Author Topic: Discussion Support and advice on the forum. Where do you draw the line???  (Read 1059 times)

Offline AcornTopic starterTopic starter

Discussion Re: Support and advice on the forum. Where do you draw the line???
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 12:14:09 PM »
I stand corrected, OP.
Thank you for the link.
It’s on the second page of Forum Information. 
Live-in MLCer
Feb 2015: BD.  H has a Nuclear meltdown. 
Oct 2015: ILYBIANILWY.
Apr 2016: Affair discovered
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

Offline Silver

Re: Support and advice on the forum. Where do you draw the line???
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 12:22:51 PM »
It is still a good question Acorn, thank you for bringing it up  :)
I am sure you are not the only one who has been thinking of that, now the link is easier to find.

"I've seen dreams that move the mountains, hope that doesn't ever end even when the sky is falling. I've seen miracles just happen, silent prayers get answered, broken hearts become brand new. That's what faith can do." Kutless

Offline Mortesbride

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 01:57:39 AM »
Information is just that...information.

It is up to each individual to decide if that information is relevant, useful, or even correct.

How does a person decide what to use on the internet? We find a reputable source. We cross check....compare information from many sources.

No matter what advice you receive on this website, it is ultimately up to YOU to decide what is best in the situation.

I don't think it should be a moderator or RCR job to police everything that looks like it might be legal or medical advice. Personally I found a lot of the information very helpful and it wasn't even about my situation. I think having people in medicine or law is actually VERY HELPFUL to people on here, because you can get some ''off the record'' tips, tricks, and ideas.

As a (single?) mom who may be facing the D word at some point, I will be looking to get all the legal ideas I can... (don't forget pensions, and custody arrangements, and health insurance and blah blah). I don't expect anyone on here to fight my case for me, or know the ins and outs of Scottish law...that is a lawyers job, but having those helpful reminders will save a lot of heartache.

Same goes for Medicine...I study Biology...have no formal qualification. But through my education, and research, have managed to solve at least 6 different health problems of various people (Me, My daughter, my husband) when the doctors here (NHS) had just flobbed them off. One of which was my own gallbladder that I had to FORCE them to check ''because I was to young for it to be that'' and by the time they gave in and agreed to the scan it was about to burst! Am I going to come on here and say ''Wowwee I think you got an inflamed gallbladder let me pop to the shed and take it out for you!''  :o no...but what is the harm in me saying ''Hey you know what happened to me....maybe you should have your doctor do a X scan''.

Think our world has gone a bit crazy over filtering information, and being super careful of what you say, because one outlier took it to far.

That is on the outlier not the information.

You know this is MLC when you have played emotional hot potato with a pair of crotch-less tights.

Offline strawberry

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »
What she said☝️

So many sites are afraid of appearing to give expert advice and are terriefied.  But the thing is, not a single one of the changes I made for my thyroid that were effective were recommended by my doctor.  Knowing what has worked in practice for other people is often useful.
H: 44
M: 45
M: 2003, T: 2001, Friends: 1996
No kids
2 dogs, 2 cats
BD1 (Summer 2014) "We aren't happy, I should move out, we should divorce"  Nothing happened.
Nov 2014 we moved across the country for H's job
BD2 (July 2015) "I'm not happy.  I want a divorce"  H moves out for 2 weeks.
BD3 (Nov 2017) H takes a new job 2 hours away and moves out.
BD4 (September 2018) OW2 discovered despite claims there has never been one.  She outs MOW1 and discloses that H filed for Divorce, but has not served me.  OW2 dumps him.

Offline Anjae

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 09:31:16 AM »
I don't think people are going to stop giving the type of advice they have been giving so far. The disclaimer exists to prevent HS and its member being liable, not to stop people giving the type of advice they do.

Indeed, information is just information, advice is just advice. Each person must think, compare and decide for themselves.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

Offline Rollercoasterider

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 09:29:12 PM »
The legal disclaimer was previously shown on each page by using a global footer mod. After an upgrade that mod was giving me problems and I had to stop using it. I just tried it now and it is working.

Offline OldPilot

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 03:27:50 AM »
The legal disclaimer was previously shown on each page by using a global footer mod. After an upgrade that mod was giving me problems and I had to stop using it. I just tried it now and it is working.

Oh cool,  I hope it keeps working without any issues

Offline AcornTopic starterTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 08:12:50 AM »

Wonderful. Thank you!

Indeed, information is just information, advice is just advice. Each person must think, compare and decide for themselves.

Yes, what you have said is common sense. 
What is also common sense is recognizing that not everyone has common sense. 

I think it’s prudent to have the disclaimer displayed unambiguously.  It’s a bit like having an insurance for one’s house.  Not because there will be a devastating fire, but just in case. 
Live-in MLCer
Feb 2015: BD.  H has a Nuclear meltdown. 
Oct 2015: ILYBIANILWY.
Apr 2016: Affair discovered
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

Offline Anjae

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
What is also common sense is recognizing that not everyone has common sense. 

Agree.

I think it’s prudent to have the disclaimer displayed unambiguously.  It’s a bit like having an insurance for one’s house.  Not because there will be a devastating fire, but just in case.

Indeed.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.