Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Reconnecting Bomb dropped in 2008 | Still married and together 10 years later

Yep Navigator I'm still here..not sure why.

Things are going ok as they can be. I've moved on, very happy with the new man in my life. Now if I could just get a bit more of this figured out I might have a little more peace. Other things I'm working on trying to get done to help get me to that peace of mind.

Now it's not ME holding ME back..there's something trying to slow me down!  >:( ;D ;D

Glad to hear things are still calm and moving forward.
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

T
  • Beaten paths are for beaten men
Just checking in.

Nothing much to report other than W and I celebrated 21 years together in July, we've recently done road trips to Poland, Slovenia and Italy and we have "dates" at weekends during the afternoon when S3 is asleep. S10 and D9 "babysit" him and we go to the coffee shop across the street and chat for a few hours.

Working at home 2 days per week. W apparently wishes it were more.

My Dad (71) in England is showing the first signs of dementia. Gets completely confused processing new information or dealing with numbers (online banking), has forgotten how to keep score on a cribbage board (he must have played it for 50 years), and he's forgotten how to play "Connect 4". He also forgets words for things, says "the thing with the bubble in it" rather than "spirit level".

This is a real mixed bag of emotions. I don't really have a "relationship" with Dad as such. We're not estranged, but we speak very seldom. It's a mixed bag for my sister who lives locally too. He was physically present when we were little but emotionally "elsewhere". We grew up with zero self-esteem, feeling about as significant as a small speck of **** on the toilet bowl which hadn't been noticed during cleaning.

Focus is supporting and unburdening my mother (67) as much as possible. We also have another sister in her late 30s in assisted living who needs lots of care.

Anyway, grateful for my life now aged 44. Have a lovely W and 3 beautiful children, no debt, normal weight, normal blood pressure, good job. Also grateful to be in regular contact with friends I've had for more than 30 years.

Bomb & Separation: 28th January 2008
Moved in with OM for 5 months
EA/PA persisted from 2008 to 2010
Kids: DS ( 10 ), DD ( 9 ) confirmed mine with paternity tests
Another DS (3)
MLC lasted 6-7 years

Good Navigator all sounds good. It would be hard I would think to help with father who treated you" less than " then try to have concern for him.  Has he been diagnosed yet?

Help who you can which would be your mother.

Grateful, grateful, grateful is the key to contentment. :)
There are two ways of spreading light:
Be the candle; or the mirror that reflects it

Don't ask why someone is still hurting you; ask why you keep letting them.

At some point you have to get sick of going through the same sh!t.

Women are NOT rehabilitation centers for badly raised men. It is not your job to fix ,parent, raise or change him.
You want a partner not a project.

T
  • Beaten paths are for beaten men
Hey in it,

Great to hear from you and see you're still here.

Yes, helping Mum is the top priority. My sister, Mum and I have been sorting out power of attorney should both of them cease to be compos mentis.

I don't think Dad actively set out to be belittling but he did it expertly with my sister and me. He simply doesn't "get" how his behaviour and attitude impacts on those closest to him so I've erected the Berlin Wall around myself.
Bomb & Separation: 28th January 2008
Moved in with OM for 5 months
EA/PA persisted from 2008 to 2010
Kids: DS ( 10 ), DD ( 9 ) confirmed mine with paternity tests
Another DS (3)
MLC lasted 6-7 years

S
  • Mentor
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
Hi Navigator

Thanks for popping by.  Your update has given me a little more encouragement.  7.5 yrs on from BD and seemingly stuck in reconnection - beginning to feel as though it's a waste of my time and energy.   

Thanks though for showing that life does get good and that rebuilding is possible.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad - know the feeling as I had it with my mum although mercifully it was shortlived owing to a very nasty fall that ultimately created other health problems that we knew nothing about.
However my MIL had Dementia for 10 years and towards the end it was difficult.  So you're right to build a Berlin Wall to help with your resilience - keep a chink open now and then though....
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017 and still going with no sign of reconciliation.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.