Skip to main content

Poll

Did your MLC'er suffer from childhood abuse (physically, emotionally or other)?

Yes
65 (70.7%)
No
17 (18.5%)
Don't Know
10 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Discussion Why isn't MLC recognised medically and in society?

About the poll results, I wonder how many of those who answered "No" actually don't really know. Could it be that some MLCers have hidden the abuse from their spouses? I mean it would be harder to hide abuse by parents, but say the abuse was by a family friend or clergy, would the LBS actually know for sure?

Great point!  The poll results have got me seriously thinking.  I pray that my kids don't suffer a similiar MLC episode when they are older.  Surely it won't be a domino affect?
Me 47
Him 47
OW 32
Married - 20 years
Together - 28 years
BD - Nov 2014 - reason for affair said I controlled his life, wore flannelette pyjama pants to bed and drove our family car 🤔
Moved in with Young OW and her 2 kids Jan 2015
Total Vanisher
Divorced Sept 2016
S21, S17, S16 (autism), D14

🌹🌹Let's be real...Bren is the only one who can do Bren. I'm the best Bren on the planet. Trying to turn a skank into a Bren? That will surely end in disappointment, if it hasn't already.🌹🌹

❤❤Family isn't an important thing.  IT IS EVERYTHING!! ❤❤

Vanished Return Stories Thread #1 - https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9088.0;all
Vanisher Return Stories Link Thread #2 - https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9378.new#new

nah

• His mlc...too bad for him
   He was angry with me b/c in his words, "everyone says I'm stupid, I'm not stupid you know".  He kept repeating this same phrase again and again to me at one of our divorce hearings.  He calmed down when I finally said that I had no idea who called him stupid and I never said anything to anybody about him being stupid.

Nah, for some unknown reason my husband has made reference to me during contact (which is almost non existent) that he is not stupid.  He has repeated this several times.   I always reply to him that I have never called him stupid and would never say that because he is not.......unsure if this is something that his father constantly said to him when he was growing up and in his confused state blames me?  Everything seems to be my fault in his eyes ATM 😢

I am one of the lucky few who had the opportunity to get a glimpse into what was really happening in MLC land after the fact.  More details are in some of my old threads but after about two years of me breaking HS rules and stalking my husbands band page with a broken heart as my former friends welcomed the girl and husband with open arms I was told the truth.

In pictures everything looked like they were having the times of their lives but I was told after husband was kicked out of the band that ALL the wives either turned their backs or right out ripped them apart to their faces.  Most normal people aren't happy when a long term marriage gets broken apart by an obvious home wrecker. 

Also, his former coworkers (he has been fired) and former hockey friends (she won't let him play) all friends for over 20 years have confirmed that yes they were calling him stupid for leaving me.  I didn't know this at the time.  Of course, in true MLC fashion they can't look at themselves and their actions so they blame the LBS for manipulating these people.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were others that gave him/them a hard time that I don't even know about.
H-55
me-53
ow-31
married 1986
BD April 6 2013 day after family went out for sons birthday.
I packed his bags two days later...semi-vanisher
https://heneversaidaword.com

nah

• His mlc...too bad for him
I also think that there isn't money to be made on this issue which is why it fails to be addressed at the medical and professional levels. 
What do you mean there isn't any money to be made on this? Do you know how much money I've paid to divorce lawyers? That's why nothing is done about it.

Yes, and as we all know.... most marriage counselors are really divorce counselors.
H-55
me-53
ow-31
married 1986
BD April 6 2013 day after family went out for sons birthday.
I packed his bags two days later...semi-vanisher
https://heneversaidaword.com

In pictures everything looked like they were having the times of their lives but I was told after husband was kicked out of the band that ALL the wives either turned their backs or right out ripped them apart to their faces.  Most normal people aren't happy when a long term marriage gets broken apart by an obvious home wrecker. 

This part gets me so confused.....why do they paint a story to everyone that they are happy?  More lies?  I was told that my ex-h spent 4 hours in the gym on Christmas Day, who in a new HAPPY relationship does that?  How can the OW think that this is normal?  I would be offended personally if i was her.  Our Christmas's have always been spent with lots of Family, enjoying time together.  When I was told this it confirmed my faith in the whole MLC process.
Me 47
Him 47
OW 32
Married - 20 years
Together - 28 years
BD - Nov 2014 - reason for affair said I controlled his life, wore flannelette pyjama pants to bed and drove our family car 🤔
Total Vanisher
Divorced Sept 2016

🌹🌹Let's be real...Bren is the only one who can do Bren. I'm the best Bren on the planet. Trying to turn a skank into a Bren? That will surely end in disappointment, if it hasn't already.🌹🌹

Vanished Return Stories Thread #1 - https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9088.0;all
Vanisher Return Stories Link Thread #2 - https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9378.new#new

• Stronger than yesterday....
I also think that there isn't money to be made on this issue which is why it fails to be addressed at the medical and professional levels. 
What do you mean there isn't any money to be made on this? Do you know how much money I've paid to divorce lawyers? That's why nothing is done about it.
I am sorry, MyBrainIsBroken.  I didn't think of lawyers when I posted that.  Yes, they make money off MLCs for sure. 
When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold.  They believe that when something’s suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful ~ Barbara Bloom

M
There's no need to apologize Belle. I knew what you meant. I also know the divorce industry makes a lot of money from MLC divorces. I don't believe the divorce industry is discouraging MLC research but I don't think the divorce lawyers are standing up and saying something isn't right here. They just continue dismantling marriages and raking in their fees.

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
I voted yes.  While he never said anything to indicate any form of abuse in his childhood, I have been around his F enough to suspect emotional abuse.  I see it with the way that FIL talks to his wife sometimes as well.  Both FIL and MLC'er are very "authoritarian" and often broke myself and the children's spirits. 

I pray that my own kids can break the cycle.  I have prayed against generational curses. 

I think it is recognized in society, but with an absolutely skewed version/vision of what it really is.  I only wish that it was recognized medically.
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

R
I'm late yet wanted to add there are other factors in MLC other then abuse. There is abandonment, neglect and other things. Sometimes it's as small as the child didn't feel loved.

So while I agree with C4E and Rossbren, people really have got to realize that a MLC is healing childhood issues and has nothing to do with the MLCers present state in the least.

Sometimes it's just so private, whatever it was in the MLCers childhood, the LBS just may have no clue.

It really is a shame the MLCer went their entire life avoiding the issues or they were dug so deep in their subconscious the MLCer just was never able to talk about it years ago yet unresolved childhood issues exactly what MLC/MLT  are from.

It's also a real shame for the innocent LBS that had no idea where this came from at all.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:19:19 PM by Elegance »

• Waiting for my Prodigal to return to the fold.
Mid life crisis. That's not a real thing is it?

Well, it depends who you ask.

Over the last few days I have been finding myself quote on several posts for LBS's to not mention to people in the  REAL world about standing for our partners during their Mid Life Crisis....in fear that firstly that they would think that you are absolutely CRAZY and secondly they have no idea what you are on about....isn't MLC about buying a sports car?   

Over the last 2 years I have read  thousands of articles about MLC.  Ironically, I have found out that I am not alone in my train wreck life, but there are thousands of people, from all parts of the world, that have/are experiencing similar or identical issues with their long term partners.   There are forums everywhere, other people telling MY story,  yet I do not know them.

I have spoken to my Doctor about my husbands MLC, and he shot me down and bluntly said that MLC does not exist and is a falicy.  'People use it as an excuse to justify bad behaviour".  Hmmmmm.....this could possibility be true.

One thing I know is that we are not crazy.  All of our spouses are playing out their scripts so well, academy award nominees! 

It has got me confused as to why MLC is not recognised?  Surely some very well educated medical guru would have done a thesis on MLC?  There are far too many occurrences for it not to be recognised.  MLC has been going on for years. If not centuries?

Does anyone have any thoughts/theories?

Ps - I know we should be focusing on ourselves.  But sometimes in life you need to ask why?

Take care fellow LBS's, sending you all lots of long hard hugs (that only a LBS would understand the importance of) 😘😘😘
Hi Rossbren, try reading the Midus survey by Brim et al. (2004) it is the only empirical evidence for midlife crisi I know of, 26% of those who participated said they had a midlife crisis.
Kind regards
Jackolar12

Jackolar12 thankyou for your reply.  You have me entrigued..... I have tried googling Midus survey by Brim et al. (2004) to no avail.  I can see an abstract on the research but nothing else.  Can you please suggest where I can get access to this?
Me 47
Him 47
OW 32
Married - 20 years
Together - 28 years
Total Vanisher
Divorced Sept 2016

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.