Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion RCR on Unfaithful series on OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) & Huffington Post panel

• When the world sends you lemons - make lemonade!
It doesn't surprise me that they used some questionable editing and that the story was skewed for the program.  This is an "entertainment" program - even if it is also aired for informational purposes.

Even news stories are skewed - as the editors and writers choose what they want to include and exclude - which portrays a story in the view of the person making those choices. 

I guess, if a program wanted to show only my MLCers viewpoint of what has happened in my life - he could easily be portrayed as the "victim" of a shrewish wife?

I haven't seen the program.  OWN is on in my area and it seems that the station repeats programs quite often. 

I think it is great that they portrayed your story.

I hope I can see it sometime.

Hugs,

Limitless
M -62,  ExH - 69 (56 at BD)
M - 33 years (do the last 3 years count?)
D - 33, D -29, S - 29
BD 5/29/2010, Ran away from home - 8/15/2010,
Found out about affair - 2/11
H asks for divorce - 8/11
H filed for divorce 10/11
Announced "new" girlfriend 12/12 (3rd OW)
Divorce final 06/13 (I decided to finish it)
Dumped OW#3 9/15 (After 4 years)
Married OW#1 2019
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions For Newbies
The Mentor Program
Report Technical Problems

It takes one person to forgive, it takes two people to be reunited.
(Lewis B. Smedes)

L
Thanks, DF! (Hee, we have the "same" nickname!) I managed to see that clip--wish we could see more, from outside the US.

Also, DF, love your quote. I had the privilege of meeting Lewis Smedes and his wife as a kid many years ago. He was my father's mentor, but I always remember him as being the one to introduce Dr Seuss to me. I read one of his books much later, and it only reinforced what a lovely man I remembered him to be.

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
It doesn't surprise me that they used some questionable editing and that the story was skewed for the program.  This is an "entertainment" program - even if it is also aired for informational purposes.

And we talked about this during shooting. They were understandably concerned about all the in-outs and that people would not be accepting of that, so they wanted to condense them. I get it. And they did need to condense 3.5 years and I understand there was a lot of drama that was really to extensive for the 20 or so minutes of airtime. Makes me wonder about the other stories.

I haven't seen the program.  OWN is on in my area and it seems that the station repeats programs quite often.

They repeated last weeks episodes before they aired this weeks, so if they do that again, my story should air at 8:30 next Saturday. They also repeated them all throughout the night and into the wee morning hours.

I posted a comment on the above link, we shall see if they allow it as it has a link to the main website and your story.

Thanks for trying. I found some rules for the OWN community and assume they also apply to these comment sections. No links allowed. It looks like your comment either has already been removed or did not pass moderation.
The rules also say no self-promotion, so I need to stay away from it I think.

http://on.aol.com/video/chuck-and-kenda-ruth--mistress-ultimatum---leave-your-wife-or-ill-get-an-abortion-517668353
Found it. This link works if you are outside the us...

Awesome! Thank you so much. I just put this and the other link to this clip up on facebook.

• Mentor
  • How I long for your precepts! Psalm 119:40
Yes! Just to confirm that the link works here in Brazil too!!
Thanks for that , I had just about gotten resigned to the fact that I wouldn't be able to see it :(
M 61
H 61
S 31
D 28
BD 13 Dec 2010
Divorced 27 Feb 2015 (30 years marriage)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

• Administrator
OK maybe I will try again with no links.

Here is what I posted
Great Job Kenda-Ruth and Chuck.
It is so nice to hear a success story about mid life crisis and infidelity.
Your strength and commitment really shine through.
The fact that Chuck came and left 8 times really put you on a rollercoaster.
Standing up for your marriage is something that many people can hope to aspire to.

It made it through moderation! :) :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:51:12 AM by OldPilot »

s
  • MLCer Type: Vanisher
The link is watchable from the UK? Well done and what a brave move. I am sure your story RCR will stand many in good stead and give hope and courage.
The actors were very good matches.
Me 46 (now 52)
H   47 (now53)
Bomb drop 14/07/09
Ow still there 01/12/11 Married on Valentines Day 2012 at Gretna!
together 28 yrs Divorce finalised Sept 11.
M 22 Years 28/05
D16 (now 22)
D22 (now 27)

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
OK maybe I will try again with no links.

Here is what I posted
Great Job Kenda-Ruth and Chuck.
It is so nice to hear a success story about mid life crisis and infidelity.
Your strength and commitment really shine through.
The fact that Chuck came and left 8 times really put you on a rollercoaster.
Standing up for your marriage is something that many people can hope to aspire to.

It made it through moderation! :) :)

Awesome and thanks. I just responded. I think I am safe responding or answering a question, but I don't want to violate the rules with blatant self-promotion. I referenced The Hero's Spouse website and I hope that is okay. I may go to the other clip and post something more neutral just so I can be notified when there are comments.

A
I watched last night. You both did a wonderful job.  As OP said your strength and commitment really do shine through. 

I actually watched a four segments.  Couldn't help feeling compassion for all those effected by infidelity including the perpetrators.  Although they do sensationalize things on the program they do a good job of showing it is not a bowl of cherries for anyone involved. 

Of course I am able to watch this now form a totally different perspective then I would have had pre-BD. It is good that you have been able to show others that a marriage can survive and thrive.

Well done RCR.

• No expectations=No disappointments=Less tears
I only got to watch the link attached in a previous post on here .. and it brought me to tears.
I have so much respect for the both of you. The pain, the remorse, the LOVE is so evident. The raw emotion of what you both endured and survived shines through.
And i agree with another comment on here, when Chuck said he thought of you all the time... it just hit home. They don't forget us. They can't.
Thank you so much for sharing your story and helping all of us in similar situations.
You are an inspiration ♥
'And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music'

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.