Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God that it can go

a
  • Trial Subscriber
Link to my old thread
https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=12129.0

Lots of things sinking in right about now. It's been a tough old week. Is it acceptance that this is my new single parent reality? Maybe. A confrontation of the brutal facts of my MLC H's disinterest, lack of care, selfishness, entitlement? Likely.

Here's what I'd like to work on. Detachment. Someone on here wiser than me said something like (and forgive me if I paraphrase) "Apathy is not caring about the outcome, detachment is being ok with either outcome". I want to work on more of that.

I would love to get the group's reaction to the quote below:

"When you wait for a man to make up his mind about you, your life cannot move forward. You can't put your whole heart in anything else if you're betting on something that may not come through. You can build the life of your dreams without him. You can start today. But first, you need to take your heart off the table. You have a few precious years to do what you need to do. Don't waste them on him.”
― Lang Leav, September Love

That's the crux of my struggle. How do I take my heart off the table? How do I heal with him visiting to see kids, calling them on video calls, dipping in and out of fatherhood? Staying married. I have really appreciated the wisdom on here about how standing can be good for the LBS not just the MLC'er. (thanks French Husband) because when/if I do file, I will have already (hopefully) found my solid ground. leveled out, 'slowed my roll' (Treasur!) , dealt with a breadth of emotions, and I can then better help my children process theirs.

I just have to not care that my actual husband no longer loves me and cheats on me  with other women. That is something I'm struggling with. it feels like a lie. I realise I've asked this q before and some of you say, then walk away but don't discuss it with him, just file when you are sure, and some of you say, hold the line and put up with this (with boundaries) for as long as you can, giving both you and him as much space and time as possible.

And I guess that's what I'm going to do.  Oh and no one can say for you, how long is, 'as long as you can'.

But right now I need to figure out how take my heart off the table.

(thread tittle - attributable to NYT writer Brooks Atkinson)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 03:13:32 PM by amazinglove »

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
Welcome to your new thread.  I've attached this link to your old thread and locked that one. 

My H was quick to divorce, but I still stood for my marriage after the divorce.  I envisioned taking my heart out and locking it away in a box until as such time as I might need it again.  I'm not sure if it worked or not.  Of course I still had my heart for my children, I just had to maintain a quiet and peaceful resolve about him and his shenanigans.  That lasted until he got remarried although I had one period in between where I flirted with the possibility of giving up and dating around the 2 1/2 year mark of standing.
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

R
"How do I heal"?

Find things that give you time with your tribe.

Notice things that divert your attention from the pain and do more of those.

Exercise can help.

You can't avoid the pain, but focus on you. Read about healing and how to manage pain.

You are a resourceful woman. Use that toward your healing. Rely on things that don't have to do with him so your healing is dependable.

You can do this.

• Mentor
"How do I heal"?

I did all the things Reinventing suggests and then some.But I remained "stuck" until I found a therapist who identified that I was suffering from PTSD. Without her intervention, I would not be where I am today.

Because the trauma of what happened is real...it is not just a love affair gone bad...there are layers and layers of issues to face when life is suddenly blown apart and you are helpless to resolve any of it.There is not a checklist that you can go through to "get over it".

Therapy was lengthy and expensive...many here could not have afforded what I paid to heal.

Here's what I'd like to work on. Detachment.

Personally, I dislike this word "detachment". Acceptance of my reality feels better. Building a life without him makes more sense with the acknowledgement that on some level, he will always be on the periphery of my life.

Could it be that by trying to "detach" puts a great deal of pressure on you if you feel you are not succeeding?

There are memories, feelings, emotions, thoughts of the time we were together that cannot be erased..I guess "not responding in a way that harms us " is a way to describe detachment.

Our feelings are not like a tap that can be turned off just because we tell them to.

And for some, especially when there are children, it might not be possible to have a complete disconnect...so my question is ...how does one adapt so that contact doesn't shake us up?

It all takes much more time amazinglove than we ever thought it would. Even those who divorce quickly, remain in a fight to heal.

My thoughts on this quote:

"When you wait for a man to make up his mind about you, your life cannot move forward. You can't put your whole heart in anything else if you're betting on something that may not come through. You can build the life of your dreams without him. You can start today. But first, you need to take your heart off the table. You have a few precious years to do what you need to do. Don't waste them on him.”
― Lang Leav, September Love

Your spouse is not making up "his mind about you" because this is not about you and not about your marriage. He is in a crisis due to so many factors, in.a place where he is dealing with things that happened way before he ever met you.

"betting on something that may not come through". We are pretty clear here that there are not many who return to their partners. We really do encourage posters to let go and build a new life for themselves.

"But first, you need to take your heart off the table. You have a few precious years to do what you need to do. Don't waste them on him.”

This to me, and it's my opinion only, is unrealistic and "ugly".  Love is complicated. I did not stop loving my husband  because he had a crisis. There will always be love in my heart for him. They are not in our lives and we are not in theirs. Always, we encourage posters to fulfill their dreams, find new passions and become stronger than you were ever before...I can still love him without "expectations" and certainly have not wasted any of my life......

I personally find the quote not to support any of the trauma that we experienced, rather encouraging you to just get over it and deny your heart's feelings because somehow any love that you have for this person is a bad thing.

Love, past loves, present loves and future loves impact us deeply and those feelings remain in our brains in many ways. I embrace those memories and am grateful for the years we had.....so there is not nor ever will be an erasing of that "magic" or taking my heart off the table. That doesn't mean I won't love again or that it is holding me back from living..it means I have healed enough to recognize that things happen in life and I can't control another person's actions.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

b
Amazing, healing is different for each individual.  For me, it started by having as minimal contact as I absolutely needed with my xh.  It gave me space to breathe, to take steps back and view the things he was doing and the choices he was making and see that his crazy was HIS crazy.

Start by doing things that give you joy and peace.  Remember all the things you used to do to make his life easier and peaceful, and start giving yourself that same care and attention.  I started by getting back to the things I was doing,  pre-mariage, like going to the gym and just regaining my physical and mental health.  I routinely got facials and the occasional massage, and read a lot of books about personal growth and success.  And, eventually I started noticing how much attraction and attention I was receiving from men, again....and that I was attracted back and interested.

None of this happened overnight, but each day steps were being taken to direct me to the very different life I'm living now, compared to the one I had with xh.  It takes patience,  faith and steadily filling yourself with positive content and surrounding yourself with supportive and encouraging people.  It is a difficult road,  but you will make it.

a
  • Trial Subscriber
Thank you for those wonderful responses Reinventing, Xyz, F/W and BB! They helped a lot.

I would just like to say that for those steeped in grief and sadness about an MLC spouse, never, ever go to a MacDonald's playzone. I mean, if the despair was not coming thick and fast enough, being there amidst the greasy feel of the upholstery, the children wildly screaming and the 'food' itself. My gosh that was a dark moment. Live and learn.

Ok so I would like to ask about the cycling aspect of this, and how not to let it make you confused and perpetually disappointed.

H knew my mom (who lives with us) broke her ankle and that I am juggling all and yet not a single text message this week enquiring ab how she was doing, or I, or the kids, were handling it. That hurt. Stupidly, I know, but it hurt. I thought after our phone call last week - where we opened up and even ended with 'i love you' (which to be fair, I prompted but he said and he would never, ever say it just bc I did. he does not), meant we were at least building something that resembled civility and some kind of friendship?

Just as I start to get my breath it seems, I have more negative contact from him. Today started out grim bc I was still in bed when he wrote asking to speak to kids - he was in hospital visiting his dad and wanted to show them to him - he had called my D (10)  first but she was asleep and her phone was off of course. it was 7am. I told him I would get my son (7) who was awake, but when H saw me when he opened the phone he looked like he'd seen a vampire. Like honestly, he was so disappointed and shocked that I would be calling and dare to show my face from my own phone. I thought it was normal and I have bribe my son to talk on the phone, and sit with him so he does it anyway. (he has ADD and hates talking on the phone normally).

I thought we had made more progress than this . And when he said he was coming here (he arrives in 3 days! Wed) he promised me that he was 'not angry at me' this time to visit kids but his seething dislike on phone just now is palpable. He hates me seeing his parents. His dad (the one who is in the hospital) loves me and always praises me, and his dad doesn't know my H no longer loves me - so maybe that's why. It's like he wants to show off these great kids he has (it feels a little like show ponies) that he is not currently raising or involved with beyond a few weekly texts and calls, and a few weeks of visiting a year, and erase me from the picture entirely. Like I don't exist - apart from working hard enough that he doesn't actually have to do what's involved in real parenting I guess. But stay silent and faceless.

I am going to speak to him ab it on the ride from LAX. He needs to fake it or access some kindness to me in front of the kids - he cannot show them he actively dislikes me -  because we are not modeling what he had modeled in a marriage his whole life. It messed him up and it will mess up our own. I don't want our son to treat any woman like this, and I don't want our daughter to accept it. I am going to be really firm on that one. He doesn't have to touch me, and I won't assume he's changed his mind, but he needs to act like I don't ruin every room I walk into. Which is how it felt this am. He needs to get that together in himself or he can find a hotel/leave.

After that call, I was sad. So I went for a walk (I walk every day at least an hour, sometimes 2 walks), called a couple of friends and listened to some inspirational music. I came back resolved that altho I may not be able to break this generational pattern (it's really more than that, it feels like a curse) in his family,  but I can break it for my son - and with God's help, I will.

I loved xyzcf's idea of 'acceptance' vs 'detachment'. thank you! I am working on accepting that he no longer feels love for me (beyond a kind of vague, you gave me these kids, thanks), and believes he never will want me in that way again. I need to accept that we are on track to never be a real couple again and I need to rebuild my life without him. I still have have romantic love for him (how I wish I could turn that off) but I will try to access compassion for the kid who was constantly left by his parents - first 5 years of his life - with his grandparents - as they went overseas to work and earn money. ((Ironically, he's not following this. Leaving his kids to go to another country too.))

These really do feel like hard times - I'm v thankful for all of you on here and any thoughts or wisdom greatly appreciated.
Happy Sunday!

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
I´m not sure he could comply with the faking it if he had to as they seem to have a visceral revulsion- almost like drawing your hand back when accidentally touching a hot stove. The flinch/cringe factor is reactive and I doubt he could avoid it. It might be on par with you asking a MLCer to not have a weird smell- not gonna happen. So maybe suggest that if he´s going to show through words, gestures or actions that you are not valued that he will need to find a place to stay other than the house but that visits are ok. That way you are  not subjected to the disrespect in your safe space.

If he will be in the house then maybe set up a work schedule that takes you out- even if working on-line at the library and activities away from home. You don´t want your home time to be tainted.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
I would venture to guess that his "revulsion" of seeing you on the phone is directly related to the fact that he is likely lying to his family about his affairs and his plans. Since his family like you, he wants to "make you go away" so they don't poke at his as to why he isn't at home where he should be or other such. By "vanishing" you, he likely relieves a lot of pressure on himself from his family so, when you suddenly appeared, it is like being confronted with Satan for him....

Like FTT said though, in YOUR own home, you do NOT have to accept being treated that way. He is likely not going to be able to fake it much but he can stay somewhere else and visit the kids. Your mental health (and that of your kids) is priority number one.
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

Chuckled about your McD playzone comment  :) ;D

Agree with the others. His current MO seems to be that you - and the kids - are like toys on a shelf. That when HE wants to talk to them, or show them off, everyone is supposed to jump to it. Including you. When HE decides he wants to ‘visit’, ditto. (The fact he hasn’t been in touch to see how you or your Mum are coping is evidence to me that, regardless of what he might say, looking after the kids while your Mum is recovering is not his real rationale. No idea what it is, it will probably come out in the wash, but it will be self-serving in some way bc that’s how these folks roll)

I understand all the reasons why you might be going along with his expectation to have his cake and eat it too. We all do here bc they are normal understandable responses, an LBS version of putting your finger in the hole in the dyke that most of us did for a little while. I think though that what this tends to force us to do, bc they just eat more and more f’ing cake (insert mental picture of small fat boy stuffing his mouth full of cake lol), is to trip over our own boundaries by default. Which is not a bad thing. 

I think, reading your post, that means that you are still trying to negotiate boundaries with him….anecdotally, as others say, that tends not to work. And part of the mindf**k is that you perhaps can’t see, as we can see, how very reasonable and fair your boundaries are and how soaked in a twisted sense of entitlement he is. So, you are still - at least mentally - asking rather than telling, if that makes sense.

You are right though to focus on behaviour. Do not let him distract you, or you distract yourself, from that by getting sucked into the whys and whatnots sitting behind the behaviour. Those don’t matter as much as it feels they do. Boundaries are about actions, yours and his. And observable facts. Your h chose to leave. He has told you that he intends to live elsewhere, that he has exited from your previous family life leaving you holding the bag.

Which in my head means he is now a ‘visitor’…..purportedly to see his children….visitors are invited, come then leave at a pre agreed time, and fit around the existing schedule and obligations. Not the other way round. They stay elsewhere or sleep on the put up bed in the spare room. If they are good visitors, they tidy up after themselves a bit and maybe take everyone out for dinner to say thanks for the hospitality. They sometimes bring gifts lol. If you think of your h as not your h, but a person visiting his children, how does that affect how you think it should work?

It sounds as if you have a couple of basics.

That he treats you consistently with civility and respect, or finds somewhere else to stay.

That you agree how long he is staying, a specific date. And if/when you are driving him back to the airport. Or not.

That his visit is to spend time with, and take care of, his OWN children. So there will be a planned schedule for that which allows you, your Mum and the kids to plan their own time accordingly. And that while he is here, you will agree a schedule for him talking to the kids after he leaves which minimises your involvement and allows everyone to get on with their lives. And tbh that gives your kids some basic information about what is going on, that Daddy has chosen to leave and live elsewhere, that he is now a visitor not a stayer. Bc your kids deserve not to be gaslit or left hanging on a shelf. Bc that is how real life grown up consequences come from our choices, whether he likes it or not.

That you have no interest in having any conversation with him about his role as your h unless he has something new and concrete to put on the table for you to consider. If not, then he’s just a visitor visiting his children.

And you will need to have your own back up plan B of what YOU will do independently  when/if he does not meet HIS half of these very reasonable requirements. Bc, if I were a betting woman, I’d bet that he will. Bc these folks do. Bc his sense of entitlement and expectation that you all jump to his call and suck it up is obvious as a casual reader. Bc very few humans much like other peoples’ firm boundaries if they don’t serve our own interests….and MLCers tend to behave like teenagers with curfew times for a party  ::)

So, I’d start with the basics in the drive home.

His departure date is when specifically? And that he will need to arrange his own transport back to the airport bc, you know, you are busy with all that grown up work/life/kids stuff…..

That he is staying on the couch/in the spare room etc. if that doesn’t suit him, you’re happy to drop him off at a nearby motel.

That the existing schedule for you and the kids is x, meal times are x, activities are x and therefore you propose that he spends y time with them eg school pick ups or weekends while you do other things. That if he wants to take them to x or y activity, that’s fine if it happens in those time slots but it will not include you. Visitor time not family time. That  :-\ can eat with you all if he’s around, and use the facilities to do his laundry etc, but you are now living as a solo parent with a ft job….he fits in around everyone else or is welcome to go elsewhere.

That he speaks to you with civility and respect as the mother of his children and an adult or stays elsewhere. And that, if he can’t/win’t do that in the car discussion, you drop him off at a motel. Bc I can’t underline enough how minimal a human requirement that is, my friend….the fact that he can’t/won’t do that is not your responsibility nor does it change how very basic a requirement it is. Like being civil at the airport check in desk if your flight is delayed lol…you may feel angry, but as an adult understand that if you spit insults at the person on the desk, you are going to get bumped off the flight or taken away by the police  :) It’s remarkable imho how often folks CAN manage their own behaviour with others in all kinds of situations….they just feel that they don’t HAVE to with us bc well, accustomed to cake and unaccustomed to LBS boundaries.

So, get clear in your own head in as few words as possible, what your boundaries are and what you will do when/if he breaks them, what you are prepared to offer and for how long, what you expect in return.

Do not get sucked into justifying, explaining or defending your need for those boundaries. He may not like them but hey ho.

Do not get sucked into the distraction of why he’s doing what he’s doing or owomen or how he feels or all his sadz or your long list of emasculating failures as a wife etc etc.

Just focus on the basics like a broken record…..how long he is staying and how his temporary visit with his kids is going to work in a way which best suits everyone, not just him. Offer first, then inform…..then say no if needed….it’s your house, your job pays for your family, you are currently the sole custodial parent, he left not you, he’s on your turf not vice versa….you have a great deal more power legally, practically and emotionally in this situation than you probably think. And if this makes HIS life more difficult? Well, that’s not your responsibility….after all, he gave no thought to how difficult it might be for you when he decided to go, did he? There was no negotiation about that as I recall  ::)…..ha ha MLCers are pretty good at tending to their own boundaries, right?……and this is just how RL tends to work when you leave your wife and children. Everyone, including him, gets some bitter syrup with the cake.

But I really truly cannot emphasise enough how simple and basic your requirements are. Have an agreed schedule. Behave like a civil polite adult human. Accept that it is not just all about you bc other people, including small humans, have feelings and needs that matter too. That’s it….how basic is that?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 03:19:21 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

a
  • Trial Subscriber
Thank you so much Treasur, FTT and UM for the great replies. So helpful!

Treasur I'm always amazed by all the great advice you give and the super questions you ask to get me thinking -thank you!

I had the WORST dreams/lying awake at night dark thoughts last night. Does that happen to anyone else? Like between 3:33 and 6 am I was a mess. The most horrible thoughts about him and the woman who is his AP (I believe, have some evidence altho I cannot prove and he denies) and the fact that I think he was with her again this week (he goes dark and doesn't call kids or me for a few days) and the most terrible feelings of betrayal, hopelessness and if I'm really honest, humiliation.

When you are in that space - if any of you are - in the dark of night - what do you do to get out of it? I tried to pray but I felt like it was so strong I couldn't even get my mind there. Does anyone have anything suggestions of things that might have worked for them? Is this normal?

I never thought I would even still be married to someone who is cheating on me and I'm trying to cope with it for as long as I can before I pull the plug on this farce.

thank you in advance!

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.