Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Old Timers thread 4

Discussion Re: Old Timers thread 4
#90: January 22, 2019, 09:32:23 AM
I had a box, full of journals from "that" time..perhaps 14 in all...I had marked the box "private, do not read" and I have never gone back and read any of the journals. I did not want anyone to ever read them..especially our daughter.

I just spent an hour with my shredder. Ripping, shredding, emptying into one large garbage back and finally placing it all in the trash. It is a very positive thing for me to have done.

As I was updating some computer files today, I noticed my "journals" from "that" time. I journaled heavily, probably almost daily for over 2 years, plus all my writing on HS. I was so much in shock, so manic then. I would wake after two hours of sleep, jump out of bed, & a stream of thoughts & feelings would pour out. I could remember conversations with H nearly verbatim hours later & document them all. My obsessive mind would be going crazy as I drove & I would pull over & jot things in little notebooks. It's funny that I had never journaled before & really don't anymore.

This post from XYZ came to mind then today & I wondered. What have others done with journals from "that" time? I haven't yet wanted to destroy them. I feel I want to document what MLC is & how it affects others. Although HS does that in a global fashion.

Being interested in genealogy, I often wonder about the private lives of my ancestors & I want to leave some personal explanation for why our family was broken at this point. Something more interesting than the hard facts of HT & H married 1974--divorced 2015.

My children? They know most of it. I probably talked too much to them at the time. We were all in such shock & wondering what had gone wrong with H. They were adults at the time. But them reading it all over again years later? Do I want that?

What have others done? What are your thoughts?

Hugs All,
HT
Detach and Survive: A Book of Self-Care for the Wives of Midlife Crisis Men
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing, Susan Anderson
Healing the Shame that Binds You, John Bradshaw
The Addictive Personality, Craig Nakken
https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M'ed 41 years
BD-Jan 2013
Legally separated Feb 2013
D'ed without my consent July 2015
H M'ed OW Sept 2015

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Re: Old Timers thread 4
#91: January 22, 2019, 09:54:40 AM
My journalling came out in the form of songs. They form a chronology of the my journey. They blend pain, humor and creativity and I will not destroy them.

As for regular journals, they too are a blend of pain, humor and creativity. I say keep them but package them with a warning that they contain information that cannot be unknown and will likely be painful. But, those journals may save a future descendant from even further pain. Let me explain:

I found hundreds of pages of microfiched court testimony from my grandparents´divorce. Without that, I would not have understood the dysfunction that carried on down to the next generation. It explained many hurtful family behaviors- did not excuse, but explained. That knowledge, while painful, let me let go.

My two cents.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

• Mentor
  • How I long for your precepts! Psalm 119:40
#92: January 22, 2019, 09:57:48 AM
HT,

I had a box, full of journals from "that" time..perhaps 14 in all...I had marked the box "private, do not read" and I have never gone back and read any of the journals. I did not want anyone to ever read them..especially our daughter.

I just spent an hour with my shredder. Ripping, shredding, emptying into one large garbage back and finally placing it all in the trash. It is a very positive thing for me to have done.

As I was updating some computer files today, I noticed my "journals" from "that" time. I journaled heavily, probably almost daily for over 2 years, plus all my writing on HS. I was so much in shock, so manic then. I would wake after two hours of sleep, jump out of bed, & a stream of thoughts & feelings would pour out. I could remember conversations with H nearly verbatim hours later & document them all. My obsessive mind would be going crazy as I drove & I would pull over & jot things in little notebooks. It's funny that I had never journaled before & really don't anymore.

This post from XYZ came to mind then today & I wondered. What have others done with journals from "that" time? I haven't yet wanted to destroy them. I feel I want to document what MLC is & how it affects others. Although HS does that in a global fashion.

Being interested in genealogy, I often wonder about the private lives of my ancestors & I want to leave some personal explanation for why our family was broken at this point. Something more interesting than the hard facts of HT & H married 1974--divorced 2015.

My children? They know most of it. I probably talked too much to them at the time. We were all in such shock & wondering what had gone wrong with H. They were adults at the time. But them reading it all over again years later? Do I want that?

What have others done? What are your thoughts?

Hugs All,
HT

I have wondered recently about this - my current feeling is that I want to get rid of all the physical, written evidence of the very broken person I was eight years ago... I don't even think that my rather incoherent, ramblings are of any value to anyone :( There are of course, letters (e-mails) that I wrote to people at the time in different parts of the world, and, the enormous amount of postings on here and a few on Rejoice Marriage Ministries. The electronic backlog is difficult to get rid of - the emails I sent, they are like the proverbial stones thrown... you don't get them back.

I find reading what I wrote on HS eight years ago painful enough, I can't imagine going through the notebook I filled in the year after BD.

I guess I shall destroy it along with other MLC related material when I get round to remodeling my bedroom ::)

Just how I feel about it but haven't acted on it yet :P
M 61
H 61
S 31
D 28
BD 13 Dec 2010
Divorced 27 Feb 2015 (30 years marriage)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

#93: January 22, 2019, 10:17:12 AM
I have my journals too. Like you, journaled like a mad woman in the early hours for probably a couple of years...
Haven't read them. Initially they would have been too painful to read; now they feel like old news bc that is where I was not where I am.
Don't know if I will or if I will just destroy them at some point. Guess I assume I'll know when I know.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

D
#94: January 22, 2019, 10:39:20 AM
Use them to write a book, Treasur.  I think a lot of people would read it.
M=51
W=47
D=8
BD Feb 17 Thinking of divorce
Atomic BD June 17 Spying revealed OM at work
Still home.  Threatened to leave several times and has asked me to leave about a dozen. 
Says divorce proceedings will start Jan 18.
She has scheduled mediation Feb 7,  2018
I moved out March 16, 2018
Several mediations, mostly instigated by me.  Foot dragging by STBXW.  Nothing filed. Yet.
5/2019 STBXW filed D behind my back despite signed agreement to mediate.
I retain attorney.
STBXW still hasn't told me and no further action.
Elephant in the room has been addressed.  No further action atm.  Weighing my options.
12/16/19  She files financial paperwork.  Divorce proceeding.

#95: January 22, 2019, 10:45:47 AM
Funny you should say that, Dis..... :)
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

• Mentor
#96: January 22, 2019, 10:55:51 AM
If I am honest with myself, I probably keep the journals so maybe one day if my H ever came back I would want him to read them and get some idea of how hurt I was.
They were painful pages to read.  He could see how badly he hurt me.

But not that long ago I tossed them all, after reading them.  I have no desire to have him or anyone else read them.

The woman who wrote those journals is not me anymore.  I felt very sorry for her.

A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

#97: January 22, 2019, 11:47:54 AM
I got rid of my journals of the time long ago and now I always get rid of a journal once it is filled. Before MLC I kept my journals.

I have some poems from after BD, but people don't manage to know what they are about.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

#98: January 23, 2019, 07:38:00 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your replies.
I say keep them but package them with a warning that they contain information that cannot be unknown and will likely be painful. But, those journals may save a future descendant from even further pain. Let me explain:

I found hundreds of pages of microfiched court testimony from my grandparents´divorce. Without that, I would not have understood the dysfunction that carried on down to the next generation. It explained many hurtful family behaviors- did not excuse, but explained. That knowledge, while painful, let me let go.
Yes, I definitely think the past can help those in the future. I wish there was more personal documentation in families. It has to be read with compassion & context, knowing this is likely not the full story, but I feel my story is worth preserving for those purposes.

...my current feeling is that I want to get rid of all the physical, written evidence of the very broken person I was eight years ago...
Oh, Mitz, but look at the journey & what you have become! Such a strong woman. You deal with your MLCer & the interactions between your children & their father more than most of us. We were all completely broken. It's what this does to a loving partner.

If I am honest with myself, I probably keep the journals so maybe one day if my H ever came back I would want him to read them and get some idea of how hurt I was.
They were painful pages to read.  He could see how badly he hurt me.
But not that long ago I tossed them all, after reading them.  I have no desire to have him or anyone else read them.
The woman who wrote those journals is not me anymore.  I felt very sorry for her.
Yes, Thunder, that was one of my reasons as well. When I really did believe he would be coming back, I thought the journals could help in the counseling sessions we would have. As time goes on & I believe less & less in any sort of restored R, that is less of a reason to keep them. Even if that situation presented itself, so much time would have passed &, as you say, we have become different people.

I did read through what I had written, probably when the journaling was slowing down & I was strong enough not to be completely triggered by the memories. I was a very broken person for a long time after BD. So unlike my usual self it astounded me. But I am not ashamed of that. It humbled me, it made me more compassionate for what other broken people have suffered. That we never know what obstacles others are trying to overcome.

My journal files are arranged in kind of a weird way. My present plan is to (eventually) reorganize the files, read them, & print them out. I'll place them in a sealed package, with perhaps the "warning" label FTT suggests, placing them with my other "important papers". I kind of like the idea of a granddaughter or great-granddaughter, or great-great niece reading it as kind of a personal/historical document.

Hugs All,
HT
Detach and Survive: A Book of Self-Care for the Wives of Midlife Crisis Men
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing, Susan Anderson
Healing the Shame that Binds You, John Bradshaw
The Addictive Personality, Craig Nakken
https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M'ed 41 years
BD-Jan 2013
Legally separated Feb 2013
D'ed without my consent July 2015
H M'ed OW Sept 2015

#99: January 23, 2019, 09:28:26 AM
I had taken some time to look through my journals at the time my MLCer was filing for divorce. Once the divorce became final I discarded all the written material with the exception of spreadsheet indicating how much time he had spent with our daughter. I had six years of documentation - Year 3 was his best year. He’d spent 12 days (288 hrs! ) with his daughter and that was only because he took her on a cruise for his brothers wedding. I kept the documentation just incase he comes out of his tunnel and wonders why his relationship with his only child is fractured.
Btw his next top year was 27 hours, this included watching her play softball   ::)

Recently when I heard he was remarrying, I collected all my jewelry he’d given me over the years and packed it away in the safe. My daughter can have it if she ever feels like it.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.