Skip to main content

Author Topic: Interacting with Your MLCer Christmas Present Ideas for the MLC person in your life

T
  • MLCer Type: Off-N-On
  • Off & On Contact; High-Energy Replyer
Interacting with Your MLCer Re: Christmas presents for MLCers - Yes or No?
#10: November 07, 2013, 11:26:29 AM
Christmas 2011, I give her quite a few gifts (still reeling after BD a month earlier), she gave me a few things (probably already bought from pre-BD days).

Christmas 2012, I gave her some chocolate, a pair of leather driving gloves, and some stocking gifts . She gave me nothing.

Christmas 2013, I will probably give her a few token gifts; I expect nothing in return. Two years in and she keeps going deeper into the tunnel.
On many long journeys have I gone. And waited, too, for others to return from journeys of their own. Some return; some are broken; some come back so different only their names remain.

YODA, Dark Rendezvous

Re: Christmas presents for MLCers - Yes or No?
#11: November 07, 2013, 11:31:44 AM
Just chiming in here....every Christmas Eve, we have given the kids new pajamas.  That has been the tradition in MY home since before H and I got together.  I do not intend to stop that tradition now that H has left.  I will invite H over for Christmas Eve because I know that he will want to be there for the kids.  As far as a gift, H mentioned something that he wanted to get for himself, and I thought about talking to the kids about all of us going in on it together.  If the kids are okay with it, then the gift will be from all of us, and not just from me.  I am still contemplating whether or not I want to get him a gift that is just from me.  I still have some time to think about that one. 

To me, it is all a personal choice.  There is no right or wrong way in this.  If you feel comfortable giving your MLCer a gift, knowing full well that you most likely will not get one, then by all means, do what you feel is right for you.  If you do not feel comfortable giving your MLCer a gift, there is nothing that says you HAVE to give them a gift.  The CHOICE is solely yours, and yours alone! 

CT  8)   
"I am a woman who only asked that I be treated fairly and with respect."
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowlege Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
"Its hard to wait around for something you know might never happen; but its harder to give up when you know its everything you want." – Unknown

B
  • Don't believe everything you think.
#12: November 07, 2013, 11:34:00 AM
Snowdrop,
Your situation is very different to mine. I completely understand your stance on this.
We can have a lovely, special party thread here on Christmas eve.  I'll be here  :D xx
'Nothing worth having comes easy'
BD oct 1st 2012. 2 teens- 2 Dogs. Together 16 years, not married. No OW in sight. Foo issues a go-go.

D

DCD

#13: November 07, 2013, 11:42:54 AM
tricky!

the first christmas after husband left, i ended up spending more on him than anybody else (with the exception of son) and got the most gawdawful beaded necklace thingy (i can't believe he even picked it out...) and a candle.  this from the man who used to buy big rubbermaid bins to use as my stocking.  i was heartbroken, not from the lack of gifts but because of what it represented.  i still hadn't found out about OW at that time.

i would not buy husband a gift if it weren't for son, but what i now get him (same every year - doesn't even have to bother opening it, because i'm sure he can easily guess) is a 5x7 of son's school pic (i bought him a frame for the second christmas after he left - he can change that out or not) and a $25 gift card for son's favourite restaurant so they can go together.  last year, during his failed return attempt, i added a couple of cigars and i'm glad i didn't go overboard because within a month, he was gone again. 

some days are yellow
some days are blue
on different days, i'm different too
you'd be surprised how many ways
i change on different-colored days.
 - dr. seuss

S
#14: November 07, 2013, 12:04:03 PM
Maybe I can send him a photo of me and the kids outside the soup kitchen, but then again, he probably won't get it as he will be on vacation somewhere in the South Pacific with OW.

Wish I was kidding on this one :o
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

B
#15: November 07, 2013, 12:06:59 PM
You won't be outside a soup kitchen!
You'll be in your kitchen pouring out some sort of drink to join in the osrty, here :)
BD oct 1st 2012. 2 teens- 2 Dogs. Together 16 years, not married. No OW in sight. Foo issues a go-go.

S
#16: November 07, 2013, 12:09:56 PM
You won't be outside a soup kitchen!
You'll be in your kitchen pouring out some sort of drink to join in the osrty, here
You are absolutely right.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

B
#17: November 07, 2013, 12:36:16 PM
What's an osrty?  :o

Hehe, I will be here with a bottle of irish cream and chocolates. And my kids, trying to rob me of it all :)

S
#18: November 07, 2013, 12:52:35 PM
What's an osrty? 
Doesn't matter, I'll join anyway.  I'm guessing its a party due to it being Christmas? ;)

Reminds me, some of those gifts from last year still sitting in the garage, in fact most of them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:53:59 PM by Snowdrop »

Albert Einstein

B
#19: November 07, 2013, 12:53:06 PM
I've always tried hard to surprise H with Christmas gifts.  Last year, pre BD I had printed off details of places to visit in NZ and added a little note that we could plan our first holiday together.  I debated after BD whether to give it to him or not and ended up giving him the envelope when we were alone on Christmas night.  It went unopened for about 6 weeks.  He said later he thought it was a list of demands from me ( it was one very fat envelope so the thought of it being a list must have been scarey :) )

I bought tickets for a concert that I know he likes just before he left!  The concert is at the beginning of December.  I have given him the tickets saying it is an early Christmas present, and he can take whoever he likes.  The tickets are still sat here on his desk.  I refuse to think about the waste of money if he doesn't use them, not my problem.

I'm not expecting anything from H this year either.  Christmas pre-BD I got nothing!!  Last year (big family Christmas with D and SIL from overseas) it was a gift voucher from a hardware store, which was bought on Christmas Eve, at the same time as he was buying nuts and bolts for a work project (showed up on the business credit card!) For my 50th birthday last month a got a generic card in the mail with 'from H'.  Made me feel really good!
Hour by hour, day by day

Discovered EA Aug 2012
BD  Dec 2012
Left home  Sept 2013

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.