Spouse'

Just put a backslash in front of it.  Opening delimiter is single quote, so next single quote the compiler sees is closing delimiter unless it's escaped, it breaks the string and crashes the script if it's not immediately followed by valid php code.
I was tinkering with different fonts and went to bed leaving a serifed font up and had not gotten to changing it yet, though I did not like the sanserif font that was and is default now--it seems similar to comic sans (Oh, just saw that Ursa said it is comic sans). But switching the font is not hard to do once I figure stuff out--since I have been practicing on the test forum. I think Verdana is nice and basic and people are used to it since it is so common. I agree that it is also too small.

I knew there was a way to include the apostrophe, just didn't know what it was!

Here are the button links I would like:
Title: Main Site OR Hero's Spouse Home
Link: https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/

Title: Blog
Link: https://loveanyway.theherosspouse.com/

I saw a few mods and figured the same thing...why add a mod if I can learn to do it myself.

Can you stop with the changes? Many of us do not use the forum on a mobile. You, and RCR, are too worried with mobile user, neglecting the rest of us who do not use the board on a phone.
No. This is not about anyone being worried. It is about creating a site that ALL users can access AND that Google thinks they can access. A responsive theme is meant to change according to the device the user uses--meaning it does the opposite of neglect, it considers everyone's viewing experience. Since many mobile users were able to view the site fine it is more about Google. They rank sites according to mobile friendliness--responsive design. Our original theme did not rank well even though it was working for many mobile users. It is important that people are able to find us and for that I need to please not only our human users, but Google.

The design process will settle into something workable, but while trying goes on, there may be times of difficulty.
I am working on a test forum to avoid bothering anyone and breaking the site, but Sir Osis need feedback from mobile users and he knows what he is doing (unlike me ;D ).

This responsive nightmare is something I need to do fix at the main site too. This blue theme passes at Google. I don't like the colors either, but now that I know how to change them, it's not going to be a big deal. I won't change the colors until we decide on an actual theme that can work for everyone because I don't want to waste my time changing things over and over.

I also am not yet great at changing colors. I have the basics, but cannot tell what piece of code changes what--sometimes I can tell, but it is amazing how many colors are in the design. Just to see I copied the code and removed everything but color codes and counted them. There were maybe 20-30 that were just shades of green--many that looked almost the same. I personally don't want that many variances of the same color. I have a design file where I keep my brand colors and accents and I think I should add the more muted/greyish greens to that file.

At my test site I got some (SOME) buttons changed. It was so easy. I changed the background and hover. I did it in two places for each--background and hover, but later when I did find for the color code I only found it once...so I'm really not great at this yet! I also have one set with one background/hover and the other set is reversed! that in itself means to me that those colors are in there twice!

This stuff is not meant to be a big deal to users because it is supposed to be unnoticeable. Design should be so natural that you don't think about it and thus you don't need to care, it's only when there are problems that it becomes noticeable.

Okay, I just went and checked the box that allows everyone to choose their own theme, but when I hit save and it refreshed, the box was unchecked still--tried again in case my fingers had slipped and got the same result. So don't know what's going on there.

#155: August 13, 2018, 08:00:04 AM
I just don’t understand any of this computer speak!!!

It’s making my brain hurt!

X

#156: August 13, 2018, 08:02:17 AM
I just don’t understand all this technical stuff

It’s just making my brain hurt and the site is awful to use!

Someone please sort it out!

#157: August 13, 2018, 08:08:52 AM
I can’t even log out now!!!

H
#158: August 13, 2018, 09:12:33 AM
All I use is my phone. So I'm patiently  waiting, haha

#159: August 13, 2018, 09:14:49 AM
Thank you OP!

I thought I was going to have to leave the forum....I couldn't read a thing!
(hugs)
Hurting people hurt people :(

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.