Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion MLC in the News: Celebrities, News Stories, etc. Part 6

Good point, Song...it is easy to see crisis when it is actually just well-rooted narcissism...and you find that in all walks of life and some social cultures just enable it more than others perhaps.

What I do see and feel increasingly concerned about, particularly for younger folks, is what seems to me to be a growing culture of narcissism and a homogenised 'perfection' fed by how we use social media. More and more I notice young women...and maybe some older ones too...with the same eyebrows, same selfie poses, same overall presented look. When did that become so strong in our culture, I wonder, and how much pressure does it create that we should all live our lives under that kind of pressure or conformity? I find I want to cheer when I see young folks who don't look the same.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.
Healing and growing found here https://littleplotbythesea.wordpress.com

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

N
We as a society are complicit in this.  A piece in The Times today looks at some psychology behind a celebrity couple who are in a crisis of identity which is not their fault but for which they will need to take responsibility at some tine if they are to be happy.  Here is an extract:

“......Now consider Harry and his wife Meghan. Not as royals but as people. I asked a friend of mine, a celebrated psychoanalyst, to watch last weekend’s ITV documentary featuring the pair on their trip to Africa. This is the one in which Harry said, “I think being part of this family in this role, this job — every single time I see a camera, every single time I hear a click, every single time I see a flash, it takes me straight back . . . everything I do reminds me of her [his mother]. And doing this job I get reminded of the bad stuff.” And then, “I will not be bullied into playing the game that killed my mother”.
In the same programme Meghan became tearful when the interviewer Tom Bradby (a serial royal wedding attender) asked in a therapeutic tone of voice how she was. “Any woman when you’re pregnant you’re vulnerable,” she said. “And thank you for asking, not a lot of people have asked if I’m OK.”
“This is a depressed woman”, said my friend, who has met a few. “She’s moved country, got married, left her family, left her career, had a baby. . . any of these things singly might cause the blues. Together . . .” And she’s dealt with all this by becoming manic, filling the space with statements, opinions, sentiments, lawsuits even. Not only that, but being American her model for how someone should be in this situation is clearly a first lady like Michelle Obama. But the consort of a spare prince really has no such role.”
Finally, said my friend, there may be Harry’s projection to deal with. “It’s as if he’s married his mother — a glamorous, charismatic, attractive woman, disconnected from her own family and liable to depression and mania.” And now he’s imposing the Diana story on her — unconsciously acting out his childhood experience in the present. Ridding the world of landmines and holding hands with the sick but this time without the paparazzi and the criticism. And it isn’t working.
We’re not playing ball. Harry may not know it but it’s a posthumous myth that we all loved Diana and that it was only the evil tabloids who dissed her. We, the public, felt admiration and envy for her: her looks, her money, her palaces, her parties with Elton John. We knew that she played the celebrity game to suit herself and many disliked her for it. She was roundly attacked for her “trendy” interventions in current affairs. We forgot that she hadn’t chosen the life in any real sense (she was only 19 when her engagement was announced), just as her husband and her sons never did.
Of course, we all adore the Queen. We extol her ramrod sense of duty and simultaneously forget that 22 years ago, after her daughter-in-law died in a car crash, we lamented her lack of emotional connection, her stiffness, her inhuman separation of private and public life. But now, we think, you’d never get the Queen giving us her unwanted opinion on climate change and implicitly reproaching us for living environmentally damaging lifestyles. At 100 she’ll still pitch up poker-faced at parliament surrounded by archaic uniforms to read out a speech she didn’t write.
And yet we still want the dope. The marital problems. The affairs (oh please, let there be some!). The “tensions between the brothers”. The women on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
I just can’t see how our unconscious public sadism and love of celebrity can be accommodated by the monarchy once Elizabeth II has passed from our lives. It is horribly obvious that for their own sakes Harry and Meghan should renounce their titles and become private citizens, rather than vainly attempt to bend the institution to suit their psychological needs. Someone needs to show that it can be done. The truly modern monarchy is one you can leave. One where Edward VIII did the right thing”.

Diana, Charles, Meghan and Harry all have complex childhood backgrounds.  I think there’s a pathos behind so many stories

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:42:49 AM by Nerissa »

S
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
I have been having similar thoughts Nerissa and part of me bristled when I heard Meghan say that motherhood under the scrutiny of the press was hard..... ummm motherhood is hard anyway. I have little sympathy for this comment at all.

I also think that they have made a huge mistake making all of this so public. Harry needs help, that much is certain but for every finger they point at others two more will be pointing back at them.  BY courting the media in this way - it isn't going to go away.

I have also observed how clingy or rather victim like Meghan is - many of her photos with Harry show her holding his hand or arm and placing her other hand over the top. The body language is very much the drama triangle  rescuer- victim - persecutor and this was clearly evident in the language they used.

So IMHO we have two incomplete people seeking refuge in each other and I think that unless they receive good help and act upon good advice most of us can predict where this might end up.

I really hope I'm wrong BTW.  I would love this to be the end of the press intrusion and unnecessary scandal making so that that little boy can grow up in as normal and loving an environment as possible (yes and privileged but that's not the point as far as I am concerned)
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017 through 2018.
2019 is the year of Decisions!

m
  • "You must do the thing you think you can not do."
Ben Affleck slipped up and got hammered - and when his bender was over he drove straight to - wait for it - JENNIFER GARNER’S!

Remind me why these two ever got divorced? 

W
Well she probably had enough of his behavior. However, I thought the same thing when I read the article this morning. He goes immediately to her after he screws up. It's sad. Obviously there is something there and he just cannot get his act together.

m
I got the impression that the D was all his doing - not hers.  Obviously I have no idea, but she has always seemed committed to their family unit, until he blew it up.

One thing is certain: this man has had (is in?) the most obvious mid-life crisis I’ve ever seen.  He’s the poster child!

They should just get remarried already....

• You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Me - 57, xW - 50
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 13, D - 9
2 Dogs
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
At 70 years old he seems a bit old for an MLC. And with this being his 3rd wife and with him having a 19 year old son who was born when he was 51 while married to his second wife, it looks like this isn't his first rodeo. His first wife is 17 years younger than him and his second wife is 12 years younger than him. Third wife is 34 years younger than him.

Marrying younger women seems to be more of a lifestyle choice for him than evidence of a crisis.

m
What Brain said

a.k.a. Throwing the dying fish overboard in favor of a shiny new minnow.

Ugggggh.

• You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Or he is in a perennial crisis like my FIL (RIP) was... Never came out of the tunnel and just hopped from OW to OW
Me - 57, xW - 50
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 13, D - 9
2 Dogs
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.