Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Old Timers thread 4

S
Discussion Re: Old Timers thread 4
#100: January 23, 2019, 06:30:09 PM
Hello All.

Had to sit today and quickly calculate how long since BD and H ran away.  In the realm of healing I think that is pretty good.  Not to say that rawness isn't just below the surface. 

Realized that I can maybe join this thread - does almost 7 years qualify?  Unbelievable and how fast the time really has flown by. 

H is still a Vanisher and rarely a word heard from him.  That's okay.  The odd time he would emerge and leave a voicemail on Father's Day :o, telling the kids he was calling as he was "sure they wanted to wish him a Happy Father's Day!!!"  To me that says it all and an indicator of his mental health and lack of well-being, who does that?  No communication otherwise or child support, but the odd random Father's Day message out of the blue seemed okay to him.

Probably still living far away with OW where nobody knows the real story (not even her) and believed his lies.  Now I'm sure nobody asks or even cares, not that they did in the first place.  He is a likable guy and probably laid his sad story on quite thick at the beginning.  Those people all deserve each other.

Agree with Learning:

I would never take my x back. I don't want to constantly be looking over my shoulder. I don't have it in me to mend what went wrong any longer.

Come on here and read HS posts from time to time, but rarely comment anymore - I have my reasons.

Day to day life is good, we made it, we survived.  Weeks can go by without a thought of H and he hasn't been at the forefront of my mind for a long time now.  Hard to believe he was ever part of our family at times.

Still believe that one of the best things for anyone new going through this is to "live like they are never coming back".  Best advice ever.  Helps you detach and focus on you and your journey, regardless of what they are up to.

Not sure what life is like for H, or even if he is still alive (no Father's Day call this year ::)) or still married to OW.  I think in a way the jolt of that event, finding out her existence during the very same phone call he announced their marriage, helped with detachment and in turn healing.  We all have boundaries and I think mine was that once another woman is involved, regardless of the reason, then I'm done.

I am happily living the single life and wouldn't change it for the world.  I would never want to go back to how it was.  Have my independence and pay my way, while still keeping a roof over our heads.

We are a fabulous LBS bunch and need to always remember how tough we are, along with many other great qualities not always recognized or appreciated by those we love.

Hugs to all.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

Re: Old Timers thread 4
#101: January 23, 2019, 07:35:25 PM
 Hi Snowdrop,

Nice to see you post and of course you qualify as an old timer. Yes sometimes not getting what you thought at one time you wanted is a blessing. Glad to hear you are doing wonderful.

Yes should be the hard fast rule. Another woman/man is in the picture you are out. Depends on just how complicated things are. Everybody has to go through the process until they reach that "they have had enough point".

I know I won't ever put up with being cheated on or abused again. I'll be out so fast anybody's head would spin.

Actually there's quite a few things I won't put up with, and being disrespected is a big one.

Don't be stranger :)
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

M
#102: January 24, 2019, 03:15:35 AM
Thank you for updating, Snowdrop. It's good for us to hear that we can reach a place of happiness without our Hs and single.  Sad for your H that he still doesn't want a relationship with his kids.
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

#103: January 24, 2019, 12:26:42 PM
Hi, Snowdrop.

Nice to read you and to know you are doing well. Thank you for the update.

Your ex-husband is quite a vanisher.

Yes, live like they aren't coming back is a good say. So is one day at a time and focus on ourselves.

The more old timers who haven't been around for long come by and post, the more we realize MLC does take many years for a great number or MLCers.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

L
  • Mentor
#104: January 25, 2019, 03:26:29 PM
Hi Snowdrop, glad to hear you have put your life together in a most satisfying way. Being single is not so bad. You have learned to enjoy your own company. And should another person interest you, you will be ready to let them in.

HT, regarding the journals, I agree with FTT that leaving some history might be beneficial. I, on the other hand, burned and shredded most everything. I reread it, was glad I did, stored away important facts that I had completely forgotten about and then destroyed the physical parts.

I also agree with Thunder that we have become completely different people. If I met my xH now, I think I would find him a completely boring @$$hat. ;D
trying2bok

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#105: January 25, 2019, 05:53:21 PM
Snowdrop, thanks for checking in. Good to know that you are now in the thrive versus survive zone.
Have your kiddos left the nest? You had been signing up for some sort of classes as I recall- did you do that?

Your ex lost out big time.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

S
#106: January 26, 2019, 03:46:57 PM
Hi everyone.

Thank you for the nice words - same people who helped me when I first came onto HS :).

in it - agreed with all you said.  Lots of lessons learned.  Knowing what you will and won't tolerate is huge and yes, we all have boundaries and once crossed we owe it to ourselves to say I'm done, whereas we tend to give one more chance and fall for the "sorry I will never do it again".  Regardless of the situation, MLC or not, once H invested in another partner I would have been done.

Milly - yes it is nice to be okay with being single.  I do wonder though if it came "easier" to me as I have always been independent since childhood circumstances dictated it was the only way to go.  In one way when H left I felt more like the real me came back.  I don't need anyone to validate me or need to be part of a relationship to feel whole, so maybe that was an advantage.  Doesn't mean it didn't hurt and it was easy, not at all, and in our case we got BD and within minutes he was taking boxes out the door and gone, so a huge thing to deal with, as it is for us all.  Dreadful.  I often think of the families who are about to go through this and the shock and pain of it all, and how they probably have no clue about what is heading their way.  So, so sad.

Anjae - yes to all.  Definitely focus on ourselves and bit by bit the other stuff starts to consume us less.  Takes a while.  I think we have to acknowledge all the pain like grieving a death and don't try to skip any of the stages, and only then can we move forward.  It really is like a death isn't it, but as we all know, hard to grieve when that person is still alive and ready to dish out more pain.  We can grieve the death of the relationship and make way for a healthier future whether it be alone or with someone new.

Yes H ran fast and never looked back.  New wife, life, new identity, nobody to question him.  Perfect conditions for someone in MLC.  We aren't done yet though and I know all the fear and anxiety will come flooding back.  We still live in our home.  He withheld all money hoping to squeeze us out and it didn't happen.  I took over the bills and have been paying them all since he left.  He and OW were hoping we couldn't afford to stay and be forced to sell.  He hasn't made any payments towards anything so I guarantee they are sitting back waiting for their payday and see I'm helping their investment get bigger while I continue to pay all bills and the house is worth more.  I truly feel he hasn't attacked yet as his investment grows.  Once S reaches 18 this year I think he will contact us.

Dreading that and feel sick at the thought although one time he did call here a few years ago and I remember telling myself after we hung up that I have nothing to fear, he is a weak man.  He had the nerve to call and insist we had a talk on speaker phone with OW in the room - I said pick up the phone - and he did ;) bet OW wasn't happy about that - too bad.

He's lucky we didn't get further in the courts as they would have taken away his drivers licence and passport and put his mugshot up on the deadbeat dad page.  Now he has citizenship in OW country so he doesn't care, nothing will affect him.

He does feel I'm sure that he can demand the house sale and he will walk away with half.  Nope, not going to happen.  I will fight it.  Hasn't paid a dime in years towards me, the kids or the house. 

Of course like everyone else, I would look at the estimated time it took for MLC and hoped we were on the shorter end.  Him being a vanisher helped tremendously.  At first I felt we needed him back to be complete.  As mentioned before, I knew of OW existing at the same time he told me they got married, so that in itself is a huge jolt towards detachment.  No other option.

Learning - yes, funny how things work out isn't it.  Happy doing my own thing and not looking for anyone.  If they appear then great we can see where it goes, but I don't have any interest in seeking out a new relationship.  Nice if it comes my way but if not then I'm more than okay.

FTT - Yes, wow, great memory.  Went back to school to get a course I could use to apply for work after being a stay home mom for many years.  Got a job right afterwards and never looked back.  Still in same job and love it.  Took over paying bills.  Oldest in the class but got the best marks and the best job - yay me!  Not what H had hoped for I'm sure.  Wanted us out the house so he could get his payday.  Sorry H, didn't happen as you planned.

Sadly D who is now 20 has taken after her father and is now a vanisher.  We were all so close, the two kids and I, then bit by bit she stopped coming home and a couple of years ago did as he did, came home to get some "stuff" and gone.  I was heartbroken as she wouldn't even let me know if she was okay, stopped all communication.  Very sad as we were so close.  Had to wonder if it was all due to me and she said it wasn't, as did S.  Not sure what happened but shes done exactly as her dad did.  Even seemed okay not returning calls after I left messages sobbing and wondering where she was.  All so sad and gut wrenching.  Again I had to stay back and let her do her thing.  I miss her terribly.  I do now get the odd text and she explained she was trying to figure things out and her future - she has a bf and we live in a big city.  She was in Uni then after a year and a half stopped that.  Giver her credit for not pursuing something that wasn't feeding her soul.  Hoping this is all temporary and she wants to be in touch.  Nothing I can do till then.  She came home for one night early last year and apologized and swore she would never do it again, took some of her stuff and nothing heard till she needed some paperwork.  Wow - sounds exactly like the behaviour of many MLCers on here.

S is at home still - he won't be going far.  He's a handful at times too but he's alive and a teen dealing with teenage stuff in a single parent home with no other family or adults around.  He's a good kid with his own struggles - has a gf so hardly see him, but overall I think he's content.  Tracked down his father a few years ago so he could tell him what kind of person he has become (how sad).  His dad had nothing to say and immediately started talking about himself - surprise!  Neither listened to what the other had to say but this was about S and him making a huge effort to speak to his dad who has shown zero interest since leaving.  Again, so sad.

I think their father abandoning them is the reason for their behaviour and in the big picture I am thankful they are alive and somewhat happy.

Sorry for the long post - I'm good at chatting away once I get started. 

Hugs to all.  Stay fabulous!
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

M
#107: January 26, 2019, 04:18:25 PM
Snow, you are not alone in losing a child to this MLC disease. You probably know we have a thread dedicated to this topic.

My oldest D vanished on me for 2 years after BD. Sided with her dad, talk to him regularly, she now talks to him every day, saw him, etc. I kept sending her regular messages. Never knew if she got them because I never heard from her. She went through university without me knowing what subjects she was doing, which major she had chosen. I know now that she blocked me because she says that my messages hurt her, as in they saddened her. My D has had a few years of therapy initiated by her. She has suffered terribly because of our family being destroyed.

She started coming a little closer a couple of years ago, a cold answer to my messages occasionally, saw me twice when she came back to our country but stayed with her dad. Long story, she now stays with me when she comes, and communicates with me several times a week. She tells me she loves me, appreciates everything I've done for her and her siblings since BD, asks me for advice.

I would say keep sending a little loving message once a month.
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

#108: January 27, 2019, 04:02:50 PM
Hello again, Snowdrop.

I am sorry D is now a vanisher. At times young adults do that. People also have life crisis other than MLC and life crisis, regardless of when they come, tend to be similar.

Milly - yes it is nice to be okay with being single.  I do wonder though if it came "easier" to me as I have always been independent since childhood circumstances dictated it was the only way to go.

Interesting. I also have no trouble being single. I was an independent child - and only child for nine years, very used to be on my own.
Would love a new relationship, but I am not going out of my way to get one.

I don't need anyone to validate me or need to be part of a relationship to feel whole, so maybe that was an advantage.

Makes two. Like with you, it didn't meant it didn't hurt. It did. Like hell. I had no clue what was going on all those years ago. Everything was nuts and nothing made sense.

I think we have to acknowledge all the pain like grieving a death and don't try to skip any of the stages, and only then can we move forward.  It really is like a death isn't it, but as we all know, hard to grieve when that person is still alive and ready to dish out more pain.  We can grieve the death of the relationship and make way for a healthier future whether it be alone or with someone new.

Agree. We have to acknowledge all the pain and grieving like if there was a death. Skipping stages, or trying to rush them, does not work/help. It is worst than death. Mostly because many of us still have to deal with the MLCer, or the MLCer keeps doing not so nice things that affect LBS, kids, etc. Yes, we can make way for a healthier future, alone or with someone else.

He withheld all money hoping to squeeze us out and it didn't happen.

Several of them think they are going to squeeze by withheld all the money. It is one more of the MLCer's power tactics. It tends to fail. Regardless of financial situation, the LBS will keep living and will even be able to heal and be happy again.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

#109: January 27, 2019, 04:30:29 PM
I lost both my D's in this mess.
My greif has been profound. I never thought I would ever be parted from my own children due to this. The things that have happened in these last few years have been almost surreal.
I  have to accept it, as I cannot change it. I don't know  if they are in crisis.  I hope not. I'm hoping they are getting some life experience and maybe someday they will contact me.

In regards to the ex? no I don't miss nor want him back and wouldn't even I wasn't in a new relationship now that I know just how evil he is.

I have a wonderful new man in my life who is kind and treats me well. Is very attentive and affectionate.

The ex couldn't hold a candle to him.
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.What you allow continues.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.