Author Topic: Off-Topic New Forum Theme (Design)  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Thunder

Off-Topic Re: New Forum Theme (Design)
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:23 AM »
Really, I was just telling Helping and Acorn, if your using a computer try holding down your ctrl key, then scroll up or down to change your font size.

Hope this helps.   :)
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

Offline Stedroy

Re: New Forum Theme (Design)
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 06:16:11 AM »
It would be wonderful if there was an app to view this, might be a pipe dream.  Click through an iPhone using Safari isn't the best but it works.
Married 19 / Together 24
Divorced 2018
ME51
eW47
D17, D16, S13

BD Feb 2017 - ILYBINILWY, Scam/Emotional affair

Offline heroIam

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »
When I open on my Android phone, I don't really see everything.  And using mobile, I open through the internet explorer.
But now I have it open on my computer, and  it is back to the old format. 
TBH, I like the old format much better! 
“In the end, you’ve got to be your own hero because everyone’s busy trying to save themselves.”

Offline RollercoasteriderTopic starterTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »

I was trying to find out how to make the site more responsive for cell phone viewing.
I have been using my cell phone for a long time and never had an issue with the forum,
what is better about it now?

I fail to see anything better and lots of complaints,
I am glad Sir Osis changed us back to the original format and color.

Just my .02

It's good to know that it works okay for cell users. The problem is that Google now uses responsiveness in ranking and Google has its own determination of responsiveness and I did not pass.

One thing to note, regardless of which theme one chooses, using a Sans Serif font on a web site is crucial for readability. Serif'd fonts line Times New Roman and all look very pretty on paper but for screen reading they are absolutely inappropriate. The main reasons for this (in terms of web Design) are that one can not know what screen resolution that the user has and the little small parts that embellish the font (the serif's) can either disappear totally or bleed together or be a blob (a single set of pixels). 

That is the main reason that virtually all professionally designed Web Sites use Sans Serif fonts like Verdana or Arial for the on-screen text... It is simply easier to read, regardless of what device one is viewing it on...

Just my 2 cents of information...

I actually manually put in Verdana--andI thought it said that was a default in the notes, but it either did not work or took a while to work through the system.

As for the tiny font sizes...that seemed weird because it appeared that they defaulted to 14pt. I have trouble reading the small stuff which is why I manually make my posts at 14 pt.

It's really not a huge deal, but I have always wanted the forum to match the main site and blog colors for branding and continuity--a few years ago I created a mock-up design in paint. Having the Header would also be wonderful, not a requirement, but gives continuity to the sites. I'd especially like to have the main site nav bar available here at the forum, or at least a place for a small link menu leading to the blog and main site.

It seems that the grey=green is better for forum viewing, as the greens I use in my palette are brighter. Maybe I can find something that does a better job of matching that is in the grey-green range.

Someone mentioned white backgrounds for posting as though we had those...we have never had white backgrounds that I know of...always the greenish grey.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
I love the greenish-gray color, myself.  It's soft, easy on the eyes.  I think it's better than white.

jmo
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

Offline RedStar

• MLCer Type: Off-N-On
  • MLCer is in high energy replay.
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
I agree with Thunder.

I found out that the little row of rectangles at the top right can be clicked on for a reader to get differerent color options to apply to this theme. Each one has a little different level of contrast and all that, but after testing them all, I still like the gray-green the best for ease of reading.

Offline handpuppets

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 11:48:45 AM »
RCR: Have you considered re-branding your main site? I ask because purple and green are known as the worse colors to use in web design for a multitude of reasons (e.g., green is hard for folks who are colorblind -- it looks brown to them, purple is the color least preferred by men). 

Color and font impart tone and emotion and both impact our emotional state (unconsciously).

Just throwing the suggestion out there since I sense that you'd like to drive more people to your website overall and good web design can help do that along with getting folks to continue using the website, etc.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:49:56 AM by handpuppets »
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” -Anne Lamott

Offline OldPilot

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 01:16:23 PM »
I agree with Thunder.

I found out that the little row of rectangles at the top right can be clicked on for a reader to get differerent color options to apply to this theme. Each one has a little different level of contrast and all that, but after testing them all, I still like the gray-green the best for ease of reading.
This is true however I do not believe this was working with the forum mod theme that we had for a day or two, I could not find it until Sir Osis changed us back to this theme.

Offline Anjae

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »
Other sans-sarifs options: Helvetica, Helvetica Neue, Lucida Grande (The Guardian uses these ones along with Arial. The New York Times uses Helvetica, Arial and NYT Franklin a font created for them).

Really, I was just telling Helping and Acorn, if your using a computer try holding down your ctrl key, then scroll up or down to change your font size.

It does work, but it shouldn't be necessary. There should be a default readable size and then, anyone who needs to maxime or minimize would do it. I have no trouble with small fonts, for me it is certain colours/shades/brighteness.

I love the greenish-gray color, myself.  It's soft, easy on the eyes.  I think it's better than white.

Agree, it is better than white. Pure white is never a good idea.

Don't recall seeing them with the design that was on for a day or two. But the problem with the new design was far more than the colours.

I like the green and purple on the main site. But I am not a man or colourblind (barely any woman is). Colours are always tricky. Red is also a problem, for colourblind people. One of my brothers does not see orange or any bright colours. Most newspapers keep it simple colour wise. Same for Facebok.

Often a forum doesn't exactly match the main site. A main site and a forum aren't the same thing nor have the same purpose.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.