Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Old Timers thread 4

• Mentor
Discussion Re: Old Timers thread 4
#150: March 29, 2019, 09:23:24 AM
I forgot to add something my therapist told me yesterday...she said that the type of therapy/work I was engaged in takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years to integrate. In this type of therapy, you are reorganizing your nervous system, creating new pathways which the body can and will do but it takes TIME (lol, there is that word again).

HeartTattoo, as you know I have and remain working as a volunteer with CASA for children who are in need of an advocate in their lives...I've been doing that for 7 years now and it is really important work to me.

This job, now you will giggle as I do each time I tell someone about it, is at an Adult Day Care center for people mainly with dementia and Alzheimer's...a totally different field for me for my career was mainly in pediatrics and public health....it is 5 minutes from my home and only 2 hours per week which I can fit in to my own schedule...they asked me why I wanted the job, since it was only 2 hours per week and I said that is exactly why!

There may be another contract through the Senior Hub that they are negotiating and which they would like me to participate in, but again, that will just be a couple of hours per month.

The staff are CNA's and nursing assistants so the state law requires, for accreditation, that they have a RN a minimum of 2 hours per week. My role is to provide inservice education to the staff (which fits in perfectly with my previous health promotion background) as well as check physician orders and care plans. Staff as well consult with me concerning participants if they have any concerns.

I am learning a great deal and am appreciated by the staff which makes me feel really good about who xyzcf is..and nursing has always been a huge part of who I am...I left each of my jobs 7 times to move for him...that last job, I really loved and it was not my choice to move away again, that was decided for me...so this "job" gave me back something that was taken away from me...perhaps that is why I am liking it so very much.

Yes nursing can be physically and emotionally challenging. My therapist told me yesterday that she had given a professional development class the previous night for 50 Critical Care nurses, for their own self care....

Good luck in finding work that appeals to you. I agree, bedside nursing is quite exhausting. Have you considered any of the telephone roles that are cropping up for nurses to consult with patients?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:25:31 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

Re: Old Timers thread 4
#151: March 29, 2019, 09:30:41 AM
I forgot to add something my therapist told me yesterday...she said that the type of therapy/work I was engaged in takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years to integrate. In this type of therapy, you are reorganizing your nervous system, creating new pathways which the body can and will do but it takes TIME ...

This makes perfect sense from a mind/body/neurological point of view.

I think it is great that you are working as a nurse on an Adult Day Care center for people mainly with dementia and Alzheimer's. It is not easy.

Nursing is never easy. As someone without any health training who spend 8 years looking after an elderly person until death, doing many things nurses do, I know how hard it is.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

Re: Old Timers thread 4
#152: March 29, 2019, 06:33:40 PM
xyzcf,

Thank you for sharing your update. Your mind/ body therapy sounds really beneficial. I can appreciate the pain of the sudden and without warning divorce aspect causing some regression. I too felt the same and went back for further therapy.

I thinks it terrific that you are working in such a meaningful and valued way for you.  I’m sure feeling so appreciated adds that “extra gift” to your work.

Hugs,
 Believer

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.