General Forum Information > Forum Information

Forum-Info Mentor and Moderator Duties

(1/1)

Rollercoasterider:
Below is the list of Mentor and Moderator Duties given to all Mentor Team members and kept on a thread on the Mentor Board. I'm posting it here so you know what is expected from your Mentor.

Mentoring is on a volunteer basis. OldPilot or I will post on [the Mentor Board] when someone has requested a mentor and we assign based on who volunteers. Mentorships last 6 weeks. We maintain a specific thread for mentor requests.

Mentor Duties

* Introduce yourself to your mentees.
You may do this by Personal Message or on their thread.
* Be reasonably available to offer support and guidance.
* Continue to check-in on them—either via their thread (and post) or by Personal Message if they are not posting.
* Encourage them to continue to post to their story thread.
* Be familiar with the site articles for referencing.
* Direct them to resources on or off site and suggest other threads—such as another LBS with a similar situation.
* Answer their questions—even if the answer is I don’t know.
Even better, help them discover answers to their questions
* Encourage Self-Protection—including seeking legal advice.
* Encourage Self-Focus and Detachment.
But recognize that they don’t want to hear that they aren’t detached over and over again—that is one of the biggest complaints.
* Share your insights and experiences.
* Validate.
* Accept their process to recovery and help them to accept it.
* Let them know of any restrictions for availability or contacting you
So if you aren’t around the board on weekends, just let them know when you introduce yourself.
* Check AND post/participate in the Mentor Board where we discuss board issues, those needing help, challenges...
Checking in on the board regularly also lets me know you are still active as a Mentor.
Moderator Permissions

* Merge threads
* Edit for content—swear words, personal information.
Add a note when you edit, giving the reason for making modifications.
Ex.: Edited for carriage returns
* Edit for carriage returns—sometimes OldPilot does this and it can be a great help.
* Be alert for spammers.
Then let me know and I can delete an account.
* When possible add a link source when someone references an online article or pastes an excerpt.
You can often find the precise online address by doing a Boolean search for a section of the article.
* Greet newbies and encourage them to start a story thread if they have not done so.
* Enforce The Code of Conduct and administer appropriate action according to The Enforcement Policy.
* Personal names are not allowed as a display name. Just offer a gentle reminder on the story thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version