me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

t
Re: neurotransmitters
#1: February 16, 2020, 09:30:45 PM
:/ Check your local legalizations first.

This article seems more about use of presently illegal recreational drugs for therapeutic purposes in a structured therapeutic environment, and less about neurotransmitters. If you are considering going this route, be careful of your local laws and don’t go with a “renegade” counselor. Think clinical trials and studies through the top universities and medical schools.

MDMA has been used in couples counseling for decades. What I can tell you about it anecdotally is that both the couples and the therapists I knew who did this — were all of a certain age group when they did, and every one of them had a glee about it. That started around me during the whole D.A.R.E. era, when the drug was definitely illegal.

Now marijuana is generally accepted and legalized most everywhere, especially where h and I have lived. Psilocybin is gaining ground and from what I know of it, in therapeutic settings it is used in therapeutic doses, which is to say, microdose.

A microdose of psilocybin has a subtle and nearly imperceptible effect, something like taking a very pleasant aspirin. There is no discernible “trip”.

A “normal” dose of psilocybin will have you at some point watching walls breathe and floors and street lamps and human figures melting. It’s not really for the timid and I can’t imagine what kind of therapist would have a couple go this route to enhance, repair, or restore relationship. Definitely I don’t know a *soul* who would “go to dinner” while tripping.

Hallucinogens also may inhibit or otherwise very much alter any person’s interest in physical coupling, so if sexual intimacy is something you want to foster, just know that up front. As well, the presence or “guidance” of a third party may be the wrong idea altogether, if the goal of drug therapy is to recover from an infidelity. Not my personal or direct experience: just logic. Proceed with caution and do your homework first.

The experts still don’t know the extent of what these drugs do or how or why. So I take issue with the article linked; I think it is a bit misleading and not clear on what any person in need or want may really need or want to know, before seeking this option.

There are other and fully natural, fully legal ways to boost both neurotransmitters and empathy, before entrusting two valuable minds to the drug option. I’m not disagreeing completely here; I think drug therapy can be an asset. But it definitely needs more study and approval first, and from an FDA perspective, I think it will be another few years before we see a safe structure for using these particular drugs in the way this article suggests.

#2: February 16, 2020, 10:25:33 PM
There are other and fully natural, fully legal ways to boost both neurotransmitters and empathy, before entrusting two valuable minds to the drug option. I’m not disagreeing completely here; I think drug therapy can be an asset. But it definitely needs more study and approval first, and from an FDA perspective, I think it will be another few years before we see a safe structure for using these particular drugs in the way this article suggests.

This! Especially since neurotransmitters all have multiple functions in the body, most not directly linked to mood or feelings, nutritional supplementation, IMO, should be step one. Need more dopamine? Look into L-Tyrosine. Serotonin? B6 and Zinc, 5HTP, St. John's Wort, and a slew of other things that will affect your brain and your gut health.
"Unconditional love is the highest of high standards, and while we are letting go of our need to control the process of anyone else, we are taking within our lives complete accountability for our own experience."

http://seriousvanity.com/how-to-cultivate-unconditional-love-and-change-the-world/

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#3: February 17, 2020, 04:55:21 AM
What caught my eye was the oxytocin nasal spray.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

t
#4: February 17, 2020, 06:26:48 AM
What caught my eye was the oxytocin nasal spray.

;) I know. That sounds like a good one, doesn’t it. Here’s more info on the role of it and some of the studies.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/feb08/oxytocin

Oxytocin is one of the easy ones to foster and supplement, though. It literally can be activated by something as simple as touch or even just a meaningful caring conversation. If you look up “oxytocin and pets”, the first page of results turns up a statement that oxytocin in dogs levels up as much as 57% after spending 10 minutes playing with their owners. Oxytocin is a key benefit of breastfeeding, for both mother and baby. Men supposedly have “less” of it, but may have oxytocin benefit from something as simple and hands-off as a deep conversation with another good male friend or colleague, and of course also through the skin contact of intimacy.

Apparently oxytocin doesn’t linger for men as long as for women. Anecdotally (because I don’t remember my sources just now), the benefit from an oxytocin event may linger for women for something like three days, where for men, the oxytocin level and benefit is reduced within 24 hours.

Sorry, gents. And I’ll post link if I find a trustworthy one that supports that. But, in general, if you think men may need more of something that increases oxytocin level or benefit, that might be true, and it’s a function of the human body and design. Not something men can really be faulted or judged for. You know?

Oxytocin does have an opposite effect, as well. This is probably where it’s being held up in studies and not available as a purchasable prescribable product and solution for the masses. For one thing, oxytocin is the one that studies showed might render subjects more likely to give large amounts of money to a total stranger. But check this out:

https://www.livescience.com/amp/42198-what-is-oxytocin.html

Oxytocin can literally amplify negative perceptions also, in ways I wouldn’t have expected. So we really are all still learning about this natural “love drug” that is made and activated in our own brains and bodies, and like any drug, it has benefits and unpleasant aspects that we may want to avoid or at least pay concerted attention to. Just a thought: if oxytocin is elevated during the limerence stage of an bonding relationship — say, an affair, for instance — it may very well be that the oxytocin produced in an illicit relationship is what causes an MLC spouse to resent and spew at and otherwise mistreat the faithful spouse waiting at home. Because the wires got crossed and oxytocin now phrases the MLC spouse’s social perceptions of the marital relationship more negatively.

Maybe. That’s just a thought; I didn’t know until about 20 minutes ago that oxytocin played any negative role.

The main point is that oxytocin is not something you have to buy. So if it does ever hit the marketplace, be aware that the marketing of it is devised to evoke certain feelings and to persuade you that you need this thing that you may not actually legitimately need. Always be careful of that. You can harness your own oxytocin mechanisms and foster them in others. Be a hugger. Be a caring and affectionate person. Play, laugh, enjoy. Be in beautiful places. Smile at strangers and babies and old people and young children. See the good in life. Get a dog or a cat, a horse or a bird. Nurture yourself and others. You don’t need a prescription or credit card really for most of that.

Vasopressin is another one that seems like a solution, or a problem. It’s present in both women and men, but in men supposedly it factors more “importantly”, and can correlate somehow to levels of commitment or fidelity. I definitely do not recall my sources for that so if you’re looking at neurotransmitters, just dig around a bit. It still also is not something we need pharmaceutically, or for profit, and from what I remember, it would be more challenging for its negative qualities. I’ll post trustworthy link if and when I find one.

My takeaway from studying these subjects some time ago was and is that we all are fearfully and wonderfully made. There is such a thing as God’s intelligent design, and each of us is a living breathing example of it every moment of our lives.

I hope this helps a bit. The thing about monetizing or commoditizing these factors is that they can be grossly misused, and someone else makes the profit and creates a dependency or perception that just doesn’t need to exist. We have the ability to produce these effects within our own brains and bodies, naturally and even involuntarily.

And the bigger thing, maybe, is that if we rely on a pharmaceutical product or treatment to manufacture or amplify them “artificially”, we may be missing the point of a deficiency, which might be that this person we love is not a good/safe person for us to cultivate or maintain intimate bonds with.

For evidence of that idea, look into how oral contraceptives affect a woman’s mate choice. !

These are rabbit holes, so we can spend a LOT of time studying and learning here. But there’s a lot to be said for that learning.

Just trust, that we are designed well. Be cautious of pharmaceutical and marketing promises, and ;) DON’T TAKE ANY WOODEN NICKELS.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.